• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

I dont understand, are people really criticizing the protagonist? Not seeing anyone complAin

Btw, is this a sony exclusive because sony paid for it? Are they investing in this as an ip?

Servbot24

Banned
Very true. Unfortunately the blow back from that in the form of actual racism/sexism and the supposed solution to being 'anti tolerance' is another big issue with today's society.

Seems like everyone is offended, either at something directly or the notion of someone else being offended.

At least whitewashing in general is a legitimate concern. It's just in this specific case that criticism hasn't been thought through.

That said I've almost never heard anyone complain about that with Nioh so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I've heard more complaints about complaints than I have complaints.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Btw, is this a sony exclusive because sony paid for it? Are they investing in this as an ip?

Its been a Sony exclusive since 2004 when it was announced for PS3. And right on their website it says its exclusive to PS4 itself.

We don't know the details, but you can bet your ass if this game is successful, Sony will be funding more of these types

Eusis

I dont understand, are people really criticizing the protagonist? Not seeing anyone complAin

They at least took on publishing duties for Tecmo Koei, so at a minimum there's that much. It seems plausible they put some investment in though, and perhaps there's stories to that effect somewhere.

EDIT: Thought there's the post right above mine. Geez, this is like a bizarro Too Human or something.

I am 6 hours in and wow, kind of floored at how much there is to this game and how well done it is. And I barely played the demo (got turned off by the alpha in 10 minutes.)

Believe the hype, this one's a doozy.

Eolz

They took over publishing in the west (that's Sony you have to thank for the lack of collector edition here).
That said, I still doubt it's a full PS4 exclusive.

Could anyone who's seen his films expand a little bit on if any Kurosawa influence was felt in either visual design or the story itself given it's based on his Oni script?

The Nioh story no longer seems to be based directly on the Kurosawa script. I've only played the demo so I can't comment on if there are specific reference points in the design, but the staff seem to have been influenced by Seven Samurai and Yojimbo (I would say Ran also):

http://wccftech.com/niohs-game-dire...on-average-no-plans-for-pc-release-currently/
The storyline was to be based on one of Akira Kurosawa’s unfinished works. Is that still the case or did you make any changes and if so, why?

Yasuda: The story is an original piece based on William Adam’s history. The battle actions and artistic elements are indeed strongly influenced by masterpieces such as Akira Kurosawa’s “Yojimbo” and “Seven Samurai”.

Inuhanyou

They took over publishing in the west (that's Sony you have to thank for the lack of collector edition here).

It says full exclusive right on their website...

And i'm pretty sure they are publishing in not only NA and EU, but Asia as well. Temco is only publishing in Japan.

Eolz

It says full exclusive right on their website...

And i'm pretty sure they are publishing in not only NA and EU, but Asia as well. Temco is only publishing in Japan.

It's definitely a console exclusive, meant that as in a PC version can still be possible.
KT and Sony have always been as vague as they can be before porting something on PC.

Im really surprised at how sony is managing to get so many exclusives like this. I hope its successful because dark souls feels like its waning while bloodborne and nioh carry on the spirit

Inuhanyou

It's definitely a console exclusive, meant that as in a PC version can still be possible.
KT and Sony have always been as vague as they can be before porting something on PC.

Well i guess there is always hope for those PC players lol. But i would not hold my breath

Im really surprised at how sony is managing to get so many exclusives like this. I hope its successful because dark souls feels like its waning while bloodborne and nioh carry on the spirit

I think this is actually a much easier exclusive pick up than most other titles. It's a new IP in a category of games that lean towards the hardcore. So sales potential isn't exactly high to begin with (e.g. it would be a pretty big success for this to hit 200k in first month NPD). Thus, Sony is able to step in and assume publishing duties worldwide aside from Japan and lessen the potential burdens and risks on KT.

ianpm31

It will stay as a Sony exclusive. Sony is publishing it everywhere in the world except Japan and you can bet Sony will make sure its only on their platform.

Eolz

It will stay as a Sony exclusive. Sony is publishing it everywhere in the world except Japan and you can bet Sony will make sure its only on their platform.

Again, not the first game they have exclusive on their console, that they publish (or even own) and still the original publisher port on pc later.
edit: I don't care I'm getting it day one on PS4, just saying it's really not something like Bloodborne.

ianpm31

Again, not the first game they have exclusive on their console, that they publish (or even own) and still the original publisher port on pc later.

Full blown retail games? I know there's some digital indie examples but that's really not the same.

Caim

Does anyone think the Digital Deluxe weapons will be worth a crap, or likely just early game disposable nonsense as seems the norm for these kinds of bonuses?

I guess they'd be decent early on, but at least you can transfer appearances if you like how they look.

c7e7886ffd590f5cf060531551a3ebd8.png

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I would easily double dip if at any point they decided to bring this to PC. I know it's not happening, but it's nice to dream(4K native 60fps+Gsync)...

Badgerst3

Best single player game since Bloodborne. NeoGAF is gonna implode on Wednesday and Friday once these people realize they're playing the next Demon's Souls.

Went from discovering this game Monday to this thread to just digitally pre-ordering an hour ago.

Dem feels when you stumble on a game you had no idea about.

Can't wait.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I just find a very interesting interview, a site translate famitsu's Team Ninja's HAYASHI interview(not English) last year.
He said that will have several PS4 exclusives in their plan ,and the multi-platform limit the quality of their games like DOA5 LR
Could anybody find the English Article or famitsu source, have any English Media report that?
So Nioh seems just the beginning?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Shame there's no demo for this. Looks great. But i have my funds set aside already for NieR. 😕

Eolz

Full blown retail games? I know there's some digital indie examples but that's really not the same.

Sony recently had No Man Sky for example. KT recently had a nice "only on playstation" logo on Atelier and Nights of Azure. There's the usual "console debut/exclusive/etc" fiasco from Sony (Nioh wasn't shown as a PS4 exclusive at PSX unlike other games), etc.
It's not a first party IP, let's stop acting like it is.

Guys when can we expect more reviews?

When Polygon gets good enough. Gies apparently needs a colleague to help him in every level and they're still failing.

Sony is publishing it but Sony doesn't own the IP. We don't know what the contracting situation is but it's entirely possible for Sony to publish it first and then if the series is popular and takes off, KT to publish the PC version by themselves.

But, all that's far too speculative. I wouldn't be surprised if it's fully exclusive. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

Edit: Also, the game cover doesn't feature any sort of "Only on" or "console exclusive" branding in NA. That obviously doesn't mean much given how terrible Sony is with that stuff but it might also just be the result of a weird publishing deal in place.

viHuGi

Banned
Sony recently had No Man Sky for example. KT recently had a nice "only on playstation" logo on Atelier and Nights of Azure. There's the usual "console debut/exclusive/etc" fiasco from Sony (Nioh wasn't shown as a PS4 exclusive at PSX unlike other games), etc.
It's not a first party IP, let's stop acting like it is.

When Polygon gets good enough. Gies apparently needs a colleague to help him in every level and they're still failing.

Not interested on that website since I saw one of them playing Doom tbh

Reviews of graphics vary widely from shit to great.

Those who have it: thoughts? Trust you fine folks more than Trusted Reviews

Expect it to look like a remastered PS3 game. Aesthetically, that'll be up to personal taste. I think the enemy and character designs are fantastic, and the levels are very moody.

GonzoCR

Shucks. 😡

Agreed, I think they should release the Alpha stages as a demo a few weeks after launch. The demos were probably played by a lot more people than they would've been otherwise because being timed gave them a sense of urgency, but after launch there's no point.

Everybody should play this on Action mode. There aren't any added effects or textures in the movie modes, just better resolution. 60 FPS is a must for gameplay.

Also, not sure if everyone realized this or not, but you can one shot the heavily armored samurai enemies with helmets, you just have to use a rifle or cannon, which makes total sense.

I can't remember if the demo had a bestiary but it would have been really nice if they included one. The Japanese mythological creatures (e.g. the Kasa-Obake, Kappa, Nurikabe, Ōnyūdō etc. ) that enemies in this game are based on are really great.

I meant to compliment the bestiary in this game in my initial kind-of-impressions post earlier. It's extremely detailed and further bits of information such as weaknesses, further lore and so on can be unlocked on each.

There is tons of text on all enemy types, NPCs, historical relevance and so on actually and I'm not even far into it. The game in general is extremely packed with details.

Inuhanyou

Everybody should play this on Action mode. There aren't any added effects or textures in the movie modes, just better resolution. 60 FPS is a must for gameplay.

Also, not sure if everyone realized this or not, but you can one shot the heavily armored samurai enemies with helmets, you just have to use a rifle or cannon, which makes total sense.

People can play the game how they want IMO.

Nioh plays far better than any souls game on console at 30fps(outside of the DS2 remaster) with no framepacing or dropped frames with the bonus of increases clarity. that's the beauty of choice. You can decide how you want to play, that's why they gave people options

GonzoCR

People can play the game how they want IMO.

Nioh plays far better than any souls game on console at 30fps(outside of the DS2 remaster) with no framepacing or dropped frames with the bonus of increases clarity. that's the beauty of choice. You can decide how you want to play, that's why they gave people options

Movie mode plays well? May actually do that for a second playthrough then. I was under the impression it wasn't very good.

I feel like I'm going to be behind at the very beginning due to having ignored the demos completely haha.

It definitely has a learning curve to it. If you've played all of From's games, then you'll have a lot of the basics down, but there are still things to learn about the combat system.

Rozart

I meant to compliment the bestiary in this game in my initial kind-of-impressions post earlier. It's extremely detailed and further bits of information such as weaknesses, further lore and so on can be unlocked on each.

There is tons of text on all enemy types, NPCs, historical relevance and so on actually and I'm not even far into it. The game in general is extremely packed with details.

sogood.gif.

I love it when game developers take the time to do that. I may have some issues with TW3 but I absolutely loved the amount of care that CDPR put into the game's bestiary section.

Top Bottom