• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Tcab96

Have a question regarding magic. I was a little disappointed magic seems to mostly be buffs in Last Chance, unless I missed something.

Any word if there's more to it?

Have a question regarding magic. I was a little disappointed magic seems to mostly be buffs in Last Chance, unless I missed something.

Any word if there's more to it?

Magic is mostly buff and debuff and various utilities. I could go on and on about different elemental affliction.

If you want something more directly offensive, Ninjutsu is the way to go- Kunai, shuriken, bombs, traps, bombs, and more bombs...

Baalzebup

sigh

my friend thinks this game is another attempt of Whitewashing Japan/Asian culture by adding a White protagonist i.e similar to the vein of that Matt Damon movie, Last Samurai etc.

not knowing that it's based on William Adams, i expect that this will be a "criticism" in the upcoming weeks by a few, i wouldn't be surprised if Polygon marked the game down for it, knowing them
I more or less just answered a comment of that flavor in another thread, though in that case it seems like the post was intended as a joke.
A caucasian man from the British Isles going by the name of William Adams was a Samurai in service of Togukawa Ieyasu at the time period the game is depicting. Whatever additions and adaptations this game includes, Miyura Anjin was a real thing. Please don't confuse this with something like the Great Wall.
And this:
lol, that's so dumb. Japanese dev whitewashing their own history! /s

Roufianos

How hard is it? Easier than Dark Souls?

Are the bosses more difficult? I'm fine with the normal enemies in the Souls games, it's the sudden difficulty spikes with the bosses that bust my balls.

Wink

I get that people are hyped and that the gameplay and difficulty are reported to be quite a treat, but I don't get the Demon's Souls references because everyone's just talking about combat and difficulty. What about other aspects of that comparison like world coherence, storytelling, level design, atmosphere... feeling of wonder on discovering how it all works?
Are we just throwing souls around as measurement of how punishing combat is and that there are similar online elements or is there more substance to those comparisons with Demon's Souls?

Follow this "How to Unlock Barber, Hair & Beard Customization" guide, no spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1QNkS7crXk

Thanks, but I don't have this dialogue option :/
I don't know why.

Are the bosses more difficult? I'm fine with the normal enemies in the Souls games, it's the sudden difficulty spikes with the bosses that bust my balls.

It's not easier than Dark Souls.
Even if you've played the souls games. Imagine playing Demon's Souls for the first time. It all feels familiar (almost exactly like the souls games) but you have to start at the bottom. And that's because the combat system is completely different. It's like a souls game with a new (better) combat system. So you know the basics but every encounter is a challenge. It's not like "I've seen this in Souls and Bloodborne so I can beat Nioh".

edit: And yes, the bosses are hard. The first real boss kicked my ass.

It's as hard as the first time you played a Souls game.

I get that people are hyped and that the gameplay and difficulty are reported to be quite a treat, but I don't get the Demon's Souls references because everyone's just talking about combat and difficulty. What about other aspects of that comparison like world coherence, storytelling, level design, atmosphere... feeling of wonder on discovering how it all works?
Are we just throwing souls around as measurement of how punishing combat is and that there are similar online elements or is there more substance to those comparisons with Demon's Souls?

It borrows some gameplay elements, therefore the easiest way to describe it is using a game everyone is familiar with it.

Don't read too much into it. It's not a 'clone', it doesn't aim to become the new Dark Souls.

is getting into coop with a friend easy? souls 3 was fairly easy but had those disconnection and difficulties at release. please tell me it's easy and reliable to coop the game with a buddy?

Wink

Don't read too much into it. It's not a 'clone', it doesn't aim to become the new Dark Souls.

I played the Alpha and was convinced to give it a shot when it comes out anyway, so I know it's not a clone. Just wondering how much can actually be likened to the level of the Souls games beyond combat and difficulty or how other aspects of the game compare in general to games of that ilk, because Souls is not as big as it is for being punishing, but for being very, very well thought through and coherent on how all of its elements come together.
What I want to know is if Nioh, within its own parts and elements, achieves something similar or if I should just look forward to be having a challenging experience in a pretty cool setting.

