• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People are allowed to have diff opinions. I noticed certain things in the demos that could be bugbears for some players stretched out over an entire game.

But on the whole, i think for a majority of people, the full experience will make those nitpicks rather small complaints on the whole.

As a first try, Nioh i feel is clearly a success. In expansions or sequels, they can really go to work on any flaws people have pointed out

Deku Tree

13h in and I can confirm the enemy variety is not particularly high. The game might have just not appealed to the reviewer which is perfectly fine. Not sure what he means by "predictable" though?

That's disappointing to hear. ninja gaiden games have always had good enemy variety through the whole game and lots of new enemy types in each new level.

Zaventem

Nioh just scored a 6,5 from a dutch gaming website.

"Nioh offers a very strong first impression, but cannot sustain it. The combat mechanics are deep and rewarding, but thanks to a repetitive pattern of a handful of enemies the player goes into automatic pilot too quickly.

+ deep fighting system
+ at first; challenging and rewarding

- repetitive; small number of different enemies
- predictable
- boss encounters not memorable"

Thoughts from guys who are more than ten hours into this game?

i don't mind spoiling myself so i've been watching countless streams, and the biggest criticism i had was enemy variety early on and it didn't improve, not even in the late game. Yeah i get why developers reskin things different colors and this game has been in development hell for quite some time so i expected a bit more on that side. I'm still very much excited to give my full thoughts on the game when i get my hands on it and do a fleshed out playthrough.

Karu

Link to review? Also this seems to be the lowest score given to Nioh so this one will get most clicks due to clickbait material people will wonder why it got a low score so a definite click
dissenting opinion is automatic clickbait. All hail the hivemind. And then you ask for a link. You played yourself.

Inuhanyou

That's disappointing to hear. ninja gaiden games have always had good enemy variety through the whole game and lots of new enemy types in each new level.

Eh, i would not go that far. generally in Ninja gaiden 1, for most of the game you either fight enemy ninjas, army dudes, the teleporting guys, or the pink yokai that can go into the ground.

Otherwise its all bosses.

In NG2 you fight army dudes, the bigger pink yokai, the flying grey ones, the mermaid ones, spider clan and rocket spammers

In NG3 you basically fight army dudes the whole time, then a few versions of chimera, spider clan at points(although i dont know if that's just razor's edge)

(for new page)

I suppose this has to do with the fighting patters becoming repetitive, and thus predictable.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/...ilt-potentieel

From what I've read: reviewer really liked the demos. But after a ten hour mark he sort of got the feeling that from there on out, it was pretty much the same enemies in the rest, and he couldn't see the positive past that negative anymore. Other games get a mention, Call of Duty and the like also feature random soldier after random soldier. But he could not forgive it in a game like this, where it should be about the surprising, awkward and tense dance between player and foe.

Lol man the comment section. Always looked meh etc. Oh boy, they only visit this site? Sorry, just found that funny. Carry on.

No there's no easy mode, It's easier than NG and Dark Souls according to reviewers but the beginning wall you have to overcome is harder.

The difficulty is honestly about the same as your first Souls game. No harder, no easier so far. I have played all 5 Souls games.

I just tried it again and watched the video again. This guy does way...way more damage than my character. So it's not surprising that it looked that easy.

Damage is one thing but the main take away is to watch how he handles the different moves the boss throws at him. The only thing I would add is that if you're not confident, dodge sideways and not into the attack.

Also the reason for higher damage is because he's using a spear and high stance. He's not over-leveled as he showed at the start.

BigEmil

dissenting opinion is automatic clickbait. All hail the hivemind. And then you ask for a link. You played yourself.
It's fact that lowest score giving reviews for any games get most of the clicks, when many reviews average around say 8 or 9 people will likely will just click on one of the many reviews and be done with it, but when they see a very low score compared to the average people's curiosity rises and pretty much everyone clicks it to see why it scored so low.
I just read the review and he seemed so focus on only those aspects but seems to forget nearly everything else about this game like looking an excuse to try to give this game a lower than expected score one that is in line with his thoughts and review majorly negative.
Also before clicking on clickbait articles i always turn on ublock origin (adblock) so no ad revenue from me

It's fact that lowest score giving reviews for any games get most of the clicks, when many reviews average around say 8 or 9 people will likely will just click on one of the many reviews and be done with it, but when they see a very low score compared to the average people's curiosity rises and pretty much everyone clicks it to see why it scored so low.
I just read the review and he seemed so focus on only those aspects but seems to forget nearly everything else about this game like looking an excuse to try to give this game a lower than expected score one that is in line with his thoughts and review majorly negative.
Also before clicking on clickbait articles i always turn on ublock origin (adblock) so no ad revenue from me

receipts?

napata

I've seen reviewers on GAF say that lower than average scores do not give more clicks. Maybe just maybe he didn't like the game as much as other reviewers. Ever consider that as the reason for the lower score?

receipts?

