• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

FrankWza

Im distracting myself with boost mode on my pro...the wait until monday has been made a bit better. But happy to see these great impressions and that people are getting a weekend to play.

xinek

I had difficulty with the beta due to the control scheme. Does the final game include a control scheme that's more Souls-like, or can you remap buttons? I tried the system level button remapping for the beta, but it didn't work very well -- remapping one meant you had to remap another, and another, and then the in-game button prompts were all wrong.

Oh my... I've got the sudden urge to just play tons of coop as a mage. Buffing and debuffing is just way too much fun. Plus you get a healing spell. I'm going to carry everyone to victory.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I had difficulty with the beta due to the control scheme. Does the final game include a control scheme that's more Souls-like, or can you remap buttons? I tried the system level button remapping for the beta, but it didn't work very well -- remapping one meant you had to remap another, and another, and then the in-game button prompts were all wrong.

I think there is an option, but playing it like a souls game i feel is unwise.

The buttons are layed out for quick access to light and heavy attack like ninja gaiden.

Mapping it like souls, i'd get confused between R1 and L1 configurations, since you don't generally use both hands

JerkShep

I have a very specific question. I usually buy games with my US account (because they are cheaper and they usually release sooner) and play them on my PS+ EU account (I'm from Italy).

I should have all the Alpha/Beta rewards on boh my EU and US account. Is it possible to download them in the full game even if the game version doesn't match with the account? It was not possible in the Alpha/Beta, because the game wouldn't access the PSN Store of a different region to unlock the rewards.

I know this is a very specific issue.

Zaventem

I played with the nioh standard layout until i found out they gave other options in the LCT The only minor thing imo is they made a souls-like layout with no option for dodge and interact switched.

I use Type E btw. The difference between B and E is status and gesture switched. Also weapon screen placement gets switched to the left side with these layouts.

souls_controls.png

I don't understand, why there are so many control types, but I have to fucking dodge with X and interact with circle. This is not how I learned it.

Zaventem

^ well the different control types are just minor button variations for "main" control schemes but i'm not sure why most devs don't give full control to change button mapping for a game.

Xliskin

I played with the nioh standard layout until i found out they gave other options in the LCT The only minor thing imo is they made a souls-like layout with no option for dodge and interact switched.

I use Type E btw. The difference between B and E is status and gesture switched. Also weapon screen placement gets switched to the left side with these layouts.

I really find the lock-on with L3 is bad idea especially if you don't play it as Souls game I find it limit the quickness of the combat

Ogawa-san

You attack so much faster in Nioh than any of the Souls games, I can't imagine playing with attacks bound to R1/R2.

Swapping status and gesture menu buttons makes sense though, not even once I pressed the right button to open either one :p

I'll join you with full ninjutsu build. It'll be glorious!
We'll sit inside a smoke bomb while you proc poison and fire and I lower the defense, attack power, and movement speed of the boss. Then, we'll toss shuriken, kunai, bombs, and magic bolts at them until they perish, all while watching our health bars go up continuously due to a recovery spell.

Just wondering, I only had time to play the first open beta.

Was the weapon degradation ever adjusted? I don't need a full on it never degrades. But I remember it being pretty terrible in the first open beta.

Ogawa-san

Was the weapon degradation ever adjusted? I don't need a full on it never degrades. But I remember it being pretty terrible in the first open beta.
Degradation mechanics were removed entirely after alpha.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

In the last beta, none of my weapons broke. There was never a need to switch weapons or use a whetstone. I'm not sure if visiting a shrine mitigates any loss or durability the weapons has accrued.

You attack so much faster in Nioh than any of the Souls games, I can't imagine playing with attacks bound to R1/R2.

Trying to imagine using it right now....feels gross.

I defiantly couldnt chain flux like this
https://youtu.be/hZVurtR-9hc?t=16s
L1+ [ x,r1 ,r2,circle] loop, feels awfull.

What do I do about the second boss's
purple stun ability
?

If its hino, just dash through, dash again and have yourself a cheeky punish
https://youtu.be/mkuZ6FYK3n0?t=14s.

