• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

V3rt1go

Thank god i'm not the only one obsessed with helping the little Kodamas make a party at the Shrines.

I'm going back to past levels just to get the ones I left hiding from the evil yo-kai!

I'm in love with this game.

So, pretty close to biting on this, but... how much health grinding do you have to do when tackling the same boss over and over and over again? Saw a video (from the alpha I think) that said you have to go farming for health a lot, and that there is no storage for extras (ala Bloodborne).

Is that still the case? Or something that has been tweaked since?

Oh and Stamina is Ki is fucking perfection.

Kudo

Besides if those enemies who summon other players are dependent on the servers that's a real shitty thing to have in the game too, what happens when the servers are down? You can't play on that difficulty anymore?

There are some NPC Revenants too, characters from their earlier games, dev names etc.

No we don't have 100% confirmation, which is why I wrote "looks like you need ps+ to fight player ghosts".
I took the screenshot just about 30 mins ago while playing.
Besides if those enemies who summon other players are dependent on the servers that's a real shitty thing to have in the game too, what happens when the servers are down? You can't play on that difficulty anymore?

Interesting. Sorry if I came on a little too strong, there. I doubt those enemies are only based on having servers, but they would only summon the spirits of other players if there were other players around, otherwise they only spawn those red/blue spirits that add elements to your weapons. Plus, there should also be NPC ones. If you aren't seeing any at all...I dunno.

So, pretty close to biting on this, but... how much health grinding do you have to do when tackling the same boss over and over and over again? Saw a video (from the alpha I think) that said you have to go farming for health a lot, and that there is no storage for extras (ala Bloodborne).

There is a minimum number of elixir you can have, that is always replenished at shrines, and also it drops from enemies, and you can hold a certain amount. I don't remember anything about storage, though.

Kensuke

Any other reviewers here? Join the clan I'm at and let's get that victory. Furata. With some help we could overtake red.

There is storage for extras. If you die they get pooled out of your storage automatically if you need the refill.

V3rt1go

Most bosses I had to grind some levels, but some few I managed to beat them at the second/fourth try with no grinding.

You can carry 8 elixirs, if you get more, it will go to your storage and the adicional stock will be used to automatically replenished tour inventory when you restart at the shrine.

Baalzebup

There is a minimum number of elixir you can have, that is always replenished at shrines, and also it drops from enemies, and you can hold a certain amount. I don't remember anything about storage, though.
The current system is as follows: You will always replenish to a certain minimum number, which is dependent on how many Kodama you have found in the region. You can pick up extra ones up to a certain limit as drops from the enemies. Any extra ones that you pick up beyond your maximum carry limit are automatically sent to your storage. When you visit a shrine, or die, and you elixir count is under your auto-replenish value, you get that many AND then fill out the extra capacity up to your allotted maximum from your stores. If the elixir count is above your auto-replenish value, then you only get the extra refill from you storage.

Or in Soulsborne speak, it is a combination of the Estus and Blood Vial systems.

Santar

Interesting. Sorry if I came on a little too strong, there. I doubt those enemies are only based on having servers, but they would only summon the spirits of other players if there were other players around, otherwise they only spawn those red/blue spirits that add elements to your weapons. Plus, there should also be NPC ones. If you aren't seeing any at all...I dunno.

No worries. I'll play more in a bit so hopefully I'll find out more about this.
Would be nice if other players who've gotten further in the game could confirm if they've seen any player ghosts pop up.

Shit, I can actually get this game early today, but I still haven't beaten Yakuza, just barely started Tales, and I'll be losing out on the amazon prime discount...

V3rt1go

No worries. I'll play more in a bit so hopefully I'll find out more about this.
Would be nice if other players who've gotten further in the game could confirm if they've seen any player ghosts pop up.
When playing offline I found those bloody red ghosts with specific names made by Koei Tecmo.

When playing online, I started seeing the ghosts of other players even in the sub-missions.

The current system is as follows: You will always replenish to a certain minimum number, which is dependent on how many Kodama you have found in the region. You can pick up extra ones up to a certain limit as drops from the enemies. Any extra ones that you pick up beyond your maximum carry limit are automatically sent to your storage. When you visit a shrine, or die, and you elixir count is under your auto-replenish value, you get that many AND then fill out the extra capacity up to your allotted maximum from your stores. If the elixir count is above your auto-replenish value, then you only get the extra refill from you storage.

Or in Soulsborne speak, it is a combination of the Estus and Blood Vial systems.
This.

