• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IGN final review is out.

tumblr_njzax6s9jZ1rm9u2oo1_500.gif

Inuhanyou

It's now 88 at Opencritic.

Its been at 88 since yesterday. We have to wait until Opencritic and meta actually add the reviews that have come out like to see a difference

Opencritic still has IGN's in progress score of 90, and meta has not even tallied IGN's score as counted yet.

Aesthet1c

Does anyone know if there are better weapons than purple (epic I guess). Like does this game have unique weapons similar to Diablo's legendaries?

Does anyone know if their are better weapons than purple (epic I guess). Like does this game have unique weapons similar to Diablo's legendaries?

There is:

Common = White
Uncommon = Yellow
Rare = Turquoise
One of a Kind = Purple
Divine = Green (which is only accessible after beating the last boss)

Edit: beaten.

Inuhanyou

i wish the color scheme of the loot was different. Gold(or yellow) should be the last tier unlocked by beating the game...or white.

What's the significance of green??

Does anyone know if there are better weapons than purple (epic I guess). Like does this game have unique weapons similar to Diablo's legendaries?

Yes. There are Uniques, of differing rarities. Raiken, for instance, may be found as a Yellow, Blue, or Purple. Purple Raiken are superior, of course, with more randomly generated stats, higher propensity for damage (with more Familiarity breakpoints).

There are certainly some uniques, and you know them by stats that aren't changeable, if the beta is anything to go by.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
i wish the color scheme of the loot was different. Gold(or yellow) should be the last tier unlocked by beating the game...or white.

What's the significance of green??

Green like stamina green which is Ki which is actually blue.
Divine green makes perfect sense.
:-x

Don't mind him, he thinks you're shooting against Sony and stealth port begging. He clearly has no clue of what side you're on lol.

It's so cute when the system wars make people rage at people on the same side.

Wrong. I have a pretty good idea of where most regular's interests lie including the person I quoted.

ps3ud0

Anyone know if they made the currency more useful in the full game? TBH I havent looked at stuff like the blacksmith etc so perhaps thats where its made use of. Havent got a clue about how the weapon forging works in Nioh and how useful/game-breaking it could be...

ps3ud0 8)

Carcetti

Anyone know if they made the currency more useful in the full game? TBH I havent looked at stuff like the blacksmith etc so perhaps thats where its made use of. Havent got a clue about how the weapon forging works in Nioh and how useful/game-breaking it could be...

ps3ud0 8)

Reforging/Soul Matching is very useful and insanely expensive in some cases.

Inuhanyou

So considering the extremely high review scores and no mention of low enemy variety in basically any of them, it seems there really is a huge variety of different enemies and the game doesn't become repetitive? Guess the final game looks way better than the beta too, as the last trial beta looked quite bad visually. Hearing that areas are varied and all look fantastic.

I've heard nitpicks about enemy variety being smaller than a souls game. But considering it hasn't turned into a big issue many people have focused on as a huge negative, we can assume its not enough of an issue to harm the full game even if its there.

Apparently the variety of the bosses(over 30 apparently) stops things from getting stale regardless

Inuhanyou

Ah, that's good to hear. I'm still gonna wait and see what player impressions will be a while from now and get it on sale, but my interest is back up again.
That being said, I'm somewhat frequently hearing that lore/story in the game are weak (here in this thread as well), yet I see reviews like SegmentNext give it incredibly high scores for its story aspect. I do hope it turns out to be ok.

I've said it before, while i have no context, my guess is that the story can get pretty crazy and insane , where certain people not used to that style will have the 'turn your brain off' mentality about it.

As for the lore, yeah, the lore by default is going to be weaker than Souls games because this is based on the real world. So sengoku era Japan with mystical stuff happening, and the set up for the story is really all there is to go on.

While i enjoyed the snippets of lore in the Last Chance demo on how the yokai slowly encroached on the village and took it over and the Ogress being born from the depression of a noble woman who lost her son to war, if your looking for more dark souls ish world building, its probably impossible due to how the Souls games are not actually based on real world places or fiction, so are kind of fully built on being able to release info as they please to keep the player guessing

BigEmil

Damn looks like gonna have to wait till tomorrow morning for my copy to arrive. If it's still not here by then gotta hit up Amazon chat service

I've been meaning to write up a proper impressions/review post after spending about 10 hours total in it over the weekend, but man, the game had me absolutely glued to it to the point I actively considered how writing a post about it would take time away from playing it and said nah.

To any prospective buyer who feels discouraged by Polygon's article/review (for whatever reason but anyway), there's no diplomatic way of saying it but they're full of shit and whoever is playing it for them is refusing to learn the very transparently-explained systems. I don't know if they just refuse to acknowledge that this isn't Souls and just learn the damn ACTUAL game at hand or what? This game literally revels in giving you information, teaching you shit in its Dojo training missions, explaining its systems and rewarding you for all of it with a giant pat on the head each time.

I already said it but it really feels like Team Ninja packed absolutely every.fucking.thing, every great idea, every spec of fun they could come up with into this game.

It certainly IS tough-as-nails and it'll make you bend to its rules but if you're spending an exorbitant amount of time on an enemy or boss, switch up your strategy and read through the myriad of available moves, tools, spells etc. to see if any of it can benefit you. For example, I've seen people get really frustrated by the
Nino-Enma
boss's paralysis move. There's a type of Onmyou spell basically available whenever you please (it's cheap) that lets you ready 3 pills that completely negate her paralysis for a decent amount of time. Put it on a hot button and pop them throughout the fight. There are items and strategies to deal with basically any situation for what seems to be pretty much any play style.

Back to actually playing the game now.

Carcetti

For example, I've seen people get really frustrated by the
Nino-Enma
boss's paralysis move. There's a type of Onmyou spell basically available whenever you please (it's cheap) that lets you ready 3 pills that completely negate her paralysis for a decent amount of time. Put it on a hot button and pop them throughout the fight. There are items and strategies to deal with basically any situation for what seems to be pretty much any play style.

Back to actually playing the game now.

Not to mention it's a basic git gud move. Incredibly well telegraphed and you can just use a single sidestep while rotating to side to avoid every hit. Basic Souls stuff.

Not to mention it's a basic git gud move. Incredibly well telegraphed and you can just use a single sidestep while rotating to side to avoid every hit. Basic Souls stuff.

I agree it can quite easily be side-stepped but just thought it was a good example especially if you're nervous and want to be sure. I originally was baffled that 'she can get away with that' in the Beta haha...I mean the paralysis part. I sifted through the skill trees and realized all the tools you could ever need for status effects are right there and fairly cheap.

My overall point was simply that I think the devs packed so many teaching devices and helpful tools into this game in a very intelligent fashion that I believe anyone bashing their head against a boss wall or whatever can solve their problem by digging around in skill trees, Dojo training missions and so on and find something to benefit them. I get the feeling that they're really into making sure you check out all the cool shit they came up with if that makes sense.

ps3ud0

Reforging/Soul Matching is very useful and insanely expensive in some cases.
Cheers - didnt have time with the second demo and the third was over so quickly that I didnt have a real chance to look into it. Just looking forward to making some unique weapons with perfect feature sets...

ps3ud0 8)

Carcetti

I agree it can quite easily be side-stepped but just thought it was a good example especially if you're nervous and want to be sure. I originally was baffled that 'she can get away with that' in the Beta haha...I mean the paralysis part. I sifted through the skill trees and realized all the tools you could ever need for status effects are right there and fairly cheap.

Exactly. I equipped the ninja pills too but on the try I killer her I didn't even have to use them because I'd gotten used to movement.

Mupod

My overall point was simply that I think the devs packed so many teaching devices and helpful tools into this game in a very intelligent fashion that I believe anyone bashing their head against a boss wall or whatever can solve their problem by digging around in skill trees, Dojo training missions and so on and find something to benefit them. I get the feeling that they're really into making sure you check out all the cool shit they came up with if that makes sense.

my issue with the last chance trial bosses was that some of their moves required knowledge of their weird hitboxes that only came with practice. Dodging the Ogress' claw flurry attack required dodging forward INTO her which is illogical. Likewise with Muneshige's running draw attack, the only way to avoid it is to dodge straight forward into it. I'm hoping this isn't a running problem with Nioh bosses, it's something you can work around but it's also something that's more annoying when you're trying to progress in a long game than it is when all you have is 3 levels in a beta demo.

Top Bottom