• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Acolyte Season Two

jason10mm

Gold Member
Of course the online chatter is that white conservative incels killed it but yeah, my thing is that these shows are pretty much custom made for the diversity and inclusion crowd which constantly affirms that they are the majority now. So why hell aren't they making these shows successful.
Ding ding ding! There IS a very specific core audience for Star Wars. Any and all attempts to "branch out into new markets" has failed, often spectacularly. If there was a long game to transition the Star Wars IP over to women, starting with The Force Awakens and taking center stage with The Last Jedi, well, it's been almost a decade, how's it working out for yah?

Qt68ulh.jpeg

I think y'all hurt him. Bro just come back, it's just Buck Rogers with Samurai Swords and they/thems. Chill.

8bitpill

Are we collectively losing the ability to self reflect? Is introspection not a thing anymore? What made her think that "song" was a good idea. I'm getting mill vanilli vibes but at least their stuff was catchy.
It's a trend to answer controversial subjects in this short of manner.

I'm curious to see how these young adults handle actual adulthood.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
but it was popular they said

GVYfwwOWkAE8eeF
It’s funny because the company claiming this uses “engagement data.”

What likely happened was them seeing all the non-watchers obsessed with this show because of the cast and creators and all the “DEI” complaining plus all the people that riled up who defend it.

It’s just a bad show, period. That’s why its ratings were bad. Poorly marketed, written, acted, etc.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Good.

ManaByte ManaByte you ok??

Los Angeles Lol GIF by NBA
Tom Hanks Dancing GIF

Mmmh that's really weird, usually he's there in a few seconds when he has stupid shit to say to defend Disney.

Edit:
Qt68ulh.jpeg

I think y'all hurt him. Bro just come back, it's just Buck Rogers with Samurai Swords and they/thems. Chill.

Hahahahaha haven't seen this. So he can act like a dick, calling other names but as soon as it start to backfire he disappear :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Because yeah Mana, I haven't forgotten how you treated/insulted me just for saying that The SnyderCut will most likely be better than JL.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Thank god justice and reason prevailed. This show was bad bad bad bad. Bad. Baaaaaaaaaaad. Amateur hour.

Whoever said it felt like a CW pilot was dead on lol. It just felt so goddamn cheap and cheesy and just "wtf" all around.

But I secretly wish they would pluck Manny Jacinto though and use him somewhere else. I did like him and his fight scene was lit. But this show was fucking trashola otherwise.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This show was an atrocity and didn't deserve a season 2 and that "Director" shouldn't be allowed near anything Star Wars related again.

Kathleen Kennedy needs to go too, like yesterday. The only thing good that's come out of her tenure has been Andor and that's it!

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

The more insanely stupid, immediate responses to the show being cancelled falling along the lines of "the chuds did this" or "it's the -ists' and -phobes' fault" are expected and predictable at this point. Twitter Gonna Twitter.

Said reactions are also quite telling, because it seems they can't comprehend that there might be people with any actual legitimate reason to criticize or even dislike The Acolyte, or that "Da Haterz" hold so much power, influence, and weight in the show's cancellation than a decision that ultimately lies in the hands of Disney. They decided the show wasn't worth continuing, so they didn't, and blaming people for not liking the show downplays the responsibility on Disney's part.

As soon as she dropped that song, I knew there was no way this show was getting a season 2.
You just know that there were people at Disney who put their face in their hands the day that song was uploaded and started making the rounds. I don't doubt that it even played a factor in The Acolyte getting cancelled after one season. Just such an overall embarrassing response on Amandla's part, but it couldn't have happened to a better show.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Can't all we agree that having different opinions is ok? I'm ok with him liking it... or is the problem his reaction towards who doesn't like it?
Maybe when he will call you a cocksucker/dickrider (in other things) because you like a film he doesn't you will start to understand why me and many other people here don't like him. At all.

And now he's playing the victim when he should just grow the fuck up.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The more insanely stupid, immediate responses to the show being cancelled falling along the lines of "the chuds did this" or "it's the -ists' and -phobes' fault" are expected and predictable at this point. Twitter Gonna Twitter.

Said reactions are also quite telling, because it seems they can't comprehend that there might be people with any actual legitimate reason to criticize or even dislike The Acolyte, or that "Da Haterz" hold so much power, influence, and weight in the show's cancellation than a decision that ultimately lies in the hands of Disney. They decided the show wasn't worth continuing, so they didn't, and blaming people for not liking the show downplays the responsibility on Disney's part.
It’s intentional at this point. They get all those “toxic online trolls and bigots are review bombing” stories ready to go before Entertainment Product even launches. Then they can use it to shame critics into blunting their criticism so they don’t get labeled as one of the CHUDs

jason10mm

Gold Member

Straight up cyberbullying with those posts.

