• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that you can block out of a combo.

Like most people would have the instinct to spam the dodge button when being hit, but they never tried the guard button.

usp84

So i just preordered thanks to all the impressions from people here and reviews.Big souls fan but i have feeling this game will make me rage even more lol.

Baalzebup

Ah thanks.

The second boss is the epitome of unfair game design.

Every damn hit stun locks you for seconds. Get hit? You die.

What a joke.

Actually, it is just an enemy that asks you to understand the underlying mechanics. Equipping more or less anything that grants paralysis resistance ups your threshold to a level where a single hit from the paralysis attack doesn't actually freeze you unless you eat another soon after.

IvorB

Didn't really have a problem with bosses health pool, but I come from monster hunter. Wailing on khezu for 50 minutes to no avail (in 2F) might have shifted my expectations. *shrug*

Yeah I didn't have a problem with this. And the complaint actually makes no sense to me. What is the "right" amount of health for a boss to have? How would anyone know since everyone's experience is different based on level/gear/skills etc. I just accept how much life the boss has and if I'm not doing enough damage then I will work to correct that rather than get all Goldilocks about the boss health pool.

[/B]

It's a consumable item. you get it once. That doesn't help at all. I don't have paralysis resistance either.

So get some armor that does?
But seriously you just need to press X to dodge it, it has a massive tell.

What is the "right" amount of health for a boss to have?
Not so much that i am bored fighting them , i only had this problem with ogress though.
If she actually was trying to fight me and not the air 5 feet behind me, maybe it wouldn't of been so much a problem.

Baalzebup

I still don't know how the fuck did you deal that much damage with that double katana spam attack. I did shit damage in the betas with it lol
Hino-Enma has relatively low health and eats damage something fierce when in zero Ki state, even more so that the other Yokai. He is using it when she is in that state.

Ferr986

Hino-Enma has relatively low health and eats damage something fierce when in zero Ki state, even more so that the other Yokai. He is using it when she is in that state.

I see. I knew about them taking more damage in no Ki state but didn't know it was that much.

...Now I don't know if I should go Katana+Spear or Duals+Spear lol

btw if you feel like you can't get the timing for dodging her paralysis blast, hold down the dodge button and just run sideways around her.

So get some armor that does?
But seriously you just need to press X to dodge it, it has a massive tell.

Not so much that i am bored fighting them , i only had this problem with ogress though.
If she actually was trying to fight me and not the air 5 feet behind me, maybe it wouldn't of been so much a problem.

I don't know what the boss was doing in your playthrough but
she
is constantly attacking me. I don't even have time to heal. One hit = stun lock = dead.

If I'm in a twilight mission can I safely turn the game off and come back tomorrow or is the mission failed as twilight mission seem to rotate daily?

sublimit

Banned
I'm away from my PS4 (and i will continue to be for the upcoming months) and this game is making me want to buy a second PS4 just to play it where i'm currently staying.

GonzoCR

Second boss is
Hino-Emma
? That'll go well...

But seriously if you can't dodge the blasts just run sideways and they'll never hit you. And
she only heals herself
if you get hit by the grab.

Ferr986

Second boss is
Hino-Emma
? That'll go well...

But seriously if you can't dodge the blasts just run sideways and they'll never hit you. And
she only heals herself
if you get hit by the grab.

Its weird. I felt the Ogress from the last demo was way easier. I thought
Hino
would be more of a mid game boss.

BigEmil

Hino Emna is super easy if it's same as she was in Beta, all her attacks are predictable ans dodgable and she does big telegraphs (whatever you call that thing) before her attacks and she specific sounds she makes before each attacks helps too

xuchu

I have 3....

And omg this is the worst boss ever made, I swear.
Not only stun lock bullshit, no. The boss heals itself constantly. What a damn joke his is.

I know you're frustrated. We've all been there in certain souls bosses too. Take a break and come back after a little while and I'm sure you'll beat her in a few attempts. She has a lot of easy tells and not much health compared to other bosses. Just do some scouting runs where you aren't attacking, just learning her moves and openings and I'm sure you'll destroy her. Good luck.

GonzoCR

Its weird. I felt the Ogress from the last demo was way easier. I thought
Hino
would be more of a mid game boss.

I agree, Ogress has some bullshit attacks but it's a much easier fight in general. I personally found
Hino
a big jump in difficulty compared to
Onryoki

man, i never noticed that
hino-enma
takes 25% stamina damage from a short-ass low-stance sqsqtri kick combo >__>

I don't know what he's doing or how he's doing this but it just doesn't work. She's way too fast in my game. Spamming all attacks left and right. I also have to get way closer to hit er because I have a katana.

It's not fun. Not fun at all.

please capture an attempt and upload it to youtube.

There is a spoiler thread btw for those already having the game...

