• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Worth it! Definitely made the episode. Loved the gory fighting as well, the Hound is a badass (well, until he sees fire). And Tyrion chopping off that dude's leg, pure awesome.

yeah. when Davos and his son went flyin', I was like 'oh shi--'

Yeah, the gore was a little over the top for me though, but it looked neat so I'll forgive it. The rock falling on that guys head was LOL though

yeah. when Davos and his son went flyin', I was like 'oh shi--'

Yeah, the gore was a little over the top for me though, but it looked neat so I'll forgive it. The rock falling on that guys head was LOL though

That was probably realistic, actually. The Hound bifurcating people with his sword, on the other hand...

I can't believe Stannis was first to climb the latter and go over the wall, and without a shield. He's a fucking asshole, but he walks the walk.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
must have done it pretty quick... even I missed it :<

I was too, honestly. I've seen 'decent-ish' battle scenes in Borgias, which I felt was comparable to what we'd get with this episode. But that wildfire explosion just was superb. If you see other shows with explosions before, like at the end of season 1 of Walking Dead, it's usually pathetic. It's not easy to pull off a convincing explosion, let alone one as large scale as that.

That was the best moment of the episode for me.

Apparently the explosion scene itself cost like $7,000,000

Well the same guy was standing there and Joffrey left and said, "Ser Mandon, act in the King's name." There was only one person wearing that armor and helmet on the battlefield. The only other member of the Kingsguard we were shown was the Hound and he had a completely different outfit.

iNvid02

explosion was worth $7k, looked bad ass

tywin was also bad ass with his 5 seconds of screen time

edit: $7 million, THE FUCK
VpGQS.gif

i didnt think it was 7 mill good

Amir0x

Banned
Well the same guy was standing there and Joffrey left and said, "Ser Mandon, act in the King's name." There was only one person wearing that armor and helmet on the battlefield. The only other member of the Kingsguard we were shown was the Hound and he had a completely different outfit.

Damn, you do have a good eye.

I can't believe Stannis was first to climb the latter and go over the wall, and without a shield. He's a fucking asshole, but he walks the walk.

Yeah, I was surprised he went up the ladder first. Pretty stupid strategically though

That was probably realistic, actually. The Hound bifurcating people with his sword, on the other hand...

I admit the rock falling was probably the most plausible of the over-the-top gore, I just meant it was LOL because of how Stannis just sort of looked at his missing head quizzically afterwards haha

iNvidious01 said:
explosion was worth $7k, looked bad ass

tywin was also bad ass with his 5 seconds of screen time

edit: $7 million, THE FUCK

Don't forget the explosion scene encompassed many close ups of ships coming apart and men falling and burning in the water. It was quite pricey

I... uhhh... wow.

*moment of silence*

Side note: Every Sunday I work after Game of Thones. It's the only show I sit and watch when it's on. So I was looking for my cat sometime afterwards and realized that she went to the pillow next to my desk because it's the normal routine. She missed the memo where tomorrow is Memorial Day. *chuckles* Just thought it was damn cute though that she knows it's after this show. <3

Any source on that number for the explosion?

I was hoping for a couple more awesome gore moments being Marshall. That head slice was pretty awesome though.

JGS

Banned
I think I say this every week now, but that was amazing.

Curse you GoT for making me want the Lannisters to win.

From a technical standpoint, that explosion was one of the greatest things I've seen TV do. LOTR worthy.

Eric C

Apparently the explosion scene itself cost like $7,000,000

Sounds about right. Last year the budget for the entire season was rumored to be around 60 million.

For Season 2, it was reported they got a 15% increase in the budget, so about 69 million this year.

At the start of the season I remember reading an interview with one of the producers and he said most of the budget increase went towards a battle scene happening near the end of the season.

big ander

Damn great episode. Did get a little lost though: so Tywin recruited Loras and Renly's army? Was that what happened at the very end? I'd probably know if I wasn't in a daze from that awesome fight.

Had forgotten the Hound is afraid of fire. Duh on my part. His retreat makes a lot more sense now.

edit: oh, and FUCK YES Tyrion.

JGS

Banned
I must say that with all the BOSS moments in the show, the one that stands out for me is Tyrion. The others are doing what they do. Tyrion did what they did and not only took the lead but had to convince them first.

I'm assuming the pirates were last and split considering Stannis would never sit back and miss out on the fun nor would his men leave him that quick.
Renly's army too?

