• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think I'm done with the whiners in the other thread so I'll start posting in here with folks who can simply enjoy the series for what it is, a television series.

This reaffirms my decision to not read the books before watching the show, it rarely works out well. I remember reading Fellowship of the Ring (which I had already read numerous times over the years) just before watching the movie and I spent most of the movie consciously and subconsciously comparing it to the book and being disappointed. I enjoyed the next two movies much more not have the other books fresh in my mind.

Nizz

Maybe Joffrey is impotent or can only get off from hurting someone.
Either way, he will torture Sansa in the bedroom,the Hound will hear it from outside, will come in and tear Joffrey in two. The End.

(assuming there will be a wedding before the armies are fighting at King's Landing)

edit: btw I hate those tumblr gifs
That would actually be pretty awesome. :D

I bet it is full of warlock plushies.

Score.

She will take them to Westeros, position them strategically outside of King's Landing, King Chicken Face will see them from the wall and mistake them for real warlocks due to the distance making it difficult to ascertain whther they are tiny or just really far away. He surrenders and Dany takes the Iron Throne.

-FIN-

This reaffirms my decision to not read the books before watching the show, it rarely works out well.

I'm in the same boat as many who have bailed out of the other thread due to ridiculous nit-picking. I've read the first four books, but can enjoy the show for what it is, diversions and all. Sure, there are a few things that could have been done differently, but it's not worth the pedantic arguments.

*Obama leans into the microphone after a rousing speech*

[whispering softly]"....Hodor."

*crowd goes fucking wild*

I would die.

The only interesting character left in the Kelly C story is Jorah, I fucking love that guy. Dany can go fuck herself, the black guy is definitely a liar and his safe is as empty as that creepy bald guy's heart.

QFMFT. Fuck her, and the terrible performances by the actress who plays her.

big ander

This kind of might have been the best episode of the series. It had something for everyone. Arya being amazing with Tywin. Robb trying to hold down the fort. Jamie and Cersei both being cold hard badasses at their most vulnerable. Tyrion continuing to navigate political minefields. Theon becoming more of a villain, which will make his consequences (please be death) all the more awesome. Jon's cootie allergies. Bran, Hodor (Hodor), and Asha (and Rickon I guess) traipsing across the north. Dany finding she was nothing but a pawn. Loved it all.

For you guys talking about picking up the books, I'd say give the audio books a try. They're very nice to listen to while driving or at work or what have you, and it's much less time consuming as reading through - for me at least. And Roy Dotrice gives a superb performance on them, with many different voices for the many characters in a chapter/scene/etc. I bought the first two books and read through the first, and to be honest the audio books are easier to follow for me due to Roy's voice acting. Credit to George Martin though, as some of the scenes in the show felt as if I'd already seen them, it's so gdamn well written.

Kinyou

slap4gjjf4.gif

Forget the spoilers there, half of that other thread has declared the series dead, a joke, and the last episode was the bottom of the barrel :p Mostly because they are mad that TV only viewer aren't going to get the exact same perceptions of the show and characters that they got from the book.

Ark

Forget the spoilers there, half of that other thread has declared the series dead, a joke, and the last episode was the bottom of the barrel :p Mostly because they are mad that TV only viewer aren't going to get the exact same perceptions of the show and characters that they got from the book.

I'm reading the second book at the moment, those guys in the other thread are just being spoiled, sulky bitches.

TCRS

Banned

I hate to say it, and as hot as Emilia Clarke is, her performance as an actress is mediocre at best.

edit: the other thread is in full on meltdown. I've read all five books, but I enjoy this thread much more than the other one. I won't spoil anything no worries.

The funny thing is, what those people are too short sighted to realize, is that if HBO veers too far off the established path Martin's writing then they'll paint themselves into a corner.... especially since the book series isn't even near finished yet.

I'm guessing any storyline changes taking place right now are due to budget and/or television time constraints and will be short and self-contained within the season (ie, without repercussions from season to season). In other words, I doubt HBO is doing anything as drastic as, say, on the level of "hey! what if we keep Ned Stark alive?" Then they'd have to write for Ned Stark in future storylines that are based on the scenario of him being long dead. I feel like HBO is still getting from Point A to Point B with the storylines, but if going down path TUV instead of XYZ means saving on budget and time (but doesn't affect Points B or C or D... etc) then I'm all for it.

Game of Thrones looks to be reaching that level of Wire/Sopranos level of public and pop culture consciousness (especially in the meme-age) that every network absolutely covets. Doing anything to seriously damage the long term prospects of the show does not fit with the author or the network, and hasn't been HBO's M.O. in the past.

I think all fans (of the show, of the books, of both) will be fine once all is said and done.

Iksenpets

Banned
I hate to say it, and as hot as Emilia Clarke is, her performance as an actress is mediocre at best.

edit: the other thread is in full on meltdown. I've read all five books, but I enjoy this thread much more than the other one. I won't spoil anything no worries.

