• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Acolyte Season Two

Neon Xenon

Update on that Petition. It's at 25,000+, which is still .625% of the amount of people who watched the finale and no one has donated any money so.

Man, it's one thing when people petition for a cancelled show that's been well-received all around. But with this, it comes off like just another "Look at this wacky online petition started by weirdos" moment.

At this point? Bring on Andor Season 2. I'm in the middle of watching it (Episode 3) and I genuinely enjoy a lot about what's being presented. It just feels good to watch.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
99 Percent of Disney Star Wars has been boring as hell

They sure make stuff that don't grab me at all..
I saw a few episodes. I was deep in my THC pen, but very much coherent. In fact, it made it more watchable, if anything.
This thing is just fucking terrible. It is literally.. a Feminists Vision of what Star Wars should be. It is totally female driven and dominated and in an attempt to hide that, they put in a male badass named, Qimir. Qimir and Sol were the best part of the Acolyte. Period. Sol being the weaker. The action scenes were stupid sometimes. I can't put a finger on it... it's like you can see the choreography rather than see this seamless fight that looks organic? Hard for me to describe, but that comes to mind.

The fights between Qimir and Sol were the highlights of the entire show and even then! They refused to push boundaries and take things to the next level. I blame the showrunner. Bitch has a blank canvas to do her thing, a fucking Dream of any avid Star Wars fan and she puts this out... bankrolled by Disney. Ah, but... it's 2024. Totally understandable. Just tell me it's the year 2024 and I can understand just about anything, except advanced physics or fluid dynamics. Which I only have a rudimentary understanding of.

I will also complain how the showrunner... put her fucking Wife in the movie!! What!? Her voice, too.. every time I had to hear her speak, I would laugh uncontrollably, perhaps it was the Delta 9 hitting, but no, it was just genuine (Probably unintended, too) comedy! If you look at this as an alternate reality where Star Wars is set, it's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't even consider any of it cannon.

TLDR; show sucks as canonical Star Wars, should be viewed as a Comedic, Multiversale take on Star Wars.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Disney is cleaning house in other areas as well.

Cancelled TWO Ron Moore developed shows, Swiss Family Robinson which was gonna be "modern reimagining" and we all know what that means, as well as the Society of Explorers tie-in to the revamped Jungle Cruise attraction (which had Ryan Reynolds attached [to a film version at least] at one point). They also canned the Bryce Howard led "Witch Mountain" which would have had one of those ridiculous gender fluid characters. Howards "Flight of the Navigator" remake has also been in dev hell for years as well.

For all the silly stuff Disney DOES greenlight, from rando artsy types, they seem to really sleep on stuff from (fairly) strong IPs with showrunners with a strong track record. I think Kennedy has a MUCH lower standard and a crazy high budget versus Disney proper if they can't get stuff from Ron fricking Moore off the ground! Bryce is a pretty solid director was well, you'd think Disney would give her a freer hand.

Cancelled TWO Ron Moore developed shows, Swiss Family Robinson which was gonna be "modern reimagining" and we all know what that means, as well as the Society of Explorers tie-in to the revamped Jungle Cruise attraction (which had Ryan Reynolds attached [to a film version at least] at one point). They also canned the Bryce Howard led "Witch Mountain" which would have had one of those ridiculous gender fluid characters. Howards "Flight of the Navigator" remake has also been in dev hell for years as well.

For all the silly stuff Disney DOES greenlight, from rando artsy types, they seem to really sleep on stuff from (fairly) strong IPs with showrunners with a strong track record. I think Kennedy has a MUCH lower standard and a crazy high budget versus Disney proper if they can't get stuff from Ron fricking Moore off the ground! Bryce is a pretty solid director was well, you'd think Disney would give her a freer hand.
They should just stop making terrible shows that nobody asked for and stop abusing the Panderverse.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

CrippledGod

Banned
Jesus, Amanda, just keeps digging for publicity.

It was simply a bad show. I love star wars, I can defend even mediocre stuff like Ahsoka to death and I don't care for culture wars but bad script, wooden acting and pacing would be a death knell for any show. Especially if that show does costs 100s of millions of dollars.

Take the L. Move on.

That's also important for the rest of us, stop giving free publicity to this garbage. Her character in this show was the last interesting part of it. Her acting was mediocre at best. Giving her free exposure would just give her more roles to push her message in.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

It’s the millions of alt-right toxic bigoted Star Wars fans that got The Acolyte cancelled, apparently. Or maybe the show was not very good. Either way!

I long for the good old days when both studio executives and creatives would blame themselves when a show didn't land with the public. I'm so f***ing tired of the "blame the audience" spiel from these nitwits and their enablers in the media.

StueyDuck

It’s the millions of alt-right toxic bigoted Star Wars fans that got The Acolyte cancelled, apparently. Or maybe the show was not very good. Either way!
By her logic doesn't that meant that only alt-right people saw the show, so she should technically be happy it's cancelled then?

I recently found out that a friend of mine and their team were actually contracted for the show and they say that the team behind the acolyte were genuinely just awful, not nice people to work with. Apparently there were many chips on many shoulders making this show and i guess you can see with the final product.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stanberg should make another music video about this, her dancing, bouncing mammouth tits (cit) are the only salvageable thing about her.

Saber

That bitch has zero introspection. Gonna reuse that same monologue in her entire career, which I hope its short.

Ulysses 31

Despite all that, they're doubling down on DEI.

I mean, this flawless logic is coming from someone who made a diss track aimed at her own show's potential audience. Also from someone who cannot stop bashing "white people", who knows who that even specifically is, while being half white and from a rich-ass white family.

Reality isn't her forté.

I mean, this flawless logic is coming from someone who made a diss track aimed at her own show's potential audience. Also from someone who cannot stop bashing "white people", who knows who that even specifically is, while being half white and from a rich-ass white family.

Reality isn't her forté.
That diss track was probably the single dumbest thing I have ever seen or heard in my entire life.

RAÏSanÏa

I read about the he/they dialogue in the show.

If that was meant to convey transhumanist ideas the show fumbled it.

It's difficult to imagine many people have given much contemplative thought to the Theseus problem applied to consciousness.

Given education levels across generations it might be an easier approach for audiences with a species of fungus, like Mi-go. Something with an insane amount of genders that simple roles aren't based on them so they seem genderless to other species.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
By her logic doesn't that meant that only alt-right people saw the show, so she should technically be happy it's cancelled then?

I recently found out that a friend of mine and their team were actually contracted for the show and they say that the team behind the acolyte were genuinely just awful, not nice people to work with. Apparently there were many chips on many shoulders making this show and i guess you can see with the final product.
Many of these groups are full of hate for people and resentment and it does show indeed and it has the results that were expected. They started trolling and insulting their audience early on and yes I think they dislike their audience with a passion. Great creative recipe.

StueyDuck

Many of these groups are full of hate for people and resentment and it does show indeed and it has the results that were expected. They started trolling and insulting their audience early on and yes I think they dislike their audience with a passion. Great creative recipe.
This is true,

but the grievances my friend gave were literally just being shitty to be employed by, terrible project leads and managers with shitty work ethics and essentially bullies in the work space. I can't get into the exact situation that happened which is a bit of a doozie because of any scenario that this did somehow reach ears and eyes of those that it shouldn't. But i don't think their team will accept any projects from Disney again after this. Essentially slave labor is how they put it

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is true,

but the grievances my friend gave were literally just being shitty to be employed by, terrible project leads and managers with shitty work ethics and essentially bullies in the work space. I can't get into the exact situation that happened which is a bit of a doozie because of any scenario that this did somehow reach ears and eyes of those that it shouldn't. But i don't think their team will accept any projects from Disney again after this. Essentially slave labor is how they put it
Even worse lol… omg and these are the enlightened and empathetic ones 😂. Sigh…

jason10mm

Gold Member
Stop trying to redo something brilliant. Why would they want to remake something as beautiful and amazing as this 80s classic.
Thats how they think.

Rather than see the potential in an interesting, but flawed, IP, they just see something that DID work and figure they can use it as bait for fans whilst serving them something entirely different. I don't know that the story of the Navigator is quite a sacred cow to me, and the novelty of the ship would be low in todays CG saturated space, but I also wouldn't trust writers today to not inject a bunch of anti-colonialist claptrap into a tale of a ship that scours the galaxy looking for new stuff to collect and experiment on.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was once offered a job as a sign language interpreter on a Disney show along with basically being an assistant to an actor... My salary would have been $10/hr for up to 12 hours a day of work

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I love Marvel and Star wars ... Before and after the Disney purchase. I enjoyed parts of The Acolyte until my subscription ended (lost my job) but even though I didn't take the job with them, I'll still watch what they put out with an open mind, like any other studio.

I don't see a "message" like some of y'all see. I don't even see what's so bad about The Proud Family clips that were posted because the GROUP slam poetry clip didn't have a lie or exaggeration in it. It's what the black community has been saying for decades... It's just put on a mainstream stage in cartoon form and is foreign concept to anyone who's never heard of this before. Even the concept of white fragility, which is kind of a bad name and may be off putting ... But it refers to a white person feeling uncomfortable, defensive and/or dismissive when witnessing discussions about racism, racial injustice as it affects people of color.

That said, I can see what many are saying about Amandla's (not a typo... Her name is South African meaning "power"... It was one of the first words Mandela said after being freed) acting ... Especially as The other sister in the beginning. I thought the former Padawan sister had a bit more energy to her, though, so she didn't seem so wooden.

The WAY the story progressed is what I had the problem with. It was too stilted. It was incorporating flashbacks in an almost haphazard way, which didn't help to advance the story. Granted, I hadn't seen all episodes yet but I will when I get D+ back. It was better than She-Hulk from what I saw, though. Slightly better than Obi-Wan...

I can criticize a show or movie based on the merits and on how it makes me feel... I'm critical of every show I watch but I don't hate watch anything. I take it episode by episode.

Amandla's been in Hollywood since she played Rue in Hunger Games... This won't be the end of her career. She's only in her 20s. She has room to grow.

I love Marvel and Star wars ... Before and after the Disney purchase. I enjoyed parts of The Acolyte until my subscription ended (lost my job) but even though I didn't take the job with them, I'll still watch what they put out with an open mind, like any other studio.

I don't see a "message" like some of y'all see. I don't even see what's so bad about The Proud Family clips that were posted because the GROUP slam poetry clip didn't have a lie or exaggeration in it. It's what the black community has been saying for decades... It's just put on a mainstream stage in cartoon form and is foreign concept to anyone who's never heard of this before. Even the concept of white fragility, which is kind of a bad name and may be off putting ... But it refers to a white person feeling uncomfortable, defensive and/or dismissive when witnessing discussions about racism, racial injustice as it affects people of color.

That said, I can see what many are saying about Amandla's (not a typo... Her name is South African meaning "power"... It was one of the first words Mandela said after being freed) acting ... Especially as The other sister in the beginning. I thought the former Padawan sister had a bit more energy to her, though, so she didn't seem so wooden.

The WAY the story progressed is what I had the problem with. It was too stilted. It was incorporating flashbacks in an almost haphazard way, which didn't help to advance the story. Granted, I hadn't seen all episodes yet but I will when I get D+ back. It was better than She-Hulk from what I saw, though. Slightly better than Obi-Wan...

I can criticize a show or movie based on the merits and on how it makes me feel... I'm critical of every show I watch but I don't hate watch anything. I take it episode by episode.

Amandla's been in Hollywood since she played Rue in Hunger Games... This won't be the end of her career. She's only in her 20s. She has room to grow.
She was good in The Hunger Games because she barely had any speaking lines. She is not a good actor. Her acting gets gradually worse until it just becomes unbearable toward the end. Since you haven't seen the entire show, I won't spoil anything for you. The show had bad writing, bad direction, bad acting (Leslie's wife with no acting experience was one of the characters, Vernestra), and it upended and crapped on decades of established Star Wars lore. The fact that anyone was gay or whatever is quite frankly irrelevant. Nobody cares about. People just care about a good show, with good characters, and a good story. This show had a 180 million dollar budget. The show actually starts out okay, and then drops off a cliff starting at episode 3. The viewership also dropped off a cliff after episode 3 as well, which is why the show got canceled.

What sucks is the entire premise for this show was a cool idea. It was just executed terribly. Amandla just made an 8 minute video blaming everyone else but herself. She also made that ridiculous "diss track" music video where she called everyone racist for not liking the show. The team behind this show continuously insulted the entire Star Wars fanbase for not liking the show instead of taking any sort of accountability for its failures. They also did a bait and switch with Carrie-Anne Moss to draw people in and she dies in the first 5 minutes of her being on screen.

I was not one of the people that caused the drop off. Despite all the nonsense coming from the team behind this show insulting everyone and being generally insufferable, I gave it a chance to the bitter end, and the show ended on a comically bad note. There are some that still enjoyed it, but most did not.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
She was good in The Hunger Games because she barely had any speaking lines. She is not a good actor. Her acting gets gradually worse until it just becomes unbearable toward the end. Since you haven't seen the entire show, I won't spoil anything for you. The show had bad writing, bad direction, bad acting (Leslie's wife with no acting experience was one of the characters, Vernestra), and it upended and crapped on decades of established Star Wars lore. The fact that anyone was gay or whatever is quite frankly irrelevant. Nobody cares about. People just care about a good show, with good characters, and a good story. This show had a 180 million dollar budget. The show actually starts out okay, and then drops off a cliff starting at episode 3. The viewership also dropped off a cliff after episode 3 as well, which is why the show got canceled.

What sucks is the entire premise for this show was a cool idea. It was just executed terribly. Amandla just made an 8 minute video blaming everyone else but herself. She also made that ridiculous "diss track" music video where she called everyone racist for not liking the show. The team behind this show continuously insulted the entire Star Wars fanbase for not liking the show instead of taking any sort of accountability for its failures. They also did a bait and switch with Carrie-Anne Moss to draw people in and she dies in the first 5 minutes of her being on screen.

I was not one of the people that caused the drop off. Despite all the nonsense coming from the team behind this show insulting everyone and being generally insufferable, I gave it a chance to the bitter end, and the show ended on a comically bad note. There are some that still enjoyed it, but most did not.

Dagnabbit! So the actress playing Vernestra wasn't even an actress? WOW!

I appreciate how you broke it down. Dagnabbit, why can't everyone have this level of discourse?!

Dagnabbit! So the actress playing Vernestra wasn't even an actress? WOW!
Nepotism is sometimes okay, if the person has talent. But yeah, every time she was on screen, I just rolled my eyes. You may very well like the show, I don't know. I'm a giant Star Wars nerd (well ... sci fi nerd in general) and despite all the letdowns of content being put out by Disney lately, I keep coming back for more, having a flicker of hope. The Skeleton Crew looks like it might actually be pretty good, but I will forever remain cautiously optimistic with Disney from now on.

I appreciate how you broke it down. Dagnabbit, why can't everyone have this level of discourse?!
No problem. Give the rest of the show a go. But you'll see what I mean by the end of the show. You're going to feel like your intelligence is intentionally being insulted. But I enjoy stupid and cringey things all the time, so you may like it. I actually tend to enjoy a lot of things that people hate. I liked The Marvels, for instance. The singing planet had me laughing so hard that I was on the floor and unable to recover for a solid 5 minutes.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I was once offered a job as a sign language interpreter on a Disney show along with basically being an assistant to an actor... My salary would have been $10/hr for up to 12 hours a day of work
I was once offered a job as a rodeo clown astronaut but then somebody on GAF got close to me in DMs and bullshitted me into donating money on GoFundMe.

He was "short on rent" and previously used the app to beg for a PS5.

The kind of lazy shameless predator who hides behind a smile.

When I would not answer him anymore he DMed me saying "I'm in hospital now" which was an insult to me as I did 12 chemo sessions to get rid of my cancer back in 2018.

An insult to anyone who's been through real hardship.

DeafTourette DeafTourette don't you dare poke anyone in here with your scams.

I don't want you banned, just stick with your good guy facade and innocent lies.

And please don't DM me, I'm in hospital now.

I was once offered a job as a rodeo clown astronaut but then somebody on GAF got close to me in DMs and bullshitted me into donating money on GoFundMe.

When I would not answer him anymore he DMed me saying "I'm in hospital now" which was an insult to me as I did 12 chemo sessions to get rid of my cancer back in 2018.

I don't want you banned, just stick with your good guy facade and innocent lies.

james franco wtf GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Dude... What?! Everything I said was true. I'm sorry you thought I was scamming you but everything was true. WOW!

Whatever.

And beg for a PS5?! No I didn't!

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Dude... What?! Everything I said was true. I'm sorry you thought I was scamming you but everything was true. WOW!

Whatever.

And beg for a PS5?! No I didn't!
After a good night's sleep I want to apologise for my behavior.
I should've kept that info to myself.

My cancer from 2018 is back.
I'm currently undergoing chemo to remove 4 spots on my lungs and was a bit too much emotional.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

And she was a part of why it wasn’t any good. The bad acting nearly across the board is also just damning to the show runners / directors.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
After a good night's sleep I want to apologise for my behavior.
I should've kept that info to myself.

My cancer from 2018 is back.
I'm currently undergoing chemo to remove 4 spots on my lungs and was a bit too much emotional.

It's ok. Accepted. You just focus on getting well! I like seeing your thoughts on things!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Rage Bait YouTubers checking in! To say that if a show is bad and nobody watches it, it's going to be cancelled. He can't keep getting away with this!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Show cost $230M US, not $180M. The 180 thrown around was UK pounds. Converted to USD it's $230M. lol

tkscz

Show cost $230M US, not $180M. The 180 thrown around was UK pounds. Converted to USD it's $230M. lol

And exactly where did all this money go to?

Also update on that Petition, it peaked at 80,700 signatures. That's 2.02% of the amount of viewers that watched the finale. At this point it gets less than 100 signatures a day and those can easily be assumed to be puppet accounts and bots.

Which is funny because they still swear they are the majority voice in the SW fandom and can never seem to reach even a million people.

Top Bottom