• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Eolz

What is that two weeks after launch mean? Because im no were near finishing Yakuza but already pre-order Nioh. That would be wear to get an item that only have a limited time of use, right?

You can get this as long as you buy digitally either as preorder or in the two weeks following launch.
From what I've understood...

IvorB

I agree, and I've beaten Nioh. Lots of hyperbole being thrown around by some of the early players here.

The story is god awful, in a funny way at times. The post game story is damn interesting, but I can't say anything about it due to embargo.

So the story continues post-game like Dragon's Dogma?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, and I've beaten Nioh. Lots of hyperbole being thrown around by some of the early players here.

The story is god awful, in a funny way at times. The post game story is damn interesting, but I can't say anything about it due to embargo.

Oh post game has a story? Interesting....
What's your take on where you believe a Nioh 2 should go?
You think they can do a good story in the next game or is it bad enough that they should just treat it as an after thought and double down on the diablo esque customization elements and improve combat even further?

WolfTime

Banned
There was Frenchman Eugène Collache who did fight as a samurai, but only as a naval officer.

Not sure where the saltiness of the other responses is coming from; the game makes it seem like the real William Adams was at least skilled in swordfighting, but in reality probably didn't even know how to use one.

It doesn't matter if he didn't fight...Samurai also didn't fight Yokai at the time either

I just find it odd when people criticize this game as "whitewashing" because it features a Caucasian protagonist even though it was developed by a Japanese company

xviper

to the ones who finished the game

are the bosses mostly humanoid ?? like that trash, Dark souls 3: Knight bosses edition ?

or is there a huge variety of bosses like Demon's souls, Dark souls 1 and Bloodborne ?

Wink

But Bloodborne is just a different souls game?! I don't think Bloodborne invented a new subgenre.

No, no, Demon's Souls was inventing the subgenre of what we now call soulslike. I didn't mean Bloodborne, that was a nicely refined take with a few effective changes.
I understand where you're coming from though, I'm basically just arguing semantics.

Nioh is its own game. While it borrows elements from other games, i think directly comparing them does a disservice to it as well as the game its being compared to.

It does tons of things differently as well

It does but to be honest....this could easily be a From Software game except for the amazing combat and the lackluster story (so far).

Imo this is more souls than every other game except for the souls games, lol. And that's a compliment.

No, no, Demon's Souls was inventing the subgenre of what we now call soulslike. I didn't mean Bloodborne, that was a nicely refined take with a few effective changes.
I understand where you're coming from though, I'm basically just arguing semantics.

Ahh, alright. I can agree with you. So far I'd describe Nioh as a soulslike. It just has way better (and more satisfying) combat (imo) than any of the souls games. It has shortcuts, secrets and great level design. Lots of items and random loot.
I can't say anything about the story though.

WolfTime

Banned
I assume the story is "lackluster" to many because its highly historical and deals with Japanese history, which i assume many westerners might not catch on too?

assuming all of you are westeners

It doesn't matter if he didn't fight...Samurai also didn't fight Yokai at the time either

I just find it odd when people criticize this game as "whitewashing" because it features a Caucasian protagonist even though it was developed by a Japanese company

Of course it matters, since they bothered to attach this character to a historical person. It's one thing to make up fantastical shit, it's a videogame and steeped in Japanese mythos, but I'm not sure why they bothered to use his name when he was just a businessman. But I think the producer(?) was obsessed with this guy.

And I didn't say the game is whitewashing at all, not sure where you got that from.

I've explained to someone before who ask "There are thousands of Japanese samurai, why pick the one white guy?"

To which I've said, "You answered your own question- There are already thousands of Japanese Samurai, but nobody has made a game about the first western samurai."

White people would have the perspective of "Samurai games should be about Japanese" but to the Japanese they probably don't care as much because they have thousands of media about their own Samurai, but having a white protagonist in that setting it unique to them.

Resonance

are the bosses mostly humanoid ?? like that trash, Dark souls 3: Knight bosses edition ?

or is there a huge variety of bosses like Demon's souls, Dark souls 1 and Bloodborne ?

I thought ds3 already had a good variety of bosses, imo.

WolfTime

Banned
Of course it matters, since they bothered to attach this character to a historical person. It's one thing to make up fantastical shit, it's a videogame and steeped in Japanese mythos, but I'm not sure why they bothered to use his name when he was just a businessman. But I think the producer(?) was obsessed with this guy.

