• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Do we know if we'll be able to play with friends like in the Souls games ow will we only be able to with randoms?
You can definitely play with friends and make sure only they can join your lobby by password protecting as well. The coop in this game is fucking amazing and somewhat deep since there's multiple coop modes.

You can definitely play with friends and make sure only they can join your lobby by password protecting as well. The coop in this game is fucking amazing and somewhat deep since there's multiple coop modes.
Multiple coop modes? First time I hear about it, what's that about lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You can do co op in the Yokai realm which are missions that are stronger than normal, or you can do normal by summoning people into your game directly.

Also there is supposed to be PVP at some point.

how is the framerate in movie mode on a normal ps4? Is it locked at 30 or does it dip a lot?

Great. In general, its far better than any of the souls games on console performance wise and is far more responsive too due to how the combat is designed

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You have the regular summons which you can use a cup to summon players in to help you. You can also be summoned to another host's playthrough via Matchmaking. The session ends in these if the host dies.

Then you have "Yokai Realm with a Companion" where you and your buddy can take on missions with more powerful enemies/Yokai BUT you both share a survival bar and each time one of your dies, it depletes. You can also revive each other in this mode & refill your main survival bar at shires aka checkpoints.

There is also PVP and Arena mode coop planned and will release in the near future. This game ain't messing around.

You can do multiplayer in the Yokai realm which are missions that are stronger than normal, or you can do normal by summoning people into your game directly.

Also there is supposed to be PVP at some point.

Great. In general, its far better than any of the souls games on console and is far more responsive.
Oh ok that's cool, thanks.
You have the regular summons which you can use a cup to summon players in to help you. You can also be summoned to another host's playthrough via Matchmaking. The session ends in these if the host dies.

Then you have "Yokai Realm with a Companion" where you and your buddy can take on missions with more powerful enemies/Yokai BUT you both share a survival bar and each time one of your dies, it depletes. You can also revive each other in this mode & refill your main survival bar at shires aka checkpoints.

There is also PVP and Arena mode coop planned and will release in the near future. This game ain't messing around.
You can revive each other? That is awesome, can't wait to try it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oh ok that's cool, thanks.

You can revive each other? That is awesome, can't wait to try it.
Only in the Yokai Realm with Companion. Trick is to stay together, always! Because the closer you are, the sooner you can revive each other which pauses the depletion of the survival bar. There is strategy involved in this coop mode for sure if you know what you're doing.

What retailer(s) have this already? I want ittttt
Waiting on digital deluxe version to unlock on PSN, this wait sucks. I should be playing it now over the weekend.

Drewfonse

So if I randomly help people in their games, I get to keep the loot and XP for my SP game? How does loot work in Co op? Do both players get an identical item?

I only ask because I sometimes couch co op Diablo 3 with my greedy ass friend. He snatches up everything, immediately.

Waiting on digital deluxe version to unlock on PSN, this wait sucks. I should be playing it now over the weekend.

That's why it feels like it makes more sense for games to come out on Friday like Gravity Rush 2 did. I got the Digital Deluxe as well. Gonna pre-load tonight while playing Berseria.

So if I randomly help people in their games, I get to keep the loot and XP for my SP game? How does loot work in Co op? Do both players get an identical item?

I only ask because I sometimes couch co op Diablo 3 with my greedy ass friend. He snatches up everything, immediately.

As i recall playing last try demo you get both same thing....which is great :)

Only in the Yokai Realm with Companion. Trick is to stay together, always! Because the closer you are, the sooner you can revive each other which pauses the depletion of the survival bar. There is strategy involved in this coop mode for sure if you know what you're doing.

Aaahhh stop hyping me like that !! lol sounds too good, a bit more than 2 days and it's mine!

xuchu

We'll sit inside a smoke bomb while you proc poison and fire and I lower the defense, attack power, and movement speed of the boss. Then, we'll toss shuriken, kunai, bombs, and magic bolts at them until they perish, all while watching our health bars go up continuously due to a recovery spell.

