• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Razgreez

Up to about 33 million units at the moment. I've only got a 30-slot ship but mine current one looks pretty swish and I don't feel like going back to an ugly bulky one. Shall keep making money whilst I wait for the perfect bigger-slotted ship :D

Perfection is but one (or infinitely many) procedural steps away

Raist

Banned
I've noticed that as well. A barren planet I was on recently had very few buildings, and many of the ones I found were abandoned.

I think there tends to be less on extreme planets. Haven't tested it properly though.

Anyone else notice the activated monoliths shoot a beam up into the sky that explodes in a big blue flash when you fly near them? I never noticed this before.

https://youtu.be/Hf1u7Ck4eCE

I have no idea how Ive never noticed this after playing for so long. Has this always happened?

Seen that some days ago. Only happens with monoliths you've activated as far a I can tell, so it's not surprising to easily miss it. You actually see that happening right in front of you when you pick the "correct" answer too. Not if you fuck up though.

OuterLimits

So I'm wondering maybe the outpost where you punch in the puzzle code was maybe supposed to activate the portals or at least show you their location on a planet? It talks about showing you other worlds or something and a sphere pops up. Would make sense that it would direct you to a portal originally.

Especially since the bypass chip already can show you the way to a monolith.

Really sucks that the portals were dumped from the game.(among others unfortunately) I originally thought the portals were supposed to take you to a planet close to the center which would be much crazier than ones far out? Of course we now know planets don't actually become more dangerous and the more bizarre near the center.(bummer)

Spyware

The experimental branch on Steam just updated and I can't find a single note anywhere. It would be really nice to see what I'm downloading.

JoeNut

So is it fair to assume this game will be patched with new content or does the silence from the devs indicate that they've made their money and that's that?
Considering they've lost 90% of their userbase (according to some dodgy source or other) they're unlikely to see any return from further support

mokeyjoe

So is it fair to assume this game will be patched with new content or does the silence from the devs indicate that they've made their money and that's that?
Considering they've lost 90% of their userbase (according to some dodgy source or other) they're unlikely to see any return from further support

New content has been announced so I'm still expecting it. No indication so far otherwise.

somme

They've already said new content will come after the bug fixes.

Makes sense that they'd continue patching the game and trying to regain some of their lost reputation. Not that I really understand that as I followed it since the beginning and am enjoying it just as much as I knew I would; a lot.

Muzicfreq

Banned

They made their money and ran off
to patch the game asap and add content once stable enough to handle it

So is it fair to assume you don't think highly of this game? I swear you posted this almost verbatim earlier.

noomi

The experimental branch on Steam just updated and I can't find a single note anywhere. It would be really nice to see what I'm downloading.

Yeah, same here... not to worry though there will be patch notes 2 - 3 days after the official patch releases :/

daveo42

Banned
They made their money and ran off
to patch the game asap and add content once stable enough to handle it

The only con men to ever actually continue to work on their project instead of cutting and running as soon as they cashed the checks. Sean Murray is pulling the longest of cons with this one.

I mostly agree with GB's take on the whole situation tbh. Indie dev promised the moon thinking they could do it and fell short. Maybe it'll get there someday, but it didn't make it at launch. No Sean laughing about how he fooled people or sold a lie tons of people. He thinks him and his team can make that original concept a reality, but it's going to take more time and I'm sure HG was running out of funding and Sony was putting on the presure to release.

Yup. And when you mix that with unchecked consumer hype it results in an internet disaster. Under-delivering on a hyped product (whether it be game, movie, tv) is a worse sin online than just delivering a bad product.

Add to that the fact that it was pushed as a 'AAA' game from the point Sony picked it up. I was fine with paying $60 for the game (I continue to enjoy it), but I can also agree that a ton of the hate surrounding it can also come back to it being marketed and sold as such. Sorry to keep quoting GB on the subject, but it was very much a perfect storm of single issues of small impact coming to create the situation we have now.

curb

Banned
I mostly agree with GB's take on the whole situation tbh. Indie dev promised the moon thinking they could do it and fell short. Maybe it'll get there someday, but it didn't make it at launch. No Sean laughing about how he fooled people or sold a lie tons of people. He thinks him and his team can make that original concept a reality, but it's going to take more time and I'm sure HG was running out of funding and Sony was putting on the presure to release.

Yup. And when you mix that with unchecked consumer hype it results in an internet disaster. Under-delivering on a hyped product (whether it be game, movie, tv) is a worse sin online than just delivering a bad product.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
I think if they added some more content and have a lower price that may bring people who refunded or didn't purchase back to the game so it would still be in their interest to add more content after the patching. hopefully
I'm still enjoying it for what it is and taking it slow.

Z3M0G

Anyone else notice the activated monoliths shoot a beam up into the sky that explodes in a big blue flash when you fly near them? I never noticed this before.

https://youtu.be/Hf1u7Ck4eCE

I have no idea how Ive never noticed this after playing for so long. Has this always happened?
I haven't been playing for long but I fly around a lot after activating things. I've never seen this either.

Jmille99

Late to the party, but finally finished the Atlas quest.

Man...that was underwhelming. Liked the idea of what they were trying to tell, but telling it in the absolute most uninteresting way.

On to the center!

Hahs

I swear, some people have an extremely difficult time dealing with the silent treatment.