There is also a skill (Medicine Man) in the Ninjutsu tree to increase the maximum amount of elixirs you can have equipped.

Cool. I can work with this, thanks :)

Santar

When playing offline I found those bloody red ghosts with specific names made by Koei Tecmo.

When playing online, I started seeing the ghosts of other players even in the sub-missions.

Thanks for the info, guess maybe they'll start showing up a little later on?
Good to know there are some Tecmo Koei made ghosts for non ps+ players. Hopefully there are enough of those that the non ps+ experience doesn't suffer.

Baalzebup

Oh, another thing about elixirs, you can make an offering of junk equipment at the shrine to have a chance of receiving an elixir randomly.
Honestly, given how much money the soul matching and other blacksmith activity started to drain, I will not sacrifice a single item to the kodama. Nevah. Everything is to be either sold for cold, hard cash or dismantled for crafting and re-forging materials.

Nydus

Thanks for the info, guess maybe they'll start showing up a little later on?
Good to know there are some Tecmo Koei made ghosts for non ps+ players. Hopefully there are enough of those that the non ps+ experience doesn't suffer.

In the last chancd trial, the player ghost where only visible if you died atleast once in the level.

Honestly, given how much money the soul matching and other blacksmith activity started to drain, I will not sacrifice a single item to the kodama. Nevah. Everything is to be either sold for cold, hard cash or dismantled for crafting and re-forging materials.

i mean, there's very little reason to soul match before hitting whatever level cap one desires, and then you'll have to soul match... 12 pieces of gear, tops, so...

the real drain lies with reforging >__>

ch4fx_

Can you co-op submissions? I remember not being able to in the last demo, but I was hoping that would be fixed in the final game.

Sayad

Thank god i'm not the only one obsessed with helping the little Kodamas make a party at the Shrines.

I'm going back to past levels just to get the ones I left hiding from the evil yo-kai!
You're depriving them from freedom and bringing them back to slave work in the shrine for personal benefit, but what ever make you sleep at night, I guess.

Mikey Jr.

5k2n7Vo.jpg

Sigh, looks like you need ps+ to fight player ghosts, which is what I was afraid of.
Real crappy of them to hide that behind ps+ since you can actually get XP and equipment from fighting those ghosts :(

This game out for PS2 as well?

bigmac996

Just picked this game up! Can confirm it's broken the street date here in Canada. Gonna give it a whirl after I beat Yakuza 0 tonight.

Eusis

Man, REALLY wanna grab this but hard to justify right now. Though I got a $10 credit popped into PSN via Sony Rewards just the same.

Eria

To everyone who has read the reviews:

Any female character skins? whats the currency for character skins? how long does it take to earn them?

TitusTroy

game is getting fairly good reviews but this part from the Eurogamer review got me a bit down on the game...I was expecting more Dark Souls type of lore, gameworld, NPC's etc...Nioh almost sounds too straight forward with no branching paths or huge areas to get lost in...

""While the combat system and bosses offer a worthy successor to Souls and Gaiden fans, there are a few ways that Nioh falls short of the modern masterpiece it strives to be...The most troublesome problem with Nioh is its repetition...For all it does right, its padding is obvious and often obnoxious...Furthermore, the maps don't contain a lot of secrets...You can occasionally find some sweet loot and upgrades, but there are never any NPCs to talk to, puzzles to solve, or other mysterious objects to interact with...Nioh is set in a mystical, magical world, yet when it comes to prodding these labyrinthine innards, what you see is what you get"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-02-nioh-review_4

Milijango

To everyone who has read the reviews:

Any female character skins? whats the currency for character skins? how long does it take to earn them?

The Game Informer reviewer said in a Reddit AMA that he had not found any after 40 hours (completed main story and change) but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Hastati

That falls in line with my own expectations after the beta. It's seems more straightforward in its design philosophy than any souls game. Less about discovery and exploration, more about sharpening your own blade and improving your martial abilities. That also falls more in line with Diablo.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Neir-GAF Praises the Thighs.

WTF?

Yo fuck all these garbage OT titles. I hope the OT creators come to their senses or a mod steps in to do the right thing.

Seriously so bad.

Drewfonse

Bestbuy shipped my copy! Looks like i'll receive it a day early. I've gotten all my games 1-3 days early lately.

I've asked this question numerous times, but no one responds: how are you guys getting the game early from BB? Their website still says 2/7 as the delivery date. I don't get it...

Top Bottom