• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Acolyte Season Two

raduque

I wonder if that actress is going to make another "song" & music video to clap back at her "haters" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
giphy.webp

If you haven't watched it yet, here you go,

Careful, she gonna DMCA you! :messenger_tears_of_joy::pie_roffles:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
J jason10mm

It's makes me extremely happy that The Acolyte Season 2 and She-Hulk Season 2 are cancelled

Makes me hope that Disney is actually learning their lesson

But at the same time it's too soon to say 👀
The crazy thing about the DEI/woke craze is how much money is put into it too.

You'd think the logical business way would be to start small and interject that into low budget indie films or documentaries to test out audience acceptance.

But nope. Go full tilt with big budgets and franchises. Down the toilet she goes. lol

I'm not a SW follower. I've probably only watched half the movies and havent watched one TV show. So I have no skin the game. But I always enjoy big business bombs, especially coming from working at big companies my entire life and unless youre really retarded, it's pretty hard to fuck up tried and true product lines unless you do Coke II or turn SW content wokeish. You'd have to have the entire company from execs, R&D, marketing, sales, warehousing/shipping etc.... all fucking up together to really sink a ship. there's typically enough checks and balanced views from different departments to ensure a super successful product line doesnt go from hero to zero in a year.

But in media, all it seems to take is one retarded director or writers tandem to fuck up the whole project. lol

She-hulk. 9 episodes. $225M budget. Figure that one out.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yes! I remember when it was the norm to oversexualize black and Asian women in movies and TV... Like that's all they were good for. Whores and maids is all Hollywood used them as for the longest ... Exceptions proved the rule until recently. It's gotten a LITTLE better, especially Asian women. Michelle Yeoh is as close to a Megastar as it comes in American media ... When she's a freaking QUEEN in the rest of the world... And Asian men were ALWAYS violent OR docile wimps. No in-between. It is SICK!

So many great Asian actors and Hollywood just refused to use them to the full extent of their abilities!

And let's not forget the over-mystification of Native Americans and acting like they're some rare species that crosses over the dimensional barrier or something.

Or you can just not watch that stuff if it offends you? And watch outside of Hollywood? Like Korean entertainment and Bollywood are a couple of examples

I don't watch stuff that offends me personally but at the same time I'm not calling for a ban of it..

jason10mm

Gold Member
She-hulk. 9 episodes. $225M budget. Figure that one out.
Even worse, you got echo and Ms. Marvel in there as well.

The feminization of Marvel, in tandem with star wars, is truly bizarre. It's like the execs got together and said "hey, boys will watch ANYTHING with a cape or lightsaber, they are fucking MORONS when it comes to this stuff. So how about we go 100% towards the other half of the population and bring THEM on board? I mean, some girls have liked this stuff, so let's dunk on every male character and commit, oh, I dunno, like 1-2 BILLION dollars hiring women who have little cred in this space, little experience with these types of shows, no interest in telling stories to boys [those idiots who are totally committed, remember] and let's just see what will happen? Ya'll gals with me!?!!?"

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

The feminization of Marvel, in tandem with star wars, is truly bizarre. It's like the execs got together and said "hey, boys will watch ANYTHING with a cape or lightsaber, they are fucking MORONS when it comes to this stuff. So how about we go 100% towards the other half of the population and bring THEM on board? I mean, some girls have liked this stuff, so let's dunk on every male character and commit, oh, I dunno, like 1-2 BILLION dollars hiring women who have little cred in this space, little experience with these types of shows, no interest in telling stories to boys [those idiots who are totally committed, remember] and let's just see what will happen? Ya'll gals with me!?!!?"

Which is funny because even before Phase 4 of MCU, there was a massive fanbase of female fans. Nowadays lot of the female fans have moved on. Back than the franchise wasn't aimed at them but they still flocked to them. Now, lot of them dropped the MCU like flies

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup. That’s taking a customer base for granted assuming guaranteed sales.

Read up on recent Harley Davidson DEI pushback. A big laugh.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Well fuck me, why might that be? I wonder....