Seriously. I've read the books and I'm not going to post anything in this thread more than this, because I don't want any of my book knowledge to color my posts in here, but this is my go to thread for lurking now. The other thread is awful with the whining. Really sucks all the fun out of it to see people whining about trivial changes. A big thanks from me to all you non book readers in here for keeping the discussion fun so that I have something to read about this show that isn't completely depressing.

People don't know what an adaptation is?

I'm going to say no. the complaints are seem to stem of specifcs. Characters not saying specific lines or not being in a specific place at a specific time. Some people seem to be losing their shit because even if the story and character get to the same place, they aren't taking the exact same road.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Too much whimpering. Here are my random musings and picks from last week's episode:

• Hodor time was brief, but unusually awesome. Hodor!
  • Ygritte. Oh. My. God. I totally understand why book readers cherish this character so much. I'm not familiar with her actress, but she plays crazy redhead to a tee. Asshole gingers are best gingers. Poor stupid Snow.
  • Where the fuck is Ghost? I was hoping for him to show up at the end of the episode and tear shit up, but the little shit seems content with chasing rabbits and pissing the snow.
  • Tywin likes Arya, but don't believe for a second that he wouldn't kill her without blinking. Did anybody else notice how he made sure that Arya ate his food? It wasn't strongly implied, but I think that after the dart incident he was checking for poison without telling her...
  • Arya is too smart for her own good... except when she is not being a dumbass. "I eat a lot, I just don't grow". C'mon girl. A commoner doesn't "eat a lot", specially in the harsh North.
  • Sansa as made a total 180º for me. I'm also not ashamed to say that I find her gorgeous with her hair down. And damn tall. Girl is almost as tall as the Hound, god damn. She has no small shoulders either.
  • Roose Bolton doesn't like lady Talisa very much.
9EEbl.jpg

• She's a spy. Totes. Or at least she is posing as somebody else. She didn't like pleased when Robb told her to visit the Maester of the conquered citadel instead of just sending him a list of medical supplies.
  • Jaime's actor is killing it. Quite literally.
  • Oh, Cat, what kind of stupid shit are you planning now?
  • Oh man.
uN1qb.jpg

• Theon didn't kill the Stark boys, that's clear. It should be evident that those were the charred remains of the orphans sent to take care of that poor farmer's herd. In any case, Theon's desire to prove himself through fear is going to backfire something FIERCE. Winterfell's peasants are pissed off and Roose Bolton's bastard is on his way. Things are going to get damn messy if Yara doesn't arrive with those 500 men requested by Theon. At best I can see him running away tail firmly between his legs.

Oddly enough, the preview for the next episode makes it look as similarly slow. I imagine that shit will hit the fan in the last two episodes.

aceface

The funny thing is, what those people are too short sighted to realize, is that if HBO veers too far off the established path Martin's writing then they'll paint themselves into a corner.... especially since the book series isn't even near finished yet.

I'm guessing any storyline changes taking place right now are due to budget and/or television time constraints and will be short and self-contained within the season (ie, without repercussions from season to season). In other words, I doubt HBO is doing anything as drastic as, say, on the level of "hey! what if we keep Ned Stark alive?" Then they'd have to write for Ned Stark in future storylines that are based on the scenario of him being long dead. I feel like HBO is still getting from Point A to Point B with the storylines, but if going down path TUV instead of XYZ means saving on budget and time (but doesn't affect Points B or C or D... etc) then I'm all for it.

Game of Thrones looks to be reaching that level of Wire/Sopranos level of public and pop culture consciousness (especially in the meme-age) that every network absolutely covets. Doing anything to seriously damage the long term prospects of the show does not fit with the author or the network, and hasn't been HBO's M.O. in the past.

I think all fans (of the show, of the books, of both) will be fine once all is said and done.

Yes this is the case especially since GRRM has a lot of oversight on the show and approves all changes. He goes on and on in his blog about how awesome the show runners are doing and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

Zeliard

Didn't GRRM also used to work in television? I imagine he knows exactly what the producers/writers of GoT are going through and can sympathize.

TCRS

Banned
[*]Sansa as made a total 180º for me. I'm also not ashamed to say that I find her gorgeous with her hair down. And damn tall. Girl is almost as tall as the Hound, god damn. She has no small shoulders either.

Absolutely. Last season everytime Sansa showed up I was like "OH GOD SANSA AGAIN! MIMIMIMI!!" But I'm really liking her this season.

This episode was brilliant. Game of Dialogues. Great dialogues I might add.

Didn't GRRM also used to work in television? I imagine he knows exactly what the producers/writers of GoT are going through and can sympathize.

My post form the other thread:

GRRM started writing ASOIAF because he was tired of TV budgets hampering his creativity and storytelling. He wanted to tell a story and make it is as big as he wanted. And now HBO is trying to put exactly that story onto TV. Kind of ironic.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm going to say no. the complaints are seem to stem of specifcs. Characters not saying specific lines or not being in a specific place at a specific time. Some people seem to be losing their shit because even if the story and character get to the same place, they aren't taking the exact same road.

