• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

FrankWza

Yeah it's worth the view, there are also supernatural elements in there so it fits the criteria that OP was looking for.

Thanks. Ill watch it tomorrow while i wait for my copy to ve delivered. Ive watched most of kurosawas movies at least once. Always wanted to see chushingura too but ive never searched out a copy.

Are there more elabored quests than those you cited?

Some side quests have nice unique encounters like the one in the last chance demo. Mostly it's fighting dudes you already know in greater numbers. Usually the side quests are very short and have nice rewards though.

Hedrush

Dude, I know what thread I'm in, and I've already read several of the reviews. I was just curious to hear impressions from folks on GAF who were playing the game, that's all.

Hence why I said go to page 1. There has been guys playing it for a few days now.

Philippo

Some side quests have nice unique encounters like the one in the last chance demo. Mostly it's fighting dudes you already know in greater numbers. Usually the side quests are very short and have nice rewards though.

That's okay-ish i guess.
Are there cutscenes in this side content or only in the main mission (and as a side question: is the main campaign cutscene heavy? Or like MGSV?)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Why everyone hate "NiohGAF" LOL

Cause it reeks of a community masturbating to themselves, let's celebrate the game with the ot. Let that be the star.

Edit: To be srs for a moment I don't care that much but it's fun to facilitate a little drama :-x

Yeah, this is Demon's Souls in Japan. There are even
traps
now :D
Enemy variety is lacking so far but it doesn't bother me. The combat system is so much fun.
And the level design is very clever. It's not a simple souls clone like Lords of the Fallen. I don't know how they did it but this feels like a souls game to me. Maybe it's just me though.

That's okay-ish i guess.
Are there cutscenes in this side content or only in the main mission (and as a side question: is the main campaign cutscene heavy? Or like MGSV?)

Sometimes there is an 'ending screen' for a side mission and a short dialogue. But you won't play the optional content for the story I guess..

Main missions on the other hand do have cutscenes at the beginning or before and/or after a boss fight. But the game is very gameplay heavy. It's just more than you would expect from a Souls-like.

I'm 30h in and I love it. I've written a review for a german blog and praised it with 10/10. Nioh isn't as polished as the From games but the combat mechanics are very deep and the setting is refreshing. There is a lot of recycling but this gives room to experiment with different builds and skills. Definitely a must-have for sunbros and hunters.

(Sorry for my English :D )

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sometimes there is an 'ending screen' for a side mission and a short dialogue. But you won't play the optional content for the story I guess..

Main missions on the other hand do have cutscenes at the beginning or before and/or after a boss fight. But the game is very gameplay heavy. It's just more than you would expect from a Souls-like.

I'm 30h in and I love it. I've written a review for a german blog and praised it with 10/10. Nioh isn't as polished as the From games but the combat mechanics are very deep and the setting is refreshing. There is a lot of recycling but this gives room to experiment with different builds and skills. Definitely a must-have for sunbros and hunters.

(Sorry for my English :D )

Do you think the game has potential for a sequel to expand on and fix some of the smaller issues you see in the game?(not story wise, i dont want any spoilers...)

Do you think that this could be turned into a franchise of far superior titles with the base established here?

Do you think that this could be turned into a franchise of far superior titles with the base established here?

Unless sales are total garbage, it'll definitely become a franchise. Team Ninja has been floundering for a while now, this is their first game in ages that's really come together. Again, very similar to From's situation pre-Souls.

Plus, this took over a decade to make. No way are they just going to get one game out of this template. I expect another one of these by 2019, easily.

Do you think the game has potential for a sequel to expand on and fix some of the smaller issues you see in the game?(not story wise, i dont want any spoilers...)

I don't think Nioh feels like an AAA-title. I could imagine sequels with SoulsBorne-appeal, with bigger boss fights, with less copy-paste design and clever enemy encounters. Nioh does have potential. The combat mechanics are very unique and ideas like the different stances and the related skills are brilliant. I'd love to see a sequel with more variety and polishing. In terms of gameplay Nioh feels much more japanese than Souls and both franchises could co-exist perfectly.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I don't think Koei Tecmo will offer the budget for potential sequels to go en par with Souls. I can imagine Nioh will get the Musou-treatment and we'll get sequels without bigger changes. And then the Dark Souls 2 effect could kick in and we will play great games with a small feeling of disappointment.

But that's just me being pessimistic. I enjoy Nioh a lot. And right now I don't need any sequels. Nioh is a fantastic original game in its current state. I can't wait to discover all the game mechanics, the lore and I'm looking forward for PVP and coop material grinding. :D

I don't think Nioh feels like an AAA-title. I could imagine sequels with SoulsBorne-appeal, with bigger boss fights, with less copy-paste design and clever enemy encounters. Nioh does have potential. The combat mechanics are very unique and ideas like the different stances and the related skills are brilliant. I'd love to see a sequel with more variety and polishing. In terms of gameplay Nioh feels much more japanese than Souls and both franchises could co-exist perfectly.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I don't think Koei Tecmo will offer the budget for potential sequels to go en par with Souls. I can imagine Nioh will get the Musou-treatment and we'll get sequels without bigger changes. And then the Dark Souls 2 effect could kick in and we will play great games with a small feeling of disappointment.

But that's just me being pessimistic. I enjoy Nioh a lot. And right now I don't need any sequels. Nioh is a fantastic original game in its current state. I can't wait to discover all the game mechanics, the lore and I'm looking forward for PVP and coop material grinding. :D

To be honest I don't think Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1-3 feel like AAA titles.

But yeah, if this game doesn't sell..there's no hope for a great sequel I think.
The lore and story though...I don't like it so far. I miss NPC's.
But that's only a small complaint.. the gameplay itself is so good that I don't care.

I'm a bit worried about the PvP they'll introduced at a later stage. Some of the cool moves we can do in this game only works because we're fighting AIs. Against another player it could potentially be 'broken' or easily circumvented and then the developers might be forced to balance it.

Ideally keep PvP as a separate mode with its parameters balanced for that. Leave all the cool stuff untouched in the main game.

cheesekao

Unless sales are total garbage, it'll definitely become a franchise. Team Ninja has been floundering for a while now, this is their first game in ages that's really come together. Again, very similar to From's situation pre-Souls.

Plus, this took over a decade to make. No way are they just going to get one game out of this template. I expect another one of these by 2019, easily.
The game was put in the backburner when things didn't pan out and the current version of Nioh we have was only in full development in 2012.

Inuhanyou

To be honest I don't think Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1-3 feel like AAA titles.

But yeah, if this game doesn't sell..there's no hope for a great sequel I think.
The lore and story though...I don't like it so far. I miss NPC's.
But that's only a small complaint.. the gameplay itself is so good that I don't care.

Demon's Souls maybe not, but BB, and Dark Souls trilogy are def AAA

Get'sMad

anyone elses Amazon pre-order yet to charge your card or ship yet? all told me it was shipping Friday to "shipping soon." now I'm all worried because the last time I did a pre-order for a day of release delivery was bloodborne and I didn't get it until like a day or 2 after release.

tl;dr the thirst is real.

Inuhanyou

i hope we get some new reviews to bump up the meta, i want to see how far this train goes

SaiyanRaoh

anyone elses Amazon pre-order yet to charge your card or ship yet? all told me it was shipping Friday to "shipping soon." now I'm all worried because the last time I did a pre-order for a day of release delivery was bloodborne and I didn't get it until like a day or 2 after release.

tl;dr the thirst is real.

Maybe was charged an hour ago. Hopefully the thing ships or I'm demanding overnight shipping tomorrow. I'm tired of getting games after release day.

From what I've read, the co-op in Nioh sounds fantastic. Instead of just visiting others as a shadow, we actually tackle a mission side by side from the start, and everyone can gather all the experience and loot they amass in the mission.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Only 27 reviews on metacritic....uhhhhhhhhh

From what I've read, the co-op in Nioh sounds fantastic. Instead of just visiting others as a shadow, we actually tackle a mission side by side from the start, and everyone can gather all the experience and loot they amass in the mission.

Well we can do both lol, Souls style random summon is still an option.

Zesh

All of these positive impressions and reviews are getting me hyped; I have a massive backlog, but I'm just thinking about this game. Still have two work days before I can start playing this...

Karu

Want to play this, but... Yakuza 0, still only 15 hours in and don't wanna rush it. Might just put it on hold to be part of the discussion for Nioh.

So I like fast paced action games like Ninja Gaiden, but I find the perfect-timing-or-die approach of Souls game to be too punishing and not so fun. Is this game for me? It's really hard for me to figure out atm.

So I like fast paced action games like Ninja Gaiden, but I find the perfect-timing-or-die approach of Souls game to be too punishing and not so fun. Is this game for me? It's really hard for me to figure out atm.

Nioh needs even more perfect-timing-or-die approach than Souls. At least that's according to my experience with the duel in the last demo.

deoee

So EU store page says game is playable in 1 day and 17h.

But release is the 7th, so in 17h?

Are there different release times?

Jimrpg

Just preordered this... but still a 3 week wait probably till I get my copy delivered.

I probably should give up physical.

Good to see the reviews and positive impressions. Even though I'm not amazing at Souls-type games, I still love them.

Based Best Buy shipping my copy Friday and it arriving a day early on Monday. Aw yeah.

My copy has shipped, can't wait!

So katana/spear is the consensus way to go? I definitely enjoyed using those two the most in the alpha/beta/last chance.

Ernest

Banned
I'm glad the game turned out great and that it's a blast. I'll be buying it, but my only reprehension is that the environments look so bland and lifeless.

Top Bottom