• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So how hard/punishing is this game compared to Souls?
Almost same level give or take. As long as you're observant, patient, and have the ability to learn from mistakes you'll be more than fine. But it feels a million times better to play than all soul games combined. The combat in this game is truly special.

ACE 1991

Almost same level give or take. As long as you're observant, patient, and have the ability to learn from mistakes you'll be more than fine. But it feels a million times better to play than all soul games combined. The combat in this game is truly special.

Yeah, that's what is drawing me to it as well as the loot system. Thanks. Hmmmm....

From software should really look into optimizing their next game for a 60 fps mode on console. Nioh was a joy to play in 60 fps makes the combat feel super fluid. Dark souls in console always feel clunky and unresponsive with clear input delays. Thus artificially boosting difficulty.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah, that's what is drawing me to it as well as the loot system. Thanks. Hmmmm....
The loot system is pretty deep and amazing with all sorts of unique items with special game enhancing properties as well as tons of unique weapons/armors. Different game modes/side quests as well. Coop is also godlike in this game and very very satisfying to play with a friend, which is a huge plus in a game like this. I'd recommend giving it a fair shake(7+hours) and see if it clicks for you. Be warned though, IF it clicks, goodbye free time. Hours will pass by like seconds.

komorebi

From software should really look into optimizing their next game for a 60 fps mode on console. Nioh was a joy to play in 60 fps makes the combat feel super fluid. Dark souls in console always feel clunky and unresponsive with clear input delays. Thus artificially boosting difficulty.

I don't know, I struggled like hell to play DS2 and DS3 at 60fps. My muscle memory hinges on those input delays at this point haha

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

But then people would complain that the graphics and art deco look as bad as Nioh and you likely would not get the open world that comes with Souls games at this point.

To begin with, i think From should get their 30fps mode right first, with drops, framepacing, who knows what else taking the sheen off their presentation.

Even at 30fps Nioh feels much better to play than console Souls games cause there are rarely any drops, no framepacing and the input lag is minimal

Enzo88

I am really happy that, between this and odyssey, 3d plaftorms seem to be on their way back...but it`s just me or the running animation in YL seems kinda "floaty"?

Inuhanyou

Is it shameful to admit that I've been playing Movie mode (base PS4) after trying Action mode for only about 20 minutes :/

No? Its a good mode. Unless you just prefer 60fps to 30, there are no disadvantages to movie mode, as there are no performance issues generally speaking, and gives a good res boost.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
my issue with the last chance trial bosses was that some of their moves required knowledge of their weird hitboxes that only came with practice. Dodging the Ogress' claw flurry attack required dodging forward INTO her which is illogical. Likewise with Muneshige's running draw attack, the only way to avoid it is to dodge straight forward into it. I'm hoping this isn't a running problem with Nioh bosses, it's something you can work around but it's also something that's more annoying when you're trying to progress in a long game than it is when all you have is 3 levels in a beta demo.

Many bosses in the Souls games require you to dodge into them, Bloodborne especially. It's hardly an unheard of tactic and is found in a bunch of action heavy games of this nature. Not sure why this is a big complaint nor is having to learn how to dodge attacks. That is a big part of a good boss is learning their tells, the proper counter or reaction and so on.

KaoteK

Well, after being burnt by No Man's Sky, I swore I'd never preorder again but the across the board praise for this game (especially Jim's glowing review) has seen me make an exception. Already preloaded and awaiting the unlock. I'm very much looking forward to digging into this.

No? Its a good mode. Unless you just prefer 60fps to 30, there are no disadvantages to movie mode, as there are no performance issues generally speaking, and gives a good res boost.

Very much so on the PS4 Pro.
Not as much on base PS4 since resolution.

Nope, play whatever mode is the best for you

I was being a bit cheeky there but I know 60 FPS is a big deal to many but I realized it just doesn't particularly do anything for me when putting it this side-by-side in Nioh. It seemed to look nicer in Movie mode so it seemed the obvious choice.

I took some really nice screen caps yesterday actually, gotta show them here sometime. The Ninja set looks really cool.

Jonboy

Love the Souls series, but wasn't feeling the demo here. The combat seems overwhelming at first.

How hard is it to learn and manage the different stances?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Love the Souls series, but wasn't feeling the demo here. The combat seems overwhelming at first.

Varies from person to person but my guess:
Get the hang of stances: 1-3 hours
Get comfortable with stances: 2-6 hours
Mastery of stances: 13+ hours

Inuhanyou

It takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a while you'll be switching stances, and switching weapon types on the fly. It makes you feel like a badass adapting to situations on the micro level, going from heavy weapon like hammer, and high stance to break enemies guard, to low stance and dual katana to rip up the exposed underbelly quite fast before they can react

Of course this is what it shares with direct action games like Ninja Gaiden, which speaks to Team Ninja's previous experience

When you git gud you'll be playing like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg

Mupod

Many bosses in the Souls games require you to dodge into them, Bloodborne especially. It's hardly an unheard of tactic and is found in a bunch of action heavy games of this nature. Not sure why this is a big complaint nor is having to learn how to dodge attacks. That is a big part of a good boss is learning their tells, the proper counter or reaction and so on.