The big legit complaints are not of this fashion.

That said those complaints/reasons do not belong in this thread, people are already sloppy enough with spoilers as is.

C'mon people, c'mon!

Lets discuss how Hodor did not hang dong anymore and how Arya should dance like that gif if she kills someone of her list.

Kinyou

C'mon people, c'mon!

Lets discuss how Hodor did not hang dong anymore and how Arya should dance like that gif if she kills someone of her list.
I wonder who will be the last name on her "list". After all did she kind of waste the second one. Though I also wonder if the Brotherhood wont just take Tywin out themselves (they'd certainly have reason to)

Nizz

I wonder who will be the last name on her "list". After all did she kind of waste the second one. Though I also wonder if the Brotherhood wont just take Tywin out themselves (they'd certainly have reason to)
I saw someone else mention something about viewers learning more about The Brotherhood but I seem to have missed it. :/

Kinyou

I saw someone else mention something about viewers learning more about The Brotherhood but I seem to have missed it. :/
It was just one sentence I think. Tywin inspected the arrow (that the one officier got killed with last episode) and mentioned that this sort of poison is usually used by the brotherhood.

Tywin needs to live long enough to be completely dehumanised. Right now he is way too likeable.

In all fairness, even though we didn't see him much in the first season, he was exactly the same way he is now. Pragmatic, logical, and forward thinking (think back to the scene when he scolds Jaime while skinning the deer).

The reason your perception has changed is because he is interacting with a fan-favorite character, and one of the very few that is (for the most part) morally laudable.

It was just one sentence I think. Tywin inspected the arrow (that the one officier got killed with last episode) and mentioned that this sort of poison is usually used by the brotherhood.

He also derided them for calling themselves the "Brotherhood Without Banners".

Nizz

Thanks. I can't believe I missed that. I remember him standing at the window and smelling the dart. I just didn't remember hearing him mention the Brotherhood.

Nizz

I'm going to have to watch the episode again. I only saw it once on Sunday. I'm sure it'll be on again some time tonight on one of the HBOs.

gutshot

Yes this is the case especially since GRRM has a lot of oversight on the show and approves all changes. He goes on and on in his blog about how awesome the show runners are doing and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

This part is untrue. He has some input, yes, but he does not have final say on any of the decisions related to the show.

Enosh

"well this waiting sucks, I am going to rewatch season 1, about 1 episode per day to make it easier"
2 days latter
"fuck I am out of episodes"

big ander

Absolutely. Last season everytime Sansa showed up I was like "OH GOD SANSA AGAIN! MIMIMIMI!!" But I'm really liking her this season.

This episode was brilliant. Game of Dialogues. Great dialogues I might add.

My post form the other thread:

I feel like you still have a spoiler in this post? It's tagged but you still can't do that.

In fact, why are book readers in here at all? What are you doing?

I feel like you still have a spoiler in this post? It's tagged but you still can't do that.

Well I think it's okay if you read the first book... but yeah book 2 readers need to stay the fuck out. Plenty of people did dumb shit back in the season 1 thread which made me leave.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I like the way this was handled. Basically the first person named was a throwaway because she wasn't really thinking about it and probably didn't even believe he would go through with it. The second name was a panic situation where she simply HAD to have him killed even if in the grand scheme he was a nobody, and now she's got 1 name left and a lot of people who deserve to die, she has to really use it wisely.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This part is untrue. He has some input, yes, but he does not have final say on any of the decisions related to the show.

From a practical standpoint, it makes little sense to change the plot without his oversight since he has control of the overall plot direction and what is and isn't important.

The "book reader" thread became insufferable due to constant bitching about things not being identical to the book.

Ryck

I was reading this thread and I notice a lot of people saying how Theon was a good guy and what not and it made me think of a scene in season one. I went back to watch it and it was pretty fantastic.

Its a scene with Jory and Jaime and in it Jaime remarks about how weird it was seeing Theon at Winterfell. Jory says something like "Oh Theon he's a good guy" and Jaime says " I doubt it".

So awesome watching that scene in hindsight... guess Jaime had him pegged all along..

TCRS

Banned
I don't think it was a book spoiler, but I've deleted that part altogether.

Anyway...

tumblr_m40a7y5S0y1qb9ftxo1_500.gif

edit:
Oh, I see what you mean. I apologise.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was reading this thread and I notice a lot of people saying how Theon was a good guy and what not and it made me think of a scene in season one. I went back to watch it and it was pretty fantastic.

Its a scene with Jory and Jaime and in it Jaime remarks about how weird it was seeing Theon at Winterfell. Jory says something like "Oh Theon he's a good guy" and Jaime says " I doubt it".

So awesome watching that scene in hindsight... guess Jaime had him pegged all along..

I had him pegged since this scene

BiYVG.png

Douche chills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom