• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

You know what's weird? The sigil of the Lannisters is a lion, but we haven't seen a single real lion in the show. We've seen more dragons than lions!
well, a lot of european houses used lions, panthers and all kind of shit and they were long gone in europe
might be a similar situation, with lions being dead already

not to mention dragons were long gone too in westeros ^^

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So bros, finale tonight?

Can't wait to rewatch the season, I have no idea what's going on.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
speaking of which, where the fuck was ghost when they ambushed snow? isn't it kinda his job to protect him -.-
underused this season too...

Ghost is just like my Border Collie: she doesn't give a fuck.

She's protective and caring at home, but as soon as she gets a taste of the forest she's all like

tumblr_m3ne8qSplK1qarqrxo1_250.gif
tumblr_m3ne8qSplK1qarqrxo2_r1_250.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
oh shit, he's the one mentioned by the wench in season one (the girl with a thing for dragon lore, while chatting with Daenerys' bro)

Milabrega

Yeah Doreah mentioned a man who changed faces like clothing and last week Varys mentioned shapeshifting among the dark arts when talking about Stannis and Mel. Winterfell seemed small on set, good outside shot of it burning to really give it scale. Theon scene was hilarious.

sangreal

Fuck. Cannot wait

Didn't really get why Bran and Rickon abandoned Winterfell. Did the bastard burn it, or Theon's men?

Everything else was omg

Will watch encore

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I thought it was awesome, sets up so much for s3! Can't wait.

Yep. There wasn't much closure because the plotlines are still ongoing. It leaves you with blue balls, but there's no other way around it. There were a few great moments though.

parasight

FUUU

I can't believe we have to wait so long for the next episode. Seems like we're in for a far bigger war than the last.

There was a fair amount of solid CG work done in the finale. Was surprised to see they had some leftover budget for the finale after the last episode.

Amir0x

Banned
No, his men pulled him from the battle

But it didn't make sense to me either.

The layout was like this

Battlements ______ Stannis Baratheon ________

TYWIN'S MEN/TYRELL MEN DOWN HERE

Stannis Baratheon Exit = No Way Out, Blocked By Tyrell/Tywin men

Did he just hide until they left? They did the worst job laying out his exit strategy

JGS

Banned
Dany's story delivered for sure.

Finale was pretty great. Not like last week's but definitely memorable and has me anxious for next season.
But it didn't make sense to me either.

The layout was like this

Battlements ______ Stannis Baratheon ________

TYWIN'S MEN/TYRELL MEN DOWN HERE

Stannis Baratheon Exit = No Way Out, Blocked By Tyrell/Tywin men

Did he just hide until they left? They did the worst job laying out his exit strategy
Stannis was in a completely different location to me. In fact, last week I was wondering where the heck he was going. It was like he was where the pirates were when they headed in to attack Tyrion's men

JGS

Banned
I thought they surrendered to the Stark army, why did they burn winter fell?
Theon was the ruler of Winterfell so performed a siege. I'm also not sure that they can be trusted.

What I don't get is if they killed everyone.

McNei1y

Everything delivered in the finale. So pumped at the Dany story. I hope they mention davos next season and not give him the uncle stark treatment.

Some head scratching moments, but a good series of cliffhangers. Anything and everything Bravos related continues to be awesome.

So what, a year's wait now for Season 3?

I thought it was awesome, sets up so much for s3! Can't wait.

Seems like everything in Westeros was treated as not so important. The marriage betrayals, the Tyrion betrayal.
And two things did not made much sense: The iron guys burned Winterfell down, with 500 northerners outside, ok. And those soldiers that were ordered to find Bran and Rickon did not entered Winterfell to look for them or their corpses? Or even the found the Meister bleeding? They just left?
Second is Tyrion's betrayal, although it is more of how it was treated, the only one who wins with it is Cersei, although Tyrion was the "rejected" son, would everyone just decide to conspire with Cersei than give due to him?

I liked the badassery that happened though, Jaqen and Arya, the dragons (Fuck Daenerys smug!), the savage army and the white walkers.

Yep. There wasn't much closure because the plotlines are still ongoing. It leaves you with blue balls, but there's no other way around it. There were a few great moments though.

Most likely it is an informed decision from the show writers to give all the weight to the dragons and white walkers, but I felt the rest of the cliffhangers were presented in a low note.

Most HBO series climax in the penultimate episode rather than the finale.

