• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How is "leveling-up" handled? Is it experience point based? Sometimes I feel the only way I'm able to play the souls games is because I'm able to over level some bosses and areas.

Its very similar to souls. The main way to get beefed up is farming items, crafting stronger ones and then turning them into another weapon entirely if you prefer the look of something else.

Unknown?

No option to play in japanese voice with eng subs?
The characters who are from Japan speak Japanese. The main character is English so he speaks English. In all regions. They speak their native tongue but they all understand each other despite that. Lol

Baalzebup

How is "leveling-up" handled? Is it experience point based? Sometimes I feel the only way I'm able to play the souls games is because I'm able to over level some bosses and areas.
You character is leveled in the exact same way as in Souls. It is the itemization and how gear is handled that differs in the numbers department.
The characters who are from Japan speak Japanese. The main character is English so he speaks English. In all regions. They speak their native tongue but they all understand each other despite that. Lol
Err, no, they have made a point that William cannot understand Japanese in the beginning of the game and the few locals that know English translate to and for him.

Do they actually understand each other?

From the official cutscenes shown in trailers We have a scenes where Hanzo has to translate what William said to Tokugawa, and scenes where Okatsu has to speak in English to William

Raptor

I like this.

sounds hilarious to me and awesome at the same time.

Elios83

Wow metacritic is going up since this morning.

Btw I hope that the story is still funny and relatively interesting being it a single player game.

DrD

Watching the Game Informer video on How to Play Nioh, it has more character customization than I was expecting. The Diablo style loot system along with crafting and reforging to come up with the best gear is going to be addicting. Then you have refashion so your awesome gear can also look stylish.

HeelPower

Watching the Game Informer video on How to Play Nioh, it has more character customization than I was expecting. The Diablo style loot system along with crafting and reforging to come up with the best gear is going to be addicting. Then you have refashion so your awesome gear can also look stylish.

The customization is really sophisticated.

They aren't just stat modifiers,there are different move sets for different classes of weapons.

Its really,really deep.

Even the cosmetic aspect of it has tons of options.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The polygon write up is funny. Iirc in the Alpha the Yokai type enemies or bosses, are not governed by the same stamina rules as the humanoid characters. Each time you hit a Yokai you take away some of their "stamina" once you deplete it completely you can stunlock them for a few seconds and deal massive damage. Pretty sure Yokai bosses are governed by the same rules, because I remember using it to my advantage during the boss fight in the boat in the alpha.

The thing is, though, if you turtle too much you'll never be able to deplete their stamina because they can regain it back quickly. The mechanic forces the player to be aggressive and discourages being too passive in the fights. If polygon is being too careful during boss fights I could see the fights taking a while lol.

Thats going from the Alpha, though I don't think much changed. The game was probably designed around this mechanic so I doubt they tampered with it too much, if at all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The polygon write up is funny. Iirc in the Alpha the Yokai type enemies or bosses, are not governed by the same stamina rules as the humanoid characters. Each time you hit a Yokai you take away some of their "stamina" once you deplete it completely you can stunlock them for a few seconds and deal massive damage. Pretty sure Yokai bosses are governed by the same rules, because I remember using it to my advantage during the boss fight in the boat during the alpha.

The thing is, though, if you turtle too much you'll never be able to deplete their stamina because they can regain it back quickly. The mechanic forces the player to be aggressive and discourages being too passive in the fights. If polygon is being too careful during boss fights I could see the fights taking a while lol.

Thats going from the Alpha, though I don't think much changed. The game was probably designed around this mechanic so I doubt much changed, if anything.

That's the idea. I was taking the Twilight Ogress down in under 2 minutes easy by sticking close to her and wailing on her when she got started into several of her attacks that cannot hit you and a few that are easily dodged and then leave her open for a full combo. Combined with the ki pulse dodge you can shred her.

The polygon write up is funny. Iirc in the Alpha the Yokai type enemies or bosses, are not governed by the same stamina rules as the humanoid characters. Each time you hit a Yokai you take away some of their "stamina" once you deplete it completely you can stunlock them for a few seconds and deal massive damage. Pretty sure Yokai bosses are governed by the same rules, because I remember using it to my advantage during the boss fight in the boat in the alpha.

Thats going from the Alpha, though I don't think much changed. The game was probably designed around this mechanic so I doubt they tampered with it too much, if at all.

This is accurate.

And a similiar methodology is employed for the human bosses as well, if you don't get in their face and force them to deplete their stamina you wouldn't be able to break their guard.

A common complaint in the beta was that the enemies had too much health, I doubt people weren't realizing you had to actually hit the boss a lot. I had the same problem with a lot of the enemies, so I agree with their observation. Bosses can feel like HP pools, and this depends a lot on the level of items you have equipped as well. Not just the stamina depletion mechanic.

adversarial

Yup, I love it.

My initiation game was Bloodborne and I got used to being super aggressive, so when I played the Last Chance Trial, this was right up my alley.

A common complaint in the beta was that the enemies had too much health, I doubt people weren't realizing you had to actually hit the boss a lot. I had the same problem with a lot of the enemies, so I agree with their observation. Bosses can feel like HP pools, and this depends a lot on the level of items you have equipped as well. Not just the stamina depletion mechanic.

The most recent beta? I didn't notice any issues with enemies having too much health.

I beat all those bosses in 2 minutes or less which is about in line with beating a typical Souls boss, if not less.

I guess it's just a matter of skill mixed with a play style that Ninja Theory is slightly discouraging.

Which enemies? Played all three demos and never had an issue with too much hp unless you had severely underleveled gear

rtcn63

The most recent beta? I didn't notice any issues with enemies having too much health.

I beat all those bosses in 2 minutes or less which is about in line with beating a typical Souls boss, if not less.

Yeah. One of the seemingly big differences between this and Souls is that putting even a few points into your stats (the relevant attack stat in particular) helps significantly.

Does this game have an easier story to follow/comprehend compared to Dark Souls? For me, DS had a very confusing story because you had to link the characters and places yourself to understand anything. I don't want to look at item descriptions for lore pls

If memory serves, yokai only regain stamina once it is completely depleted. They then go into that ez-stun state, and usually spawn a yokai realm, thus triggering the recovery. Same usually goes for bosses.

notable exception is the firewheel, which would fartsplode and then get some ki back.

Does this game have an easier story to follow/comprehend compared to Dark Souls? For me, DS had a very confusing story because you had to link the characters and places yourself to understand anything. I don't want to look at item descriptions for lore pls

Yes, actual cutscenes and all. It's much more straightforward in its presentation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its a traditionally told story, but at the same time there will be lore pieces in missions to give greater context to specific events

mollipen

Hopefully they have tutorials for magic, didn't even know we had that. All I did was hammer my way through in beta.

There are, but I think most of the tutorials in the game come later than they should. They kind of teach you things after it would make sense for you to have tried to figure them out on your own due to need.

Alchemist

I'll most likely pick this up with Resident Evil 7 during the summer. I still need to finish Final Fantasy, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0.

Equip the magic skill you've learned on which d-pad slot you want and press it. It's nothing complex.

Well technically you still have to-

1) equip it at the shrine (only way)
2) make sure you have the jutsu capacity to equip it
3) realize it's an item

It's straightforward but not as obvious if people don't look for it.

Sanctuary

Are all of the weapons entirely random in stats, or are there also unique (or legendary) items that will always be something to try to get to drop? It looks like set items are in, so I'm assuming they aren't entirely random stat wise, unless they are except for the bonuses.

cheesekao

Well technically you still have to-

1) equip it at the shrine (only way)
2) make sure you have the jutsu capacity to equip it
3) realize it's an item
It's pretty self explanatory though if you took the time to look through the menus but yeah, maybe I oversimplified it a bit.

cheesekao

How is co-op handled in this? Can I play the entire game through with someone else, or is it just ring a bell and complete a boss like in souls?
You can summon someone from a shrine as long as you have ochoko cups. The summoning is passive so you can run around while waiting for someone to be summoned.

Are all of the weapons entirely random in stats, or are there also unique (or legendary) items that will always be something to try to get to drop? It looks like set items are in, so I'm assuming they aren't entirely random stat wise, unless they are except for the bonuses.

Random weapons have random bonuses, most would not have any synergy (that's where Reforging comes in). But certain unique drops like Muneshige set have some guarantee bonuses like the water damage.

It's pretty self explanatory though if you took the time to look through the menus but yeah, maybe I oversimplified it a bit.

I agree but when you compare to how easy it is to just equip a weapon and start swinging, you have like three extra steps to use magic. So I can related to people not realizing

Curufinwe

Its very similar to souls. The main way to get beefed up is farming items, crafting stronger ones and then turning them into another weapon entirely if you prefer the look of something else.

Can you grind to increase your levels/stats if you get stuck on a tough boss?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can you grind to increase your levels/stats if you get stuck on a tough boss?

You can, but in doing so you may also find better loot that substantially increases your attack/defense/whatever. I'm sure there's a limit to the level of gear you can find in a particular mission, but the second time I played the Last Chance Trial I happened to find significantly better stuff than the first time and it made the boss a lot easier.

cheesekao

The player being summoned has to have completed the stage though (or did they change that?)
I didn't get to try the Last Chance demo but from the 2nd beta, you could create a lobby through the Torii Gate from the world map and set a password so that your friend can join in and you start a mission together. It SHOULD work like that unless I'm mis-remembering something.

Jimrpg

Oh man, Jim if you're reading this I'm hyped. The two games I'm getting Day 1 for the next sixth months are Yakuza 0 and Nioh. Which you gave a 9.5 and a 10. I'm so set!

I might also get Zelda Wild Breath and pretty sure that's going to be good as well.

Opencritic also going up and up. 87 now. It was 84. What do you guys think? The reviewers that had their review up and early didn't really enjoy it as much and had their review done while people who posted their reviews later are giving it better scores.

Top Bottom