• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Movie mode plays well? May actually do that for a second playthrough then. I was under the impression it wasn't very good.

Based on my own experience of around 16 or so hours with last chance demo in total(about 4 or 5 of those being 1080p30), movie mode is really great and just a different way of playing the game.

You can feel the difference of course, especially in combat, but its just different, not worse.

John from DF says its also pretty good outside of the fact that he was unused to it since playing the 60fps mode for so long. According to his experience there is also some slight occasional judder, but he said it generally would be of no consequence to players not looking for it.

As a PS4 amateur user, i'm probably going to go 1080p30 for my first playthrough and then 720p60 on my second

People can play the game how they want IMO.

Nioh plays far better than any souls game on console at 30fps(outside of the DS2 remaster) with no framepacing or dropped frames with the bonus of increases clarity. that's the beauty of choice. You can decide how you want to play, that's why they gave people options

See, I'd be a lot more likely to play the movie mode if it went all out in added bells and whistles. You know, more details, effects, and the like. The resolution bump alone makes it seem kinda eh.

GonzoCR

Based on my own experience of around 16 or so hours with last chance demo in total(about 4 or 5 of those being 1080p30), movie mode is really great and just a different way of playing the game.

You can feel the difference of course, especially in combat, but its just different, not worse.

John from DF says its also pretty good outside of the fact that he was unused to it since playing the 60fps mode for so long. According to his experience there is also some slight occasional judder, but he said it generally would be of no consequence to players not looking for it.

As a PS4 amateur user, i'm probably going to go 1080p30 for my first playthrough and then 720p60 on my second

It' fine, perfect 30fps unlike the framepacing-plagued SoulsBorne on PS4. I played most of my demo sessions in movie mode.

Cool, thanks for answering. I had no problems with Bloodborne, so if it's better than that I'll definitely go for it at some point. PS4 amateur peasant here too.

Inuhanyou

See, I'd be a lot more likely to play the movie mode if it went all out in added bells and whistles. You know, more details, effects, and the like. The resolution bump alone makes it seem kinda eh.

Sure, but there isn't really much to add. You get the sense that they optimized the game for 60fps as a priority(hence the weaker visuals and enemy placement), and then added a 1080p 30fps mode for options sake.

We already know that there was a movie mode since alpha that got to 1080p 30(but unlocked so it went above 30), but that was not primarily their goal, it was getting to the 60fps optimization layer.

If they had just been making a 1080p30fps game to begin with, they probably would not have spent nearly as much time on it prior to testing, cause they hit that threshold before any of us got to even play the game

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Whoa! You can adjust the game setting to run 720p60 on the PS4? That's amazing.

Inuhanyou

Whoa! You can adjust the game setting to run 720p60 on the PS4? That's amazing.

Yes, it is a feature specific to Nioh. Team Ninja optimized the game logic and design for 1080p30 and 720p60, which you can switch in the menus.

The game operates on dynamic resolution scaling, so there are times the 60fps option can jump to higher res, up to 900p, but its very rare to move from 720p. Likewise the 1080p30 option can drop below 1080p, but its just as rare.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it is a feature specific to Nioh. Team Ninja optimized the game logic and design for 1080p30 and 720p60.

There are times the 60fps can option can jump to higher res, up to 900p, but its very rare to move from 720p

That really is fantastic. I know PC games have had options like this for years. It's about time it's available on console. I wish more developers did that.

Inuhanyou

That really is fantastic. I know PC games have had options like this for years. It's about time it's available on console. I wish more developers did that.

I don't think i want devs to do it on the regular quite honestly. Its fine for Nioh cause team ninja were aiming for 60 all along, so their game looks very drab and they planned only several enemies on screen at a time.

but it would be unreasonable for every game of all scales or development pipelines to attempt to shoehorn something like that in

Zasa

RIP my wallet these next two months. Damn. Saving up for all four of RE7, Nioh, Andromeda & Horizon. Plus, I already bought Yakuza..

What a great year for SP games so far.