When should I tackle those twilight missions? I'm level 36 and they're for like level 90 and 145. Haven't touched them once yet in 10h.

If you tackle them earlier you can probably still just hit revenants near the spawn point until you're decked in very high level gear, at which point level doesn't really matter.

Sure worked in the beta and LCT.

Eolz

I played the Alpha and was convinced to give it a shot when it comes out anyway, so I know it's not a clone. Just wondering how much can actually be likened to the level of the Souls games beyond combat and difficulty or how other aspects of the game compare in general to games of that ilk, because Souls is not as big as it is for being punishing, but for being very, very well thought through and coherent on how all of its elements come together.
What I want to know is if Nioh, within its own parts and elements, achieves something similar or if I should just look forward to be having a challenging experience in a pretty cool setting.

I thought it was really cohesive and coherent personally.

The short answer is that systems unique to Nioh, makes sense in Nioh.

Take the loot system - Okay so you have diablo/destiny type system, how do you support it? You have a blacksmith that:

- Allows you to increase the levels of the gear you like so you don't have to replace it if you don't want to.
- Allows you to chance the appearance of the gear to the ones you like.
- Allows you to reroll stat bonus to customize your gear
- Allows you to forge said gear with random bonuses

There's definitely a lot of synergy in the game, and a very clear vision of what the game wants to be.

Szadek

If you want a proper Souls clone you can always wait for Lords of the Fallen 2, which is apperently a thing that is happening for some reasons.

vilmer_

Best single player game since Bloodborne. NeoGAF is gonna implode on Wednesday and Friday once these people realize they're playing the next Demon's Souls.

Let's not get carried away here. Big words wouldn't even begin to describe this statement.

I await next week.

If you want a proper Souls clone you can always wait for Lords of the Fallen 2, which is apperently a thing that is happening for some reasons.

Or just replay a Souls game instead of settling for copycat shitware. If you enjoy good games there's no reason to play a Lords of the Fallen.

WolfTime

Banned
Let's not get carried away here. Big words wouldn't even begin to describe this statement.

I await next week.

image.php

God damn it why did this game have to be good, I can't afford all these games I'm interested in coming out at the same time. Fuck this new "We're actually gonna use the Jan to March release window" trend, this is bullshit.
Half joking, but also only on Chapter 4 of Yakuza 0

Btw it's amazing that you can see the stamina bar of your enemies. No cheap deaths because enemies have unlimited stamina (like in the souls games).

He's saying since, not better than. Bloodborne probably won't get touched in a while due to the combination of things it does right.

Imo it's already better than Bloodborne. Nioh seems to have way more replay value.

Wink

But he's right.

There's no way. The implication of that statement is that Nioh is as refined as nothing else since Bloodborne while being the next Demon's Souls, which in turn implies far too many things to not be regarded as hyperbole.
Not doubting Nioh might be great or even amazing, but taking those words seriously would require Nioh to invent a new subgenre of games and at the same time perfecting that.
Those are indeed words too big.

Drewfonse

There's no way. The implication of that statement is that Nioh is as refined as nothing else since Bloodborne while being the next Demon's Souls, which in turn implies far too many things to not be regarded as hyperbole.
Not doubting Nioh might be great or even amazing, but taking those words seriously would require Nioh to invent a new subgenre of games and at the same time perfecting that.

Chill, hahaha

IvorB

Well, we will all find out soon enough.

Btw it's amazing that you can see the stamina bar of your enemies. No cheap deaths because enemies have unlimited stamina (like in the souls games).

Imo it's already better than Bloodborne. Nioh seems to have way more replay value.

While I think it's fair for you to hold that opinion, especially as you are playing the full game, I just don't see it being the case for many who hold BB in high esteem. Some of the reasons that BB is so loved is due to its intricately crafted world, level design and overall atmosphere. And having played the betas for Nioh, I just don't think it'll match, let alone exceed BB, in those regards.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

In terms of moment to moment combat, Nioh does have Souls beat easily, and even Bloodborne, having played around 16 hours of the Last Chance trial myself.

But that should not be surprising considering who team ninja are.

