• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Ferr986

Sure that's fair everyone got different opinions i know that, but when loads of reviews have the same consensus then out of nowhere one review didn't just score it lower but much more lower than the average that's very clickbait and if you read their review then read other people's review you see this clickbait review is very biased against it, receipts and everything all above.

Opinions are not a consensus. There wouldn't be a need of reviews if everyone had to like the same shit. There's NO game that is perfect and can be enyojed by literaly everyone.

Audioboxer

I can objectively tell you that I subjectively preferred demon's souls over dark souls. In almost every way.

It was a better high for me because it was my first. Dark Souls level design was just outrageously good though.

I think my point was more whatever game you prefer, usually a sequel gets more money poured into it and tries to build on from the first game (yes I know Dark Souls isn't technically a Demons Souls sequel).

Don't give up hope yet, take a breather if you have to. Cause the reward once it clicks is so worth it. Lots of us have been here, but with patience & observation it gets better. Get their animation/attack patterns memorized so it becomes second nature to dodge/punish. Also summoning another decent player most certainly helps as well. You can also always grind for Amarita & over level-up too. You shall overcome.

leveling-up in this mission would take me hours. I mean you can't even leave the mission (level). If you leave it you'll lose all your progress and you have to do everything again. It doesn't save the shrines or shortcuts.

Fistwell

It was a better high for me because it was my first. Dark Souls level design was just outrageously good though.

I think my point was more whatever game you prefer, usually a sequel gets more money poured into it and tries to build on from the first game (yes I know Dark Souls isn't technically a Demons Souls sequel).
Yah, understood and agreed, was just poking fun at "objectively."

leveling-up in this mission would take me hours and hours. I mean you can't even leave the mission (level). If you leave it you'll lose all your progress and you have to do everything again. It doesn't save the shrines or shortcuts.
Forget leveling up. Fight ghosts for sweet loot. Look for higher level ones with your weapon of choice. Unless they nerfed ghost drop rates in the final game?

BigEmil

So you are saying that every single reviewer should have the same opinion? Otherwise it is a clickbait? I skimmed through that review using google translator because I don't speak dutch but all of those seemed to be valid points.
The first main point was directed at Kenzodielocke he said low scores don't get more clicks so I showed him it does that's all. As for what I think is clickbait is what I see and believe if you don't think it is that's cool

FeArTriX

Okay I give up. I never gave up in any souls game but this shit is ridiculous. I'll wait and see if I can summon another player. Otherwise I'm selling it. I'm not wasting my time any longer. 35 tries and I'm not even close to win this fight. Fuck this.

Patience man, games like this takes time to learn them.

I would actually help you if I had the game now.

silva1991

Okay I give up. I never gave up in any souls game but this shit is ridiculous. I'll wait and see if I can summon another player. Otherwise I'm selling it. I'm not wasting my time any longer. 35 tries and I'm not even close to win this fight. Fuck this.

Are you still talking about the second boss? lol I'm even more excited now. I haven't watched any streams and have no idea about the first few bosses.

Yah, understood and agreed, was just poking fun at "objectively."

Forget leveling up. Fight ghosts for sweet loot. Look for higher level ones with your weapon of choice. Unless they nerfed ghost drop rates in the final game?

Oh I love fighting ghosts but the loot is not very good so far.

Are you still talking about the second boss? lol I'm even more excited now. I haven't watched any streams and have no idea about the first few bosses.

Yeah, I'm still at the second boss.

bigmac996

Played til 4 am last night, this game is something special. Only weird thing is an axe I got as my second weapon into the first mission after killing a revenant is still my most powerful weapon despite being level 3, and me being maybe 5 or 6 hours in with mostly level 15-16 gear. Axe break potential is no joke, you can demolish enemy's stamina and guard really quickly.

Also, the way the game remixes levels with new missions is incredible. It does so many things I feel Dark Souls should take note of.

eot

Banned
When you review the game your meant to review every single aspect of the game as a whole not just focus on one or two to make it fit with your clickbait lowest score, the few positive aspects only wrote like just a sentence or two but negatives has a bunch of paragraphs

I posted recepts right above you. If that's not enough alone then your just choosing to remain ignorant.
Also those sites saying low scores don't get more clicks are lying so they can continue to do so

Even if lower scores get more clicks (lol), so what? Does that mean reviewers can't give low scores? Does it mean every low score is clickbait? Do you think the reviewer looked at all the other scores before writing his own review?

Come on.
You're embarrassing yourself.

Ogawa-san

This is utterly unhelpful but man, I remember trashing Hino-enma so hard on the beta thread, almost as hard as she was trashing me ingame. Awful boss, the insta-paralysis attacks being bullshit, patterns making no sense, etc. A couple hours later I could go in there as a summon to help someone and read all of her attacks.

Patience and hit & run, keep at it.

bigmac996

I'm at the same spot. The one at the end of the second mission
that paralyzes you with her voice
? I got destroyed by her once and then decided to go to bed. Now I'm scared to face her again haha. I got some good damage on her with a fire talisman. Going to experiment with poison and other things.

AHA-Lambda

As i posted above the proof of clickbait which people said it wasn't. It is when it's getting the most clicks right now very fast and proof of their recent posted reviews of much bigger games and those got hardly any clicks because it's around the same review score and consensus as the other 100 reviews of those games.

Sure that's fair everyone got different opinions i know that, but when loads of reviews have the same consensus then out of nowhere one review didn't just score it lower but much more lower than the average that's very clickbait and if you read their review then read other people's review you see this clickbait review is very biased against it, receipts and everything all above.

No, no it's absolutely not.

The OT is gonna be hilarious with the second boss being the new Father Gascoigne. The reactions in this thread are an entertaining appetizer.

I've summoned five other players so far. Everyone died. No one is able to beat this boss....even together. I mean I guess they had to beat the boss once to help me but you can see that they also have no idea how to fight this piece of shit.

BigEmil

I've summoned five other players so far. Everyone died. No one is able to beat this boss....even together. I mean I guess they had to beat the boss once to help me but you can see that they also have no idea how to fight this piece of shit.
Maybe all the people who managed to get their copies early are ones who didn't play the Beta or didn't get to that bit

xviper

the 2nd demo was grindy as hell

the boss will crush you unless you grind for better equipment and level up, and that was a bit annoying

did they change that in the full game ?

Do we know if there are level restrictions for summoning co-op helpers? In terms of playing with friends, I'm hoping people don't need to try to stay within a level range for co-op.

N° 2048

The perfect Dark's post making me more excited.

The wait is brutal and my mail arrives @ like 3pm on Tuesday...fuuuuuu

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
the 2nd demo was grindy as hell

the boss will crush you unless you grind for better equipment and level up, and that was a bit annoying

did they change that in the full game ?

This is just wrong people beat those bosses without grinding at all. Gear and leveling are good to allow you to make more mistakes but if you don't make mistakes you don't need them.

Stream it. Entertain us. I wanna see what the problem is.

Pretty much everything is the problem in this boss fight

- stun lock with almost every attack (you can't move)
- boss heals himself during the fight
- attacks out of nowhere (you can't even see them coming or learn them)
- attacks that drain 100% of your stamina (you can't move)
- You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade)
- blocking is pretty much useless
- the boss is fast as fuck

It really is, I'm not joking, the worst boss fight I've ever played. I'd rather fight against Ornstein & Smough again.

edit: I don't think I'm going to play much longer, so no stream sry :/ Don't you get bannend for streaming it early ? :p

My review for Nioh. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. A great damn videogame. What a time for Japan to be coming back. Also I made my review completely spoiler free.
https://youtu.be/vasrqArBOB8

Did you get a review copy or just an early one?

- stun lock with almost every attack (you can't move) - What? Dodge?
- boss heals himself during the fight - If shes hits you with super telegraphed attack..... DODGE?
- attacks out of nowhere (you can't even see them coming or learn them) - Yes you can.
- attacks that drain 100% of your stamina (you can't move) - What? You mean yokai puddles? You ki pulse to get rid of them.... Or just dont stand in them.
- You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade) - Fucking dodge.
- blocking is pretty much useless - Seriously press X.
- the boss is fast as fuck - Your point?

That boss wasn't bad in the beta.

Isn't there a Ninjutsu that lets you make anti-paralysis charms?

Also, she's easy to dodge as she telegraphs her moves. I beat her with the slowest weapon (axe in high stance), so as long as you don't get greedy you can definitely take her out with whatever).

Her attacks don't come out of nowhere... are you not using the lock on feature?

Phloxy

A local store here provides me early copies to help out with my site and channels. I'm not big time. I probably never will be either. I stream an play just because I love it. Going live at my twitch.tv/namtox so if anybody has questions. I like to be methodical so come check it out.

As for the enemy variety, no, the amount of things you get and the gameplay and the way you go through the stages I honestly never really noticed until much later on. It is something to note, but it didn't break the game in anyway. At least for me anyways.

- You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade)

It really is, I'm not joking, the worst boss fight I've ever played. I'd rather fight against Ornstein & Smough again.

edit: I don't think I'm going to play much longer, so no stream sry :/ Don't you get bannend for streaming it early ? :p

No, you don't get banned. I wanna see if this is a case of git gud.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Sounds like a complete bullshit unfair fight

BRING IT ON
Edit: Oh, this is the vampire lady from the beta? I found her to be quite doable.

Jamiaro

I'd like to see as well.

For reference, how did you feel about Tachibana in the Last Chance Trial?

FeArTriX

This is my first time beating her back in the demo, not sure if it's going to help you or not though :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pJuIXb5OWA

I was way under leveled for her btw. I can show you a 15 min of me getting absolutely obliterated by her before I won.

Just don't give up on her

Ferr986

Seriously? Oh. Tachibana was pretty easy for me.

Then I don't think you'll have any problem with this boss. It was already in the 1st beta and it was easier. For example, when he says the boss heals up it's only with the grab attack, so pretty much you'll never see it heal. Same with stun, not every attack stun and the ones that does is more telegraphed.

- stun lock with almost every attack (you can't move) - What? Dodge?
- boss heals himself during the fight - If shes hits you with super telegraphed attack..... DODGE?
- attacks out of nowhere (you can't even see them coming or learn them) - Yes you can.
- attacks that drain 100% of your stamina (you can't move) - What? You mean yokai puddles? You ki pulse to get rid of them.... Or just dont stand in them.
- You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade) - Fucking dodge.
- blocking is pretty much useless - Seriously press X.
- the boss is fast as fuck - Your point?

Do you really think I'm not dodging? I mean I don't just stand there and wait for all her attacks. I'm constantly dodging but get hit anyways.

Yeah, "she regenerates life" is an alternative fact. If you are poorly positioned she can grab you and drain you. No need to ever be in that position.

Maybe try spear mid stance and poke her with triangle. That's how I beat her and that's how I'm playing the game mostly. Keeping enemies at the end of my lance works pretty well while I have a hard time fighting basically anything toe-to-toe with a sword or dual sword or whatever.

Tachibana
owned my ass yesterday because he closes the distance so easily which makes the spear a poor choice in that fight but I didn't have enough practice with other weapons. Took me a dozen tries or more to off him and then just narrowly. I was 1 hit away from dying. Most intense gaming experience I've had in a while.

And honestly, you'd make faster progress if you just admitted you are not good enough yet to beat her. Practice, study her patterns and don't spam attacks. She is predictable and everything she does is dodgeable. Her stun scream is easily avoidable by dodging to either side. If her Ki depletes and you stab her once on the ground, back off because that's when she stands up and tries to grab you. Right now you're looking for excuses why the boss is BS (when it's not) as opposed to working on your skill and studying her patterns.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do you really think I'm not dodging? I mean I don't just stand there and wait for all her attacks. I'm constantly dodging but get hit anyways.

If the enemy was that broken where they dodge and still get hit, nobody likely would have gotten past her so far

Top Bottom