• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Man the Japanese gaming devs are certainly back! My next few games have all been produced by Japanese devs and all look like they'll be great!

RE7
Nioh
Zelda
Persona 5

Definitely nice to see!

AHA-Lambda

Curious what weapons did you use? Because certain weapons are less ideal for the Souls play style approach.

Axe/Hammer and maybe spears are the best for the Souls style wait for opening, be patient, strike and run approach. Other weapons require more adjustment in how to approach combat.

As stated multiple times in many reviews the standard difficulty is EASIER than souls games and less obtuse thanks to the gear system in this game, the entry difficulty in levels might be harder by over time that isn't the case. Haven't seen much on twilight mode.

Well FWIW, from my experience I barely made any progress in the alpha, and with the LTC I made it to the Ogress but didn't defeat her. I was mostly using the spear throughout the LTC and a sword in the alpha.

I wouldn't entirely say my experience was unobtuse, certain gear stats made little sense to me (like the effect and distinction of toughness and defense multiplier), and I had no idea how to summon spirits.

I've played all including Bloodborne except DS3, but I've only finished DS1. Not because of the difficulty though, just haven't got the time. Anyway, I managed to finished the Last Chance demo just fine. It took me a bit longer than the veterans, but it wasn't THAT hard. The key is that sometimes we need to remember that Nioh is not really a Souls game.

I wouldn't be surprised if prior Dark Souls experience might actually be detrimental since this game seems to have a different gameplay flow.

Yeh, even the last chance beta made that clear. It's a lot easier to get into than Souls I would say, the battle system makes it more skill oriented though, which people could find difficult in its own way. I guess the latter shows that Ninja Gaiden DNA so to speak and I personally feel the TYPE of difficulty is more along NG lines than it is Soulsborne.

May well be, fwiw, I was always terrible at NG.

The frustrating part about that Polygon preview and all those reviews with the "only for the hardcore" disclaimer is that they're scaring people away, just like the "too hard" mystic around Souls games.

They're really not, it's more about patience and perseverance than skill. Hell, those kills landed after an hour of excruciating failure are among the best parts of these games.

As someone who finished NGB and couldn't even finish the last Nioh demo before it expired, I have to disagree. Nioh is exceptionally hardcore, not necessarily because of tactics but because of the combat systems.

Of course you can apparently cheese through Nioh by upgrading your gear or getting someone to help you in co-op mode, so by that metric I suppose the non-hardcore could make it through the game, but at that point I have to wonder why someone would play it since the story is supposedly very light.

sphinx

the piano man
I feel like this metacritic score is very very very impressive.

It will probably end up above Horizon when all is said and done.

Zelda might have a chance at the 91-93 range if everything goes well, but will otherwise end up being very near Nioh's 87

Raven117

Man the Japanese gaming devs are certainly back! My next few games have all been produced by Japanese devs and all look like they'll be great!

RE7
Nioh
Zelda
Persona 5

Definitely nice to see!

Right?! Thank goodness.

IMO they lost their way a little bit last generation...Now, they are back with a vengencace and we will all have better games because of it!

While Western Developers are still years ahead in open world design (we will see if that is true with the new Zelda), the Japanese truly are miles ahead in the gameplay experience.

It's amazing to think that the co-director crew of this game (Hayashi and Yasuda) last worked on Ninja Gaiden 3. This is one of the biggest turnarounds that I can think of.

Loxley

RE7
Nioh
Zelda
Persona 5

Definitely nice to see!

Japan has really come back in a big way over the last six months. There's also The Last Guardian, FF15, Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0.

Fucking hell, 10/10 from Jim fucking Sterling?!

Also guys,

"Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki" , is clearly superior, or even "Nioh |OT| Thanks Kodama"

Hahaha. A thousand yeses to the first one

Gawd damn, Sterling's review was unexpected. The guy went from disliking the beta to absolutely loving the finished product. I really enjoyed the alpha and already have my copy preordered. Really happy to see that this game is getting the recognition and review scores it deserves.

I've been reading the Jim Sterling's review.

I don't usually place much emphasis on his reviews because he and I tend to have different opinions in games *coughhedontlikewhatilikecough*

But man reading that review, those are some very high praise.

Whether you want to be a heavily armored, axe-wielding brute or a nimble ninja dropping poisonous clouds, Team Ninja has you covered with weapons, tricks, and tactics designed to cater to an impressive number of playstyles. It really is the complete package.

The staggering amount of effort Nioh puts in to winning its audience's attention has paid off in spades.

Nioh is an arresting game, one that consistently encourages and spurs its players on even when it's beating the tar out of them. It showers its challengers with increasingly powerful weaponry but is never shy about pummeling them via some hulking, terrifying demon from Japanese folklore's ghastliest recesses.

The back of the box should just say "Even Jim Sterling likes it!"

Game is definitely more "difficult" than Souls...at first. It's just got a deeper, faster combat system going on that takes a bit to get used to. On the plus side, when you pull off a proper set of combos and ki-pulses it's incredibly rewarding.