It's not true from what I've heard.

BigEmil

I've seen reviewers on GAF say that lower than average scores do not give more clicks. Maybe just maybe he didn't like the game as much as other reviewers. Ever consider that as the reason for the lower score?

It's not true from what I've heard.
Even with Nioh review just recently now published on the site it got 3 whole pages of comments and counting already
Check their previous reviews just before Nioh, all of them only one page of comments
http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies...olly-world-review-lager-wordt-de-drempel-niet
http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies...ers-mega-battle-review-geen-speelbare-morfine
http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/126396/yakuza-0-review-misdadige-perfectie
Yakuza 0 even ^
Also Reisdent Evil 7 a big known popular IP posted like 2 weeks ago only 2 pages of comments
http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/126331/resident-evil-7-biohazard-review-voelt-als-thuiskomen
All scored in the average review scores while Nioh is the lowest review score of 100's

SkylineRKR

Plan to go ninja build in the full game as well, anything nerfed? I could understand if they nerf power pill/bare handed parry or something but its hella fun.

That site generally sucks but their criticism hold merit I think. I didn't like any boss I faced in all of the demos. And the levels look unremarkable. What sets Nioh apart is the gameplay which I hold in higher regard than Souls. And the loot/craft/soul level system.

As always, people freaking out over bad one review from an unknown foreign site. Calm down guys, every game you've ever played is repetitive.

...Are people placing a higher focus on that one review because it's a negative one in a sea of positives?

Less we forget the motto of this thread is "Even Jim Sterling likes it." /s

BigEmil

As always, people freaking out over bad one review from an unknown foreign site. Calm down guys, every game you've ever played is repetitive.
When you review the game your meant to review every single aspect of the game as a whole not just focus on one or two to make it fit with your clickbait lowest score, the few positive aspects only wrote like just a sentence or two but negatives has a bunch of paragraphs
That's not common sense. I heard from sites that this is not the case, so I want so the receipts.
I posted recepts right above you. If that's not enough alone then your just choosing to remain ignorant.
Also those sites saying low scores don't get more clicks are lying so they can continue to do so

Deku Tree

Eh, i would not go that far. generally in Ninja gaiden 1, for most of the game you either fight enemy ninjas, army dudes, the teleporting guys, or the pink yokai that can go into the ground.

Otherwise its all bosses.

In NG2 you fight army dudes, the bigger pink yokai, the flying grey ones, the mermaid ones, spider clan and rocket spammers

In NG3 you basically fight army dudes the whole time, then a few versions of chimera, spider clan at points(although i dont know if that's just razor's edge)

NG1-3 also had other enemies that would show up through the levels. Demons, bugs, etc.

Mutombo

Yeah the whole clickbait thing sounds a bit fanboyish to be honest. I'm sure it differs per website, and per reviewer, but it's the same kind of silly argument that accuses sites of getting paid by game developers for good reviews. If something like that ever comes to light, the website, reviewers and the whole game are discredited in such a way that you might as well start filing bankruptcy.

After completing a game (40 hours) putting careful thought into writing a review (one day? half a day?) and getting paid shit money, it's real easy to finger point and call 'clickbait!' if you disagree with a review.

There are probably exceptions, but most gaming websites aren't buzzfeed.

TEN FEMALE CHARACTERS THAT DEFY SEXISM IN GAMES.

Now that's clickbait.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People obsess over the numbers definitely instead of on what it said.
I mean I can't read the review given I can't read dutch but the translated points seem fair?

Honestly people should rather get mad at reviews not informing sufficiently.
I've never been burned by someone giving a bad review to anything. I've been burned by reviewers not doing their job properly and for whatever reason overlook heavy flaws or not even recognize them at all giving a game something higher than it maybe deserves.

Inuhanyou

...Are people placing a higher focus on that one review because it's a negative one in a sea of positives?

