• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

It will be fun to see which PS4 February exclusive ends up with the higher Meta score: Nioh or Horizon.

What an embarrassment of riches for PS4 lately.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
LOL It still perform bad on COMG and Amazon JP#10, WTF
This game seems would sell much more in Western&Asia than Japan
Why Japanese refuse to buy this game? Any expert of Japanese culture please explain that?Is it because the protagonist is white?

That's as stupid as assuming that western people are buying the game because the protagonist is white, as i've heard from some Japanese circles.
There's a fair amount of hype for Nioh for people actually interested in the game, and more people interested now because of the metascore and comments made by western reviewers(as this thread and the meta has been posted in various places)
But you cant help if games are not on one's radar, for a lot of people they dismissed it as a shameless Souls clone, and a segment of those folk are now coming back with curiosity. But a lot of other people simply never looked into the game to see if it was something they would be interested in
Sorry, my bad.

Curufinwe

You can, but in doing so you may also find better loot that substantially increases your attack/defense/whatever. I'm sure there's a limit to the level of gear you can find in a particular mission, but the second time I played the Last Chance Trial I happened to find significantly better stuff than the first time and it made the boss a lot easier.

Cool, thanks.

Jimrpg

It will be fun to see which PS4 February exclusive ends up with the higher Meta score: Nioh or Horizon.

What an embarrassment of riches for PS4 lately.

Nioh for sure.

Nioh is going to end up a little higher maybe 88-89. That's going to be real hard to beat.

Jimrpg

Why Japanese refuse to buy this game? Any expert of Japanese culture please explain that?Is it because the protagonist is white?

They did a survey after the alpha or the beta and western audience enjoyed the difficulty more than the Japanese audience.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That's as stupid as assuming that western people are buying the game because the protagonist is white, as i've heard from some Japanese circles.

There's a fair amount of hype for Nioh for people actually interested in the game, and more people interested now because of the metascore and comments made by western reviewers(as this thread and the meta has been posted in various places)

But you cant help if games are not on one's radar, for a lot of people they dismissed it as a shameless Souls clone, and a segment of those folk are now coming back with curiosity. But a lot of other people simply never looked into the game to see if it was something they would be interested in

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude I saw this gif goin around of a dude pulling a cat out of his jacket and it was badass.

Nioh for sure.

Nioh is going to end up a little higher maybe 88-89. That's going to be real hard to beat.

I'm not so sure. Horizon has previewed exceptionally well. I think it will be extremely close. If I had to guess:

88 for Horizon, 87 for Nioh.

Pretty damn impressive for Sony.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yep his reviews are great, aside from his hyperbolic YouTube video titles, he is very often on point.

I can tell you The Last Guardian is not a 65/100 game.

The pendulum just swung in our favour this time.

Zaventem

Are all of the weapons entirely random in stats, or are there also unique (or legendary) items that will always be something to try to get to drop? It looks like set items are in, so I'm assuming they aren't entirely random stat wise, unless they are except for the bonuses.

I've gotten purple weapons with the exact same roll minus the variables for the non locked in stats(which you can change at a blacksmith at anytime.

Even though the majority on here has a different opinion, I think his 65/100 is justified. After beating the Last Guardian 2 days ago I can see where the low score is coming from. For this reason and for his great Nioh review though, I just went ahead and pre-ordered the game.

Jimrpg

I think horizon will end up with 91. Calling it.

I'm not so sure. Horizon has previewed exceptionally well. I think it will be extremely close. If I had to guess:

88 for Horizon, 87 for Nioh.

Pretty damn impressive for Sony.

I'm guessing 82 for Horizon.

I think The Last Guardian is more of a divisive game than either Y0 and Nioh. I can see reviewers fighting with the camera or mechanics. At the same time, there will be people who think it's a GOTY contender despite some problems.

Jimrpg

This year off to a really solid start huh ?

So far there hasn't been any major stinkers at all....

If it was a few years ago developers probably would have been forced to release last year in the fall. The extra few months has allowed them to really polish the games. Perhaps publishers are seeing the benefits of taking the time to make great games and not push them out the door.

Donthizz#

feels like Sony is putting lot more money into marketing this game than they with Gravity Rush.

they must be pretty confident that this is going to sell well.

I'm guessing 82 for Horizon.

I think The Last Guardian is more of a divisive game than either Y0 and Nioh. I can see reviewers fighting with the camera or mechanics. At the same time, there will be people who think it's a GOTY contender despite some problems.

Anything can happen for sure, but I'd be shocked if Horizon got as low as 82. No way IMO. The previews are too glowing, mock reviews too great, and footage too spectacular. It's not getting below 85.

Jimrpg

Anything can happen for sure, but I'd be shocked if Horizon got as low as 82. No way IMO. The previews are too glowing, mock reviews too great, and footage too spectacular. It's not getting below 85.

Well I was going to write 80-85 but figured I'd be more precise :)

Kanann

Sorry, my bad.

It's still a niche type game from the start.

Remember Demonss's Ssouls?

You guys might not be around during the first Alpha demo but feedback was that the difficulty was rather badly received by "Asia".

It has improved in the beta but the result was shown in percentage, not number.

Top Bottom