• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I finally worked out how to get pictures off my PS4 and on to the internet so here's some I wanted to share with y'all. I found this planet last night and I was so taken by the scenery and how perfectly it recreates old Sci-Fi books I can't make myself leave.

CrNVvzdUIAA7c0Q.jpg
CrNVw7TUIAAj8QE.jpg

CrNVyLaVMAABnPn.jpg
CrNVzdOUMAA6a5j.jpg

The cluster this planet is in (as seen from the ground!!):

Video of unspeakable horror.

Video of a space pig swimming underwater.

Raist

Banned
Thanks. I was worried after reading how you get atlas v2/3 from them but I don't think I can even access the atlas path anymore.

Nah you'll be fine. I finished the AP a long time ago and I still get to systems where they're hanging around. Or they randomly pop in the system I'm currently in.

Before you potentially call me a liar :)p) I have no idea if it's random, if there's a pattern (e.g they tend to be in certain types of systems, or will warp into yours after you've spent X time, or do something in particular) etc.
So I'd suggest just doing your stuff, and it will happen when it happens. That's the best way to play the game anyway, IMO.

Some shots from my last-and-only idyllic planet showing off the lighting engine. The engine is not at DriveClub or MGSV levels, but the lighting in NMS really is quite nice. We don't often get to see it putting in work because the clouds don't actually seem to block the sun. Hopefully whatever Sean meant by adding a "volumetric cloud system" will allow that.

Sidenote: I just realized looking at this image that the moons/planets in the sky aren't actually a light source during nighttime. It's just those damn nebulas.

Raist

Banned
Guys. Take your screens as PNG for Atlas' sake.

Hold Share > Press Options > Sharing settings > Screenshot settings > Image format

Guys. Take your screens as PNG for Atlas' sake.

Hold Share > Press Options > Sharing settings > Screenshot settings > Image format

PNGs are for the photo thread, JPGs here. I can't even go into the photo thread because of the 4k PNGs carpet bombing my DSL connection. I've only noticed a difference in certain cases anyway. I upload to Twitter and if you grab the large photo version the compression they use is good enough to not be distracting.

Raist

Banned
Sidenote: I just realized looking at this image that the moons/planets in the sky aren't actually a light source during nighttime. It's just those damn nebulas.

They kinda are an indirect light source (although I very much doubt it affects anything else than who bright the background is) as they "reflect" the star's light. You can actually see it move around, it's pretty cool.

They kinda are an indirect light source (although I very much doubt it affects anything else than who bright the background is) as they "reflect" the star's light. You can actually see it move around, it's pretty cool.

Hm, I'll have to look out for that. Pretty much every system I've been to has had garish nebulas that shine brightly even at night. Still, our moon only reflects 11% of the sun's light and still is by far the brightest object at night. It'd be nice if the moons/planets were actually a significant light source. And of course if they actually orbited...

I set my PS4 to do PNGs but noticed when pulling the links off Twitter they were JPGs, does Twitter convert them?

Yes, but you can actually replace the "jpg" in the filename with "png" and you'll get the original PNG version. Just don't post them in this thread please; it's optimized for discussion, so JPGs are the way to go here.

Raven77

So on the last page someone posted a screenshot of a crater with a lake in it, and it was way higher than the water down below where this crater was.

Does anyone know what would happen if you were to blast away the edges of the crater? Would the water flow down the side of the hill or just float in mid air? I know that when you shoot waters edges the water just appears and fills in the gap / hole you've made but I've never seen water at different levels, as in, every planet I've been on if it has water they are all at the exact same height or very close.

So on the last page someone posted a screenshot of a crater with a lake in it, and it was way higher than the water down below where this crater was.

Does anyone know what would happen if you were to blast away the edges of the crater? Would the water flow down the side of the hill or just float in mid air? I know that when you shoot waters edges the water just appears and fills in the gap / hole you've made but I've never seen water at different levels, as in, every planet I've been on if it has water they are all at the exact same height or very close.

Water is at the same height planet-wide, so there wouldn't be anywhere for it to flow down to. Blasting away the edges would just make a bigger body of water.

That was Optimus Prime's post. And yeah, I'd like to know if the bottom of the lake was higher than than sea level as well. I've definitely dug channels to redirect water and it fills the space up automatically. The water doesn't flow or flood into a channel after busting through with a grenade, though that would cause endless amounts of fun were that possible.

I have however seen water creatures re-path into the new bodies of water that I've created, which was kind of cool.

Raist

Banned

That's how water works in this game. It basically is set a height X. That height is probably a variable that changes with planets, but not within a planet. Basically, all water is just one giant ocean. There's no real lakes, in a way.

mokeyjoe

That's how water works in this game. It basically is set a height X. That height is probably a variable that changes with planets, but not within a planet. Basically, all water is just one giant ocean. There's no real lakes, in a way.

Yeah, there's basically a 'sea level ' and when the terrain dips below that you see the water.

Are there any games that do realistic water?

Water is at the same height planet-wide, so there wouldn't be anywhere for it to flow down to. Blasting away the edges would just make a bigger body of water.

Yeah that's all I've seen as well, which is why this shot was really interesting. If those two bodies of water are at the same height then then it must be the perspective playing tricks. Maybe the lowest point of the "lake" is the same as the rest of the ocean?

Have some big trees

Very envious of your PC mods, though I guess Big Trees would wreck the framerate of PS4. But yeah those big trees really change the feel of the game.

Yeah, I think the caves are done in a similar way. It looks a bit weird when a cave starts to form on the surface but it's just some patchy land and some glowy flowers and plutonium sitting there.

edit: The weirdest ocean-related thing I've seen was a couple of leech-fish sticking straight out of the ground, wriggling their tails in a very nausea-inducing way. I guess the proc gen had a logic error and thought there was ocean there where it was only rock.

Yeah, there's basically a 'sea level ' and when the terrain dips below that you see the water.

Are there any games that do realistic water?

3D Procedural games? Not that I'm aware of. Some games have decent fluid dynamics, but they're usually in very controlled scenarios. Fluids are very taxing to simulate with any sort of accuracy.

Raven77

Yeah that's all I've seen as well, which is why this shot was really interesting. If those two bodies of water are at the same height then then it must be the perspective playing tricks. Maybe the lowest point of the "lake" is the same as the rest of the ocean?

Exactly, that lake is clearly higher than the rest of the water near the top of the pic which you can tell just by the fog alone. Unless that is a REALLY tricky perspective. In looking at it, I just can't figure out how that water can be at the same height.

3D Procedural games? Not that I'm aware of. Some games have decent fluid dynamics, but they're usually in very controlled scenarios. Fluids are very taxing to simulate with any sort of accuracy.

For anyone who likes messing with fluid physics, land deformation, etc. you need to pick up Cities: Skylines. It has a terrain editor that you can "speed up" so the water flows faster. Try filling the land space with water, then making giant mountains, the water gets pushed up and creates big tsunamis, etc.

The whole game does water in a really great way. Here is a flood gif when a dam fails:

swhnhgmdamv46ggqiklw.gif

mokeyjoe

Exactly, that lake is clearly higher than the rest of the water near the top of the pic which you can tell just by the fog alone. Unless that is a REALLY tricky perspective. In looking at it, I just can't figure out how that water can be at the same height.

It must be perspective, that's how water works in NMS. I've never seen any exceptions, and if there were it wouldn't make sense to have it so rare.

Edit: zooming in on the pic it's actually pretty clear the lake and the sea are on the same level.

It must be perspective, that's how water works in NMS. I've never seen any exceptions, and if there were it wouldn't make sense to have it so rare.

Edit: zooming in on the pic it's actually pretty clear the lake and the sea are on the same level.

Do you mean that gap between the ridge of the crater and the adjacent land mass? That's where I assume water is and where it'd meet.

The right hand side presents a bit of an optical illusion, but the left hand side is easier to see.

Screenshot_20160831-220146.png

Yeah it's still screwing with me haha. I believe you though, as all of our experience with water in NMS has been uniform. But that's a really funky perspective (and great picture).

mokeyjoe

Yeah it's still screwing with me haha. I believe you though, as all of our experience with water in NMS has been uniform. But that's a really funky perspective (and great picture).

The haze helps make it look like they're different altitudes but it's just further away. If you imagine a channel through that bit of land you can visualise it better.

JackHerer

I've gotten to the point where I want to upgrade my ship to one with more slots but it seems like a huge hassle after having built all the warp upgrades into my current one (28 slot). I already have a 48 slot suit (sooo much easier)...

mokeyjoe

For anyone who likes messing with fluid physics, land deformation, etc. you need to pick up Cities: Skylines. It has a terrain editor that you can "speed up" so the water flows faster. Try filling the land space with water, then making giant mountains, the water gets pushed up and creates big tsunamis, etc.

The whole game does water in a really great way. Here is a flood gif when a dam fails:

Looked at some videos. Kind of reminds me of a prettier Wetrix. :)

I suppose, in its day, Wetrix had some pretty decent water simulation.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ever waited out a storm in your ship?

I did it last night and it was kind of immersive. I had the Cubs game on my iPad in front of me and I picked up my phone and browsed GAF until it went away. Imagine I would do something similar on an unexplored planet waiting out a super heated gas storm.

One of the planets I was on last weekend had these crazy toxic storms that would eat through my protection in, literally, 20-25 seconds. It would also obscure my view so hard that I couldn't see anything further than maybe five feet away from me. I'd have lost my ship if there was an option to remove the HUD, and the ship was only about a hundred yards away. It was pretty cool, but I had to be all over my shield recharging. The storms were also super frequent (maybe one every five minutes), so I couldn't travel too far from a save zone or cave. It was a pretty cool planet, but it didn't count towards my extreme survival milestone, so I left it after a bit.

Speaking of extreme survival, my amazing wife finished it up for me Monday, while I was at work. I have to hold off and play NMS during weekends, simply because it's such a time sink that I can't really play it during the work week, but she did the ranking on her account, then finished off mine for me. Very cool, because it was an annoying Milestone given my limited play time. If I had tried to do it naturally through playing the game, it'd probably have taken me months. I don't generally find many extreme planets. Since it's a three day weekend for me, I'm looking forward to sinking more time into it.

I've gotten to the point where I want to upgrade my ship to one with more slots but it seems like a huge hassle after having built all the warp upgrades into my current one (28 slot). I already have a 48 slot suit (sooo much easier)...

Especially when you do find one you like because you're picky and it's missing the Tau or Theta warp reactor. Sucks.

I had one of the vertical versions of these. It was so slick looking.
Couldn't stand the tiny range of freelook in the cockpit though :(

A "used ship dealership" would be a funny and great addition. Or at least getting a chance to sit in the cockpit of a prospective buy so you can see what it looks like from the inside, free look and all that.

Cool shots. My idyllic world had those type of trees...the leaves on them bothered me though, look like some janky CGI rendering from the 1990s.

I'd ask you to please limit shots to three per post though (same rules as the photo thread), thanks.
Thanks! After posting, I thought I probably posted too many. Will keep it to three next time.

Edit:
From what I remember, the water was all the same level. Just an odd crater lake that I was fortunate to capture from high up.

So I'm not crazy, there are different levels of cockpit freelook then.

Yes, very much so.

It goes something like:

High Freelook Range of Motion <--------> Low Freelook Range of Motion
Fighter Bubble > Fighter Trapezoid > Freighter ~ Dropship > Science

It's been a while since I was in a Dropship-style ship, but I seem to recall those having a similar freelook range to Freighters. Might be lower though.

OuterLimits

Almost made a deadly mistake. Landed on a barren planet with weather called "Dead Wastes" in red. Got out though and temp was just 58C and wasn't draining my protection overall quickly. So decide to head off a bit thinking it wouldn't be bad. Suddenly a storm hits and the temp went up to 135C. Thought I was screwed since I'm still early in game(restarted 2 nights ago) and don't have upgraded hazard protection. Fortunately was close to a drop pod and was able to ride out the storm. I still could have blasted a cave as a last resort, but my protection was falling fast.

At night the temp dropped to -58C. Another heated storm happen to arrive just as the sun was coming up so that was kind of cool as well.

Even though this game has flaws, it's situations like this that really make me like it.

Oh I also saw one lonely cactus plant which was hilarious, and the planet is fairly flat but with occasional giant mountains.

Hung Wei Lo

Am I screwed with N&P? Last time we met, I requested assistance to the center (black hole.) I ended up veering off course to dick around on a B class planet, and ended up forgetting about it, starting warping around and manually jumping into another black hole. It shot me some 1M ly away (although it barely made a dent as it's still showing I'm 170k away from the center?) Will they randomly come again, or will it not trigger until I access their hole?

Am I screwed with N&P? Last time we met, I requested assistance to the center (black hole.) I ended up veering off course to dick around on a B class planet, and ended up forgetting about it, starting warping around and manually jumping into another black hole. It shot me some 1M ly away (although it barely made a dent as it's still showing I'm 170k away from the center?) Will they randomly come again, or will it not trigger until I access their hole?

You're not screwed, they should show up again after you warp a couple more times.

Well that was interesting, landed on a planet, got out of my ship and then was flung 9 minutes away from it. Probably would have died if I didn't slow myself with the jetpack. First time that has happened.

magawolaz

Well that was interesting, landed on a planet, got out of my ship and then was flung 9 minutes away from it. Probably would have died if I didn't slow myself with the jetpack. First time that has happened.
Happened to me once around the day1, on my first stormy planet; I thought it was because of the crazy weather lol.

Raist

Banned
Sooooooo.... Out of curiosity I wanted to test how robust that procgen tech is, it terms of how it creates and re-creates stuff. I thought, maybe it's sort-of-kind-of, tiny details might change like rocks plants etc, and it might not end up being 100% identical in terms of terrain either.

So I kept one of these abandoned buildings markers (usually a pain because they ruin screenshots) and played around.

Starting point.

nomanssky_2016083122332j8x.png

Then I took off, exited the atmosphere (until there's that big LOD change) and came back to the same point.

nomanssky_20160831225lykf9.png

I literally said oh shit. Like, every cactus, rock etc is still there. Then I thought, OK maybe you didn't push it that far enough. So I took off again, but this time went further away.

How far? That far.

nomanssky_201608312254bj3p.png

And then I went back to that spot.

nomanssky_20160831232s6jgx.png

Now, you're gonna say, but Raist, that hole and plutonium crystals just popped out of nowhere!

Well, yeah... But actually, what I didn't tell you is that before I flew off the second time, I left my mark...

nomanssky_20160831225cxk2w.png

So it's the same hole... Which I thought was actually not the way it's done, like they wipe everything out when you leave the planet...? Or maybe it's just a coincidence, but I find it... a bit much.

Those Plut crystals though popped out of nowhere. Preorder cancelled. Or maybe I found an exploit. Bomb the ground, fly off, come back, here's 200,000,000 plut units for you.

Oh, and between the earliest and latest points, I went to the nearest "?".

nomanssky_2016083122377kfc.png

nomanssky_20160831232cjkei.png

So yeah, that's damn impressive.

mokeyjoe

Interesting regarding those plutonium crystals. I guess they grow randomly so no matter how much you harvest a planet you can never be out of launch thruster fuel.

I'm not sure how long terrain destruction stays though. Maybe until you leave the system?

Raist

Banned
Interesting regarding those plutonium crystals. I guess they grow randomly so no matter how much you harvest a planet you can never be out of launch thruster fuel.

I'm not sure how long terrain destruction stays though. Maybe until you leave the system?

Yeah I thought I might try that too. Problem is, I don't think that marker will be kept, and I'm not gonna spend 19h trying to find that spot again if that's the case. :p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People can rename player discovered things?

No, but I remember posts that complained about immersion breaking moments when they learned that what they thought was one of the premises of the game, discovering planets no other being had been there before, was now void as it is clear that other creatures actually visited the planet before you and that you are not alone in the Universe.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, he's referencing the fact that you're 'naming' all these planets that already have a ton of aliens and spaceports on them. Then you make an effort to learn their language as part of the game, but the one thing you never bother to ask is what the name of the planet already is, lol.

It just makes you feel far less like an explorer because all the planets are colonised and should already have names.

This did not stop people feeling like explorers when they conquered the Wild West ;)...

Top Bottom