Less we forget the motto of this thread is "Even Jim Sterling likes it." /s

Its fun to talk about different reviews. As long as that one review is not looked at as the actual standard for the game, why does it matter what people talk about for now?

we can probably expect a decent amount of reviews to pop up tomorrow, including gamespot and IGN that will move the metascore, that's when the real talk will begin again

NG1-3 also had other enemies that would show up through the levels. Demons, bugs, etc.

yeah there were bats bugs and zombies in the first one, and 2 had skeleton fish from hell(fuck em). but other then that...

myco666

When you review the game your meant to review every single aspect of the game as a whole not just focus on one or two to make it fit with your clickbait lowest score, the few positive aspects only wrote like just a sentence or two but negatives has a bunch of paragraphs

But what if you value those couple of aspects more? If those aspects weren't good it would bring the whole experience down much more than if some other not so important aspects weren't good instead. The reviewer just didn't like the game that much. It isn't clickbait.

Okay I give up. I never gave up in any souls game but this shit is ridiculous. I'll wait and see if I can summon another player. Otherwise I'm selling it. I'm not wasting my time any longer. 35 tries and I'm not even close to win this fight. Fuck this.

Link to review? Also this seems to be the lowest score given to Nioh so this one will get most clicks due to clickbait material people will wonder why it got a low score so a definite click

Or, and stop me if this idea is too crazy - maybe they didn't like it as much as everyone else.

BigEmil

But what if you value those couple of aspects more? If those aspects weren't good it would bring the whole experience down much more than if some other not so important aspects weren't good instead. The reviewer just didn't like the game that much. It isn't clickbait.
As i posted above the proof of clickbait which people said it wasn't. It is when it's getting the most clicks right now very fast and proof of their recent posted reviews of much bigger games and those got hardly any clicks because it's around the same review score and consensus as the other 100 reviews of those games.
Or, and stop me if this idea is too crazy - maybe they didn't like it as much as everyone else.
Sure that's fair everyone got different opinions i know that, but when loads of reviews have the same consensus then out of nowhere one review didn't just score it lower but much more lower than the average that's very clickbait and if you read their review then read other people's review you see this clickbait review is very biased against it, receipts and everything all above.

Inuhanyou

Okay I give up. I never gave up in any souls game but this shit is ridiculous. I'll wait and see if I can summon another player. Otherwise I'm selling it. I'm not wasting my time any longer. 35 tries and I'm not even close to win this fight. Fuck this.

You tried 35 times in a row to beat the second boss? You might need a new change of strategy..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Don't give up hope yet, take a breather if you have to. Cause the reward once it clicks is so worth it. Lots of us have been here, but with patience & observation it gets better. Get their animation/attack patterns memorized so it becomes second nature to dodge/punish. Also summoning another decent player most certainly helps as well. You can also always grind for Amarita & over level-up too. You shall overcome.

Sylas

As i posted above the proof of clickbait which people said it wasn't. It is when it's getting the most clicks right now very fast and proof of their recent posted reviews of much bigger games and those got hardly any clicks because it's around the same review score and consensus as the other 100 reviews of those games.

Sure that's fair everyone got different opinions i know that, but when loads of reviews have the same consensus then out of nowhere one review didn't just score it lower but much more lower than the average that's very clickbait and if you read their review then read other people's review you see this clickbait review is very biased against it, receipts and everything all above.

Oh, shut up. By your logic, what you're posting is clickbait because you're having a dissenting opinion.

They're allowed to post a score when they don't like a game. Or would you rather then dislike the game and give it an 8/10? Like what are you asking for here my dude.

Audioboxer

Keep in mind I think it's the kind of game that can double down and shine even more in a sequel (in terms of variety and what not). Although Demons Souls was a masterpiece, Dark Souls is objectively better in many ways with what was probably a bigger budget and a starting point of ideas/enemy designs to build from.

The bang for buck still seems very high in Nioh, with it being long and NG+. Temper expectations to have some corners cut/repetition is all I'd say.

myco666

So you are saying that every single reviewer should have the same opinion? Otherwise it is a clickbait? I skimmed through that review using google translator because I don't speak dutch but all of those seemed to be valid points.

Jamiaro

Running is an option for this boss. Seriously. Most of her big attacks can be evaded by running away/left/right, then get couple of hits in. Close quarters fighting is hard with that one.

Top Bottom