• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Fistwell

1- stun lock with almost every attack (you can't move)
2 - boss heals himself during the fight
3 - attacks out of nowhere (you can't even see them coming or learn them)
4 - attacks that drain 100% of your stamina (you can't move)
5 - You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade)
6 - blocking is pretty much useless
7 - the boss is fast as fuck
Late as hell but whatever.

1 - don't get hit by the purple shit. She telegraphs it every time. Practice dodging. In the beta twilight, she'd summon goons, had to kill them off, sometimes while she was flying around and throwing her purple shit from off screen. Her screams allow you to time your dodge without even seeing her. Focusing on that aspect for a few fights should help you get a feel for it (treat them as practice). If you still get hit, just scavenge around for para res gear. But really, don't get hit.
2 - hit her more.
3 - she has very basic attack patterns, not many different moves, and they're all (I think, off the top of my head?) fairly clearly telegraphed. Pay attention to her and you'll be able to read her easily.
4 - don't get hit! Work with low stance, dodge away from her combos. Play more conservatively. Bait a combo, dodge away, run in as she finishes her combo, get your cple of hits in, bail out. Rinse, repeat. What equipment weight class are you? Are you heavy and slow? That would explain a lot.
5 - dodge. I don't remember that attack being particularly difficult to dodge.
6 - that's why you should dodge more. Don't stand next to her. Bait, step back, wait for opening, get your hits, bail.
7 - I just think you have an equipment weight problem. She's not particularly fast compared to your character's movement.

That probably doesnt help at all. Good luck anyways. :)

Yeah, "she regenerates life" is an alternative fact. If you are poorly positioned she can grab you and drain you. No need to ever be in that position.

Maybe try spear mid stance and poke her with triangle. That's how I beat her and that's how I'm playing the game mostly. Keeping enemies at the end of my lance works pretty well while I have a hard time fighting basically anything toe-to-toe with a sword or dual sword or whatever.

Tachibana
owned my ass yesterday because he closes the distance so easily which makes the spear a poor choice in that fight but I didn't have enough practice with other weapons. Took me a dozen tries or more to off him and then just narrowly. I was 1 hit away from dying. Most intense gaming experience I've had in a while.

And honestly, you'd make faster progress if you just admitted you are not good enough yet to beat her. Practice, study her patterns and don't spam attacks. She is predictable and everything she does is dodgeable. Her stun scream is easily avoidable by dodging to either side. If her Ki depletes and you stab her once on the ground, back off because that's when she stands up and tries to grab you.

The problem is I only have crappy spears. And I haven't put any points in spears.

Late as hell but whatever.

1 - don't get hit by the purple shit. She telegraphs it every time. Practice dodging. In the beta twilight, she'd summon goons, had to kill them off, sometimes while she was flying around and throwing her purple shit from off screen. Her screams allow you to time your dodge without even seeing her. Focusing on that aspect for a few fights should help you get a feel for it (treat them as practice). If you still get hit, just scavenge around for para res gear. But really, don't get hit.
2 - hit her more.
3 - she has very basic attack patterns, not many different moves, and they're all (I think, off the top of my head?) fairly clearly telegraphed. Pay attention to her and you'll be able to read her easily.
4 - don't get hit! Work with low stance, dodge away from her combos. Play more conservatively. Bait a combo, dodge away, run in as she finishes her combo, get your cple of hits in, bail out. Rinse, repeat. What equipment weight class are you? Are you heavy and slow? That would explain a lot.
5 - dodge. I don't remember that attack being particularly difficult to dodge.
6 - that's why you should dodge more. Don't stand next to her. Bait, step back, wait for opening, get your hits, bail.
7 - I just think you have an equipment weight problem. She's not particularly fast compared to your character's movement.

That probably doesnt help at all. Good luck anyways. :)

Thanks. Agility is B so not that bad to be honest. ...or is it? ^^

It would be one thing if it was a boss that nobody has dealt with, but it's Hino-Emma, the boss everyone styles on to show off cool shit.

Seriously, best advice I can give you is this- put a couple points into dexterity and grab the anti-paralysis pills. Maybe grab the thing that lets you put poison on your weapon too, so you can get some good DoT going on her.

Fistwell

Thanks. Agility is B so not that bad to be honest. ...or is it? ^^
Na I think B is normal, or what I rolled with anyways, should be fine. Then It's probably a case of better reading her moves, improving timing on dodges, timing hits at the end of her combos. Like others said, take a break, come back fresh, and pay attention to her. You'll learn to read her moves and crack her open in no time. If all fails, wait for more people here to have their copy and summon capable help. :)

Yeah, I'm still at the second boss.

Do you really think I'm not dodging? I mean I don't just stand there and wait for all her attacks. I'm constantly dodging but get hit anyways.

http://youtu.be/OCXa1ROvZig

I made a boss guide video against that boss you may find helpful. I explain things step by step, and its kind of derpy but I designed it to help those that are struggling. Its not meant to intimidate you because I use basic strategies that help you pick up on tells. Also, equip antiparalysis needles.

bigmac996

Do you really think I'm not dodging? I mean I don't just stand there and wait for all her attacks. I'm constantly dodging but get hit anyways.

Hey man I just beat her now after about 4 tries, and had elixirs to spare. She's really not as tough as you might think.

I realized the key (for me) was to first use a spear, the distance helps. Also, make sure to keep an eye on her stamina and ALWAYS use ki pulse to destroy the field around her so her stamina doesn't go back. When you see her stamina near empty, wail on her til she gets stunned and you can deal massive damage. Try baiting her simple combos and the grab move she does. I also used devigorate talismans, but not sure if that made a huge difference to her attack power.

Good luck man, and dont give up. Once you get the stamina thing it's waaaay easier. Before that I was dying almost instantly, barely getting a scratch on her.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just in case you don't know, the three DLCs have been revealed.

I imagine this set up would be like the three crowns dlc for DS2.
Yeah, I saw that when pre-ordering. Don't care too much for revealing DLCs that early, mind, but I mean, I know I'm going to buy those new missions regardless, so... why not.

do they have a pussy game mode (easy) for casuals ? I get so frustrated playing ninja Gaiden
Coop can be that.

As i posted above the proof of clickbait which people said it wasn't. It is when it's getting the most clicks right now very fast and proof of their recent posted reviews of much bigger games and those got hardly any clicks because it's around the same review score and consensus as the other 100 reviews of those games.
Sure that's fair everyone got different opinions i know that, but when loads of reviews have the same consensus then out of nowhere one review didn't just score it lower but much more lower than the average that's very clickbait and if you read their review then read other people's review you see this clickbait review is very biased against it, receipts and everything all above.
Dude you're embarrassing yourself, just stop. A dissenting opinion isn't clickbait.

Did you get a review copy or just an early one?

- stun lock with almost every attack (you can't move) - What? Dodge?
- boss heals himself during the fight - If shes hits you with super telegraphed attack..... DODGE?
- attacks out of nowhere (you can't even see them coming or learn them) - Yes you can.
- attacks that drain 100% of your stamina (you can't move) - What? You mean yokai puddles? You ki pulse to get rid of them.... Or just dont stand in them.
- You can't run away because the boss somehow always hits you with the flying attack (you have to evade) - Fucking dodge.
- blocking is pretty much useless - Seriously press X.
- the boss is fast as fuck - Your point?
lol, this made me laugh more than it should have

It's essentially a longer version of "git gud" :D

What does this even mean? That fight is amazing.
I agree, but I imagine they raged a lot at this boss because they found it too difficult or "cheap"...

Are you attacking while inside the energy pools, which prevent you from ki pulsing?
The yokai puddles? They don't prevent ki pulsing, they prevent regular ki regeneration. Ki pulsing inside those pools is actually what you have to do to dispell them.

(If you meant something else that wasn't in the demos that does prevent ki pulsing, though, then forget I said anything >.>)

Fistwell

Are you attacking while inside the energy pools, which prevent you from ki pulsing?
Not to be a smartass or pedantic (although I kinda am both), but I think they prevent stamina regeneration, not ki pulse. A perfect ki pulse dispels them. I guess, technically, non perfect ki pulses do become useless, you're right. Or did they switch up that stuff from the demos?

Edit: BEATEN (like perfect dark by hino-enma)

I had auto download up. But it doesn't say that is was downloaded in my 'download' tap. The app version of it hasn't appeared on my homepage. When I go to the store it just gives me the countdown.

Did it even download? Will I be able to play tomorrow night? Never had this happen with a preorder or preload.

Na I think B is normal, or what I rolled with anyways, should be fine. Then It's probably a case of better reading her moves, improving timing on dodges, timing hits at the end of her combos. Like others said, take a break, come back fresh, and pay attention to her. You'll learn to read her moves and crack her open in no time. If all fails, wait for more people here to have their copy and summon capable help. :)

I think I have an idea. I'm going to quit this mission, respec and use a spear. ^^

http://youtu.be/OCXa1ROvZig

I made a boss guide video against that boss you may find helpful. I explain things step by step, and its kind of derpy but I designed it to help those that are struggling. Its not meant to intimidate you because I use basic strategies that help you pick up on tells. Also, equip antiparalysis needles.

Thank you :)

Hey man I just beat her now after about 4 tries, and had elixirs to spare. She's really not as tough as you might think.

I realized the key (for me) was to first use a spear, the distance helps. Also, make sure to keep an eye on her stamina and ALWAYS use ki pulse to destroy the field around her so her stamina doesn't go back. When you see her stamina near empty, wail on her til she gets stunned and you can deal massive damage. Try baiting her simple combos and the grab move she does. I also used devigorate talismans, but not sure if that made a huge difference to her attack power.

Good luck man, and dont give up. Once you get the stamina thing it's waaaay easier. Before that I was dying almost instantly, barely getting a scratch on her.

That's what I'm going to do now :p

Not to be a smartass or pedantic (although I kinda am both), but I think they prevent stamina regeneration, not ki pulse. A perfect ki pulse dispels them. I guess, technically, non perfect ki pulses do become useless, you're right. Or did they switch up that stuff from the demos?

Man, I love the Ki pulse mechanic and limitation on it within the yokai zones.

I think it's a super smart risk/reward system that creates a fairly dynamic arena within the actual level itself depending on if your able to dispel the zones or not.

Fistwell

I think I have an idea. I'm going to quit this mission, respec and use a spear. ^^
Sounds like a plan, good luck. What weapon were you using? Katana?

Man, I love the Ki pulse mechanic and limitation on it within the yokai zones.

I think it's a super smart risk/reward system that creates a fairly dynamic arena within the actual level itself depending on if your able to dispel the zones or not.
Yeah, it's like gears' perfect reload thing, but with more to it. Together with stance changes, it's a lot to keep up with at first. But it's second nature pretty quick, and the system does add a lot to the gameplay imo. It's good fun. If slightly overwhelming initially.

Yeah I think you're right.

Yeah, I saw that when pre-ordering. Don't care too much for revealing DLCs that early, mind, but I mean, I know I'm going to buy those new missions regardless, so... why not.

Coop can be that.

Dude you're embarrassing yourself, just stop. A dissenting opinion isn't clickbait.

lol, this made me laugh more than it should have

It's essentially a longer version of "git gud" :D

I agree, but I imagine they raged a lot at this boss because they found it too difficult or "cheap"...

The yokai puddles? They don't prevent ki pulsing, they prevent regular ki regeneration. Ki pulsing inside those pools is actually what you have to do to dispell them.

(If you meant something else that wasn't in the demos that does prevent ki pulsing, though, then forget I said anything >.>)

These guys have it right.

To their credit, I didn't really like a single boss I faced in any of the previous demos either, and "too much health" was a constant complaint about the bosses here on GAF too, even from people who were liking the game.
"Too much health" being a common complaint doesn't matter much if it's objectively false. They're incredibly vulnerable if you whittle down their stamina (especially the demon based ones) and even with underpowered gear you can effectively take them down in 2 - 3 minutes if you play your cards right.

Now whether or not the final game consistently keeps them interesting with diverse move sets, that's still up in the air.

Ah thanks.

The second boss is the epitome of unfair game design.

Every damn hit stun locks you for seconds. Get hit? You die.

What a joke.
If you're talking about Hino-Enma (the succubus boss from the beta) then she's entirely fair. All of her attacks are heavily telegraphed, the stun projectiles can be dodged and the spin attack can be blocked / baited out from a set distance. You're kneejerk flustered.

slash3584

leveling-up in this mission would take me hours. I mean you can't even leave the mission (level). If you leave it you'll lose all your progress and you have to do everything again. It doesn't save the shrines or shortcuts.

Mmm I have not read much on this game, but how are these missions handled?

Is it like Demon Souls in which you keep your character progress after beating each level, or it is like more classic games where each level is its own thing and have to level in each one and if you quit the level you lose progress you made?

JPS Kai

On the fence about picking up a copy at launch just to make sure we have a review up.

It doesn't help that I'm still behind on reviewing DW: Godseekers and a few other smaller titles, so maybe waiting on Nioh may be for the best.

I'm loving the scores it's getting though!

Audioboxer

Everyone acting like they'll be walking this.

You will all be looking up YouTube on launch day for "Insanely OP Nioh build ~ works with launch day patch" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just encountered the boss you guys are talking about.

Took me 3-4 tries to beat her but I can definitely see the trouble with her.

Like people have been saying, dodging is key. Not saying you're not dodging but maybe your timing is slightly off which is why you keep getting caught?

Definitely have some elixirs. If you don't have many, equip the blessing which gives you a very slightly higher chance to get some when you kill enemies. May or may not help but its worth a shot. I think I went in with 4 elixirs.

I also had 2 Paralysis Charms equipped. That's tough to recommend since it depends on how lucky you get with drops but check out your inventory and see if you have any items that can help.

Currently, I'm level 29. If you feel like you're under leveled, take some time to run around the map and kill enemies. Grind a little.

My weapon of choice right now is the Nagi-Kusarigama. I forgot what stance I was using for the fight but I was always up close to the boss when attacking. Don't feel like you need to chain attacks all the time. For example, get 2 hits in then back off. Take your time and be patient.

Sounds like you just need to regroup. Grind for elixirs and better weapons. Make use of the blacksmith. Don't forget your Guardian! You can grind that out as well and have it at full bar for the fight.

Don't give up, man! You got this. A game like this definitely takes patience. I died about 20 times on the first boss, lol and I was beyond frustrated but you need to take things slow. Good luck!

Sounds like a plan, good luck. What weapon were you using? Katana?

Yeah, it's like gears' perfect reload thing, but with more to it. Together with stance changes, it's a lot to keep up with at first. But it's second nature pretty quick, and the system does add a lot to the gameplay imo. It's good fun. If slightly overwhelming initially.

Yep, katana.

Mmm I have not read much on this game, but how are these missions handled?

Is it like Demon Souls in which you keep your character progress after beating each level, or it is like more classic games where each level is its own thing and have to level in each one and if you quit the level you lose progress you made?

Exactly. But for whatever reason the game doesn't save your progress within the level so you have to open all shortcuts again and the not-respawning enemies will respawn. lol. I don't understand this design decision...

edit: @hispanicguy I'm level 21. Maybe I'm underleveled...I don't know :/ Thanks for the words, motivation rises :p

Fistwell

Everyone acting like they'll be walking this.

You will all be looking up YouTube on launch day for "Insanely OP Nioh build ~ works with launch day patch" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh I'll get my ass handed to me and enjoy every minutes of it. For a minute. Or two. Then I'll youtube "Insanely OP Nioh build." :)

Audioboxer

Oh I'll get my ass handed to me and enjoy every minutes of it. For a minute. Or two. Then I'll youtube "Insanely OP Nioh build." :)

Hour 0 for me and I ain't even hiding it! :p

#demonssoulsroyalatlaunch

I ain't even half bad at the Souls games, but I always like dem 'OP builds'.

BigEmil

Lit. Though as more expected since release is very close
x36LLRy.png
Just 3 days more till release

AzureFlame

been playing for 5 hours straight and still at 2nd stage, this game gonna consume your life, really addicting, challenging and fun, kinda giving me the same feeling when i played Demon's Souls for the 1st time.

N° 2048

been playing for 5 hours straight and still at 2nd stage, this game gonna consume your life, really addicting, challenging and fun, kinda giving me the same feeling when i played Demon's Souls for the 1st time.

This is one of those games, man. I know it. The Last Chance trial had me up until 3am in the fucking morning.

So good. Cannot wait.

It is, I used it for a small bit in the Last Chance Trial and regret not using it more. I will use it for sure in the full game. Sword + Spear for me.

Yeah, the katana was a mistake. It's nothing but trash. :p

No seriously, this bitch needs to see my new weapon....soon....time for revenge I guess.

With a spear and getting the patterns the 2nd boss is really easy.

Just be at distance and after a attack hit her 1 or 2 times in high stance. The rest is dodging.

Jamiaro

I will try to stream as soon as I start the mission again.. My internet speed isn't the best though so I hope it works.

edit: The twilight missions are hard as hell, lol.

Cool. :) You can propably post the Twitch-link here, I'll check regularly.

Twilights were the best part of the Beta!

Can you get Naginata in this? Otherwise, I'm sticking with either katana or dual katana; haven't made my mind up which...

The only weapons are the ones which were in the last beta.

It's especially nonsense since it releases on Tuesday in NA. Like wtf are these staggered releases in 2017. Even if it's just a day, it's annoying af.

I mean that single day, stopped me getting the game saturday ¬_¬. Hopefully my local store has stock tomorrow, otherwise its waking up at 5am on tuesday.

Trace

Banned
Seems like this game is going to bomb in Japan. Predictions have it opening under 40k. :[

The Japanese don't like difficult games anymore. The alpha stats that Team Ninja released for Nioh showed the Japanese massively under the rest of the world in terms of reception to this game.

Top Bottom