Baalzebup

What's the skill that gives you Ki when dodging ? And what weapon?

I know the katana has it. Don't know if it's the only one tho(probably not)
The Ki-Pulse from dodge is an universal skill available for all weapons. It can be found in the skill trees for all 5 melee weapons, but buying it in one unlocks it for all for that particular stance. You still need to buy it separately for all 3 stances.

Can't remember the skills name tho.

Eolz

I don't understand, why there are so many control types, but I have to fucking dodge with X and interact with circle. This is not how I learned it.

Don't go in a game expecting to play like other games because that's how you "learned it", especially when the gameplay is different.

N° 2048

Honestly I did the default Type A and it worked perfectly.

Went back to Dark Souls 3 after the Last Chance Trial ended and had no problem. I guess I adjust fast.

Yep!

Was able to pick it up yesterday in NYC. Surprised to hear it was sold out afterwards but that's a good sign.

First let me say I was never a fan of Dark Souls. I gave it a try and it wasn't for me. I could see why people enjoy it but it just didn't click for me. I briefly played Bloodborne and it definitely gave me a better impression but even then I stopped playing.

Here I am, maybe 3 hours of playtime? JUST beat the first boss. Dude kicked my ass plenty of times, lol. Patience was something I was lacking and it's something that's needed for a game like this.

I must say, I am really enjoying this game. Between the setting, the loot and how fluid things feel, I'm in love. Very satisfying shooting someone in the head with an arrow!

I downloaded the demo and I played about 15 minutes. It was enough for me to stop and wait for the full game. It didn't help that GAF hyped it up as well, lol.

I really prefer the mission structure instead of an open world. The missions are big enough that I can have fun searching around while staying small enough to not get overwhelmed.

I'm impressed and I'm looking forward to diving in some more later tonight.

Selkies!

I'm picking up a PS4 later today for this game, couldn't be more excited!

Anyone in NYC able to pick this up today? My usual spots were sold out by the time I left work last night.

So thanks to some great tips on here, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the game last night and...I don't know why you would anyway but...if you had any reservations even if you liked the demos, go get it asap.

This game just fucking delivers and delivers nonstop on all fronts. There is SO much to tinker with, so much content, so many layers, it's almost insane. I just feel like the game constantly rewards me in some, even if small, useful fashion.

Not only are there Twilight missions now, there also seem to be sub-mission versions (multiple possibly further downt the line) of each main stage which retools the look and layout a bit and adds a different objective and therefore enemy types.

There are quite a few things that weren't in the demos as well. The whole Reputation/Title sub-menu which are basically achievement unlocks that lead to points that can be invested in slight buffs. The list for these is enormous.

I'm really blown away even after the demos. They poured everything they had into this game and you can feel it at every turn, it's really endearing. It's also PS2 levels Japanese-as-fuck and it's great.

And a tip for anyone getting into this, work on your stamina-depleting technique and invest in the Block + Triangle Ki burst move, sorry forgot the name.

I'm picking up a PS4 later today for this game, couldn't be more excited!

Anyone in NYC able to pick this up today? My usual spots were sold out by the time I left work last night.

Picked it up in NYC last night at like 10PM and I literally snatched 1 out of 2 remaining copies. All other places were sold out and not getting til Monday which I assume is teh same here.

According to the clerk, they sold more than expected.

Fistwell

Looked for the game in a cple stores here in Munich, didn't see anything. :(

Happy for them they broke 85, 87 metacritic aint half bad, especially for a game that could have been polarizing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just got it, what graphics mode is best on Pro?
I personally prefer Action mode on the Pro because of the buttery smooth 60fps which is vital in a game like this. If you want the shiny graphics only at a capped 30fps, Movie mode might be for you. Skip variable movie mode altogether.

You can't go wrong with Action Mode on the Pro. Highly recommend it for everyone's initial run of the game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If you are not playing in action mode you are playing it just plain wrong
I remember even on the non-optimized first beta on OG PS4, I enabled action mode with that low resolution cause the game felt so much better to play and that was at 40-60fps. Now it's a locked buttery smooth 60fps, definite no brainer. :)

Top Bottom