I guess I was wondering why they didn't do a ground assault.

Kisaya

Fucking amazing episode. I can say with no doubt now that Tyrion is my favorite in the show, and if he dies I'm going to flip/cry.

RangersFan

Stannis may not have the support of the people but he has the strongest claim to the throne and was a fucking boss leading the tip of the spear into battle.

Yeah, I was surprised he went up the ladder first. Pretty stupid strategically though

Alexander the Great was said to have done the same thing. He had a god complex though, so I imagine he never thought he would be killed in battle. Maybe the same is true for Stannis.

Damn great episode. Did get a little lost though: so Tywin recruited Loras and Renly's army? Was that what happened at the very end? I'd probably know if I wasn't in a daze from that awesome fight.

In a previous episode, Littlefinger tried to convince Tywin that Magaery Tyrell (Loras' sister) should be married to Joffrey for the purpose of aligning the two houses and winning the war. It looks like Tywin agreed. That doesn't bode well for Sansa.

JGS

Banned
Fucking amazing episode. I say with no doubt now that Tyrion is my favorite in the show, and if he dies I'm going to flip/cry.
I don't care how many twists and turns this story has (poor Davos & son:(...), Tyrion is not going anywhere. It's the only way to keep sane. I would sooner imagine all the Starks dying.

Pocks

Alexander the Great was said to have done the same thing. He had a god complex though, so I imagine he never thought he would be killed in battle. Maybe the same is true for Stannis.

In a previous episode, Littlefinger tried to convince Tywin that Magaery Tyrell (Loras' sister) should be married to Joffrey for the purpose of aligning the two houses and winning the war. It looks like Tywin agreed. That doesn't bode well for Sansa.

Good thing she's going back to Winterfell with The Hound. I hope.

Just noticed on the repeat that right after the explosion when they cut back to the Crying Women's Club, the juggler in the room is Ser Dontos, AKA "Drunk Captain America" from the first episode of the season.

Amir0x

Banned
Good thing she's going back to Winterfell with The Hound. I hope.

only to end up in the hands of Theon, who will probably want to rape her too!

Pfft, the Hound would probably singlehandedly kill Theon and all his men though

Duane Cunningham said:
the juggler in the room is Ser Dontos, AKA "Drunk Captain America" from the first episode of the season.

Damn you people are eagle eyed. I didn't even notice that!

big ander

Thanks.
Stannis may not have the support of the people but he has the strongest claim to the throne and was a fucking boss leading the tip of the spear into battle.
Yep. He's an interesting character who hasn't yet caused me to hate or love him. his character solely demands respect. He truly does, by the rules, deserve the throne most and he's one brave and strong badass.
Alright yeah, I remember that. I knew the Tyrell family would come into play at the end of the season somehow.
only to end up in the hands of Theon, who will probably want to rape her too!

Pfft, the Hound would probably singlehandedly kill Theon and all his men though
You've read the books right? idk just seems weird to suggest stuff that might happen when you already know what will happen, no matter how obvious those possible situations are

Amir0x

Banned
i don't know, anders, Stannis did pussy out in killing his brother the official ways on the battlefield and birthed a shadow baby through adultery in order to do it

he's not a shining bastion of purity or something

big anders said:
You've read the books right? idk just seems weird to suggest stuff that might happen when you already know what will happen, no matter how obvious those possible situations are

I can assure you that my comment reveals zero percent of even one detail of how anything turns out in the books. I was just fantasizing entirely as if I was only a watcher of the show. :)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Jesus Christ that episode...my body was not ready for that.

Holy shit, how am I suppose to go to bed after that? Fuck!

Tyrion is so done, I was saying since season 1 he's too awesome to stay alive, all the best characters seem to die...except Hot Pie.

Has the preview for the next episode popped up yet?

big ander

i don't know, anders, Stannis did pussy out in killing his brother the official ways on the battlefield and birthed a shadow baby through adultery in order to do it

definitely not, and I did make him seem more honorable than he is. He's more fierce I guess. and if someone as hot as melisandre offers to kill your nearest enemy with zero actual work, I say go for it.

I can assure you that my comment reveals zero percent of even one detail of how anything turns out in the books. I was just fantasizing entirely as if I was only a watcher of the show. :)

Which is what any of us posting in here should be considered. *points to a shelf (and Kindle) empty of the books*

Amir0x

Banned
definitely not, and I did make him seem more honorable than he is. He's more fierce I guess. and if someone as hot as melisandre offers to kill your nearest enemy with zero actual work, I say go for it.

