• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Raist

Banned
This did not stop people feeling like explorers when they conquered the Wild West ;)...

Yeah I was gonna say. Colombus should turn that explorer card in, there were people living there.

edit: looks like you made the same point originally. Hadn't followed that discussion.

magawolaz

Found a planet with some texture problems:

l5zPHgE.jpg

rw3xeDV.jpg
It also had this double halo around it:
Decided to go on its moon, and...
it was beautiful.

Quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX1C9vhEysE

Now, you're gonna say, but Raist, that hole and plutonium crystals just popped out of nowhere!

Well, yeah... But actually, what I didn't tell you is that before I flew off the second time, I left my mark...

So it's the same hole... Which I thought was actually not the way it's done, like they wipe everything out when you leave the planet...? Or maybe it's just a coincidence, but I find it... a bit much.

Those Plut crystals though popped out of nowhere. Preorder cancelled. Or maybe I found an exploit. Bomb the ground, fly off, come back, here's 200,000,000 plut units for you.

Interesting. The hole is not surprising, they save terrain edits on a per-voxel basis to your local machine. But those plutonium crystals are...unexpected. I'll take a wild guess and say that the crystals are generated after the terrain pass, when a separate bit of code analyses the terrain and decides where the caves are. So I'm guessing that it thought your hole was the start of a cave entrance and decided to decorate it with some crystals.

I guess to test my theory, you could make a much bigger and deeper hole and see if the proc gen code fills it with more cavey stuff.

Alebrije

The best part of the game is the soundtrack,it matches the planet exploration. But I have been experimenting with other music and recomend you the next :

Group : Tangerine Dream
Album : the best of THE PINK YEARS

Example song : Sunrise in the third system. Hear it on barren creepy feeling planets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5SMyYj0D2o

Group : FSOL (Future sound of London)
Album :Life forms

Example song : Cascade , hear it on full flora and fauna planets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUN46Rb3Q4

Both albums have songs for different planet , specially the Tangerine Dream one

Raist

Banned
Interesting. The hole is not surprising, they save terrain edits on a per-voxel basis to your local machine. But those plutonium crystals are...unexpected. I'll take a wild guess and say that the crystals are generated after the terrain pass, when a separate bit of code analyses the terrain and decides where the caves are. So I'm guessing that it thought your hole was the start of a cave entrance and decided to decorate it with some crystals.

I guess to test my theory, you could make a much bigger and deeper hole and see if the proc gen code fills it with more cavey stuff.

Test report.

So first, between then and now, I was on a different planet (same system). Went back to the one I was messing with, and it was back to normal. Still identical to the first shot though. So I guess that stuff is dumped if you land somewhere else.

So I dug a decent network of tunnels, exited, flew far away, got attacked by pirates, etc etc, went back to the planet, the tunnels are still there and identical (as far as I can tell). Not much else going on, this time there was just one plutonium crystal next to it.

Test report.

So first, between then and now, I was on a different planet (same system). Went back to the one I was messing with, and it was back to normal. Still identical to the first shot though. So I guess that stuff is dumped if you land somewhere else.

So I dug a decent network of tunnels, exited, flew far away, got attacked by pirates, etc etc, went back to the planet, the tunnels are still there and identical (as far as I can tell). Not much else going on, this time there was just one plutonium crystal next to it.

Hmm. The first bit sounds more like a bug than intended behavior; all terrain edits are supposed to be permanent per-machine. But I guess they could've changed that for performance reasons or something.

Re: the tunnels, perhaps the plutonium is added during a general randomized pass over the terrain, with only simple rules to follow, such as "put plutonium everywhere, aluminum rarely". So alterations to pillars are saved, but that random crystal you mined is meaningless to the proc gen. edit: I say randomized pass because every crystal should be consistently placed if it's generated as other assets and creatures are. But obviously that's not happening here, so it might be generating crystals in a different way. Or, the terrain edits are confusing the proc gen algorithms. (I know that terrain edits are applied after the terrain proc gen pass is complete, but it would make sense that terrain edits happen before flora and fauna are placed.)

mokeyjoe

No, but I remember posts that complained about immersion breaking moments when they learned that what they thought was one of the premises of the game, discovering planets no other being had been there before, was now void as it is clear that other creatures actually visited the planet before you and that you are not alone in the Universe.

It's a slightly odd thing to complain about as every explorer in western history has only 'discovered' places already populated (Antarctica excluded). But then I guess those places and people didn't have radio and advanced communication technology. Still, I get the impression that although there may be a few aliens on each world huddled in the occasional outpost the places are largely unexplored or surveyed. Hence why the Korvax are interested in researching and cataloguing everything. Just because the continent of Africa had been discovered doesn't mean that Livingstone couldn't go exploring for the source of the Nile.

Having said all that, it would be nice to see some completely unpopulated places here and there, as well as some more heavily populated ones, rather than it being so even everywhere.

Raist

Banned
It's a slightly odd thing to complain about as every explorer in western history has only 'discovered' places already populated (Antarctica excluded). But then I guess those places and people didn't have radio and advanced communication technology. Still, I get the impression that although there may be a few aliens on each world huddled in the occasional outpost the places are largely unexplored or surveyed. Hence why the Korvax are interested in researching and cataloguing everything. Just because the continent of Africa had been discovered doesn't mean that Livingstone couldn't go exploring for the source of the Nile.

Having said all that, it would be nice to see some completely unpopulated places here and there, as well as some more heavily populated ones, rather than it being so even everywhere.

I think there's some degree of variation. Some planets have buildings like every 200m, while sotimes I've really struggled to find some.

Well, I sent off a giant list of suggestions to Hello, as they don't seem to be looking here. Hopefully emails to their support address don't just go into /dev/null.

I think there's some degree of variation. Some planets have buildings like every 200m, while sotimes I've really struggled to find some.

I've noticed that as well. A barren planet I was on recently had very few buildings, and many of the ones I found were abandoned.

Hey is Radnox important for anything?

It's a crafting element for one of the upper-tier items, can't remember what off-hand.

Loudninja

I think it's used in like 1 blueprint. Nothing else I've seen otherwise. Worth some good money.

Well, I sent off a giant list of suggestions to Hello, as they don't seem to be looking here. Hopefully emails to their support address don't just go into /dev/null.

I've noticed that as well. A barren planet I was on recently had very few buildings, and many of the ones I found were abandoned.

It's a crafting element for one of the upper-tier items, can't remember what off-hand.
Thanks bros :)

vix

The inventory restrictions in the game kill me, I just want to be a hoarder and save a ton of everything I find. :) Maybe the freighter update will fix that for me.

The inventory restrictions in the game kill me, I just want to be a hoarder and save a ton of everything I find. :) Maybe the freighter update will fix that for me.
Letting go of older ships kills me. I hope we can keep an inventory of ships on the freighter.

PC or PS4? On PC there's a mod that lets you stack everything and increases the limits as well, I believe.

Letting go of older ships kills me. I hope we can keep an inventory of ships on the freighter.

I hope we get ship part blueprints and can customize our ships on the freighter.

vix

PC or PS4? On PC there's a mod that lets you stack everything and increases the limits as well, I believe.
PS4, my computer can't handle Minecraft, it's not gonna handle this. :D

I just wish everything stacked. It would make inventory management a bit easier on me. For a while I was hoarding Terumin, Aronium, and Herox with nothing to use them for. Still no idea if they're used for anything. I got rid of them a long time ago.

I'd love to be able to hold something like 10 or 25 bypass chips. Warp cells in a pile instead of all over the place. And so on and so forth.

PS4, my computer can't handle Minecraft, it's not gonna handle this. :D

I just wish everything stacked. It would make inventory management a bit easier on me. For a while I was hoarding Terumin, Aronium, and Herox with nothing to use them for. Still no idea if they're used for anything. I got rid of them a long time ago.

I'd love to be able to hold something like 10 or 25 bypass chips. Warp cells in a pile instead of all over the place. And so on and so forth.
Same here. The only mod I actually use is the one that removes the vignette, scanlines, and chromatic abrasion. I don't want to risk my save file with other ones.

G-Bus

Banned
That reminds me, are there planets with rings around them? I know they said there weren't any gas giants, but I didn't know what the word is on ringed planets.

Pretty sure I remember Sean saying in an interview that there are ringed planets but I haven't seen any myself or a single screenshot of one.. so yea.

Loudninja

It gets easier trust me, dont horde take stuff like iron, plutonium ,or carbon because its everywhere.

vix

Same here. The only mod I actually use is the one that removes the vignette, scanlines, and chromatic abrasion. I don't want to risk my save file with other ones.
I would love to do away with those three things as well. Maybe a future update. I do wish they would break their silence. I know that no matter what they say, it will be skewered to death but I would love to know if they're planning on making changed based on most requested stuff. Like stackable items, photo mode, etc.

Loudninja

I would love to do away with those three things as well. Maybe a future update. I do wish they would break their silence. I know that no matter what they say, it will be skewered to death but I would love to know if they're planning on making changed based on most requested stuff. Like stackable items, photo mode, etc.
They not really silent though,they are fixing stuff first.

Since No Man’s Sky on PS4 released a couple of weeks ago the team has been incredibly busy. We’ve gathered all the support requests to support@hellogames.co.uk, but we’re also tracking posts on Reddit, PS4 forums, twitter and anywhere we can find online.

Right now the team is fully focused on categorising and fixing support issues in order of priority, based on the number of people they are affecting. The information and crash dumps you’ve posted have been indispensable in helping us track down and fix these issues.

We’ve now released 7 patches (1.07 just got posted), and hopefully they really improve the experience for everybody. As you can see it’s been a huge amount of work for a small team. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

This week expect at least one more major update, which will enter testing on Wednesday. Once all our support requests have been answered then we can begin improving the game with new features :)

Overall these fixes should remedy around 80% of our current support requests. We’re working on the next 20% right now. If you are still experiencing issues please do click the support button on http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/ps4-patch-notes-1-07/

I think we hear about new stuff soon since it seems they are almost done with the fixes.

I spent forever pushing one of those balls to a portal lol. What a waste of time. Shoulda looked up if that had been tried yet before doing that.

Trying to think of something not tried yet. I noticed how some of the monoliths have a pad with nothing on it. It seems like those are the ones that talk about time travel and your doppelganger. Plus all those little orbs that are sitting in things like inside the atlas interfaces. Seems like ot belongs on some kind of pad. I wonder if pushing the stone onto one of those pads would do anything. I dont know if I want to spend hours trying to do that either.

Bleh!

Loudninja

The planet I am on right now is extreme toxic it really eats you up, but it has rare stuff and gold an some fantastic looking animals I love it!

mokeyjoe

Read the abandoned facility data logs. They seem to be precisely those. Somebody needs to start recording (or data mining) these and uploading them to reddit or something. Should make for some pretty interesting reading

There's actually a good post on reddit that's collated all the logs and it's pretty interesting.

Base building kind of makes more sense lore-wise when you realise what these buildings potentially are, or were.

"Returning user identified...."

Loudninja

I know they're busy. I understand. I'm not raging. I'm enjoying the game. I just want more! ;)
Agreed!

This is some of the stuff they mention is coming
Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.
Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

Anyone else notice the activated monoliths shoot a beam up into the sky that explodes in a big blue flash when you fly near them? I never noticed this before.

https://youtu.be/Hf1u7Ck4eCE

I have no idea how Ive never noticed this after playing for so long. Has this always happened?

The last planet I was just on had the first water-filled caves I've found. Kind of a bad deal when you're on an extreme ice planet and you duck into a cave to warm up, only to wade into liquid hydrocarbon. ;)

Now I've just landed on a humid rainforest planet with such wide oceans that I can't even see land in the distance, dotted with tropical islands. This game never ceases to give me that hit of discovery.

I'm starting to get repeats in NPC conversations now though. Expected, but.. :/

I spent forever pushing one of those balls to a portal lol. What a waste of time. Shoulda looked up if that had been tried yet before doing that.

Damn, you actually rolled one of those balls all the way to a portal? You should get a special trophy for that. It was a longshot, but good on you for trying.

Aenima

Anyone else notice the activated monoliths shoot a beam up into the sky that explodes in a big blue flash when you fly near them? I never noticed this before.

https://youtu.be/Hf1u7Ck4eCE

I have no idea how Ive never noticed this after playing for so long. Has this always happened?

Lol i always tought that sound was my ship thrusters or something. After all was the monoliths shooting fireworks :p
Will have to try fly around one too see it closely.

somme

I noticed the Monoliths shooting a beam upwards a few days ago. I was going to activate a load and look for a portal but I've never managed to find a portal!

Aselith

Somehow they made the game run worse than it did getting FPS ranging from 8-60 when the last time I played I was getting solid 45-60 all the time mostly high 50's. Absolutely terrible.

Was tooling around some mountains and caves tonight and finally was able to articulate what's been bothering me about the player movement. In other first-person 3D games when you're on an incline, the player's view is always kept parallel to the x-axis. But in NMS, for some reason they tilt the camera to be parallel to whatever surface you're on. You can see this most clearly in one of those cave chambers that's round – if you walk up the sides it will look like you're walking up a wall.

In caves it's a bit weird, but feels basically like a ship in Wipeout going up the sides of a curved track. And on mountains if you're facing up or down you don't really notice it. But if you're looking perpendicular to the mountain, your view is tilted because the camera is turned to be parallel with the side of the mountain. Combined with the narrow FOV on the PS4, it makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. I never get sick playing 3D games, but I have to imagine someone who is would find those tilted, narrow views a bit nausea-inducing.

Teknoman

No, but I remember posts that complained about immersion breaking moments when they learned that what they thought was one of the premises of the game, discovering planets no other being had been there before, was now void as it is clear that other creatures actually visited the planet before you and that you are not alone in the Universe.

Why would someone even complain about that? I mean thats one of the cooler things of the game. People coming across your discoveries.

somme

Up to about 33 million units at the moment. I've only got a 30-slot ship but mine current one looks pretty swish and I don't feel like going back to an ugly bulky one. Shall keep making money whilst I wait for the perfect bigger-slotted ship :D

Dredd97

I have the pc version on GOG and still patch 1.07 hasn't been released on it yet..

is this still in experimental on steam?

Top Bottom