Did not know that. :/ Basically I've only seen Eastbound and Down and Game of Thrones from HBO haha.

Kaizer

Banned
Absolutely awesome season finale. I think I'm finally gonna have to pickup the books now - can't wait for next season to find out what happens.

Amir0x

Banned
Finale was pretty great. Not like last week's but definitely memorable and has me anxious for next season.Stannis was in a completely different location to me. In fact, last week I was wondering where the heck he was going. It was like he was where the pirates were when they headed in to attack Tyrion's men

i have to rewatch the episode, but from what I can tell, he threw up the ladder pretty close to the MUD GATE, which is where most of the fighting was taking place. It's also the mud gate that Tywin/Tyrell run down with their Calvary. I really don't know how Stannis would have escaped, but maybe it was just an illusion and he was nowhere near the mud gate or something :/

RangersFan

Doreah no...gonna miss seeing her sexy ass.
roxanne-mckee.jpg

great finale, i'm halfway through book 2 trying to race through the rest of the series so i can join the discussion in the other thread.

sangreal

I still don't get what happened in Winterfell, but in addition to that, if it weren't for someone above I would not even remember that Rob got married in this episode

JB1981

The Winterfell stuff was handled poorly. There were 500 men outside the gates. Theon's men knock him out and then flee. Somehow the entire city is on fire ? How ? Was there a battle? Did Theon's men burn it down ? Wtf

JGS

Banned
i have to rewatch the episode, but from what I can tell, he threw up the ladder pretty close to the MUD GATE, which is where most of the fighting was taking place. It's also the mud gate that Tywin/Tyrell run down with their Calvary. I really don't know how Stannis would have escaped, but maybe it was just an illusion and he was nowhere near the mud gate or something :/
I think he blended in with the retreating men. There were thousands that escaped because they were more scared than anything. That's why I think it was the pirates, but Stannis' men were creeped out by the wildfire than possibly outnumbered.

Stannis must still have a pretty sizeable army.
sangreal said:
I still don't get what happened in Winterfell, but in addition to that, if it weren't for someone above I would not even remember that Rob got married in this episode
That honestly was the worst part of it. I can't remember if it was a private ceremony or not but it makes no sense to betray a pact until at least after the battle is done.
The Winterfell stuff was handled poorly. There were 500 men outside the gates. Theon's men knock him out and then flee. Somehow the entire city is on fire ? How ? Was there a battle? Did Theon's men burn it down ? Wtf
I was thinking on this and I think Theon's men handed him over to Robb & split (Why they highlighted it in the previously part) & Winterfell's rescuers treated it like a siege situation and weren't that honorable to begin with.

That's also why I think the Maester(?) told them to head North despite there not being a real danger anymore. Poor guy...

EDIT: The show alluded to the predicament by the horns blowing, by Theon being deemed ruler of Winterfell, & in the amnesty for Theon's men. I would be surprised if Theon winds up with the Greyjoys.

Most HBO series climax in the penultimate episode rather than the finale.

Yea, I think it's a really stupid practice. It doesn't bother me right now though because I just got all the books. I won't be participating in the non-spoiler thread come season 3.

I thought it was a good but not great finale. I loved Theon's speech and the way his first mate reacted. This is the third time the show has mocked the traditional epic movie war speech trope (the first two being Stannis and Tyrion's less than inspiring words last episode), which I appreciate. Also, I think Brine had the best scene of the episode.

Amir0x

Banned
I think he blended in with the retreating men. There were thousands that escaped because they were more scared than anything. That's why I think it was the pirates, but Stannis' men were creeped out by the wildfire than possibly outnumbered.

Stannis must still have a pretty sizeable army.

Man, I don't even know how Stannis' men would have retreated with Tyrell/Tywin's army running them down! There was no way out; the section Tyrell/Tywin's men came from was completely blocked with their men, and I presume every last one of Stannis soldiers were killed/cleaned up by the calvary/remaining Tyrell/Tywin soldiers.

Basically they really did that part poorly, logistically it's like mind fucks.

That honestly was the worst part of it. I can't remember if it was a private ceremony or not but it makes no sense to betray a pact until at least after the battle is done.

Seems Robb's dick, like most men's, doesn't have a lick of sense in it :p

Honestly, if I was marrying a girl that looked like that, I'd lose my sense too.

Quick reminder on the spoiler rules:
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Book readers - please use the other thread. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom