• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

maverick40

Polygon have to be taking the piss?

I am finding Nioh way easier than Souls games.

Eugh, they are going to thrash this game due to their incompetence

but what I'm trying to figure out is why is it just Polygon it seems

is it the people that make up it, Do they have some certain odd philosophy of viewing games

it just seems like their the odd duck of video game reviews

They have accepted multi hundred thousand dollar contracts from Microsoft to produce marketing material disguised as journalism, and gave The Last of Us a 7.5.

Pretty much all you need to know.

They're part of that Vox group, not really journalists just a bunch of hipsters in an office paid to spam coverage on absolutely everything with no concern about quality control or accuracy.

I don't know if it's known, but the game is up for pre load on PSN now.

I can't wait for Monday night! It's gonna be my first Souls style game

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp, I pre-ordered the deluxe digital edition. I figure the season pass is gonna be worth it. Hope I didn't screw up, but the demos were all so very good, I can't imagine I'd be disappointed.

And yep it pre-loaded, wooooo

....Except, I won't be able to play it until like, a week after. :( Tuesday night is midnight, too late, got work the next day; nor Wednesday night (will be busy), and on Friday, I leave out of town for 4 days, so no week-end either. I'll have a bit of time to play it on Thursday evening and that's it.

;___; The struggle is real

Those Polygon and Colin Moriarty excerpts scream of "I don't know how to play the game yet I'll obliviously put the blame on the difficulty curve instead" in typical fashion.

If the bosses take 10+ minutes for them, then I wouldn't be surprised if - much like IGN's fight vs Onryoki (one of the very first bosses) - they don't use Ki Pulse / Flux, they don't swap stances for offensive / defensive benefits, they don't eliminate the Yokai aura fields for windows of opportunity, they don't reduce an enemy's stamina and so forth. Components that are integral to Nioh's combat flow and when these aforementioned elements are not utilized, likely give them the false impression that they have to play passively despite the tutorial dojo highlighting their functions. It's impressive how often the same publications are so obtuse about important nuances in these kind of action-oriented games (no matter how they're communicated by any given game) while regularly refusing to reflect on errors of their own judgement. Even though their profession revolves around their ability to critique. Semantics, I suppose.
Hear hear

WolfTime

Banned
They have accepted multi hundred thousand dollar contracts from Microsoft to produce marketing material disguised as journalism, and gave The Last of Us a 7.5.

Pretty much all you need to know.

They're part of that Vox group, not really journalists just a bunch of hipsters in an office paid to spam coverage on absolutely everything with no concern about quality control or accuracy.

Didn't they mark Witcher 3's score because, i believe there exact reasoning was "there wasn't enough black people in it" or something

Welp, I pre-ordered the deluxe digital edition. I figure the season pass is gonna be worth it. Hope I didn't screw up, but the demos were all so very good, I can't imagine I'd be disappointed.

Just in case you don't know, the three DLCs have been revealed.

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

I imagine this set up would be like the three crowns dlc for DS2.

xuchu

Argh you guys and your early copies... it's making the short wait even harder. Hope you're enjoying it nonetheless.

Fistwell

That said what absolutely is fair is not wanting to play a game where you have to learn. I'm not always in the mood for these type of games either. Sometimes you just want to relax or don't even have the mindset to approach these games correctly making the learning process hard or impossible. But that's different from inaccurately portraying these games as these unbelievably brutal challenges. Not even comparable to some of the old unfair arcade games.
Yeah, I agree with most of what you said. And, I think it's kind of a problem when there's an obvious disconnect between reviewer's expectations going in and what the game is and is trying to achieve. It's like reviewing football manager and expecting fifa. Or reviewing UC3 and expecting nonlinear story telling.

Guess it depends on what the review is supposed to be. I'd rather the review tell me what the game wants to be/to do, and how successful it is at it. Instead, you sometimes get reviews about what the reviewer expected, what he thinks the game should have been, or how the genre should evolve or something. It can all be interesting, but going into a review, I'm more interested in the game itself and the reviewer's expectations and broader opinions. I'm happy to have that stuff in there, but that it would orient the entire review is a little weird to me. But hey, free country. It's just kind of... funny (I guess?) that polygon, after that doom video, also openly insists that nioh is too hard. Which, judging by the demos sounds like more of a case of fighting against the mechanics, instead of playing with them. (But that's something you talked about in terms of learning the game.)

Also, gies twitter rant yet?

Milijango

Well, yes, maybe their opinion don't, but their final score do.

If they're struggling with the game and give it a 5, it'll heavily impact MC score.

Eh, Metacritic will be Metacritic. You shouldn't put so much stock in their scores especially since you don't know how they're calculated. And while it would be naive to think that MC scores don't affect sales the 1-point difference that would arise from a low Polygon score isn't going to matter much.

xuchu

Oh god, and I barely even managed to scratch him in the Last Chance demo. Guess I need to git gud

And if all else fails, I guess I can grind, right...?

Don't worry. After a little practice and learning his tells, you'll soon dance around him. Remember O+S, how they seemed insurmountable and how there are nothing to you now. Muneshige will be, and already is, exactly the same.

So, I must ask. How do health items work in Nioh? Is it like in Bloodborne where you have to farm Blood Vials every time you use them or do the save points work more like a save state from the moment you reached them?

I really haven't played any of the Souls games besides Bloodborne, so I'm not sure how it works on the other games either.

And yep it pre-loaded, wooooo

....Except, I won't be able to play it until like, a week after. :( Tuesday night is midnight, too late, got work the next day; nor Wednesday night (will be busy), and on Friday, I leave out of town for 4 days, so no week-end either. I'll have a bit of time to play it on Thursday evening and that's it.

;___; The struggle is real

Hear hear
I also preordered the digital deluxe version. The demos were great, but the Last Chance demo really solidified my interest in the game. Plus the glowing reviews and impressions helped me pay $80 for game. Never done that before.

Baalzebup

So, I must ask. How do health items work in Nioh? Is it like in Bloodborne where you have to farm Blood Vials every time you use them or do the save points work more like a save state from the moment you reached them?

I really haven't played any of the Souls games besides Bloodborne, so I'm not sure how it works on the other games either.
The current system is as follows: You will always replenish to a certain minimum number, which is dependent on how many Kodama you have found in the region. You can pick up extra ones up to a certain limit as drops from the enemies. Any extra ones that you pick up beyond your maximum carry limit are automatically sent to your storage. When you visit a shrine, or die, and you elixir count is under your auto-replenish value, you get that many AND then fill out the extra capacity up to your allotted maximum from your stores. If the elixir count is above your auto-replenish value, then you only get the extra refill from you storage.

Or in Soulsborne speak, it is a combination of the Estus and Blood Vial systems.

Fistwell

Don't worry. After a little practice and learning his tells, you'll soon dance around him. Remember O+S, how they seemed insurmountable and how there are nothing to you now. Muneshige will be, and already is, exactly the same.
I had that with muneshige several times over. In the beta, he started out hard. Eventually I barely had to pay attention to crush him, dodging through or around his attacks with no effort.

Then, in the last chance demo, I went in expecting to crush him and realized.... I had unlearned the game. Had to climb that hill again. But yeah, overall, a little annoying (stamina dont mean shit to him) but no biggie.

Muneshige absolutely trounced me. I was probably underleveled though - I didn't do any grinding, I just beat the Ogress.
Yeah, gear plays a big role and can make him a lot easier or a lot harder. Learning to handle his moves has basically a similar effect. When you know the fight and have good to great gear, he's very easy. When you only have one of the two, he's OK. With neither gear nor knowledge it's tough.

preta

I had almost no trouble with O+S. I found them extremely overhyped in terms of difficulty, to be honest. :V

Muneshige absolutely trounced me. I was probably underleveled though - I didn't do any grinding, I just beat the Ogress.

JimiNutz

Banned
I know that there is some sort of co-op in the game but is it always with a random partner or can a friend and I play through the whole game together?

Fistwell

I know that there is some sort of co-op in the game but is it always with a random partner or can a friend and I play through the whole game together?
Never tried myself, but I think you can coordinate things to play with a friend. The option I'd pick was 'random encounters' when looking for a game to join, but I think you can set a password or something to allow your friend(s) to look for your game and join up.

When joining, you get booted if either you or the host dies. But guess you could join back up. There's a currency you use to summon help, but it didn't seem too hard to come by.

Gbraga

To their credit, I didn't really like a single boss I faced in any of the previous demos either, and "too much health" was a constant complaint about the bosses here on GAF too, even from people who were liking the game.

They're just not very well designed. Even the easy ones, like the one on the boat and the Ogress, so it's not a case of "getting my ass kicked, so it must be the game's fault".

None of them took that long to beat, though, but that could change in the final game, how would we know?

Milijango

To their credit, I didn't really like a single boss I faced in any of the previous demos either, and "too much health" was a constant complaint about the bosses here on GAF too, even from people who were liking the game.

They're just not very well designed. Even the easy ones, like the one on the boat and the Ogress, so it's not a case of "getting my ass kicked, so it must be the game's fault".

None of them took that long to beat, though, but that could change in the final game, how would we know?

That's a good point. Boat guy had, what, 5 attacks? Never mind difficulty, I just hope that he's not representative of the bosses. Then again, even Jim Sterling thought the bosses mostly didn't live up to expectations.

Ferr986

That's a good point. Boat guy had, what, 5 attacks? Never mind difficulty, I just hope that he's not representative of the bosses. Then again, even Jim Sterling thought the bosses mostly didn't live up to expectations.

Yeah in that Playstation acces stream they fought the
spider lady
boss and it wasn't very varied on attacks too.

Muneshige though it was more complex than any Yokai boss I saw so far. Wonder if the big roadblocks will be human bosses.

About the HP pool of bosses, I do think too they were too big on beta bosses. I guess they did it to make players grind the loot, considering loot is an important part in this game (and gear helps a lot more than say, Souls game).

EDIT: Oh, also, a lot of people play this like Souls. Like exactly like it. The Playstation access dude never change stances. There's certainly a higher leveling curve on learning to play this game and playing like Souls, even if possible, makes everything takes longer.

Fistwell

Didn't really have a problem with bosses health pool, but I come from monster hunter. Wailing on khezu for 50 minutes to no avail (in 2F) might have shifted my expectations. *shrug*

I don't know where to put this but they seem to have been inspired a bit much by Geralt:

8je12OC.jpg

Fistwell

Pointy chin, would not bang.

I don't know, there's something. A lot of it is the hair, skin tone and body comp. Face is kinda similar but, eh, dunno. I couldn't unsee braveheart mel gibson in the witcher 2. This guy here isn't very mel gibson-y. But yeah, there's something.

He also has a pendant. And gets semi naked when soaking.

ZZChao

Neo Member
Ah thanks.

I'm considering to quit and sell the game. The second boss is the epitome of unfair game design.

Every damn hit stun locks you for seconds. Get hit? You die.

What a joke.

Had the same problem. Changed my loadout and equiped items to avoid paralysis and it did the trick. Still, I also didn't like the fight.

Top Bottom