They have been perfecting in depth combat mechanics for almost 15 years now. From were never a master of that field, even when they were making direct action combat games like Otogi.

sigh

my friend thinks this game is another attempt of Whitewashing Japan/Asian culture by adding a White protagonist i.e similar to the vein of that Matt Damon movie, Last Samurai etc.

not knowing that it's based on William Adams, i expect that this will be a "criticism" in the upcoming weeks by a few, i wouldn't be surprised if Polygon marked the game down for it, knowing them

Well, if it's whitewashing then the Japanese devs who made this game decided to do it.

I will say though that the historical William Adams – as far as I can tell – could not fight and didn't participate in any battles. He had the title of samurai, but that seemed to be largely ceremonial. Mostly he was doing merchant stuff.

Is this more Ninja Gaiden Black or Demon's Souls?

Soulsborne. There's very little Gaiden DNA in this game; you can't fight in that style unless you are extremely skilled, and even then it's not really what I would call NG combat.

Is this more Ninja Gaiden Black or Demon's Souls?

Admittedly, it's closer to Souls overall even at high level play, but there's clear DNA of Ninja Gaiden in Nioh, particularly in the Alpha where it was possible to actually air Juggle enemies at ledges (which was removed later on).

As far as a Core Combat System, Nioh's is handily the strongest of all the Souls-Likes in my opinion, even against Bloodborne due to the incredible level of freedom that the movelist of each weapon type offers addition to weapon swapping on the Fly which is an easy trace back to the Character Action Roots of Team Ninja.

IvorB

Well, if it's whitewashing then the Japanese devs who made this game decided to do it.

I will say though that the historical William Adams – as far as I can tell – could not fight and didn't participate in any battles. He had the title of samurai, but that seemed to be largely ceremonial. Mostly he was doing merchant stuff.

No, this can't be true. If it is then how did he kill all the Yokai?

WolfTime

Banned

to be fair, most samurai didn't fight, it was mainly, like you said a ceremonial status

But Bloodborne is just a different souls game?! I don't think Bloodborne invented a new subgenre.
Nioh though....it has a fantastic combat system (way better then Souls or Bloodborne) while borrowing a lot from the Soulsborne games.
Of course it's not a new subgenre ....it's more like the new souls game I wanted since Dark Souls 1. Bloodborne doesn't feel all that different to me. It was just Souls without shields (imo). Nioh is like an enhanced Demon's Souls.

I'm still in the second area so keep that in mind. These are my impressions after 6 hours.

Ratrat

Sure. Next you'll be telling us youkai don't exist!

I agree, and I've beaten Nioh. Lots of hyperbole being thrown around by some of the early players here.

The story is god awful, in a funny way at times. The post game story is damn interesting, but I can't say anything about it due to embargo.

Wink

In terms of moment to moment combat, Nioh does have Souls beat easily, and even Bloodborne, having played around 16 hours of the Last Chance trial myself.

But that should not be surprising considering who team ninja are.

They have been perfecting in depth combat mechanics for almost 15 years now. From were never a master of that field, even when they were making direct action combat games like Otogi.

That is great to hear. I enjoyed the combat as well from what I played and am expecting a lot from the full game in that respect. I also expect very solid mechanics that relate to combat. Really just pointing out that there are far more implications and expectations related to the particular statement of greatest since and new that.

Alastor3

Also included is the Crimson Master Armor to wear in-game, based on the battle dress worn by legendary samurai Yukimura Sanada (available for the first two weeks after launch).

What is that two weeks after launch mean? Because im no were near finishing Yakuza but already pre-order Nioh. That would be wear to get an item that only have a limited time of use, right?

to be fair, most samurai didn't fight, it was mainly, like you said a ceremonial status

There was Frenchman Eugène Collache who did fight as a samurai, but only as a naval officer.

Not sure where the saltiness of the other responses is coming from; the game makes it seem like the real William Adams was at least skilled in swordfighting, but in reality probably didn't even know how to use one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nioh is its own game. While it borrows elements from other games, i think directly comparing them does a disservice to it as well as the game its being compared to.

It does tons of things differently as well

Top Bottom