People posting pics of the last boss and shit in there. I'll certainly not go there anymore.
I don't know what the boss was doing in your playthrough but
she
is constantly attacking me. I don't even have time to heal. One hit = stun lock = dead.

You're on full tilt dude, chill out. Have a break and come back later to the game. The boss is certainly not easy but everything she does is dodgeable. Took me many tries too but in the end I internalized her movements to the point where I had some potions left when she went down.

I do expect the second boss to be the end of this game for many players lol.

man, i never noticed that
hino-enma
takes 25% stamina damage from a short-ass low-stance sqsqtri kick combo >__>

please capture an attempt and upload it to youtube.

I'm a noob, I've never uploaded anything from my Ps4 lol. It would probably take me longer than beating this boss :D

People posting pics of the last boss and shit in there. I'll certainly not go there anymore.

You're on full tilt dude, chill out. Have a break and come back later to the game. The boss is certainly not easy but everything she does is dodgeable. Took me many tries to but in the end I internalized her movements to the point where I had some potions left when she went down.

I do expect the second boss to be the end of this game for many players lol.

Lol yeah :D
Going to have a small break and drink some coffee :p

I don't know what he's doing or how he's doing this but it just doesn't work. She's way too fast in my game. Spamming all attacks left and right. I also have to get way closer to hit er because I have a katana.

It's the same game, that video was not from the beta. Even if you're using a Katana the concept is still the same- bait out her attacks and get her on her cool downs.

She's fast but she's not lightning fast, don't get greedy with your attacks.

I'm a noob, I've never uploaded anything from my Ps4 lol. It would probably take me longer than beating this boss :D

is as hard as clicking the share button after an attempt has been made and choosing to share on yt. Quite intuitive, really. All instructions will be provided by the ps4.

Either way, imma go out on a leg and guess that you're being greedy and trying to unload on her between her attacks, instead of poking just once or twice and doding the fuck away.

FeArTriX

Try leveling up a little bit it always helps, back in the demo it took me a solid 10 tries to beat her, just don't get greedy and try to time your dodge and you should be fine

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Got digital deluxe fully preloaded and patiently waiting. Monday night needs to hurry the fuck up though.
Regarding bosses & frustration: if you're stuck on one enemy for 30min-1hour, it's time to take a breather. This definitely helps. You'll get to a point where you'll memorize every single movement of theirs and work up from there how to punish. Once you get really good at this, it's time to get naked & fancy! Gimmie that A-rank blue rating all day; light as a feather.

Mutombo

Nioh just scored a 6,5 from a dutch gaming website.

"Nioh offers a very strong first impression, but cannot sustain it. The combat mechanics are deep and rewarding, but thanks to a repetitive pattern of a handful of enemies the player goes into automatic pilot too quickly.

+ deep fighting system
+ at first; challenging and rewarding

- repetitive; small number of different enemies
- predictable
- boss encounters not memorable"

Thoughts from guys who are more than ten hours into this game?

Okay question- I know the OT would not be set up until tomorrow, but would it be fine if I set up a sort of temporary thread so that early players can divert gameplay questions there?

BlizzKrut

Banned

"Nioh offers a very strong first impression, but cannot sustain it. The combat mechanics are deep and rewarding, but thanks to a repetitive pattern of a handful of enemies the player goes into automatic pilot too quickly.

+ deep fighting system

- predictable

What's considered predictable? The story? The gameplay?

Jamiaro

+ deep fighting system

- predictable

Well that'll put this thread steaming. :D

BigEmil

+ deep fighting system

- predictable

Link to review? Also this seems to be the lowest score given to Nioh so this one will get most clicks due to clickbait material people will wonder why it got a low score so a definite click

Mutombo

What's considered predictable? The story? The gameplay?

I suppose this has to do with the fighting patters becoming repetitive, and thus predictable.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/126485/nioh-review-verspilt-potentieel

From what I've read: reviewer really liked the demos. But after a ten hour mark he sort of got the feeling that from there on out, it was pretty much the same enemies in the rest, and he couldn't see the positive past that negative anymore. Other games get a mention, Call of Duty and the like also feature random soldier after random soldier. But he could not forgive it in a game like this, where it should be about the surprising, awkward and tense dance between player and foe.

+ deep fighting system

- predictable

13h in and I can confirm the enemy variety is not particularly high. The game might have just not appealed to the reviewer which is perfectly fine. Not sure what he means by "predictable" though?

Mutombo

Why not link the review?

(for new page)

I suppose this has to do with the fighting patters becoming repetitive, and thus predictable.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/...ilt-potentieel

From what I've read: reviewer really liked the demos. But after a ten hour mark he sort of got the feeling that from there on out, it was pretty much the same enemies in the rest, and he couldn't see the positive past that negative anymore. Other games get a mention, Call of Duty and the like also feature random soldier after random soldier. But he could not forgive it in a game like this, where it should be about the surprising, awkward and tense dance between player and foe.

Top Bottom