• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Headshot one of them with an arrow to the head before the fight starts. I think arrows inflict more damage when the enemy doesn't see it coming.

Which weapon are you fighting with? I'm really liking the spear's moveset as it keeps enemies at bay and is pretty good at fighting multiple enemies at once.

In case you are in the 1st real area of the game,
the fisher village
, you probably ran into 4 enemies on top of a hill. You are supposed to use your flame blade (or w/e it's called) in that situation.

I use the katana and I love the move set^^. I'm already in the second area btw. Yeah, I should try a spear ;)
The bow is amazing in this game. So satisfying.

Enemy spoiler: Those fucking
bats
Holy crap.

Szadek

I might have more money left than I thought I would, so I will probably preorder nioh.
Would even think about doing it if the reviews weren't already out.

Late Flag

I was so looking forward to this game that I fired up another Bloodborne run to scratch that itch. I'm at Rom, and now I'm thinking that Nioh may have to wait another day or two for me to finish this up lol.

Audioboxer

Hype!!! Even although I wasn't that big on the beta.

By the way, has GAFs number 1 Souls fanboy Yoshi been around? I expect to see him around for Nioh!

Voidguts

pre-ordered. going in completely blind, so so fucking stoked. had to pick this or Nier:A and from the impressions in this thread it looks like this will deliver the experience I'm looking for. can't wait!

Can anyone give a definitive answer on environment and enemy variety? How often are the same environments recycled from one mission to the next?

As far as enemies go, I can think of 21 unique types (as in: enemies that have their own models and animations, so all human bandits count as one type) from the demos so far:

Human Footsoldiers
Human Samurai
Ninjas
Skeleton Footsoldiers
Giant Skeleton Warriors
Lesser/One-horned Yoki
Yoki
Amarita Fiends (Yoki with the red crystals)
Umbrella Yokai
Fire Wheel Yokai
Giant Tongue Oni
Small Cyclops Yokai
Giant Cyclops Oni
Fake Wall Oni
Mimic/Tanuki
Kappa
Tengu
Water/Poop Blobs
Flying Fire/Ice Heads
Guitar Summoners
Giant Spiders

Is there much variety outside of these? Souls games, by comparison, usually have around 35-45 unique enemies.

pre-ordered. going in completely blind, so so fucking stoked. had to pick this or Nier:A and from the impressions in this thread it looks like this will deliver the experience I'm looking for. can't wait!

Nier was definitely on my radar, and while the demo was cool, it didn't really wow me the way that Nioh has.

A Silent Protagonist, is Nioh a masterpiece in your opinion?

Not even close. I consider very few games "masterpieces" btw (SOTC, FFVI, SH2, RE4)

Can anyone give a definitive answer on environment and enemy variety? How often are the same environments recycled from one mission to the next?
Human enemies like bandits are used pretty often, and don't really change much. All of the main missions typically have atleast 2-4 unique Yokai, unique to it's area. The Axe, Dual wielding Oni from the tests are sprinkled throughout the game.

The music is pretty awesome. So far this game feels like Demon's Souls in Japan with a better combat system.

edit: How do you change
costumes and hair styles?

WolfTime

Banned
sigh

my friend thinks this game is another attempt of Whitewashing Japan/Asian culture by adding a White protagonist i.e similar to the vein of that Matt Damon movie, Last Samurai etc.

not knowing that it's based on William Adams, i expect that this will be a "criticism" in the upcoming weeks by a few, i wouldn't be surprised if Polygon marked the game down for it, knowing them

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nioh is GOTY
Indeed
I only played the demos yet but I know it in my heart

Not even close. I consider very few games "masterpieces" btw (SOTC, FFVI, SH2, RE4)
Any Souls games on that list at least?

sigh

my friend thinks this game is another attempt of Whitewashing Japan/Asian culture by adding a White protagonist i.e similar to the vein of that Matt Damon movie, Last Samurai etc.

not knowing that it's based on William Adams, i expect that this will be a "criticism" in the upcoming weeks by a few, i wouldn't be surprised if Polygon marked the game down for it, knowing them
lol, that's so dumb. Japanese dev whitewashing their own history! /s

TreIII

Uggggh. This wait is painful. I haven't been this hyped for a Koei release in quite some time.

And it doesn't help that NOBODY in Maryland seems poised to be a place to get a hookup.

Do I suck at this game? My playtime is 4 hours and I'm only
at the burning village portion of the first mission

It feels like this is Dark Souls cranked to 11

Do I suck at this game? My playtime is 4 hours and I'm only
at the burning village portion of the first mission

It feels like this is Dark Souls cranked to 11

It's definitely more difficult than any of the Souls games. And it makes sense to spend time grinding. I mean, it took me a while in the Alpha demo to level up enough where I had the courage to venture that far into the level. Just take things at your own pace. There's no rush.

Xliskin

The music is pretty awesome. So far this game feels like Demon's Souls in Japan with a better combat system.

edit: How do you change
costumes and hair styles?

for real!!?? , this one of my concerns after playing and watching videos for the tests , I remember they keep reusing OSTs over and over again especially the bosses

for real!!?? , this one of my concerns after playing and watching videos for the tests , I remember they keep reusing OSTs over and over again especially the bosses

I don't know. I'm in the second big area and the music has been great so far. You have to keep in mind that there is background music in the level, not only during boss fights. So it's not like in the souls games.

Top Bottom