• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The Japanese don't like difficult games anymore. The alpha stats that Team Ninja released for Nioh showed the Japanese massively under the rest of the world in terms of reception to this game.

Is that why Bloodborne sold like 200k? Or why Dark Souls 3 sold about the same?

Because they don't like hard games? I think generalizations of that kind make no sense.

renzolama

The Japanese don't like difficult games anymore. The alpha stats that Team Ninja released for Nioh showed the Japanese massively under the rest of the world in terms of reception to this game.

I think they're all just busy playing 3DS games and FFIV

Edit: Also yeah, joking aside, I was going to mention that I'd gotten my ass kicked in souls games many times by Japanese players. Despite the fact that every publication spends half its review comparing Nioh to Dark Souls, I think that in gameplay it's much closer to Ninja Gaiden. Did those games (the classic ones, not NG3) do well in Japan?

Trace

Banned
Is that why Bloodborne sold like 200k? Or why Dark Souls 3 sold about the same?

Because they don't like hard games? I think generalizations of that kind make no sense

On one hand I'm massively generalizing here, but it's not really comparable between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, one has had 5(ish) in the series and is well regarded, and one is a new IP. Name recognition means a lot.

Inuhanyou

On one hand I'm massively generalizing here, but it's not really comparable between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, one has had 5(ish) in the series and is well regarded, and one is a new IP. Name recognition means a lot.

That has nothing to do with not liking hard games though.

The game is just not on the radar of a lot of people, even though its been creeping up online because of the metacritic scores and the Neogaf hype(yes japanese sites pay attention to this thread)

In Japan last week it was at like 15, then it went to 13, then 10, then it was at 8 and now its at 5 on Amazon

Trace

Banned
That has nothing to do with not liking hard games though.

The game is just not on the radar of a lot of people, even though its been creeping up online because of the metacritic scores.

In Japan last week it was at like 15, then it went to 13, then 10, then it was at 8 and now its at 5 on Amazon

To be clear I'm mostly referring to this. The asia region thought the game was far more difficult than the rest of the world.

Inuhanyou

To be clear I'm mostly referring to this. The asia region thought the game was far more difficult than the rest of the world.

That has to do with mechanics as well, the game was severely unbalanced at the time and had a few dumb control decisions that even many players of the Alpha in the west will tell you.

Now its actually in a good state because of that feedback specifically

Trace

Banned
That has to do with mechanics as well, the game was severely unbalanced at the time and had a few dumb control decisions that even many players of the Alpha in the west will tell you.

Now its actually in a good state because of that feedback specifically

I agree there were issues with the alpha, I beat it as well and it was much tougher than the game is currently. However I'm just talking about different regions response to the same alpha.

myco666

That doesn't say they think it is difficult though. Just that they thought difficulty and balance weren't that good which is what I thought about the alpha too. It was all over the place.

FrankWza

Im glad i redid my xb1 stick mod after getting my pro. I remember it being a godsend for bloodborne. Sounds like this game needs all tools possible.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Shit this game might bomb hard in Japan tan Berserk considering this game must have a higher budget, lmao.
You talk about budget so only consider Japan is hilarious.
And budget might from Sony, who publish it worldwide except Japan

Japan seems to have become an unreliable market for non-established franchises. Must be pretty terrifying developing a game that is so Japan-focussed in those circumstances.

renzolama

Japan seems to have become an unreliable market for non-established franchises. Must be pretty terrifying developing a game that is so Japan-focussed in those circumstances.

Is it really that Japan-focused? Or is it western-movie-Japan-focused?

Edit: western as in geography, not as in clint eastwood

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
It is not Japan focus,No pantsu
I watched a few Nier live streams, found that streamers "focus" on pantsu, it is Japan-focus.

MrTexor

i live in Chicago, so does anyone know what time the game will launch tomorrow if i buy it digital?

I'm on your same time zone (Texas) and the preload says that the game will be playable in 1 day 9 hours 39 minutes. In other words. 11 pm on Monday

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So the weapon type list goes like this?

Katanas
Spears
Axes
Kusarigamas
Bows
Rifles

Where are my tonfas and nunchakus? :(

Katana is the universal weapon, tbh. Got parries, kicks, iaijutsu, good damage. Absurdly versatile, moveset is easy to understand. Solid wep.

Plus for some reason single katana was the most common weapon drop for me in both the beta and lcs

Theres also dual kats and cannons, fwiw. Cannon differs from matchlock rifles

WolfTime

Banned
sorry if this is a stupid question

but i don't know much about digital.....does digital gaming have any problems compared to if you were to get it disc based? performance differences?

sorry if this is a stupid question

but i don't know much about digital.....does digital gaming have any problems compared to if you were to get it disc based? performance differences?
Digital usually loads faster if the disc version doesnt install to hd

Thats about it

Gbraga

"Too much health" being a common complaint doesn't matter much if it's objectively false. They're incredibly vulnerable if you whittle down their stamina (especially the demon based ones) and even with underpowered gear you can effectively take them down in 2 - 3 minutes if you play your cards right.

Now whether or not the final game consistently keeps them interesting with diverse move sets, that's still up in the air.

Sure, but people were crucifying the reviewer for saying something a lot of people were saying right here and no one was getting called out or anything.

Not to mention that the two things don't have to be mutually exclusive, a boss can have too much health and still go down very quickly against an experienced player. For example, the optional boss in The Old Hunters. He goes down in less than a minute in speedruns, but it's still a boss with a fuckton of HP.

Stream didin't work, sorry. I don't know why though, my internet connection was fine.

Managed to beat her in my second try with the spear, lol.

dat new weapon.

edit: I don't know what happened during that fight. Somehow I got lightning power instead of my fire power, lol.

Ferr986

Stream didin't work, sorry. I don't know why though, my internet connection was fine.

dat new weapon.

edit: I don't know what happened during that fight. Somehow I got lightning power instead of my fire power, lol.

Grats!!

dat new weapon.

Did you happen to switch your guardian spirit? Or, the spear you were using had lightning on it and the katana you were using before had fire on it.

Also, now that you've beat her once, I just know you'll be able to go back and destroy her with any weapon. It may seem weird, but once you beat a boss once, it somehow becomes super easy to beat them again and again.

IvorB

Okay I give up. I never gave up in any souls game but this shit is ridiculous. I'll wait and see if I can summon another player. Otherwise I'm selling it. I'm not wasting my time any longer. 35 tries and I'm not even close to win this fight. Fuck this.

Are you still on HE? When I fought her she schooled me for a while so I went to farm bloody graves, I leveled up a bit etc. When I came back it was much better. Surely there are other things you can do rather than banging your head against the same wall. You might need to think about what you can do to give yourself some advantage.

renzolama

Do you focus on two weapons or distribute everything evenly?

I want to use them all damnit.

I think most of the stat upgrades increase effectiveness for different weapon subsets rather than focusing on a single weapon. From what I played the real progression system is skill/knowledge rather than weapon stats, so I'm sure you could advance successfully with whatever stat priorities you wanted.

Fistwell

Are you still on HE? When I fought her she schooled me for a while so I went to farm bloody graves, I leveled up a bit etc. When I came back it was much better. Surely there are other things you can do rather than banging your head against the same wall. You might need to think about what you can do to give yourself some advantage.
He beat her on his second try with a spear.

Top Bottom