And I didn't say the game is whitewashing at all, not sure where you got that from.

It's been said before

the producer was obsessed with the history of William Adams

they wanted an Irish protagonist because of Ireland's mystical history

and they wanted a Foreigner's perpsective

Eolz

I've explained to someone before who ask "There are thousands of Japanese samurai, why pick the one white guy?"

To which I've said, "You answered your own question- There are already thousands of Japanese Samurai, but nobody has made a game about the first western samurai."

White people would have the perspective of "Samurai games should be about Japanese" but to the Japanese they probably don't care as much because they have thousands of media about their own Samurai, but having a white protagonist in that setting it unique to them.

This.
It's a pretty unique setting, I don't see why some people complain that it's not following the real story perfectly. It's a Team Ninja game where you fight Yokai and where (spoilers) happen. Of course it's not realistic.

Get'sMad

sigh...Amazon told me they were shipping it yesterday and now its just "shipping soon"

looks like the Monday dream is dead for me and I gotta wait until Tuesday. :(

Wink

This.
It's a pretty unique setting, I don't see why some people complain that it's not following the real story perfectly. It's a Team Ninja game where you fight Yokai and where (spoilers) happen. Of course it's not realistic.

To be fair though the Onimusha fan within me would have exploded if they had casted Takeshi Kaneshiro for the lead ;)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So the story is awful? why? Without any spoilers, is it the writing or the pacing or just plain stupid?

My guess is, like other Team Ninja(as well as omega force) works like Toukiden, its very 'anime' and goes crazy in a way that for certain westerners can be 'turn off your brain'-ish.

Of course that's just a guess.

They are working from a screen play of another person (Akira Kurosawa)

Eolz

So the story is awful? why? Without any spoilers, is it the writing or the pacing or just plain stupid?

I haven't played it, but I guess that the story is around the level of Ninja Gaiden. So if you don't mind that, it shouldn't be awful.
edit: as Inuhanyou said.

Sami+

I pretty much felt the same way as Ian on one of the EZA podcasts where he initially felt weird about it, was told that William was a real guy and a notable historical figure in Japanese culture, and basically just said "oh I guess that's fine then, never mind".

🤷

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Can't find anything on Reddit, but the game's been out and finished right? Are there any female character skins? I know that a few days ago there wasn't any, but at this point more must be known so....Lady skins?

WolfTime

Banned
I pretty much felt the same way as Ian on one of the EZA podcasts where he initially felt weird about it, was told that William was a real guy and a notable historical figure in Japanese culture, and basically just said "oh I guess that's fine then, never mind".

��

I think there is a difference between something like Nioh and something like The Great Wall (the matt damon movie)

although even in that Great Wall movie, its not like it was created by westerners, it was Chinese made and its not like Matt Damon is playing a chinese guy, the story is about European mercenaries that come to China in search of gunpowder

I felt like people thought he was literally playing a Chinese guy at first

Plenty of non humanoid boss fights. A huge variety, i'd say. There are about
+ bosses

I really like how Berserk -esque this game got with certain stuff. Lots of really awesome designs to see.

Rozart

I can't remember if the demo had a bestiary but it would have been really nice if they included one. The Japanese mythological creatures (e.g. the Kasa-Obake, Kappa, Nurikabe, Ōnyūdō etc. ) that enemies in this game are based on are really great.

WolfTime

Banned
Plenty of non humanoid boss fights. A huge variety, i'd say. There are about
+ bosses

I really like how Berserk -esque this game got with certain stuff. Lots of really awesome designs to see.

I know you said you couldn't tell much about the post story cause of the embargo

but is there any hints to a sequel or is it pretty self contained?

Baalzebup

I can't remember if the demo had a bestiary but it would have been really nice if they included one. The Japanese mythological creatures (e.g. the Kasa-Obake, Kappa, Nurikabe, Ōnyūdō etc. ) that enemies in this game are based on are really great.
I'm pretty sure several of the reviews in the OP mentioned that being a thing, including that it updates with further data as you rack up more kills of that particular kind of gribblies. None of the demos had such a feature though.

Let me ask this....do you think the souls games had a good story? Or Bloodborne? I mean, it's mysterious but...is it good? I don't play Dark Souls 1-3 (or Bloodborne) because I like the story. It#s the gameplay that matters....for me at least. And Nioh's gameplay is outstanding.

