• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No backward compatibility in Xbox 2 (Article)

element

It never wore off on my GB. I still have GB carts that I occasionally play.
Well that is most due the quality of the graphics really didn't change as signifigantly as they did on the home consoles. I can play the same tetris I got in 1991, and have fun. Where I can't play many PSX games I enjoyed, because they look like crap.

I understand the sense of added value, but I think that sense of value only goes so far. Especially when there will be some awesome games. My arguement is really only for people who say 'i won't buy it if it doesn't have BC', yet those people would probably end up buying it after launch or at the first price drop.

Which translates into cutting costs. What a wicked game semantics plays.
yeah. but the perception is MS is cutting hardware features making the system less powerful to save money. which isn't true.

jedimike

element said:
Well that is most due the quality of the graphics really didn't change as signifigantly as they did on the home consoles. I can play the same tetris I got in 1991, and have fun. Where I can't play many PSX games I enjoyed, because they look like crap.

I understand the sense of added value, but I think that sense of value only goes so far. Especially when there will be some awesome games. My arguement is really only for people who say 'i won't buy it if it doesn't have BC', yet those people would probably end up buying it after launch or at the first price drop.

Sure, people will eventually give in and buy the console... or will they? They will if MS has superior graphics, superior games, and superior features.

Right now, I'm not seeing it.

MS needs BC, they need High def DVD playback, and they need mass storage.

I know they have BC figured out, but are debating if they want to pay for it. You tell your boys they better put that shit in or the media is going to make a circus out of it.

Subitai

jedimike said:
Sure, people will eventually give in and buy the console... or will they? They will if MS has superior graphics, superior games, and superior features.

Right now, I'm not seeing it.

MS needs BC, they need High def DVD playback, and they need mass storage.

I know they have BC figured out, but are debating if they want to pay for it. You tell your boys they better put that shit in or the media is going to make a circus out of it.
I think they should pay for it. If only to get the analysts off their back.

FightyF

Banned
20 Million is pretty damn big. It's a great way to link your current customers with your new machine. Why do you think it was so easy for people not to buy a GC. There's a clean break without BC. It's much easier to retain existing customers if you can give what they already have more value.

Add more value. Value meaning giving BC without any extra costs.

We've already went over this, adding BC will add costs. As I said, the best solution is to have BC done via emulation, but if you can't have it going 100%, don't bother with it at all.

And why doesn't Xbox play cassette tapes? Crap, my microwave didn't come with a built in toaster. My fucking car doesn't mow the lawn.

Well it seems you want added value with your Xbox, your microwave and your car, but I'll point it out again, it doesn't make sense.

Why did you buy an Xbox? Though it did not play cassette tapes...why did you choose to buy it?

For the same reason, it's not a stretch that people will buy the Xenon. Whether it can play cassette tapes, or if it is BC, people will buy it for the same reason you bought your Xbox.

element

People will buy it because it will have great games. Maybe not at launch, but the system will have great games that will make people want the system.
they need High def DVD playback
They don't need HighDef DVD playback, since many people won't need that feature in a game system. It is nice, but such an elitest feature, that it really doesn't make sense in a consumer game system.
they need mass storage.
Who says they won't?

Top Bottom