• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Santar

Did they remove some weather effects from the Alpha?
Didn't the Alpha have rain and lightning during the burning village part? In the full game there is neither, looks a little plain now to be honest. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since that Alpha.

Drewfonse

Quoting myself for a new page

I've asked this question numerous times, but no one responds: how are you guys getting the game early from BB? Their website still says 2/13 as the delivery date. Store pick up is the 7th.

I don't get it...

FrankWza

I've asked this question numerous times, but no one responds: how are you guys getting the game early from BB? Their website still says 2/7 as the delivery date. I don't get it...

Preordered. They shipped yesterday. Ground ups. Its being delivered monday

Drewfonse

Preordered. They shipped yesterday. Ground ups. Its being delivered monday

When you preordered, when did the website estimate that they'd have it to you by? I bought it digitally a few hours ago, but might double dipping and sell the physical copy just to play it a day early.

Did you pay extra for "release date" delivery? I'm just wondering how to increase my chances of a Monday delivery, thanks.

FrankWza

When you preordered, when did the website estimate that they'd have it to you by? I bought it digitally a few hours ago, but might double dipping and sell the physical copy just to play it a day early.

Did you pay extra for "release date" delivery? I'm just wondering how to increase my chances of a Monday delivery, thanks.

No. Free release day shipping. At this point you better hurry so they can ship today. Probably no guarantee.

Wagram

I've asked this question numerous times, but no one responds: how are you guys getting the game early from BB? Their website still says 2/7 as the delivery date. I don't get it...

I don't really know to be honest. They do free release date shipping and for about a year it was always dead on release date. These past few months (since FFXV) they've been shipping earlier and almost always arrives 1-3 days early.

Drewfonse

2No. Free release day shipping. At this point you better hurry so they can ship today. Probably no guarantee.

I don't really know to be honest. They do free release date shipping and for about a year it was always dead on release date. These past few months (since FFXV) they've been shipping earlier and almost always arrives 1-3 days early.

Ok. Thanks. Between the tax and the shipping, it comes to $77. I'll just wait til Tuesday.

Curufinwe

I got RE7 on the Monday.

Just fyi, it looks like this might be another Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 situation.

Talked to some people in retail and it looks like they're just getting enough to fill pre orders.

V3rt1go

Didn't the Alpha have rain and lightning during the burning village part? In the full game there is neither, looks a little plain now to be honest. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since that Alpha.

There is a level the plays under heavy rain, think it's the third one, in Dazaifu or something, and I think I saw some lightning in the village when you get to the beach.

Unknown?

Just fyi, it looks like this might be another Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 situation.

Talked to some people in retail and it looks like they're just getting enough to fill pre orders.
That's freaking stupid! What the heck is wrong with Sony? Barely pushing copies at all!

The reviews have me interested so I decided to pre-order. My friend was able to get his copy delivered today because of Best Buy, so jealous.

You're thinking of the second area of the Alpha, the temple with the cyclops and ninjas.

Ratrat

game is getting fairly good reviews but this part from the Eurogamer review got me a bit down on the game...I was expecting more Dark Souls type of lore, gameworld, NPC's etc...Nioh almost sounds too straight forward with no branching paths or huge areas to get lost in...

""While the combat system and bosses offer a worthy successor to Souls and Gaiden fans, there are a few ways that Nioh falls short of the modern masterpiece it strives to be...The most troublesome problem with Nioh is its repetition...For all it does right, its padding is obvious and often obnoxious...Furthermore, the maps don't contain a lot of secrets...You can occasionally find some sweet loot and upgrades, but there are never any NPCs to talk to, puzzles to solve, or other mysterious objects to interact with...Nioh is set in a mystical, magical world, yet when it comes to prodding these labyrinthine innards, what you see is what you get"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-02-nioh-review_4
Well, I just saw a guy find a Nurikabe in livestream. There clearly are secrets/hidden stuff. Maybe not to the extent of needing to hug every wall and tap x.

mollipen

Some reviewers are totally taking their time, huh.

Reviewers rushing through games is part of the reason that the quality of reviews has dropped. It isn't even about the amount of content in a game, but when you're rushing through experiences that are meant to be explored, tested, tried and retried, where you're encouraged to attempt things beyond the scope of the "storyline" and so on, you're doing yourself, the game, and your review a disservice by rushing through it.

Well, I just saw a guy find a Nurikabe in livestream. There clearly are secrets/hidden stuff. Maybe not to the extent of needing to hug every wall and tap x.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but there's at least one particular mission where the experience of the boss fight changes depending on if you put in the time and effort to explore the stage or not. If you're just trying to get on to the next thing, you could totally miss it.

Ratrat

I'm not going to spoil anything, but there's at least one particular mission where the experience of the boss fight changes depending on if you put in the time and effort to explore the stage or not. If you're just trying to get on to the next thing, you could totally miss it.
Good to hear. And more stuff may be discovered later. Im hopeful.

N° 2048

Waiting for this game like:

waiting.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I went for digital so I can start playing as soon as it unlocks 00:00, maybe one day will grab physical for the collection from sale.
Yeah, I started working again so playing something late on Tuesday night is probably not a good idea... xD However, I'll save myself the taxes if I go digital, I guess.

Baalzebup

i mean, there's very little reason to soul match before hitting whatever level cap one desires, and then you'll have to soul match... 12 pieces of gear, tops, so...

the real drain lies with reforging >__>
What? Why would one not use soul matching along the way? It is a good way of keeping swanky pieces of gear up to the task, so you can just keep doing it along the way. It's not like you're expending some actually finite resources to do so.

Just preordered on Amazon. Maaaaaaaaan

I've spent way to much on video games this year already and the Nintendo Switch ain't even out for another month.

hyp

preordered this tonight as a reward for beating Let It Die. can't wait. there was no way i was gonna play both games, the controls would've fucked me up trying to switch between the two games.

preordered this tonight as a reward for beating Let It Die. can't wait. there was no way i was gonna play both games, the controls would've fucked me up trying to switch between the two games.

Not as bad as it'll be for me trying to play both Nioh and For Honor at the same time lol

Baalzebup

Not as bad as it'll be for me trying to play both Nioh and For Honor at the same time lol
The open beta being on the next weekend is all kinds of a bummer. I'll likely be in the full grips of Nioh fever for a week or so, minimum. I'm curious about testing For Honor, but likely not curious enough to veer off from Nioh.

Top Bottom