• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

What did Polygon give them don't wanna give them a click I don't have adblock on

No score yet but this is a quote and the tone of the article is leaning towards negative based on its difficulty. Essentially, they sound like they feel like the pay-off isn't worth the difficulty from what I read. They find the boss fights particularly frustrating.

"This is almost certainly the most difficult game we’ve ever had to review in our decade-plus of writing about games."

I'm really trying fucking hard here not to bring up that Doom video...

Polygon what are you even doing? Ahahaha. Perhaps they ought to be reviewing polygons instead of games at this point. "It's a nice 461-gon, 8/10 not enough rounded corners."

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No score yet but this is a quote and the tone of the article is leaning towards negative based on its difficulty. Essentially, they sound like they feel like the pay-off isn't worth the difficulty from what I read. They find the boss fights particularly frustrating.

"This is almost certainly the most difficult game we’ve ever had to review in our decade-plus of writing about games."

I got you fam.

giphy.gif

2378887-1059010195-ibz5N.gif

Polygon+plays+doom_8f89df_5939464.gif

Hastati

I think co op should be considered as Nioh's challenge slider when talking about difficulty, I'm awful at videogames and have poor coordination and completed the beta in like a day with help.

Also uh
why does autocorrect change Nioh to boobs

Hell, even the reviewer from Destructoid is in that Polygon article's comments saying that if you finished Ninja Gaiden on hard, it's not that hard.

I just noticed that as well. Destructoid reviewer essentially saying 'come on now...' in a very nice way in the comments.

If the latest demo was anything to go by, when using medium weight equipment and both your level and your equipment's level is where it should be, the game's just about as hard as Ninja Gaiden on normal.

Unless there's been a difficulty increase, it's being overstated significantly.

Eolz

I think co op should be considered as Nioh's challenge slider when talking about difficulty, I'm awful at videogames and have poor coordination and completed the beta in like a day with help.

Also uh

Yeah, coop really helps in Nioh, just like Souls. I really like how they chose to design it too.

Regarding spoiler:
Team Ninja! :p

Unknown?

What did Polygon give Demons Souls? I seem to remember them giving it a good score. They're going to be "that one" aren't they?

I brought this up in one of the other Nioh threads a couple weeks ago. I also felt that the boss fights, at least in the last trial, were a little bit too unforgiving. I didn't have as much trouble killing the Watchdog in Bloodbornes Chalice Dungeons as trying to beat the ogress boss. Imo they do too much damage, have a too large health pool and the hitboxes felt worse than in some of the Dark Souls negative examples.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
To be fair to Polygon, patience & observation is a requirement for this game. So I'm not really holding my breath for them finishing the actual game.

ironcreed

Banned

God forbid you feel rewarded for learning how to master a fight and feel your growth/progression pay off.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Also uh

Because you've searched for more boobs than Nioh.

No seriously, you tell us.

Curufinwe

What did Polygon give Demons Souls? I seem to remember them giving it a good score. They're going to be "that one" aren't they?

But their reviews editor stated people only liked Demon's Souls because it was a Japanese PS3 exclusive, and that Dark Souls only reviewed well because members of the gaming press who liked Demon's Souls made sure they got the review assignment for Dark Souls.

A variation on his "God Hand conspiracy" theory for why Vanquish got good reviews.

Ratrat

I brought this up in one of the other Nioh threads a couple weeks ago. I also felt that the boss fights, at least in the last trial, were a little bit too unforgiving. I didn't have as much trouble killing the Watchdog in Bloodbornes Chalice Dungeons as trying to beat the ogress boss. Imo they do too much damage, have a too large health pool and the hitboxes felt worse than in some of the Dark Souls negative examples.
Wierd. Most Nioh players find her a joke. I found her pretty challenging thouh, but she would not even be in the upper tier of hard bosses in DS3 or Bloodborne imo.

Bronetta

But their reviews editor stated people only liked Demon's Souls because it was a Japanese PS3 exclusive, and that Dark Souls only reviewed well because members of the gaming press who liked Demon's Souls made sure they got the review assignment for Dark Souls.

A variation on his "Godhand conspiracy" theory for why Vanquish got good reviews.

Really, they said that? What a fucking moron, talk about having an agenda.

Up to 87 now? Daaaaamn as a Dark Souls fan this is really exciting that we may have a new player on the board, that does some things similarly but also has its own take / flavor.

I could see this becoming a cool franchise

I can't say I had nearly as much trouble with her, it was about on par with Bloodborne for me. I can see where the criticism regarding the health pools comes from, especially if you want to stay agile and focus on low stance, but the hitbox thing I can't agree on. Once I figured out the bosses' movesets precisely, I never had any issues with unfairly getting clipped by their attacks.

After beating her once, I started throwing my whole arsenal at her to see how that all works/feels/whatever, and it was definitely the most fun I had with her. I'm talking about your rechargeable spells, buffs, guardian special attacks and so on. Using all those tools in conjunction with regular melee made the fight surprisingly fast.

A variation on his "God Hand conspiracy" theory for why Vanquish got good reviews.

This actually happened?

Metacritic says "#1 Best PS4 Game of 2017"

Wonder if Horizon or NIER will be able to steal that away. :p
December thru April so far is just a high quality train on PlayStation I bet

Last guardian
Gravity rush 2
Kh2.8
Nioh
Horizon is next to be judged(looking like it'll be a hit unless it shits the bed latter which I doubt)
Neir(Yoko enough said)
Persona 5

Jamiaro

Polygon what are you even doing? Ahahaha. Perhaps they ought to be reviewing polygons instead of games at this point. "It's a nice 461-gon, 8/10 not enough rounded corners."

There are many kids-games (Lego Marvel Superheroes for example) out there. Maybe Polygon could focus on those instead? :D

Eolz

I think Horizon does but Neir will probably be 83-85, my guess though.

Yeah, I think reviewers won't really be fans of the non-Platinum combat parts, and even then, will be a difficult sell.
I wouldn't bet yet on Horizon either, but at least it has this mainstream appeal. I see it being at 87 too tbh.

Bronetta

Backlog be damned, Im getting this day 1. We dont get nearly enough character action games nowadays (or ARPGs with good combat however you wanna put it)

What is the OT title going to be? Praise the nioh or something

This is NiohGAF was pretty good imo.

Do people still think Polygon don't have a bias against Sony exclusives?

They consistently score Sony exclusives down and MS's up. Haven't clicked on their site for 3-4 years as a result, avoid any links to their content like the plague, their ethics are down the drain.

Eolz

They consistently score Sony exclusives down and MS's up. Haven't clicked on their site for 3-4 years as a result, avoid any links to their content like the plague, their ethics are down the drain.

Not really when they see how they react to most Nintendo exclusives as well. They just have issues with too many kind of games. When it's too challenging, when there's "problematic" content, when they don't like the controls, etc.
On top of that, there's the time when they wanted people to do reviews for them, all while the editor would choose the score in the end, even if it was contradictory with the text...

Lingitiz

There's no bias, but that doesn't mean they're a good review outlet. I know not to put any weight into Gies' reviews since it seems like the guy has never played a dual analog game in his life.

Xliskin

How long is the single-player in this game??

I know they said around 70 hours but is this true ? did anyone talked about it ?

Top Bottom