• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

KodaRuss

Alright fuck. Guess Ill get this. The biggest question is will I have time to get through this game before Horizon comes out...

Polygon never ceases to amaze. It is really damn hard I will give them that but the last trial felt right to me where the first beta felt just tough as hell.

Been a while since I have played a Team Ninja game, looking forward to it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
How long is the single-player in this game??

I know they said around 70 hours but is this true ? did anyone talked about it ?
Gamespot dude mentioned 40 hours clocked in already and still wasn't finished with the main campaign. I'm sure it'll vary from person to person & playstyle to playstyle.

Eolz

How long is the single-player in this game??

I know they said around 70 hours but is this true ? did anyone talked about it ?

I remember reading 40h earlier and a bit more if you want side content.
No idea if that's true and the skill of the one saying it though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So the game doesn't have a difdiculty slider?

Let me guess, you can't also pause it?

Well you can try harder missions called twilight missions that are based on the regular maps but with rearranged and harder enemies but better loot of course. The game relies more on armor so you can gear up and be able to absorb and deal out a lot of damage, that and things like weapon crafting and such.

As to pausing I don't believe you can but luckily the load times in this game after dying are like 2 seconds long.

Skatterd

I've long been a proponent of people having their own opinion about games for reviews even if it's bucking the norm etc.

But that Polygon article reads like they literally got to the first boss and got stuck and turned it off.

N° 2048

How am I supposed to do Nioh, Yakuza 0, Night in the Woods all before Horizon?

Zelda and Nier start of March...SO MANY DAMN GAMES.

Hell, even the reviewer from Destructoid is in that Polygon article's comments saying that if you finished Ninja Gaiden on hard, it's not that hard.

The real weird bit is that he wrote this
If you finished Ninja Gaiden on Hard, you’ll be fine here.

It’s not that Nioh is easy, far from it (some bosses have 2-3 hit combos, or insta-kill laser beams), but you should be able to manage. As long as you can remember to press R1 after nearly every sword/weapon combo, you should be fine in terms of Ki (stamina) management. It’s not mythically difficult, just trying at times when you hit that road block boss that takes you an hour.

Source: Has complete Nioh, and Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja.

which means that he proooobably beat the game without buying ki pulse on dodge >__>

KodaRuss

Whenever I would run into a difficult part in Souls or other games like this I would just start pouring stat points into health to help makeup for my mistakes. I wonder if that just isnt possible in Nioh or not that helpful since the boss health is so high.

Lifeline

As long as Polygon figures out how to get good, I can see the game ending up at 90. All the other reviews in progress seem to be positive.

Pretty good couple of weeks for Japanese developers.

Koei nailed it, they needed a game like this. Hope it does well sales wise, at least the Souls/Onimusha crowd should pick it up.

The betas were awesome, glad the full game delivered.

Hastati

Koei nailed it, they needed a game like this. Hope it does well sales wise, at least the Souls/Onimusha crowd should pick it up.

If amazon rankings are any indication it looks like the reviews might have given it a bit of a boost, hopefully word of mouth carries it into the realm of being a financial success.

sackninja

Koei are only publishimg it in japan, don't think they have any involvement with this game in the west. Correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not certain.

Zetta

Always feels good to see a game you're 100% certain you're getting gets great scores. Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy tomorrow so I can then start my Kusarigama run.

FiraB

Banned
A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.
I want to like this game, but my experience from both the alpha and LTC were fairly miserable; I find the game simply too difficult, and I'm a Souls veteran =/

Simply wait then, pick it up later when the cost isn't such a bother because people will be playing this for a while I reckon.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Now I'm worried :/

Game is definitely more "difficult" than Souls...at first. It's just got a deeper, faster combat system going on that takes a bit to get used to. On the plus side, when you pull off a proper set of combos and ki-pulses it's incredibly rewarding.

Zaventem

A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.
I want to like this game, but my experience from both the alpha and LTC were fairly miserable; I find the game simply too difficult, and I'm a Souls veteran =/

As stated multiple times in many reviews the standard difficulty is EASIER than souls games and less obtuse thanks to the gear system in this game, the entry difficulty in levels might be harder by over time that isn't the case. Haven't seen much on twilight mode.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.

Curious what weapons did you use? Because certain weapons are less ideal for the Souls play style approach.

Axe/Hammer and maybe spears are the best for the Souls style wait for opening, be patient, strike and run approach. Other weapons require more adjustment in how to approach combat.

A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.

I've played all including Bloodborne except DS3, but I've only finished DS1. Not because of the difficulty though, just haven't got the time. Anyway, I managed to finished the Last Chance demo just fine. It took me a bit longer than the veterans, but it wasn't THAT hard. The key is that sometimes we need to remember that Nioh is not really a Souls game.

Excellent reception, faith in professional reviewers restored.

Has there been a clear verdict on enemy and area variety yet? I feel like I keep seeing the same settings and yokai again and again.

Anung

Un Rama
A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.

I wouldn't be surprised if prior Dark Souls experience might actually be detrimental since this game seems to have a different gameplay flow.

Fucking hell, 10/10 from Jim fucking Sterling?!

Also guys,

"Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki" , is clearly superior, or even "Nioh |OT| Thanks Kodama"

As stated multiple times in many reviews the standard difficulty is EASIER than souls games and less obtuse thanks to the gear system in this game, the entry difficulty in levels might be harder by over time that isn't the case. Haven't seen much on twilight mode.

Yeh, even the last chance beta made that clear. It's a lot easier to get into than Souls I would say, the battle system makes it more skill oriented though, which people could find difficult in its own way. I guess the latter shows that Ninja Gaiden DNA so to speak and I personally feel the TYPE of difficulty is more along NG lines than it is Soulsborne.

Top Bottom