AvzrkUv.jpeg
g7CaO4M.jpeg
wRnySNS.jpeg
kNiqPjS.jpeg

And that's the point I'm making. women like seeing good looking men with six pack abs on screen

They really don't care about this agenda stuff at all

Psychology wise most of the time with female fans it's because they see themselves as the main love Interest in those movies. I forgot where I read that but it's pretty common with "Female Fans"

Yes there are girls who are fans, but they are minority at best when it comes to the geeky stuff

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m no homo. But going by the pics above, if I watched an action or superhero movie I want to see the main guy ripped and kicking ass too. It’s like watching an Arnie movie and you know at some point the muscles and dufflebag of guns will come out.

Why would I want to watch wokeish characters or wimpy dude? I can see them on Twitter.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well fuck me, why might that be? I wonder....

AvzrkUv.jpeg
g7CaO4M.jpeg
wRnySNS.jpeg
kNiqPjS.jpeg
Yup. Side note It is hilarious to me that a character like Ant Man or even Doctor Strange would be jacked. There's no reason for it except the female gaze. It's undeniable.

Edit: and I recognize the male power fantasy is a thing too but Chris Hemsworth or Hugh Jackman isn't getting their shirts off in every movie for the guys.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yup. Side note It is hilarious to me that a character like Ant Man or even Doctor Strange would be jacked. There's no reason for it except the female gaze. It's undeniable.

Edit: and I recognize the male power fantasy is a thing too but Chris Hemsworth or Hugh Jackman isn't getting their shirts off in every movie for the guys.

Before Phase 4 MCU made alot of money by using the female gaze as a total marketing tool. It's wild how much Marvel Studio missed that. There's many other reasons for the MCU success pre Phase 4 but that one reason is one of the main ones

I remember watching Black Panther in theaters when it first came out and many women squealing when Killmonger took off his shirt

With guys it's different, we see those men in shape and see it as something to aspire to

Last edited:

BlackTron

Disney's Star Wars output is so bad that it completely nuked SW toys and merchandise sales, which is something i even didn't think was possible. However one feels about the prequels, it sustained the fanbase and moved a ton merch.

Every time I pass the toy aisle I think about how bad their sales must be and sleep better that night.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
He was 37 at the time, she was like 21, ain't no romance happening like that, even in 2000 :p

But yeah, desexualizing Asian men but over sexualizing the women (and infantalizing both) is a big problem with Hollywood. I bet Chow Yun Fat, Toshiro Mifune (were he half a decade younger...and alive), or Bolo Yeung would have had no issues wooing Aaliyah though :p

Fortunately there is a robust Asian cinema scene so I don't have to wait for the blue moon good western Asian starring film. Russell Wong couldn't carry the entire Asian world on his back and we lost Brandon Lee far far far too soon.

This was goddamn Jet Li we’re talking about, and he probably had to use all his skills just to keep her off him. Jet Li had the moves, the swag, and that undeniable screen presence, and Aaliyah was still only human drawn to his flame.

Jokes aside, I really miss the glorious Hong Kong/Cantonese films and shows of the past and the incredible superstars they produced

jason10mm

Gold Member
This was goddamn Jet Li we’re talking about, and he probably had to use all his skills just to keep her off him. Jet Li had the moves, the swag, and that undeniable screen presence, and Aaliyah was still only human drawn to his flame.

Jokes aside, I really miss the glorious Hong Kong/Cantonese films and shows of the past and the incredible superstars they produced
Heh heh, IIRC he dies play a kinda shy and naive type, I think they were trying to pass him off as more youthful but at some point they just stopped trying.

I have this film superimposed over Kiss of the Dragon in my head, a much darker film, so it's hard to remember all the details of Romeo. Need to watch it again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Didn't people say this show was doing incredible in the ratings? I could have sworn I read that it was topping the charts in the last thread I saw.

RAÏSanÏa

Toys really are another thing that indicates a lack of knowing or caring about those aspects of what they're dealing with. At least with this show.
It's easy to see that to a child they're imaginative devices that get direction from their source material.

