• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Acolyte Season Two

tkscz

It is dead dead

They had a $200 or $300 helmet on there. Insanity.

Had someone on facebook blame youtubers for the cancellation and when I tried to reason with them, they disagreed that Disney, a multi-billion dollar company, wouldn't care what youtubers said. Holy shit, these people.

The show wasn't that popular and cost them way more money than they would make on it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It is dead dead

OMG Noooo!
What about my weirdo helmet pre-order?
How will I coom now?!
lAZ7ygA.png

Cyberpunkd

They had a $200 or $300 helmet on there. Insanity.

Had someone on facebook blame youtubers for the cancellation and when I tried to reason with them, they disagreed that Disney, a multi-billion dollar company, wouldn't care what youtubers said. Holy shit, these people.

The show wasn't that popular and cost them way more money than they would make on it.
Here, let me help you with some copium:

Inspired by Outlaws I wanted to re-watch some SW so I settled for Episode IX (don't know why). What a steaming pile of thrash, Jesus Christ.

Trilobit

Gold Member
Ngl, I am jealous of Kathleen Kennedy. I wish I had a job where I could waste billions of dollars and still keep the job.

There's this theory that Lucas thought she'd take such good care of the franchise that he put a clause in the contract when selling it to Disney that they couldn't fire her. So if they do it's going to be very expensive.

The more I see of what she keeps greenlighting and how she still has a job makes me believe it's true.

If it was that easy it would have already happened. People that talented know it's a total shit show.

Yeah, they don't give creators enough time to develop good stories. Michael Arndt was going to helm the Disney trilogy, but he wanted more time so instead they went with JJ Abrams and Johnson. And we all know how that worked out. We could be sitting here talking about how eager we are for the upcoming movies, but instead fans have just given up.

Hudo

There's this theory that Lucas thought she'd take such good care of the franchise that he put a clause in the contract when selling it to Disney that they couldn't fire her. So if they do it's going to be very expensive.

The more I see of what she keeps greenlighting and how she still has a job makes me believe it's true.
Seems like she played both Lucas and Disney. Ngl, that's kinda based.

FunkMiller

Maybe if they do memory hole this, it'll finally convince the shills and idiots that Disney is a grotesque, hideous company that cares for nothing other than the bottom line.

RAÏSanÏa

That's just it though... It's not THAT they made those movies and shows ... It's that they're VERY badly written and directed. I REALLY liked Shang-Chi... It felt a bit like a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung movie mixed with a 90s action hero vibe. At least to me.

Book of Boba Fett was bad MOST episodes... She-Hulk went downhill after episode 2 and Daredevil barely saved the last few episodes (final EP was BAD!) ...

I liked Echo mostly because of Maya and the ASL (I LOVE Deaf representation!!!!)... I didn't like them changing her powers ... I gave it a chance but no... Didn't like it. Might have been cool to ADD them into the existing powers of mimicry mastery... I get the Choctaw stuff as my hometown has an annual Choctaw Fair on the rez but the powers needing a specific hand motion (the hashtag sign) was kinda weird.

Ant-Man was a waste of a movie. The ending sucked! Kang was the saving grace of that movie...

I liked No Way Home ...

Doctor Strange 2 was ok but could have and SHOULD HAVE gone weirder.

I liked Falcon and Winter Soldier... They needed Marcus and McFeely back for the script as it was just ok. The chemistry between them was great and the action was cool, just not great.

Hawkeye was a slow burn. It ended ok.

Ms. Marvel was charming... Slow in some aspects... They should have focused more on the disrespectful Muslim woman at Damage Control as the villain and not spent so much time with the alien humans. The Damage Control woman was the real villain... Focus on HER ...

I can't remember most of the rest.

But I still contend the WRITING wasn't up to par. And I blame that on overstuffing the year with product instead of letting things breathe and taking their time with making sure dialogue and plot was good to great!

Has nothing to do with "the message" as much as it does the writing and plot. Great movies will have a message about anything and be successful (box office or streaming) as long as the story, dialogue and plot all make sense and are written with APLOMB! Like Everything Everywhere All At Once
Agree with much about the MCU but some key different beats stand out for me.

Madisynn showed up in the fourth episode of She-Hulk. Jake, too. But, I like supernatural MCU. And surrealism. K.E.V.I.N.. And the way the show drove people crazy will be an amazing time capsule. Such a clear example of witless victims being led in a social panic by superstitious undefinable fears vaguely referred to as "messages" and "woke". It'll be something talking with a generation raised on Inside Out talking about show history in 10 years as they assert their cultural presence.

Secret Invasion I couldn't even make it through the first episode. And I've tried three times.
Loki was mesmerizing. What an ending!

Echo, I agree wasn't as developed as I would've liked. I didn't mind the change to ancestor power and thought that was perfect. There just should've been some hints of other factions involved with it for worldbuilding, variations and context. Visionary powers, commune with animals and elemental spirits, that sort of thing. Rivalries. Crossover into the witches and wizards territory. Maybe give her glowing eyes. And with ShangChi there was the guy with the sword arm. She could have a tech leg, maybe not as advanced, but Kingsman. Costume was meh but that can change too if they swing back around to her.