So it's pretty much like playing a souls game for the first time? Or is it more difficult in general? I mean, I got used to the souls gameplay (I've played every souls game).

Xliskin

A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.
I want to like this game, but my experience from both the alpha and LTC were fairly miserable; I find the game simply too difficult, and I'm a Souls veteran =/

Dunno to me this game is NOT a souls like I would put it with Ninja Gaiden-Bayonneta-DMC tier

TripOpt55

I never tried the demos or ever really got into the Souls games, but I loved the first two Ninja Gaiden games. You think I might enjoy this? I don't really play RPGs so not sure if it will be really out of my wheelhouse. I love challenging combat, but I guess I'm more of an action game player. I think I'll probably just rent it to start, but I'm a little worried I might be overwhelmed without much experience in the genre I guess.

xuchu

As someone who finished NGB and couldn't even finish the last Nioh demo before it expired, I have to disagree. Nioh is exceptionally hardcore, not necessarily because of tactics but because of the combat systems.

Of course you can apparently cheese through Nioh by upgrading your gear or getting someone to help you in co-op mode, so by that metric I suppose the non-hardcore could make it through the game, but at that point I have to wonder why someone would play it since the story is supposedly very light.

Honestly, it really isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. It just has a bit of learning curve just like dark souls has a bit of a learning curve.

Izuna

Banned
Hell, even the reviewer from Destructoid is in that Polygon article's comments saying that if you finished Ninja Gaiden on hard, it's not that hard.

i can't believe we're still getting our panites up in a twist over difficulty

where's that polygon gif

you know the one

ironcreed

Banned
So it's pretty much like playing a souls game for the first time?

It reminds me of the first time I played Demon's Souls and how wowed I was by the whole thing. They have evolved the formula in their own Team Ninja way enough to make it entirely fresh. It actually makes me realize how ready I am for FROM to take the next step beyond Dark Souls. It's time.

kingbean

The last beta took me from interested to day one.

Just ordered it from Amazon for like 48 bucks with prime.

Backlog is continuing to grow, no way I'll finish FF15 or Yakuza 0 before this drops. Being a grown up with responsibility can sometimes really suck lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
...you don't become unable to move if you empty your ki bar, wtf ign. That only happens if you eat a hit while stamina-depleted, ffs.

number 1 and they already fucked up.
I think I know the reason for this. In the alpha, when depleeting all stam, you ended up exhausted not being able to move. IGN must've Youtube'd "difference between dark souls and nioh" and found a similar video - but one from the alpha, and went with it.

xuchu

So it's pretty much like playing a souls game for the first time? Or is it more difficult in general? I mean, I got used to the souls gameplay (I've played every souls game).

Yes, treat it as your first souls game. I've also played all the souls games countless times but that can also introduce bad habits such as thinking that you can dodge through everything. I-frames are there but not nearly as much in souls and certainly not bloodborne. Just come with an open mind and engage with the newer combat mechanics introduced in Nioh and you'll soon dance around your opponents. One is not any more difficult than the other, they're just different.

Xliskin

Hahaha. A thousand yeses to the first one

Gawd damn, Sterling's review was unexpected. The guy went from disliking the beta to absolutely loving the finished product. I really enjoyed the alpha and already have my copy preordered. Really happy to see that this game is getting the recognition and review scores it deserves.

did he really disliked the beta ?!! what did he find in the final game and not in the beta ?!

Xliskin

I never tried the demos or ever really got into the Souls games, but I loved the first two Ninja Gaiden games. You think I might enjoy this? I don't really play RPGs so not sure if it will be really out of my wheelhouse. I love challenging combat, but I guess I'm more of an action game player. I think I'll probably just rent it to start, but I'm a little worried I might be overwhelmed without much experience in the genre I guess.

i think you love this game it has RPG elements to it the combat is challenging , if you mastered the combat you will feel like a badass samurai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_b68B4t68c

or you feel like a dude never touched sword d:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xeV8ummpCM

It reminds me of the first time I played Demon's Souls and how wowed I was by the whole thing. They have evolved the formula in their own Team Ninja way enough to make it entirely fresh. It actually makes me realize how ready I am for FROM to take the next step beyond Dark Souls. It's time.

Yes, treat it as your first souls game. I've also played all the souls games countless times but that can also introduce bad habits such as thinking that you can dodge through everything. I-frames are there but not nearly as much in souls and certainly not bloodborne. Just come with an open mind and engage with the newer combat mechanics introduced in Nioh and you'll soon dance around your opponents. One is not any more difficult than the other, they're just different.

Sounds pretty good, thanks :)

Ogawa-san

Any word on language options? I would like to know if the Japanese version includes A English sub/dub.
I'm almost positive there's only one VO language option for all regions considering characters speak english, engrish and japanese - and somehow understand each other just fine.

Top Bottom