• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Jamiaro

You know... I might grab this.

DS3 really burnt me out on the "souls formula" that I basically ignored Nioh for a while after DS3 released.

But from what I am hearing the game is mission based and the loot system is akin to Diablo?

Because what burnt me out on souls was basically the world exploration, because for the most part asides from fashion souls, exploration felt tedious instead of rewarding (with the exception of finding shortcuts). So yeah... might grab this.

Grab it. Embrace it. The resemblence to DS is there, but you won't notice it after a while.

Greedings

Is there a website for planning builds? Had a loo but I couldn't find one.

Ideally something low-key so I can do it at work. No pictures of Geralt and Samurai women. Just numbers and stats.

Zaventem

Is there a website for planning builds? Had a loo but I couldn't find one.

Ideally something low-key so I can do it at work. No pictures of Geralt and Samurai women. Just numbers and stats.

don't really think it matters with the way respeccing works in this game.

sjay1994

You'll really enjoy the combat, much faster and intense than Dark Souls 3.

Similar to Bloodborne.

Well to me, some of the stuff in Nioh that I've seen looks more akin to combat Team Ninja was known for with Ninja Gaiden, or platinum even does... which is totally fine with me since I prefer character action to the souls based combat.

This game is 69.99€ in almost every place, PSN is 59.99€

Man, I really don't wanna spend 60€ on a digital download, but it seems like I have to..

Cyborg

Question(s): Never played a Nioh game.

Is this game more like dark souls or ninja gaiden?
How hard is the game dark souls or ninja gaiden difficulty?
How is the lore/story?

d00d3n

Will I like this game as a big Dark Souls fan who didn't especially like the Ninja Gaiden games? I read that it was level based, but are the levels filled with secret areas, optional paths and shortcuts?

How is the lore/story?

- i still think it's more DS than NG
- it's as hard as your first DS
- a mixture of historic Japanese figures and Japanese folklore

Can you respec however you want or is it limited like in DS?

The item is farmable and purchaseable

How is the lore/story?

It's Dark Souls, with single missions instead of a whole world, though the missions have shortcuts and such, It's faster than Bloodborne and you really need to stamina manage in this game, whereas in Bloodborne you had to health manage.

Loot system is like Diablo. Like, it's very much like Diablo and thats kinda great.

And it has actual skills, which is probably something out of Ninja Gaiden.

Gurish

I don't think Nioh feels like an AAA-title. I could imagine sequels with SoulsBorne-appeal, with bigger boss fights, with less copy-paste design and clever enemy encounters. Nioh does have potential. The combat mechanics are very unique and ideas like the different stances and the related skills are brilliant. I'd love to see a sequel with more variety and polishing. In terms of gameplay Nioh feels much more japanese than Souls and both franchises could co-exist perfectly.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I don't think Koei Tecmo will offer the budget for potential sequels to go en par with Souls. I can imagine Nioh will get the Musou-treatment and we'll get sequels without bigger changes. And then the Dark Souls 2 effect could kick in and we will play great games with a small feeling of disappointment.

But that's just me being pessimistic. I enjoy Nioh a lot. And right now I don't need any sequels. Nioh is a fantastic original game in its current state. I can't wait to discover all the game mechanics, the lore and I'm looking forward for PVP and coop material grinding. :D

You're right it's not a big AAA, you might call it AA if you want, but I don't understand why do you consider BB and the Souls series AAA, seems all of those games are on the same level more or less production wise.

BigEmil

You're right it's not a big AAA, you might call it AA if you want, but I don't understand why do you consider BB and the Souls series AAA, seems all of those games are on the same level more or less production wise.
Because the Souls games got cinematic 30fps graphics so it gets an extra A

AAA has got to be the most worthless tag in gaming. It basically says "this game looks expensive". Nioh would have crushed any game in 2016s GAF GotY elections.

I think Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have a much higher production value than Nioh. It's not just the graphics but all the environmental details, the level design, the asset variety, etc. But I love Nioh the same way I love Bloodborne and Dark Souls. :)

First PAL game I see with the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" logo back in the box.

Also no "Only on PS4" logo. Expect Nioh Sigma multi plattform.

No we won't.

Maybe they never updated the pages.

Maybe you are reading too much into nothing. You seem obsessed with the possibility of a port.

AAA has got to be the most worthless tag in gaming. It basically says "this game looks expensive". Nioh would have crushed any game in 2016s GAF GotY elections.

Probably not. Not as accessible. The same reason Bloodborne didnt beat The Witcher 3.

How long is this game for a somewhat experienced souls player. Just beat yakuza and want to play a game that will take me to Nier but not over.

How long is this game for a somewhat experienced souls player. Just beat yakuza and want to play a game that will take me to Nier but not over.

40 to 70 hours. Hell maybe 100 hours according to IGN if want to master it. I don't think being an experienced Souls player is going to be a major asset for this game.

40 to 70 hours. Hell maybe 100 hours according to IGN if want to master it. I don't think bring an experienced Souls player is going to be a major asset for this game.

That's fine. Just thought to mention souls because I haven't been following this game at all other than early comments about it being soul like. Seems pretty long all things considered.

It is a Souls like game. The patience and attitude you cultivated while playing Souls absolutely helps, the mechanical skill doesn't transfer over though.

Makikou

Any good LP'ers already started Nioh? Kinda off-topic but just wanting to know. Never watched any DS/Bloodborne LP's so I dont know any good players :>

Guymelef

No we won't.

Maybe you are reading too much into nothing. You seem obsessed with the possibility of a port.

Probably not. Not as accessible. The same reason Bloodborne didnt beat The Witcher 3.

?

My first reply was about no logo,
Second was about Sony not updating the page with them as publishers.
Where is the obsesion?

Shari

?

My first reply was about no logo,
Second was about Sony not updating the page with them as publishers.
Where is the obsesion?

Don't mind him, he thinks you're shooting against Sony and stealth port begging. He clearly has no clue of what side you're on lol.

It's so cute when the system wars make people rage at people on the same side.

Top Bottom