The characters that got killed off in Acolyte had potential to make excellent toys. They were very distinct looks and strong characterization whose personalities could've made fun plays. Especially from a series where they could change looks and develop every season. Might even get 3 rounds of buying before a gen grows out of it.
Not that they couldn't be killed off, it's in how that will influence desire to play. Old man Obi-Wan from IV was one of my most played with figures. His character doing his character story across the multiverse. It's hard to imagine kids getting much mileage out of the deceased characters with what they were given with this show.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh yeah, I know my good friend DeafTourette DeafTourette likes them thick booties.....:p

3T1kMSN.jpeg

That dude could kill me just flicking my forehead... Is that what you want?!

But gimme a black woman built like the fighter chick from Mandalorian seasons 1 and 2 but with a rounder booty (like Angela Bassett or Lupita N'yongo) and I'll take the beating from her and love it! Death by SnuSnu!

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Or you can just not watch that stuff if it offends you? And watch outside of Hollywood? Like Korean entertainment and Bollywood are a couple of examples

I don't watch stuff that offends me personally but at the same time I'm not calling for a ban of it..
It doesn't offend me. It's just weird how Hollywood treated non-white actors/characters until relatively recently. They still have a ways to go with Asian men. Notice Henry Golding has basically disappeared...

And I do watch Korean/Chinese cinema... Not so much Bollywood. The most Indian movie I've watched and Enjoyed is Monkey Man with Dev Patel. The last actual Bollywood movie I saw Was Dhoom 2.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
It doesn't offend me. It's just weird how Hollywood treated non-white actors/characters until relatively recently. They still have a ways to go with Asian men. Notice Henry Golding has basically disappeared...

And I do watch Korean/Chinese cinema... Not so much Bollywood. The most Indian movie I've watched and Enjoyed is Monkey Man with Dev Patel. The last actual Bollywood movie I saw Was Dhoom 2.

Hollywood doesn't have to change what sells..

Reason why Hollywood is having alot of issues right now is because they decided to chase a audience that wanted that change when that audience is practically non existent/small percentage of the country population

Now a days most of the the stuff that Hollywood puts out is mostly bland crap aimed at everyone. So there's usually the issue of the IP having no identity

The Acolyte was bland and terrible with the creator actually thinking she can do better than Lucas when it comes to the Prequels

Yes the Prequels have issues but I prefer Lucas Prequels, Clone Wars and his lore to Disney lore anytime. The issue with Hollywood is that the people who are working in Hollywood is that they refuse to take any criticism and will just double down and push stuff down people's throat

Also it's weird how you always harp on Hollywood when it comes to certain stuff but it's funny how much money that industry has been losing since going down that route you want them to take

What happened with MCU Post Phase 3 is what really pissed me off

If there was an actual audience for woke entertainment, than The Acolyte Season 2 and She-Hulk Season 2 wouldn't have been canceled.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hollywood doesn't have to change what sells..

Reason why Hollywood is having alot of issues right now is because they decided to chase a audience that wanted that change when that audience is practically non existent/small percentage of the country population

Now a days most of the the stuff that Hollywood puts out is mostly bland crap aimed at everyone. So there's usually the issue of the IP having no identity

The Acolyte was bland and terrible with the creator actually thinking she can do better than Lucas when it comes to the Prequels

Yes the Prequels have issues but I prefer Lucas Prequels, Clone Wars and his lore to Disney lore anytime. The issue with Hollywood is that the people who are working in Hollywood is that they refuse to take any criticism and will just double down and push stuff down people's throat

Also it's weird how you always harp on Hollywood when it comes to certain stuff but it's funny how much money that industry has been losing since going down that route you want them to take

What happened with MCU Post Phase 3 is what really pissed me off

If there was an actual audience for woke entertainment, than The Acolyte Season 2 and She-Hulk Season 2 wouldn't have been canceled.