He is definitely fierce when he wants to be. I think with Stannis what it is is that when he feels something is his 'right', or the 'proper' way of things, he will fight to ensure that thing is gained, no matter how many grey area things he must do to achieve it. It's sort of a weird duality of a character, if you think about it. He gets so intensely focused on his goal that he may even do things that are negative and dishonorable to get it, even as he claims to be all about honor himself.

But yeah I would have put it into Melisandre too.

I think it was foreshadowed in the earlier episode where Melisandre whispered to Davos son "fire is the purest way to die" or something along those lines.

damn you guys pick up a lot of shit I miss.

JGS

Banned
Idk, to me Stannis telegraphed the way he was going to beat his brother. Not his fault a god's priestess was on his side. He's like all the rest, though, in that he would do anything to win. That's what warriors do. Otherwise he was going to lose and he knew that. I think this episode made pretty clear that he's one brave dude.
I think it was foreshadowed in the earlier episode where Melisandre whispered to Davos son "fire is the purest way to die" or something along those lines.
I don't see how Davos could survive. In addition to the concussion, the heat would have got him too.

I think the scene showed that they couldn't prepare for the blast because they never experienced anything like it.

RangersFan

the killing of renly may have been "unclean" but renly was being a twat, as Stannis did have the rightful claim no matter how unloved he was and how loved renly was. doing it that way spared both sides from losing manpower to fight the lannisters. i gotta say i may be the only one but i kind of like stannis as a character.

i'm only at the beginning of book 2 so i haven't yet gotten to all the details

Amir0x

Banned
the killing of renly may have been "unclean" but renly was being a twat, as Stannis did have the rightful claim no matter how unloved he was and how loved renly was. doing it that way spared both sides from losing manpower to fight the lannisters. i gotta say i may be the only one but i kind of like stannis as a character.

It's true he did save countless lives in doing the shadow baby thing, but there are certain rules of chivalry and honor and whatever in this universe, which Stannis claims to be fiercely in support of (he didn't even want to lie on a letter earlier this season about loving his brother), and that certainly broke that much.

Idk, to me Stannis telegraphed the way he was going to beat his brother. Not his fault a god's priestess was on his side. He's like all the rest, though, in that he would do anything to win. That's what warriors do. Otherwise he was going to lose and he knew that. I think this episode made pretty clear that he's one brave dude.

how is it not his fault the priestess was on his side? :p

But yeah, he would have lost that battle and he did what needed to be done. But it wasn't the 'honorable' thing, which is in contrast to his general character trait to always be 'honorable'

JGS

Banned
how is it not his fault the priestess was on his side? :p

But yeah, he would have lost that battle and he did what needed to be done. But it wasn't the 'honorable' thing, which is in contrast to his general character trait to always be 'honorable'
I'm just saying from the standpoint of using her. It was a part of the game. It's not his fault that his brother didn't take the voodoo woman seriously (Delivered one of the funnier lines though with that "ham" crack).

This second viewing is making me notice all kind of things. Maybe this was more obvious, but when Sansa goes back to her room, she picks up the doll that Ned gave her in season 1 (which she was mad at him about at the time). She looks at it and smiles for a second before the Hound reveals himself.

Kud Dukan

This second viewing is making me notice all kind of things. Maybe this was more obvious, but when Sansa goes back to her room, she picks up the doll that Ned gave her in season 1 (which she was mad at him about at the time). She looks at it and smiles for a second before the Hound reveals himself.

That's where that was from! I watched it a second time too, and I figured that the doll must have come up before, but I couldn't place it. That was a nice touch.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's where that was from! I watched it a second time too, and I figured that the doll must have come up before, but I couldn't place it. That was a nice touch.
I guess I've watched the first season too many times (4 times, twice of those on BR) because I thought it was obvious.

The Kingsguard who sliced Tyrion is the same one whom Tyrion humiliated in court by threatening him with death via Bronn earlier in the season. Whoever got him to attack Tyrion, if he didn't just decide to on his own, probably didn't need to do much convincing.

watching you guys is literally more enjoyable than the show itself. It's like enjoying the series all over again for the first time :)

What did you guys think of that sick wildfire explosion? That shit was so insane lookin', goddamn
Watching you watching the people in this thread is even more enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom