• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Jimrpg

You live in Alaska bro?
I'm just waiting on it to unlock got that digital deluxe edition

Further.

Rural Malaysia. Takes a week to get to Malaysia and another 1 week and a half while it sits on a truck delivered to where I am. Getting it couriered cuts down the time but not worth 4x the cost.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Yakuza 0! Any day now...

Fistwell

I liked niohgaf (and I rly don't like gaf all that much in general). Stamina is ki is boring. Niohgaf sounds funny, rolls off the tongue. Winner. Come on. Praise the rising sun was already used. In a beta thread. Not. Anyways, niohgaf! NiohGAF! Come one! Come! On!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why everyone hate "NiohGAF" LOL
I don't know, I like it. It's a piss-easy pun to make but I like cheesy puns. Stamina is Ki is much better though. Maybe for OT2? :p

I don't think Nioh feels like an AAA-title.
I agree. It's far superior. :)

Nioh is like AA, that sweet spot between high production values and a clear level of polish, but not so much that all the budget and focus is on those at the expense of gameplay (like 99% of AAA games out there). Best of both worlds, really.

I want more games like that.

not everyone is as skilled as you Kaz
Polygon took 8 hours to unlock the mission selection screen, give them time.
LOL ouch

Hypron

So I preordered the digital deluxe version this morning - it's all preloaded now. I probably won't be able to play the game much (<1 hour/day) but I'm looking forward to it.

Exuro

welp I bought it after going through the thread and talking to a friend about it. Totally wasn't planning to do it but that along with the prime saving and preorder bonus stuff I decided why not.

cheesekao

Further.

Rural Malaysia. Takes a week to get to Malaysia and another 1 week and a half while it sits on a truck delivered to where I am. Getting it couriered cuts down the time but not worth 4x the cost.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Yakuza 0! Any day now...
Why not just buy it locally?

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I remember that Polygon reviewer said their review would come today, let' see

Want to play this, but... Yakuza 0, still only 15 hours in and don't wanna rush it. Might just put it on hold to be part of the discussion for Nioh.

I feel you. Had the same issue and kinda rushed Yakuza. Bis mistake, as good as Nioh is (it's really good), you'll ruin your Yakuza 0 experience if you rush it.
I also believe Y0 isn't a game that's easy to jump into after a while, so take your time and enjoy Kamarucho/Sotenbori

anyone elses Amazon pre-order yet to charge your card or ship yet? all told me it was shipping Friday to "shipping soon." now I'm all worried because the last time I did a pre-order for a day of release delivery was bloodborne and I didn't get it until like a day or 2 after release.

tl;dr the thirst is real.

Mine shipped yesterday.

Freeman76

I liked niohgaf (and I rly don't like gaf all that much in general). Stamina is ki is boring. Niohgaf sounds funny, rolls off the tongue. Winner. Come on. Praise the rising sun was already used. In a beta thread. Not. Anyways, niohgaf! NiohGAF! Come one! Come! On!

Haha. The fact that so many people are upset by a joke OT suggestion shows the average mentality of Gaffers in this thread, thats the way I see it anyway.

Mezoly

Is the game sold out on BestBuy.com? it's not giving me the option to buy it online or pick it up at store. All it says is coming soon. I can Pre-order other games.

MKIL65

Ahh, my account got just got activated today... Right before Nioh's release!

Wonder what weapon I should go with, Kusarigama or Spear.

MKIL65

Why not both? In terms of stats they compliment each other, in terms of function they cover each other's weakness.

Yeah, might be good to switch between them.

I had fun doing high stance with regular Katana in the Latest demo, but I feel some ranged weaponry would be more ideal. Not every boss is gonna be as easy as Ogress...

Guymelef

First PAL game I see with the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" logo back in the box.

Also no "Only on PS4" logo. Expect Nioh Sigma multi plattform.

mkvl

Neo Member
I'm really on the fence about buying this game. The Soul series and BB are among my favourite games but I never could get really into Ninja Gaiden's combat :( I wished I had tried the betas.

Yeah, might be good to switch between them.

I had fun doing high stance with regular Katana in the Latest demo, but I feel some ranged weaponry would be more ideal. Not every boss is gonna be as easy as Ogress...

You can make a Hattori Hanzo build.

Dex+Skill+Body scales with Kusarigama
Skill+Body let's you wear light armor
Skill+ Body scales with Spear
Dex gives you ninjutsu abilities

Hanzo was known for his spearmenship

Nothus

I'm really on the fence about buying this game. The Soul series and BB are among my favourite games but I never could get really into Ninja Gaiden's combat :( I wished I had tried the betas.

I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game before, but love the Soul series and Bloodborne.
This game is amazing and the combat is freaking awesome, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BigEmil

I don't think Nioh feels like an AAA-title. I could imagine sequels with SoulsBorne-appeal, with bigger boss fights, with less copy-paste design and clever enemy encounters. Nioh does have potential. The combat mechanics are very unique and ideas like the different stances and the related skills are brilliant. I'd love to see a sequel with more variety and polishing. In terms of gameplay Nioh feels much more japanese than Souls and both franchises could co-exist perfectly.

Personally, I'm sceptical. I don't think Koei Tecmo will offer the budget for potential sequels to go en par with Souls. I can imagine Nioh will get the Musou-treatment and we'll get sequels without bigger changes. And then the Dark Souls 2 effect could kick in and we will play great games with a small feeling of disappointment.

But that's just me being pessimistic. I enjoy Nioh a lot. And right now I don't need any sequels. Nioh is a fantastic original game in its current state. I can't wait to discover all the game mechanics, the lore and I'm looking forward for PVP and coop material grinding. :D
Nioh has more content than many "AAA" titles and what doesn't make Nioh AAA? No cinematic 30fps graphics perhaps?
Watched a couple of Cowboy's videos and holy shit, this game's brutal. A lot of Souls fans who think they know it all are gonna get salty..
Lol

Greedings

I'm the same, except I tried the latest beta and loved it. It's a lot more involved than souls. The combat is a lot more difficult as you have to keep track of multiple things. It makes it much more rewarding when you do it though.

It also brings back the feeling of playing Demon's Souls for the first time. You die to trash enemies constantly.

Milijango

Nioh has more content than many "AAA" titles and what doesn't make Nioh AAA? No cinematic 30fps graphics perhaps?

Whether a game is considered AAA has nothing to do with the quantity of content, and the post you're replying to never implied that Nioh didn't have enough of it.

Is Playstation Access still the only professional site with an extended video of the final game? Trying to build up some good stuff to watch after I've started the game to avoid spoilers.

Also, any spoilers in the IGN video review?

sjay1994

You know... I might grab this.

DS3 really burnt me out on the "souls formula" that I basically ignored Nioh for a while after DS3 released.

But from what I am hearing the game is mission based and the loot system is akin to Diablo?

Because what burnt me out on souls was basically the world exploration, because for the most part asides from fashion souls, exploration felt tedious instead of rewarding (with the exception of finding shortcuts). So yeah... might grab this.

Top Bottom