That's just it though... It's not THAT they made those movies and shows ... It's that they're VERY badly written and directed. I REALLY liked Shang-Chi... It felt a bit like a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung movie mixed with a 90s action hero vibe. At least to me.

Book of Boba Fett was bad MOST episodes... She-Hulk went downhill after episode 2 and Daredevil barely saved the last few episodes (final EP was BAD!) ...

I liked Echo mostly because of Maya and the ASL (I LOVE Deaf representation!!!!)... I didn't like them changing her powers ... I gave it a chance but no... Didn't like it. Might have been cool to ADD them into the existing powers of mimicry mastery... I get the Choctaw stuff as my hometown has an annual Choctaw Fair on the rez but the powers needing a specific hand motion (the hashtag sign) was kinda weird.

Ant-Man was a waste of a movie. The ending sucked! Kang was the saving grace of that movie...

I liked No Way Home ...

Doctor Strange 2 was ok but could have and SHOULD HAVE gone weirder.

I liked Falcon and Winter Soldier... They needed Marcus and McFeely back for the script as it was just ok. The chemistry between them was great and the action was cool, just not great.

Hawkeye was a slow burn. It ended ok.

Ms. Marvel was charming... Slow in some aspects... They should have focused more on the disrespectful Muslim woman at Damage Control as the villain and not spent so much time with the alien humans. The Damage Control woman was the real villain... Focus on HER ...

I can't remember most of the rest.

But I still contend the WRITING wasn't up to par. And I blame that on overstuffing the year with product instead of letting things breathe and taking their time with making sure dialogue and plot was good to great!

Has nothing to do with "the message" as much as it does the writing and plot. Great movies will have a message about anything and be successful (box office or streaming) as long as the story, dialogue and plot all make sense and are written with APLOMB! Like Everything Everywhere All At Once

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is dead dead

Yeah, since it isn't generating cash flow and is COSTING them money keeping it on servers and having to pay residuals the next evolution in a streaming hellscape is to delete it from existence for a marginal tax write off of "projected revenue", which is probably why they gear these shows for as big an initial response as possible so they can say "this show SHOULD have done 20 million views a week, since it is 200 THOSUAND viewers instead then it cost us 45 million a week, deduct that from our 'profit' and reduce taxes accordingly please while we delete it from our servers!"

In the old days this stuff could be packaged and sold to international and syndicated distributers for at least a little scratch but in a streaming world Disney can't even do that (yet).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As much as I don't have any interest in The Acolyte, if it does get removed from D+ and buried, it'll just be another wake up call that streaming is not the answer for anything you value. Physical media is not obsolete, since companies cannot dictate your access to it. And Jack Sparrow performs a useful service to society by preserving digital media, too. There is no legal way to watch the Willow D+ show and there may never be. Next up, The Acolyte.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
That's just it though... It's not THAT they made those movies and shows ... It's that they're VERY badly written and directed. I REALLY liked Shang-Chi... It felt a bit like a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung movie mixed with a 90s action hero vibe. At least to me.

Book of Boba Fett was bad MOST episodes... She-Hulk went downhill after episode 2 and Daredevil barely saved the last few episodes (final EP was BAD!) ...

I liked Echo mostly because of Maya and the ASL (I LOVE Deaf representation!!!!)... I didn't like them changing her powers ... I gave it a chance but no... Didn't like it. Might have been cool to ADD them into the existing powers of mimicry mastery... I get the Choctaw stuff as my hometown has an annual Choctaw Fair on the rez but the powers needing a specific hand motion (the hashtag sign) was kinda weird.

Ant-Man was a waste of a movie. The ending sucked! Kang was the saving grace of that movie...

I liked No Way Home ...

Doctor Strange 2 was ok but could have and SHOULD HAVE gone weirder.

I liked Falcon and Winter Soldier... They needed Marcus and McFeely back for the script as it was just ok. The chemistry between them was great and the action was cool, just not great.

Hawkeye was a slow burn. It ended ok.

Ms. Marvel was charming... Slow in some aspects... They should have focused more on the disrespectful Muslim woman at Damage Control as the villain and not spent so much time with the alien humans. The Damage Control woman was the real villain... Focus on HER ...

I can't remember most of the rest.

But I still contend the WRITING wasn't up to par. And I blame that on overstuffing the year with product instead of letting things breathe and taking their time with making sure dialogue and plot was good to great!

Has nothing to do with "the message" as much as it does the writing and plot. Great movies will have a message about anything and be successful (box office or streaming) as long as the story, dialogue and plot all make sense and are written with APLOMB! Like Everything Everywhere All At Once

You really have to cite Everything Everywhere All At Once at me?

What I find funny about that is that

1. That movie had the actual proper budget which was around 15 to 25 milliion and the movie made about 143 million. Yes it's a success but not by alot. If the movie had a higher budget it would have made less profit. Not to mention that much money it made was mostly on the lower side of the success is in, most of the audience were most likely of the woke crowd. Just tells me there from the beginning if you are aiming your movies at the woke, go with a small budget and you will get the success if you aim it at the audience that wants to see it. I used Wikipedia

2. That movie was fucking cringe

3. Hell Joker was made on a 55 million budget and that made over a billion. This movie was more of a success and that's because it has no messenging and it actually a movie people wanted to see. Personally wasn't fan of the movie and hated it due to the plot being super predictable

Yes The Messinging is one of the main issues. That "Message" Shouldn't have been in The Falcon And The WInter Soldier. That "Message" is the main reason Black Widow Sucked. That "Message" is the reason especially why She-Hulk SUCKED. Etc etc etc

And before you say well the comics did it before involving Falcon taking on the mantle of Captain America. That story arc wasn't particularly recieved well and it bombed. And before you say how about Iron Man? He wasn't popular before the MCU. Yes he was, he was popular with the niche comicbook crowd who read Marvel. That's why he was more of a success even before Iron Man came out in the theaters. He was just considered D List

I don't care if "The Message" is written well, I just don't want that crap in the MCU and Star Wars. And if they keep on doubling down, Disney and Hollywood will keep on losing customers. Yes the MCU has lot of issues other than the messanging but you can't deny that's one of the main issues.

Yes Black Panther made over a billion but Black Panther 2 made less despite making a profit. And there's a huge difference between how much each movie made. There's a reason for that

I'm just sick of this constant agenda being pushed down my throat

I was watching Inside Out 2 and even though I didn't enjoy it, my mom did. And this movie made over a billion and while watching I noticed no wokeness at all.

I heard that's why Deadpool And Wolverine is a good movie and is making over a billion

Also it looks like Disney is getting rid of the blue hairs behind the scenes

I'm hoping the extra time given to Captain America Brave New World and Ironheart is take out any wokeness they had before

As for Monkey Man, the more I thought about it the more I disliked it due to certain aspects to the movie. Not surprised it bombed, I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. I'm personally meh on it

And you are telling me that the Message isn't one of the main issues (ROLLS EYES)

Now let's talk about something that's "Diverse" but has no message that's actually a good show. The Expanse is a perfect example of that. It's based off the Sci FI book series and guess what even in the book is filled with white, brown and black people. Something like this I'm fine with since it actually has a great plot and the characters are written well not only used as token characters or a mouthpiece like 99 Percent of western entertainment. That's one of the few times I felt something was successfull and it has a diverse cast. It was moderately successful and had a lot of fans. You should check it out, it's on Amazon Prime or just sail the Seven Seas

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is dead dead

lol

Not even bargain basement deals to flush out remaining inventory? The pathway for getting rid of stuff is:

- Put on big discount yourself (if direct online)
- Dump it to retailers at a hot price price
- Dump it to liquidators at a hotter price
- Let employees grab some free product (even a wholesale case or two). I've gotten my share of "Hey everyone, take a whole case off the skid if you want"
- Charity donations
- If there's still leftovers, trash it

But there are times, it's so embarrassingly bad the company just junks it all because they dont want any of the stockpile of products getting out to the marketplace.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
As much as I don't have any interest in The Acolyte, if it does get removed from D+ and buried, it'll just be another wake up call that streaming is not the answer for anything you value. Physical media is not obsolete, since companies cannot dictate your access to it. And Jack Sparrow performs a useful service to society by preserving digital media, too. There is no legal way to watch the Willow D+ show and there may never be. Next up, The Acolyte.
It's funny, they still have a very nice splash page for Willow the TV series (https://ondisneyplus.disney.com/show/willow), but in the US at least it is totally absent from the service to watch. At least Crater, an actually not half bad film, can be bought elsewhere.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

What's Jack Sparrow?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You really have to cite Everything Everywhere All At Once at me?

What I find funny about that is that

1. That movie had the actual proper budget which was around 15 to 25 milliion and the movie made about 143 million. Yes it's a success but not by alot. If the movie had a higher budget it would have made less profit. Not to mention that much money it made was mostly on the lower side of the success is in, most of the audience were most likely of the woke crowd. Just tells me there from the beginning if you are aiming your movies at the woke, go with a small budget and you will get the success if you aim it at the audience that wants to see it. I used Wikipedia

2. That movie was fucking cringe

3. Hell Joker was made on a 55 million budget and that made over a billion. This movie was more of a success and that's because it has no messenging and it actually a movie people wanted to see. Personally wasn't fan of the movie and hated it due to the plot being super predictable

Yes The Messinging is one of the main issues. That "Message" Shouldn't have been in The Falcon And The WInter Soldier. That "Message" is the main reason Black Widow Sucked. That "Message" is the reason especially why She-Hulk SUCKED. Etc etc etc

And before you say well the comics did it before involving Falcon taking on the mantle of Captain America. That story arc wasn't particularly recieved well and it bombed. And before you say how about Iron Man? He wasn't popular before the MCU. Yes he was, he was popular with the niche comicbook crowd who read Marvel. That's why he was more of a success even before Iron Man came out in the theaters. He was just considered D List

I don't care if "The Message" is written well, I just don't want that crap in the MCU and Star Wars. And if they keep on doubling down, Disney and Hollywood will keep on losing customers. Yes the MCU has lot of issues other than the messanging but you can't deny that's one of the main issues.

Yes Black Panther made over a billion but Black Panther 2 made less despite making a profit. And there's a huge difference between how much each movie made. There's a reason for that

I'm just sick of this constant agenda being pushed down my throat

I was watching Inside Out 2 and even though I didn't enjoy it, my mom did. And this movie made over a billion and while watching I noticed no wokeness at all.

I heard that's why Deadpool And Wolverine is a good movie and is making over a billion

Also it looks like Disney is getting rid of the blue hairs behind the scenes

I'm hoping the extra time given to Captain America Brave New World and Ironheart is take out any wokeness they had before

As for Monkey Man, the more I thought about it the more I disliked it due to certain aspects to the movie. Not surprised it bombed, I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. I'm personally meh on it

And you are telling me that the Message isn't one of the main issues (ROLLS EYES)

Now let's talk about something that's "Diverse" but has no message that's actually a good show. The Expanse is a perfect example of that. It's based off the Sci FI book series and guess what even in the book is filled with white, brown and black people. Something like this I'm fine with since it actually has a great plot and the characters are written well not only used as token characters or a mouthpiece like 99 Percent of western entertainment. That's one of the few times I felt something was successfull and it has a diverse cast. It was moderately successful and had a lot of fans. You should check it out, it's on Amazon Prime or just sail the Seven Seas

I still haven't seen The Expanse...and I don't have Prime anymore since my move. But I WILL watch it one day! You and everyone has said how great it is... I'm missing out! :(

Dr.Morris79

I'm the biggest advocate for physical everything, except these shows. They was made with such disdain for the source material I wouldn't care if not one soul could ever see them again

Bury the lot. And I hope the makers get the sack. A total bunch of grifting vapid hacks.

It would have been an utter waste of materials printing this guff.

KrakenIPA

It's cheaper than firing KK i suppose. Its still a damn shame.

Top Bottom