Smoke bombs were so OP. You can literally do anything while them. The different builds and diablo loot, for min maxing that gear, will really add to the replayability. Not to mention that NG+ has entirely new enemy layouts, something even souls could learn to do more.

I find progressing through the levels pretty easy. Certainly no harder than any Souls game, but man, every single boss so far was quite a heavy difficulty spike. 8:20h in so far.

What does it add?

You get a new
difficulty mode
that has surprised me with how much new stuff there is to find, and do. Loot is crazy cool looking, enemies get new attacks. I've found
secret bosses that I might've missed my first time.

This game has so many bosses, and they're much better than the public test ones!

Trace

Banned
I've lived in so many cities and I've still yet to find one of these elusive "mom and pop game stores" :(

Hate knowing people from NYC cuz they get every game early. Usually it's not this hard to wait, but Nioh.

Yea I live in a city with 2.5 million people and I've never seen a game store that is willing to break street date.

It's so easy to see why Team Ninja didn't give a shit about releasing multiple pre-release versions, not employing a harsh review embargo and shipping the game early. The game's so good and they knew it.

Phloxy

Took the steam archive and put it up on youtube. First hour and I playthrough and answer a lot of questions from fellow gaffers about the game and how I feel about the various aspects.
https://youtu.be/ueohNC3Sv3o
Playing on PS4pro in case anybody is wondering.

Eolz

It's so easy to see why Team Ninja didn't give a shit about releasing multiple pre-release versions, not employing a harsh review embargo and shipping the game early. The game's so good and they knew it.

As a dev, it must be feeling really good for them after all the shit they got for non-DOA games after Itagaki left. Congrats to them.

This thread changed me from potentially getting this after a price drop to preordering the digital deluxe edition. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Hastati

You get a new
difficulty mode
that has surprised me with how much new stuff there is to find, and do. Loot is crazy cool looking, enemies get new attacks. I've found
secret bosses that I might've missed my first time.

This game has so many bosses, and they're much better than the public test ones!

Wait, so is this completely separate from Twilight mode and the Yokai co-op mode?

And it has its own tiers of loot? So it is like Nioh's version of Torment in that it adds a completely new bracket for items, enemies etc.? That's crazy if true, I was expecting Twilight to function as NG+.

I have no idea how to deal with more than one enemy though. I always trigger both, run away and fight one of them. Two enemies at the same time is suicide.

I have no idea how to deal with more than one enemy though. I always trigger both, run away and fight one of them. Two enemies at the same time is suicide.

Headshot one of them with an arrow to the head before the fight starts. I think arrows inflict more damage when the enemy doesn't see it coming.

Which weapon are you fighting with? I'm really liking the spear's moveset as it keeps enemies at bay and is pretty good at fighting multiple enemies at once.

In case you are in the 1st real area of the game,
the fisher village
, you probably ran into 4 enemies on top of a hill. You are supposed to use your flame blade (or w/e it's called) in that situation.

Wait, so is this completely separate from Twilight mode and the Yokai co-op mode?

And it has its own tiers of loot? So it is like Nioh's version of Torment in that it adds a completely new bracket for items, enemies etc.? That's crazy if true, I was expecting Twilight to function as NG+.

Yes. The mode is called
"Way of the strong"

I think final PVP builds will need to clear through it for the unique loot.

If anyone has beaten it, how long?

Took me 46 hours. I beat games pretty fast, so that length is really refreshing.

MrTexor

Headshot one of them with an arrow to the head before the fight starts. I think arrows inflict more damage when the enemy doesn't see it coming.

Which weapon are you fighting with? I'm really liking the spear's moveset as it keeps enemies at bay and is pretty good at fighting multiple enemies at once.

In case you are in the 1st real area of the game,
the fisher village
, you probably ran into 4 enemies on top of a hill. You are supposed to use your flame blade (or w/e it's called) in that situation.

If you are using bow and arrow, make sure the one you are trying to headshot is not wearing a helmet.

Top Bottom