• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

I cannot play other video games right now because I'm awaiting Nioh's release so anxiously. Hope I didn't make a mistake preordering it on PSN. Swapping discs is an unnecessary inconvenience in my opinion but if you people end up getting it 3 days before...

Finaj

I haven't been keeping up with this game very much. I understand it's an action RPG, but what other game would be the best comparison to it?

BigEmil

i can't believe we're still getting our panites up in a twist over difficulty

where's that polygon gif

you know the one

I got you fam.

giphy.gif

2378887-1059010195-ibz5N.gif

Polygon+plays+doom_8f89df_5939464.gif

rtcn63

Enjoyed the last beta but I wasn't expecting these review scores. Jim's review is making me a bit more hype.

Let the honeymoon period pass. I enjoyed that beta too, but I'm still on the fence. Long-term we''ll so how it fairs, yet I do want it to succeed- I love the Dark Souls formula, anything that uses it as a base is worth giving a chance.

The best year for PS4 so far easily

RE7
Yakuza
GR2
Nioh

Pretty nice PS2 like time frame. And like the PS2, it's Japanese again. Cool, preferring this over the Uncharted's and Watch Dogs myself.

And this year is not even 5 weeks old! And there's still Persona, Nier, Tekken and more on the Horizon!

Alastor3

Do you guys know if we can buy the pre-order items later on the store?

I plan to wait to get a ps4 pro before buying the game unless it's a one time exclusive.

Xliskin

Not a souls like? You must be kidding or didnt play the demo.

when I played as Souls game I hated it turns out I did not use even half of the mechanics of the game , playing as Souls game is terrible idea IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojwEb3ABISg&t=0s

I wouldn't say it's entirely like those. It's an arpg through and through but Nioh is doing its own thing, it's own beautiful thing.

True but I was talking about the combat complexity

He approached the game too much like Souls and struggled. I guess he readjusted since then.
I was kinda hoping for that.

Did anybody else notice, that most of the stages look super foggy? Just watching the comparison between DS3 and Nioh in IGN's 7 reasons video makes this even more apparent.

rtcn63

I was kinda hoping for that.

Did anybody else notice, that most of the stages look super foggy? Just watching the comparison between DS3 and Nioh in IGN's 7 reasons video makes this even more apparent.

The game is shooting for 60fps on the base PS4 hardware I think, so such things can't be helped.

I played the beta almost exactly like a Souls game (I haven't touched a shield in ages), to the point where I pumped the same (more or less) stats and had a similar time. Not sure how far it'll get you in the actual game once difficulty starts ramping up, but the feel of the combat itself is not entirely different.

juventino

Banned
A 10 from Jim??

Shit now I'm conflicted.
I want to like this game, but my experience from both the alpha and LTC were fairly miserable; I find the game simply too difficult, and I'm a Souls veteran =/

Hey man, even Souls veterans were noobs once, but the veterans became veterans by sticking with it. I remember when Demon's Souls came out and I couldn't beat it for the life of me, gave up on it and only after Dark Souls came out and I beat that, could i go back and beat Demon's.

Goldboy

I was going to hold off on this until it got a price drop, but these review scores are getting me way too hyped. Might just have to pick this up day one.

Kurumi

Yeah. There's no way I'm going to be able to finish Nioh in time before Horizon: ZD comes. I'm glad we're getting so many good games already this year but jesus my wallet is hurting.

I still haven't even started on GR2 and Yakuza 0 yet lol.

Nice reviews. But I'm up to my neck in games right now.
Just finished RE7, just started Gravity Rush 2, then Yakuza 0 is next.
By the time I'm done with those it will be Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda and Persona 5.

I might be able to fit Nioh in between Zelda and Persona 5 though.

I think they're still working their way through the game.

Yeah, that's what I got too. In all fairness, I don't think they should be mocked for struggling with the difficulty of a game, especially one that is allegedly very hard. I don't think being highly skilled should be a requirement to testing games and having a valid opinion on them. If you read the review and realize that the difficulty was a major negative contributor for Polygon there's no harm in knowing it's hard. If you are aware of your skill-level and never got into hard games because of the difficulty, then Polygon will address that group of people and that's fine. If you realize your own skill probably exceeds the reviewer's by a bit and that you are unlikely to run into the same trouble with the game, then the review might just not be relevant to you which is fine as well. Find reviewers that match your personal experience and preferences.

I should mention that I think big Souls fans like Jim giving this his seal of approval has a lot of weight to it. It's one thing if it's a Fromsoft Souls game but this is from another developer, and Souls fans can be quite criticial of other games inspired by Souls. If I'm not wrong Jim himself didn't think too highly of Salt & Santuary? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So yeah taking that into account this is quite impressive

I might have to pick this up. Wasn't sure after the last demo. But I think the tediousness of having to level my character from scratch three times in three separate demos took a toll on me.

There isn't a way to import a character save from any of the demos, is there?

Yeah, that's what I got too. In all fairness, I don't think they should be mocked for struggling with the difficulty of a game, especially one that is allegedly very hard. I don't think being highly skilled should be a requirement to testing games and having a valid opinion on them. If you read the review and realize that the difficulty was a major negative contributor for Polygon there's no harm in knowing it's hard. If you are aware of your skill-level and never got into hard games because of the difficulty, then Polygon will address that group of people and that's fine. If you realize your own skill probably exceeds the reviewer's by a bit and that you are unlikely to run into the same trouble with the game, then the review might just not be relevant to you which is fine as well. Find reviewers that match your personal experience and preferences.

No, they definitely should not be mocked for struggling through the game. But I do think a review warrants completion. So if they are unable to complete it, they shouldn't review it and just plainly state so, maybe in a replacement review article.

I think they'll manage to finish it though.

The game is shooting for 60fps on the base PS4 hardware I think, so such things can't be helped.

C'mon, you know that's not true. Even fellow Sega title Yakuza 0 hits 60fps on the base PS4 and doesn't need to resort to fog. Nioh's engine is just not up to the task.

No, they definitely should not be mocked for struggling through the game. But I do think a review warrants completion. So if they are unable to complete it, they shouldn't review it and just plainly state so, maybe in a replacement review article.

I think they'll manage to finish it though.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think it's good for some reviewers to represent the average player and not Souls experts, but they should hold off until they've experienced at least the main content.
edit: I just read the Polygon blurb and I think they did a good job of being up-front about their progress and the fact that it's not a full review. They're just giving impressions so far.

I might have to pick this up. Wasn't sure after the last demo. But I think the tediousness of having to level my character from scratch three times in three separate demos took a toll on me.

There isn't a way to import a character save from any of the demos, is there?

No, fresh start

Eolz

C'mon, you know that's not true. Even fellow Sega title Yakuza 0 hits 60fps on the base PS4 and doesn't need to resort to fog. Nioh's engine is just not up to the task.

Yakuza 0 is far, far away from pushing as much the hardware as Nioh. The former is a PS3 game, you should watch the digital foundry video for the latter.

rtcn63

I don't know anything about the engine. But if we're talking similar games with respect to content, Dark Souls 3 struggles to even maintain 30fps in the larger, more complex areas IIRC.

Arklite

Yakuza 0 suffers from constant framedrops, some screen tearing, frequent pop in, and LOD rendering issues. Team Ninja's work here has nothing to hide from Yakuza 0 and I wish more games had as many resolution/framerate options as Nioh.

Yakuza 0 is far, far away from pushing as much the hardware as Nioh. The former is a PS3 game, you should watch the digital foundry video for the latter.

I can't speak to how many polys each pushes, though the scenes in Y0 seem more rich with detail than Nioh, and doesn't need to resort to Turok levels of fog. Maybe it comes down to art direction, and maybe Nioh's designers chose poorly in regards to technical detail vs. visual detail. They both hit 60fps, with different tradeoffs, but Nioh shows its limitations more clearly. edit: Nioh's characters definitely look better, and that seems to be where the visual focus is.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Amazon UK #1
Amazon US #3 (#1#2 PlayStation Store Gift Card)
Amazing!It would grab #1 on UK chart!
The 2nd mainstream relevant Japanese game in 2017!

Resonance

So I have a quick question about the preorder bonuses. Since I preordered from Amazon, will the code be included with the physical copy?

How is "leveling-up" handled? Is it experience point based? Sometimes I feel the only way I'm able to play the souls games is because I'm able to over level some bosses and areas.

Top Bottom