I've played Monster Hunter for 10 years. I'm really critical about stuff like this because I've been through the worst hitboxes known to man, and I've also seen Capcom get very good at fixing them over the years.

Bloodborne's hard to compare directly to Nioh because it's got very generous invulnerability frames. Nioh has a fast dodge but jack shit for invulnerability, similar to MH without armor skills. So when a Bloodborne monster is flailing its arms around, the solution is always to dodge through it with good timing. Nioh needs a different approach, and bad hitboxes are more apparent since it's more about positioning than timing. I'm actually better at that than I am at Bloodborne so it's not a complaint.

To be more specific about my problem with the Ogress, if you see the claw swipes and back up out of the visual representation, you'll probably die. But if you just walk forward you're fine. I didn't have a problem with 99% of enemies in the beta but getting instakilled by some bullshit like that feels bad even though it was possible to learn that quirk. I'm hoping it's the rare exception not the rule because learning specifics like that for every boss fight would get tiresome. Based on the favorable reviews I'm gonna guess it's not that big a deal in the final game. Hell I think they actually put some work in on Onryoki as it felt like a much more fun fight in the LCT's twilight mission than it was in the alpha, maybe they did the same for Ogress in the final game.

Lifeline

Damn, went from a 9/10 to a 9.6/10, wonder if the late game is really good. Nice to see the Meta got bumped up to 88 as well.

Gaf is literally the only site where I see anyone put any stock into OpenCritic. Is it run by a gaffer or something? That would explain it lol.

I also find this weird, whatever happened to gamerankings, that was the one was used to be posted alongside metacritic.

my issue with the last chance trial bosses was that some of their moves required knowledge of their weird hitboxes that only came with practice. Dodging the Ogress' claw flurry attack required dodging forward INTO her which is illogical. Likewise with Muneshige's running draw attack, the only way to avoid it is to dodge straight forward into it. I'm hoping this isn't a running problem with Nioh bosses, it's something you can work around but it's also something that's more annoying when you're trying to progress in a long game than it is when all you have is 3 levels in a beta demo.

Dodging into enemy attacks is a natural consequence of having I-Frames on a Dodge maneuver. It's an action game staple.

Edit: Your issue seems to be more hitbox related though it seems? In that case, yeah, that's kinda an issue. I think it's actually less of an issue here than in the Souls games but yeah, some hit boxes are definitely a bit off.

I've watched some Twitch streamers play for 10+ never switching from medium stance.

You don't need to make the combat complicated, having patience and awareness of spacing is all you'll need to be more than competent.

Freeman76

Dont put too much stock in what that guy said. Combat a million times better than all souls combined? Fuck off lol.

I found it a lot harder than any of the souls games as well, a lot of people did. You get overblown shit all the time on GAF.

gow3isben

The only big sites left that can change the average are Polygon and GameSpot.

Not how it works buddy. We have less than half the reviews in right now. If I were optimistic I would say it ends at 87, if I were pessimistic I would say it ends up at 85. 86 is a good bet. It literally takes one major hit like a 4/10 from an insignificant site to deal heavy damage to very high rated games.

ACE 1991

Dont put too much stock in what that guy said. Combat a million times better than all souls combined? Fuck off lol.

I found it a lot harder than any of the souls games as well, a lot of people did. You get overblown shit all the time on GAF.

I pre-ordered when I realized it was a mix of Diablo, Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls. I'm not particularly great at video games but got through a lot of the content in the souls series (didn't finish all of them), so I'm hoping the jump in difficulty isn't really that bad.

Artdayne

I was planning on holding off on this game for a couple months given For Honor beta + release is in a few days plus ME Andromeda and Zelda later but man these reviews are really tempting me to buy this at release.

60fps is the number one reason I'm interested in Nioh, even though I never finished a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne.

It just seems right that a game like this should play at a super smooth 30fps (like DriveClub and Destiny) or if possible at a locked 60fps.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are perfectly playable, but also just feel a little chunky at times.

I guess I'm in, then.

It looks a tiny bit flat design wise (compared to Bloodborne which I can't help but do) but I still like the charm overall. A good game to satify my taste for action until From Software reveals their next big game is all I want!

Lifeline

Not how it works buddy. We have less than half the reviews in right now. If I were optimistic I would say it ends at 87, if I were pessimistic I would say it ends up at 85. 86 is a good bet. It literally takes one major hit like a 4/10 from an insignificant site to deal heavy damage to very high rated games.

Doesn't Metacritic weigh bigger sites scores a lot more heavily than the smaller outlets.

Top Bottom