Inuhanyou

Let me ask this....do you think the souls games had a good story? Or Bloodborne? I mean, it's mysterious but...is it good? I don't play Dark Souls 1-3 (or Bloodborne) because I like the story. It#s the gameplay that matters....for me at least. And Nioh's gameplay is outstanding.

I'd say there was more to the 'lore' of the souls games that people discuss than an actual 'story', which essentially is nonexistent.

The world itself and discovering more about it is what keeps people talking because its intentionally cryptic and doesn't explain shit for the most part.

GonzoCR

I don't think it's that good, and the fact that people actually make money off of analyzing the lore baffles me to this day, but it's helped a lot by the way it's presented.

Wink

Old story vs lore argument. The story of those games are straightforward, not a highlight. But it's how the story fits into the game design and makes perfect sense as to what the player experiences mechanically and beyond that the setting of the world being conveyed through playing the game was indeed an integral part of the Souls experience. Even if you didn't follow it, you could feel it, this sense of history and importance to the environments and characters you encounter. That is a certain type of storytelling very specific to videogames and thus to me very special.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We can at least preload the digital version tonight correct?
The wait is getting to me lol. Great impressions from you guys that already have the game and playing. Mad jelly.

Karak

waiting on this and ACG

Looks like mine is a no go. I am swamped with other reviews and I just finished up Dead Rising 4 Composers Interview and one with Justin Bell about Pillars. I just don't think I have the time anymore. I scheduled a bunch out. But I am not a huge channel so it was always a gamble.

So the story continues post-game like Dragon's Dogma?

You'll see :)

Oh post game has a story? Interesting....
What's your take on where you believe a Nioh 2 should go?
You think they can do a good story in the next game or is it bad enough that they should just treat it as an after thought and double down on the diablo esque customization elements and improve combat even further?

I know you said you couldn't tell much about the post story cause of the embargo

but is there any hints to a sequel or is it pretty self contained?

Oh, boy. Nioh 2 content wise would be no easy task. They put so much in here in terms of bosses (
Big Higher Powers from Japanese mythos, historical figures from Feudal Japan)
, and raw content to the point were you'd think they thought this would be their last game.

My take. If this sells well, Nioh 2 is definitely in the cards.

FeArTriX

A lot of people will hate me for this but No I didn't enjoy any the stories of the soulsgames . I honestly don't understand the hype behind them they don't make any sense and they don't have a good conclusion . I only played the shit out of them for the gameplay

Wink

Could anyone who's seen his films expand a little bit on if any Kurosawa influence was felt in either visual design or the story itself given it's based on his Oni script?

Resonance

A lot of people will hate me for this but No I didn't enjoy any the stories of the soulsgames . I honestly don't understand the hype behind them they don't make any sense and they don't have a good conclusion . I only played the shit out of them for the gameplay

Probably because it's the lore aspect. For example, if you look at Bloodborne many aspects of its lore is very lovecraftian

Servbot24

Banned

"Good story" is too vague of a term. The way the story of Souls is told makes it a good prop to the gameplay - i.e. contributing to the sense of dread and intrigue simply by being vague, foreboding, and hinting at depth. It doesn't matter if it's actually deep or not - the hint of depth itself is the point of it. Is the story itself on its own good? Doesn't really matter; being a good story is irrelevant to the duty of the story in this case. It has a job that it accomplishes which is supporting the gameplay mood and that's all that really needs to be said about it.

That's the issue with our generation, we rush to be outraged without thinking it through and with no proper knowledge of cause since I bet my left nut that 99% of the people who did that in this case aren't asian.

Purest 78

Games like this I don't care about the Story it's all about Gameplay. Bloodborne is my favorite game this gen I can't really tell you what the story is.

Eusis

Does anyone think the Digital Deluxe weapons will be worth a crap, or likely just early game disposable nonsense as seems the norm for these kinds of bonuses?

Inuhanyou

That's the issue with our generation, we rush to be outraged without thinking it through and with no proper knowledge of cause since I bet my left nut that 99% of the people who did that in this case aren't asian.

Very true. Unfortunately the blow back from that in the form of actual racism/sexism and the supposed solution to being 'anti tolerance' is another big issue with today's society.

Seems like everyone is offended, either at something directly or the notion of someone else being offended.

Probably already answered but can anyone who has Nioh but doesn't have PS+ confirm if revenants/any online functionality are still available?

Yeah. You can fight the graves of other players AI even without PS+

Top Bottom