"Wah, didn't renew a show I didn't watch but supposedly had people that sorta looked like me! Wah if almost then entire audience didn't watch because no one in the show looked like them why shouldn't Disney keeps throwing money into the pit of tiny niche audiences?!? WAH you are EVIL if you didn't support (but not actually watch) this show!"

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

WTF are they smoking. Jacinto as Qmir was one of the few things going for the show, and even then they wasted his character with their shit writing. Dude did the best he could with what he was given. Lee Jung-jae as Sol, despite his constant battle with his English and delivery, was still easily more charismatic and likeable than the rest of the cast.

Saber

Can't all we agree that having different opinions is ok? I'm ok with him liking it... or is the problem his reaction towards who doesn't like it?

Depends. You don't go saying different opinions when somebody defends a poop. Something that is universally crap is a crap, regardless of you liking that crap. And the worst offender when the person in question gets super defensive about.

Last edited:
Maybe when he will call you a cocksucker/dickrider (in other things) because you like a film he doesn't you will start to understand why me and many other people here don't like him. At all.

And now he's playing the victim when he should just grow the fuck up.
Huh, didn't know that. That's why I'm asking. Too bad then.

He was constantly and consistently a douchebag to everyone here and of course he plays the victim after he finally figured out no one here liked him one bit
Please don't say things like that. While he was a Disney Paladin he still contributed a lot to this place. (Not that I'm on some Mod shit I didn't expose him to group roast.)

He was wrong, he just has to admit it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It's okay to like and support a show or whatever, but what ruffles feathers is when constructive criticism is largely handwaved away or not even acknowledged. In my mind a true fan should be aghast at how Disney and Lucasfilm, for the most part, are handling all these beloved IPs.

Heck, most of us were blasting Star Wars before Disney took ownership, and I like many others here thought the prequels at the time were middling mediocre movies that really swung for the stands, but missed the mark by huge margins. But it still felt like Star Wars and I still love those movies. Yet I'm open and self-aware enough to acknowledge that those movies were flawed up the wazoo too.

The other bullshit was dismissing people who criticised Disney and Lucasfilm as just falling for YouTube outrage baiters. I've said this before but it's worth repeating: I can’t stand most of these personalities, like Critical Drinker, Nerdrotic, etc., but for fuck’s sake, that doesn’t mean what they’re saying is wrong. If Disney/Lucasfilm/Hollywood didn’t hand them so much ammunition, I’d be more than happy to see them fade into irrelevance.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That's an awesome film but the romantic subtext was sooooo creepy :p

It was barely there. They really should have gone for it! Miss Aaliyah. She was amazing in the short time she was on Earth.

I don't like how Mana was treated. He doesn't work at Disney... He's just passionate about movies/TV (he makes threads and comments about plenty of non-disney stuff) and hates how the word Woke is said about anything these days.

The "hate" some of y'all show him is really uncalled for.

Edit: especially since he hasn't even BEEN in this thread.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

It's okay to like and support a show or whatever, but what ruffles feathers is when constructive criticism is largely handwaved away or not even acknowledged. In my mind a true fan should be aghast at how Disney and Lucasfilm, for the most part, are handling all these beloved IPs.

Heck, most of us were blasting Star Wars before Disney took ownership, and I like many others here thought the prequels at the time were middling mediocre movies that really swung for the stands, but missed the mark by huge margins. But it still felt like Star Wars and I still love those movies. I love those movies yet I'm open and self-aware enough to acknowledge that those movies are a fucking mess.

The other bullshit was dismissing people who criticised Disney and Lucasfilm as just falling for YouTube outrage baiters. I've said this before but it's worth repeating: I can’t stand most of these personalities, like Critical Drinker, Nerdrotic, etc., but for fuck’s sake, that doesn’t mean what they’re saying is wrong. If Disney/Lucasfilm/Hollywood didn’t hand them so much ammunition, I’d be more than happy to see them fade into irrelevance.
Disney's Star Wars output is so bad that it completely nuked SW toys and merchandise sales, which is something i even didn't think was possible. However one feels about the prequels, it sustained the fanbase and moved a ton merch.

Neon Xenon

It’s intentional at this point. They get all those “toxic online trolls and bigots are review bombing” stories ready to go before Entertainment Product even launches. Then they can use it to shame critics into blunting their criticism so they don’t get labeled as one of the CHUDs
Yes. A big issue I have with the people who go about this routine in defense of anything remotely diverse is that, yes, I am aware that trolls/racists/what the fuck ever exist and hate on media for stupid reasons. No, I don't constantly need a reminder that they exist. I also don't give a shit about their opinions because they're stupid, and they're not worth putting stock into. I'm so fucking tired of seeing these things get trotted out and conflated with people who have actual criticism in regards to something.

No fucking wonder the state of actually wanting to talk about media online is so terrible overall right now, because of things like this.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

That's my issue with him, I don't hate the guy but when I was criticizing it I wasn't even being mean about it. I just dropped the show after I watched Episode 3 and moved on. And he made up shit saying I never watched The Farce Awakens which I did and hated. He was getting butt hurt even when what I was saying wasn't being mean at all towards him. I always found his defense of Disney super weird.. He must be a paid shill or delusional/denial

But personally I just find the whole thing with him to be funny

Disney really did kill the brand for me. We shall see how Skeleton Crew turns out

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's a crowdfunded amateur Kickstarter. And the reason he leans into Critical Drinker so heavily is because his books don't sell. Let's not start thinking he's some kind of power player, eh?
I hardly watch him anymore but he's the most tolerable of that bunch. He does talk about things he likes. I wish he would do more of that. I've referenced it several times but he's got a 4 hour stream talking about the greatness of Commando. He's got some talent and charisma. Anyway, drinker defense force out lol.

I'd wager his and the other people like him influence of the success or lack of success over whatever is greatly exaggerated. To the point of being practically non-existent. He's not fucking Joe Rogan as far as popularity lol.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was barely there. They really should have gone for it! Miss Aaliyah. She was amazing in the short time she was on Earth.
Yeah, bit hard to call the movie "Romeo must die" and NOT evoke Romeo and Juliets a doomed love affair. But Jet Li ain't the prettiest guy and his ability to play suave is rather limited. GREAT fighter, but has his limits (in English films at least).

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, bit hard to call the movie "Romeo must die" and NOT evoke Romeo and Juliets a doomed love affair. But Jet Li ain't the prettiest guy and his ability to play suave is rather limited. GREAT fighter, but has his limits (in English films at least).

I think they felt that an Asian love interest to a black woman lead wouldn't sell tickets. It most certainly would have, IMO. Hollywood continues to act like Asian men being a romantic Lead won't sell.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I don't like how Mana was treated. He doesn't work at Disney... He's just passionate about movies/TV (he makes threads and comments about plenty of non-disney stuff) and hates how the word Woke is said about anything these days.

The "hate" some of y'all show him is really uncalled for.

Edit: especially since he hasn't even BEEN in this thread.

And?

He asked for it when he would make baseless claims about posters on here that weren't true

Also ignoring how bad lot of the recent stuff have been from Disney was weird to me

Especially Post 2019 I noticed that quality that Disney put out has drastically decreased

As for me it's not only Disney I criticize but I also criticize WB, DC, Amazon Prime, Apple TV Plus etc

Recent Non Disney stuff I didn't like was The Boys Season 4 and The House of Dragon Season 2

Personally I'm taking a wait and see approach when it comes to Agatha All Along and Star Wars Skeleton Crew

Agatha All Along I'm going to wait to see the reaction from you tubers I trust. I'm gonna to most likely skip it though, there was certain elements in those trailers that just weren't my thing

With Skeleton Crew yes the trailer looks good but I'm going to wait on reviews and not rottentomatoes critics reviews but user reviews or listen to what my friends say about the show since my tastes usually align with theirs most of the time

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think they felt that an Asian love interest to a black woman lead wouldn't sell tickets. It most certainly would have, IMO. Hollywood continues to act like Asian men being a romantic Lead won't sell.
He was 37 at the time, she was like 21, ain't no romance happening like that, even in 2000 :p

But yeah, desexualizing Asian men but over sexualizing the women (and infantalizing both) is a big problem with Hollywood. I bet Chow Yun Fat, Toshiro Mifune (were he half a decade younger...and alive), or Bolo Yeung would have had no issues wooing Aaliyah though :p

Fortunately there is a robust Asian cinema scene so I don't have to wait for the blue moon good western Asian starring film. Russell Wong couldn't carry the entire Asian world on his back and we lost Brandon Lee far far far too soon.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
He was 37 at the time, she was like 21, ain't no romance happening like that, even in 2000 :p

But yeah, desexualizing Asian men but over sexualizing the women (and infantalizing both) is a big problem with Hollywood. I bet Chow Yun Fat, Toshiro Mifune (were he half a decade younger...and alive), or Bolo Yeung would have had no issues wooing Aaliyah though :p

Fortunately there is a robust Asian cinema scene so I don't have to wait for the blue moon good western Asian starring film. Russell Wong couldn't carry the entire Asian world on his back and we lost Brandon Lee far far far too soon.

Unless he was her sugar daddy 👀 (If this was real life though)

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Yes! I remember when it was the norm to oversexualize black and Asian women in movies and TV... Like that's all they were good for. Whores and maids is all Hollywood used them as for the longest ... Exceptions proved the rule until recently. It's gotten a LITTLE better, especially Asian women. Michelle Yeoh is as close to a Megastar as it comes in American media ... When she's a freaking QUEEN in the rest of the world... And Asian men were ALWAYS violent OR docile wimps. No in-between. It is SICK!

So many great Asian actors and Hollywood just refused to use them to the full extent of their abilities!

And let's not forget the over-mystification of Native Americans and acting like they're some rare species that crosses over the dimensional barrier or something.

Top Bottom