Jimrpg

I don't think i want devs to do it on the regular quite honestly. Its fine for Nioh cause team ninja were aiming for 60 all along, so their game looks very drab and they planned only several enemies on screen at a time.

but it would be unreasonable for every game of all scales or development pipelines to attempt to shoehorn something like that in

Not going to turn this into a framerate debate, but I think 60fps is so much better for the eyes from a gameplay perspective. I remember being fine with Driveclub in 30fps, went back to try it last night, and immediately noticed it was 30fps and slightly disappointed with it. Weird, because I played through the entire game 2 years ago and was totally fine.

Anyways to bring it back to Nioh - glad they have a 60fps mode, I think the 30fps mode is kinda unnecessary, it doesn't look that much better, but the image definitely does look sharper. However its just not as fun to play in at 30fps.

wandering

Banned
I think there is a difference between something like Nioh and something like The Great Wall (the matt damon movie)

although even in that Great Wall movie, its not like it was created by westerners, it was Chinese made and its not like Matt Damon is playing a chinese guy, the story is about European mercenaries that come to China in search of gunpowder

I felt like people thought he was literally playing a Chinese guy at first

The Great Wall was in fact conceived, written, and produced by Hollywood folks.

As for Nioh, it's not whitewashing, but I find it a little bit disappointing since I'd like to see more Asian video game protagonists. Oh well, I'll keep on dreaming about a game featuring a Chinese character in the American frontier.

The Great Wall was in fact conceived, written, and produced by Hollywood folks.

As for Nioh, it's not whitewashing, but I find it a little bit disappointing since I'd like to see more Asian video game protagonists. Oh well, I'll keep on dreaming about a game about a Chinese character in the American frontier.
Damn that last part sounds awesome.

Rozart

The problem, then, is just how lengthy these encounters are. Nioh bosses have giant health pools, and each attack chips away only a small percentage of the whole. That aforementioned need to be at complete attention during a fight is a satisfying challenge when you’re up against a couple of weaker enemies that go down in a minute or less. Those same demands stretched across ten-plus minutes for a boss fight become a grueling struggle to stay sane as you cautiously repeat the same dance of dodging and attacking over and over without a momentary slip-up.

In our time with Nioh so far, it’s a constant push and pull between those moments of satisfying triumph and abject, frustrating failure. Challenge is good, but we’re not yet convinced that Nioh handles its devotion to difficulty well at all times.

Did Polygon not like the Soulsborne games either? They seem to be struggling with Nioh.

Yeesh.
Gamespot and Polygon need to step it up.

Then again, I shouldn't talk. I'm barely halfway through Gravity Rush 2. Gotta finish that before Tuesday...somehow.

MCD

Did Polygon not like the Soulsborne games either? They seem to be struggling with Nioh.

Sounds like a legit critique. The demo with Ogre boss felt like forever just taking bits of his HP down.

It's usually a problem with Japanese games especially so in TN's case. They love bosses that take forever to beat down.

Dunno, but Colin Moriarty said this on Twitter:
I know folks are having fun teasing Polygon over Nioh, but in their defense the game is difficult to a laughable extreme. Souls on steroids.

I've been playing games for a very, very long time, and I pride myself on being a good player. And it sure is kicking MY ass, ruthlessly.

I'm sorry, as someone who's a Soulsborne player myself, I understand where some people can come from saying that the game is hard (which everyone universally has said). However, you see people beating souls game at Level 1 without modding all the time in the souls community. The notion it's too hard is understandable, but sooner or later we'll see a big difference with souls players doing the most extreme runs possible, probably. But yeah, Polygon and Gamespot should get it together.

Damn I should have went digital instead of a physical copy. I won't receive it until Tuesday it says. Hopefully it's earlier.

I didn't play the alpha, beta, or Last Chance demo. Am I screwed? How many times will I die within the first hour of play?

Jamiaro

Damn I should have went digital instead of a physical copy. I won't receive it until Tuesday it says. Hopefully it's earlier.

I didn't play the alpha, beta, or Last Chance demo. Am I screwed? How many times will I die within the first hour of play?

You will cry and scream at your TV for a bit.

Phloxy

My review is coming tomorrow. I can't state it enough. This game is the throwback to the gaming we always wish new games took us too. When we talk about games ain't like they used to be, when you are nostalgic and remembering summer time in a friends room playing a PS1 or PS2 joint for hours and felt like the game was spoiling you with an abundance of riches and content and you were just having a fucking blast.

This is hands down the closest any game has gotten to bringing me back to that era. Nothing has come close. Absolute fucking masterpiece. https://clips.twitch.tv/namtox/UnusualWrenPanicBasket
This game is really something special.

benzy

Team Ninja usually releases their preorder DLC as separately priced downloads later right? Won't be able to get the game day 1 but the preorder DLC armors look awesome.

Those Polygon and Colin Moriarty excerpts scream of "I don't know how to play the game yet I'll obliviously put the blame on the difficulty curve instead" in typical fashion.

If the bosses take 10+ minutes for them, then I wouldn't be surprised if - much like IGN's fight vs Onryoki (one of the very first bosses) - they don't use Ki Pulse / Flux, they don't swap stances for offensive / defensive benefits, they don't eliminate the Yokai aura fields for windows of opportunity, they don't reduce an enemy's stamina and so forth. Components that are integral to Nioh's combat flow and when these aforementioned elements are not utilized, likely give them the false impression that they have to play passively despite the tutorial dojo highlighting their functions. It's impressive how often the same publications are so obtuse about important nuances in these kind of action-oriented games (no matter how they're communicated by any given game) while regularly refusing to reflect on errors of their own judgement. Even though their profession revolves around their ability to critique. Semantics, I suppose.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's just people like Colin or anyone that complains it's too difficult don't like to learn.
They fundamentally do not understand that these games are about learning.
When you read shit like "I've been a gamer for years and I pride myself in my skill"... like jesus that's just a blatant display of not getting it.

Like why would anyone expect these games to be easier just because they've been skilled in different games? Makes 0 sense to me.

Like sorry to those people I say I've been a gamer for years and I actually think I'm pretty bad at a lot of games and yet I've managed to beat every souls game and plat them all, because learning to get better is part of the fun and incentivized. Basically I do just actually git gud(to be honest you don't have to be good to beat those games, everyone in the known souls community would probably demolish me in pvp with ease) and enjoy the journey towards it. What starts out hard becomes more and more manageable.

And with that yes I'm going to be one of the people to say these games are not that fucking hard. If you commit to them and learn them they're super doable. Souls doesn't even need great reflexes. There are so many other game that are actually hard where you might not even get anywhere despite spending hours practicing.

That said what absolutely is fair is not wanting to play a game where you have to learn. I'm not always in the mood for these type of games either. Sometimes you just want to relax or don't even have the mindset to approach these games correctly making the learning process hard or impossible. But that's different from inaccurately portraying these games as these unbelievably brutal challenges. Not even comparable to some of the old unfair arcade games.

Edit: In short people should stop being babies and just ask themselves if they enjoy learning a game or not easy as that.

WolfTime

Banned
Is there something about Polygon culture that makes its self react to these types of games in a negative way compared to other reviewers?

It almost sees like there are game reviewer websites and then there is Polygon

Is there something about Polygon culture that makes its self react to these types of games in a negative way compared to other reviewers?

It almost sees like there are game reviewer websites and then there is Polygon

I don't think anyone really takes Polygon seriously

It's valid for a game to be too difficult for someone to enjoy, but not all games need to be 100% accessible to everyone. Some movies are too intellectually or emotional challenging for people, it doesn't make them worse movies, and if you are a critic then it's your job to see beyond your own limitations when giving a verdict.

But yeah Polygon never do that so expect a high 70s/low 80s score.

WolfTime

Banned
I don't think anyone really takes Polygon seriously

It's valid for a game to be too difficult for someone to enjoy, but not all games need to be 100% accessible to everyone. Some movies are too intellectually or emotional challenging for people, it doesn't make them worse movies, and if you are a critic then it's your job to see beyond your own limitations when giving a verdict.

But yeah Polygon never do that so expect a high 70s/low 80s score.

but what I'm trying to figure out is why is it just Polygon it seems

is it the people that make up it, Do they have some certain odd philosophy of viewing games

it just seems like their the odd duck of video game reviews

Top Bottom