• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

OH fun. I actually preorded this game which I never do. I've been watching this since it shaped up into a ninja gaiden/dark souls like game which interests me a F-ing ton.

I really hope it can live up to my self generated hype. I skipped the demo to go in fresh and I've only watched a small handful of videos last year.

"Even Jim Sterling likes it."

Btw, for any NYC posters in here...which stores consistently are prone to breaking street dates??

I think I got Dark Souls III from J&L a few days earlier if I remember correctly...maybe two.

OmegaDL50

I pre-ordered this in response to this thread.

I was interested in this game for some time since but didn't bother with the demos as I mainly wanted a fresh experience. It's good to see the game went beyond expectations.

Santar

5k2n7Vo.jpg
Sigh, looks like you need ps+ to fight player ghosts, which is what I was afraid of.
Real crappy of them to hide that behind ps+ since you can actually get XP and equipment from fighting those ghosts :(

RedFury

Why not simply NiohGAF, where stamina is Ki

Both good suggestions= check
References Nioh's gaf community= check
sexual innuendo
= check

Well, I'm becoming more interested in this game now.

I would really like it if they had the option to turn off blood, like in Dark Souls. In fact, blood doesn't bother me that much, it's the beheading that moves my stomach. It might be the only reason I ultimately decide not to pick it up. Oh well.

walouija

Neo Member
I didn't have much hype for this after playing the first demo, but all this love is making want to buy this junt.

I get paid on Tuesday so I guess it's meant to be.

Servbot24

Banned
Was there some kind of stamina related incident? Just curious why that particular mechanic is getting call-outs :p

edit: Oh, stamina is literally Ki. Nevermind me, I'm dumb.

tariniel

Best Buy says it's in the "Prepaing" phase, one up from "Processing", and it says I'll get it Monday. I live in Orange County, California and I've heard of a few places that I could get it early, but I'll just wait since the price I got it for with Best Buy was really good ($37.42 during the Visa Checkout deal).

I think I'm going to wait until it drops in price a bit, that way I won't resent getting destroyed by it. Hopefully there's still a healthy amount of co-op players by then for me to piggy-back off of.

FrankWza

Best Buy says it's in the "Prepaing" phase, one up from "Processing", and it says I'll get it Monday. I live in Orange County, California and I've heard of a few places that I could get it early, but I'll just wait since the price I got it for with Best Buy was really good ($37.42 during the Visa Checkout deal).

Same situation on east coast. Ill put that early tax towards the dlc ;)

Deku Tree

Are there level restrictions for co-op like Souls? Or can anyone queuing up for co-op who has beaten the level help someone else?

GHG

Gold Member
Sigh, looks like you need ps+ to fight player ghosts, which is what I was afraid of.
Real crappy of them to hide that behind ps+ since you can actually get XP and equipment from fighting those ghosts :(

So you want an online feature of a game without paying for online? It doesn't really work like that.

Ah, that's too bad. Seems like something they could've included for non-PSPlus subscribers since it's not something that requires a lot of server space (at least I don't think it does). But then again as I understand it the game is totally doable with the base equipment you receive through normal story progression, so it's not like plus subscribers will have a massively superior time with the game.

I only see a screenshot. Do we have proof of this, or is the algorithm that spawns player ghosts tied to, you know, servers being up and people actually dying? Especially given that the Twilight missions' difficulty is based in having summoner enemies summoning those corpses of other players. That's a pretty significant piece to cleave out of a single player game.

Santar

So you want an online feature of a game without paying for online? It doesn't really work like that.

Usually PS+ is reserved for actual online multiplayer interactions in games, you know, where you actually interact with other players. The player ghosts in this are entirely ai controlled. You never interact with another player.

Santar

I only see a screenshot. Do we have proof of this, or is the algorithm that spawns player ghosts tied to, you know, servers being up and people actually dying?

No we don't have 100% confirmation, which is why I wrote "looks like you need ps+ to fight player ghosts".
I took the screenshot just about 30 mins ago while playing.
Besides if those enemies who summon other players are dependent on the servers that's a real shitty thing to have in the game too, what happens when the servers are down? You can't play on that difficulty anymore?

Kudo

Usually PS+ is reserved for actual online multiplayer interactions in games, you know, where you actually interact with other players. The player ghosts in this are entirely ai controlled. You never interact with another player.

Works the same way with Souls-games, you cannot see messages or use any online component of the games.
Not saying that it doesn't suck, but that's just how it is. My PS+ expires in month too.

Top Bottom