Thought Kate would fit in better with Yelena with their established rapport, but could be fun to see what she does with Kamala. And it's not like they can't meet up again anyhow. Jaques was a character in Hawkeye I hope shows up again.

They really gotta start stitching all these patches together as they figure out what they want to leave out.

I'd say Boba Fett was slightly better than Acolyte on the grounds it understood the assignment better but executed badly.

Last edited:
Looking at this chart

fQE3DqT.jpeg

All those increases are basically can be attributed to fanservice where they introduced some well known characters.

tkscz

Here, let me help you with some copium:

Inspired by Outlaws I wanted to re-watch some SW so I settled for Episode IX (don't know why). What a steaming pile of thrash, Jesus Christ.
Of course it's Kotaku. I don't get it, why do they feel this overwhelming need to point a finger at youtubers whose views are only, at the very MOST, 0.7% of that of Disney+ subscribers.

D+ has around 153 million subscribers and the most the Acolyte could get was 14% of them for the first three episodes, then dropped to just 2.1% as the series continued (according to the original Deadline Article the first three episodes got 11 million views over five days then dropped over 30%). And obviously none of them were buying the merchandise, which is the most important part. People don't get that Star Wars stayed as relevant as it did because people bought the merch even through the 16 year gap between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. Clothing, books, toys, posters, costumes, VHS/DVDs. I know it was a gag in Space Balls but merch kept this franchise alive. Now they believe just watching something is enough to keep it going, they actually make fun of buying merchandise, as if having toys and stuff based on a property is a bad thing.

But no, can't blame the fact that the show was never going to recuperate it's $180 million budget. Just blame Youtubers who Disney doesn't even care about.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Of course it's Kotaku. I don't get it, why do they feel this overwhelming need to point a finger at youtubers whose views are only, at the very MOST, 0.7% of that of Disney+ subscribers.
These people are nuts. The other side of the coin is that IGN "journalist" crying about how her idiotic hit piece failed to cancel that Black Myth Wukong game. They actually think they are some kind of "thought leaders" and that the general public are listless simpletons that need go to them for wisdom.

It's not that complicated, they fucked up spaceships and space wizards, and sometimes it's good comedy to watch some YouTuber rant about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at this chart

fQE3DqT.jpeg

All those increases are basically can be attributed to fanservice where they introduced some well known characters.
I think BF is done. But going by the chart it had decent numbers and nicely trending up. Wonder why they dont do season 2. I dont follow the show, but did Mandalorian have to do with it?.... they kind of criss cross content so BF was always going to be limited in episodes?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think BF is done. But going by the chart it had decent numbers and nicely trending up. Wonder why they dont do season 2. I dont follow the show, but did Mandalorian have to do with it?.... they kind of criss cross content so BF was always going to be limited in episodes?
Fett spiked when they had 2 "lost episodes" of Mandalorian towards the end of it. Folks tuned in for Mando, definitely not for Fett.

The farther they stray from the "Lone Wolf and Cub" aspects of Mando the worse the show does, both narratively and audience reception. Memberberry spikes can only do so much.

DeaDPo0L84

The point of entertainment is to ENTERTAIN. If the story itself resolves around a certain topic that might lean into the culture or politics fine, but when the entire foundation of a show centers around identity politics and pushing a narrative in spite of the actual story it will NEVER be successful. Hopefully with the numerous projects that are failing due to this approach we can get back to simply making good movies and games and ignore the 2% of people who actually give a shit about all this nonsense.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
As much as I don't have any interest in The Acolyte, if it does get removed from D+ and buried, it'll just be another wake up call that streaming is not the answer for anything you value. Physical media is not obsolete, since companies cannot dictate your access to it. And Jack Sparrow performs a useful service to society by preserving digital media, too. There is no legal way to watch the Willow D+ show and there may never be. Next up, The Acolyte.
We overall have more access to media than we ever have had.

In the past even at the height of DVD sales loads of TV shows would be cancelled and never seen again, never released on physical, etc.

Now even most total flops are available indefinitely on their streaming service. At worst they get shopped around to another service.

And yeah there is that “even worse” scenario where they just get removed completely but it’s incredibly rare.

I’m a big physical media proponent too but there are thousands of streaming shows out there and the majority would never get a physical release under any circumstance past, present or future. Especially if the shows didn’t do well.

Last edited:

tkscz

700 signatures is probably the entire viewership :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Unless these fucks are going to put $1,000 a person on this petition, it will most definitely fall on def ears, but you know what, I'll keep up with it, see how it continues to do out of curiosity.

Edit: Right now it's at 7690, which is still a far cry from the 10 million it would need for Disney to consider it. The Collider article is also filled with copeium of the highest degree.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

It is dead dead

I'd like to know how much Acolyte merchandise was on the Disney store to begin with. A screenshot of that for a comparison would be good.

That being said, something about this screenshot almost feels more damning than the actual announcement of the Acolyte being cancelled. Like the show is being looked on as persona non grata; "not even the merchandise is worth keeping around".

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd like to know how much Acolyte merchandise was on the Disney store to begin with. A screenshot of that for a comparison would be good.

That being said, something about this screenshot almost feels more damning than the actual announcement of the Acolyte being cancelled. Like the show is being looked on as persona non grata; "not even the merchandise is worth keeping around".
I bet a lot of that stuff hadn't been made yet, but needed a minimum order to at least break even. If they weren't even gonna hit that then every sale COST them money, so best to limit the hemorrhaging. If they have a warehouse full of unsold merch there are channels for offloading it but they also don't want the "regular retail price" to be too easy to find or a "80% off!" sale of just that stuff. They may even just destroy the stuff to "not devalue the brand", plus they can probably write it all off on taxes because the game is rigged. Hopefully it's all still in China so at least we won't pollute the oceans shipping it over here to just be dumped.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Daamn, this was fast

I am still seeing the same t-shirts and sweaters they had since the show launched. If you're new to Star Wars merch, they mostly license their stuff out and don't really sell a whole lot on their own store. Just do a search on Amazon or any of the big collectible websites and you'll see a ton of Acolyte merch. Meanwhile the Disney store has nothing for Andor, barely anything for their most popular animated shows, etc.

TransTrender

Gold Member

If you have one of these nearby then you should see the Acolyte merch start stacking up eventually.

tkscz

I am still seeing the same t-shirts and sweaters they had since the show launched. If you're new to Star Wars merch, they mostly license their stuff out and don't really sell a whole lot on their own store. Just do a search on Amazon or any of the big collectible websites and you'll see a ton of Acolyte merch. Meanwhile the Disney store has nothing for Andor, barely anything for their most popular animated shows, etc.
My wife is huge into Disney and explained that Disney will just remove things off their store that isn't selling well enough and just allow second hand stores to sell them. So not surprised that's the case but anything Disney made themselves is pretty much gone but also is a way Disney says something failed.

Neon Xenon

Hastily-Made Fake Death Threat. Classy way to defend a show. Very normal behavior.

Now, the next time a conversation about toxic fans (related to Star Wars or otherwise) comes up with some people, this one instance is going to be brought up, right? Right?

Your username being "Fake" makes this funnier.

Toons

Thats disappointing. Was too long for its own good. Viewier retention wasn't there for 8 weeks. Is till enjoyed it and thing we should get more projects in this vein not based around nostalgia and connections to old characters.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Thats disappointing. Was too long for its own good. Viewier retention wasn't there for 8 weeks. Is till enjoyed it and thing we should get more projects in this vein not based around nostalgia and connections to old characters.

Agreed. Had to spoil myself by watching ScreenCrush breakdowns because my Disney Plus ended ... They need a better plan ...

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
My wife is huge into Disney and explained that Disney will just remove things off their store that isn't selling well enough and just allow second hand stores to sell them. So not surprised that's the case but anything Disney made themselves is pretty much gone but also is a way Disney says something failed.

I'm happy that show failed though

Was really disrespectful towards Star Wars

Last edited:

tkscz

Update on that Petition. It's at 25,000+, which is still .625% of the amount of people who watched the finale and no one has donated any money so.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I thought about all the meme magic a season 2 could bring and went ahead and signed the petition. I think you all should too. I think it would be real swell of Disney to be able to reap the financial windfall that a second season would bring as well.

BlackTron

Holy shit.

Nonehxc

D+ has around 153 million subscribers and the most the Acolyte could get was 14% of them for the first three episodes, then dropped to just 2.1% as the series continued (according to the original Deadline Article the first three episodes got 11 million views over five days then dropped over 30%). And obviously none of them were buying the merchandise, which is the most important part. People don't get that Star Wars stayed as relevant as it did because people bought the merch even through the 16 year gap between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. Clothing, books, toys, posters, costumes, VHS/DVDs. I know it was a gag in Space Balls but merch kept this franchise alive. Now they believe just watching something is enough to keep it going, they actually make fun of buying merchandise, as if having toys and stuff based on a property is a bad thing.

But no, can't blame the fact that the show was never going to recuperate it's $180 million budget. Just blame Youtubers who Disney doesn't even care about.
That's the Kotaku chick...err, I meant Chuck, that has tattooed on her left thight...

'All men are enemies'

🫠

Neon Xenon

Take a look into the person that wrote that article. She lives for these moments to make herself relevant.
Yeah, I get the desire to point and laugh at Alyssa Mercante, but more people should should realize that it's not worth wasting any sort of time or effort on people like that (where you can't tell if she's clickbaiting, delusional, or just stupid), or the shitty site that she writes for. Kotaku has been garbage for years, nothing has changed, it's fine to ignore them entirely.

8bitpill

Yeah, I get the desire to point and laugh at Alyssa Mercante, but more people should should realize that it's not worth wasting any sort of time or effort on people like that (where you can't tell if she's clickbaiting, delusional, or just stupid), or the shitty site that she writes for. Kotaku has been garbage for years, nothing has changed, it's fine to ignore them entirely.
That is the correct way to go about it. Just ignore them.

With the way she has been parading around the internet these past couple of years screams attention seeking.

Top Bottom