Not getting a response doesn't mean the End-All-Be-All...speaking from experience - and everyone should be able to relate to this on some level;

Trying to rationalize/explain a fuckup to angry/rabid individuals falls on deaf ears - in other words - just let actions speak for themselves. After they calm they calm the fuck down then it's time to talk.

We've all grown from this XP, HG and the public. Don't fall for the hype - and devs need to be more vigilantly/selectively discreet with their ambitions...and for God-sake IP creators - don't PR your own game!!

Up to about 33 million units at the moment. I've only got a 30-slot ship but mine current one looks pretty swish and I don't feel like going back to an ugly bulky one. Shall keep making money whilst I wait for the perfect bigger-slotted ship :D

Are you getting ships from crash sites or buying them? Because crash sites are awesome for two reasons. First, free ships. 30 million will get you a nice 40-slotter, but I jumped from 25 to 42 slots in a few hours just visiting crash sites and I didn't spend a dime (actually made quite a bit of money harvesting resources). Second, breaking down tech on a ship you know you won't keep can lead to items that normally only allow 1 per slot being able to stack; I now have stackable Carite Sheets, Microdensity Fabric, Vortex Cubes, Dynamic Resonators, Dimensional Matrices and Neutrino Modules. Do you know how awesome it is to go resource farming on a planet full of Vortex Cubes and not be worried about running out of space in 2 minutes? I don't, yet, but I remember that being a big pain in the ass earlier. So I'd definitely recommend farming crash sites to upgrade your ship rather than just buying, since you're probably not going to stick with a ship permanently before you unlock a max-slotter.

N° 2048

Late to the party, but finally finished the Atlas quest.

Man...that was underwhelming. Liked the idea of what they were trying to tell, but telling it in the absolute most uninteresting way.

On to the center!

Prepare for more disappointment.

somme

Are you getting ships from crash sites or buying them? Because crash sites are awesome for two reasons. First, free ships. 30 million will get you a nice 40-slotter, but I jumped from 25 to 42 slots in a few hours just visiting crash sites and I didn't spend a dime (actually made quite a bit of money harvesting resources). Second, breaking down tech on a ship you know you won't keep can lead to items that normally only allow 1 per slot being able to stack; I now have stackable Carite Sheets, Microdensity Fabric, Vortex Cubes, Dynamic Resonators, Dimensional Matrices and Neutrino Modules. Do you know how awesome it is to go resource farming on a planet full of Vortex Cubes and not be worried about running out of space in 2 minutes? I don't, yet, but I remember that being a big pain in the ass earlier. So I'd definitely recommend farming crash sites to upgrade your ship rather than just buying, since you're probably not going to stick with a ship permanently before you unlock a max-slotter.

I've already maxed out my exo suit so inventory space isn't really an issue.

I've been exploring some crash sights, and breaking down the ship parts, but I haven't bothered taking the crashed ships as they've all been uglier and one slot lower.

I don't like their way of "fixing" the waypoints in 1.07
My own waypoints in the galaxy get deleted whenever I receive a waypoint for an atlas interface etc. Even if it's a different slot.

That's really annoying as I have my starting system set as a waypoint to have some scale and orientation.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Still not one fucking word from Sean concerning the games omitted features and horrible press it's getting right now. So frustrating.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/ps4-patch-notes-1-07/

What's the point though? Anything they say is going to be twisted and turned to make them look like liars. They have their fanbase that are satisfied with the game. I'm sure the return numbers of people getting refunds aren't terribly high. They're going to cater to the players that are satisfied, because no amount of excuses is going to placate the angry ones. People love their torches and pitchforks and internet drama. They're not contributing to it.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about their silence. I think they're keeping their head down and working on fixing the bugs and crashes until the hate wave moves on to the next poor developers that incur the internet's wrath. I just don't think there's anything they can say that won't make things worse for them. Although, honestly, I don't think it can get worse than it already is. I suppose if everyone that bought the game got refunds? That's not going to happen.

I haven't been able to play the game much, as I've said before, but I'm looking forward to spending some time with it on this three day weekend. Very few games have me so eager to get back into them as this game. Taking a break during the week, and saving it for the weekend has kept the batteries charged. When I first got the game, I think I played it every day for about two weeks straight. I wouldn't say I was burned out, but it was an insane amount of hours put into the game. Once I got my maxed suit, and found a good multitool (not max slots), I slowed my pace down. My next goal is to get a good ship. I've already got 5 million units saved up from doing that extreme survival milestone on a planet that had a lot of gravitino balls, so I'd run around, collecting gravitino balls, then sell them at the nearby vendor.

I kind of wish there was a gameplay mechanic where you could earn units every few minutes or so. Like, you build a probe that you can send out on a planet with a specific goal: like "Explore," "Gather," "Trade." With "Explore", the probe would scout out points of interest, and mark them on your HUD. This would be nice for things that are too far away for your scanner to find. "Gather," would have the probe collecting resources (you could set which type of resource the probe is looking for, ie, Exotic, Isotope, Neutral, Oxide, and Slicate). The probe would do nothing but collect that specific type of resource, and bring it back to you when you summon it. "Trade" is an expansion of that. You select the type of resource you want the probe to collect, and then it will automatically sell it.

To keep this from being exploited, the probe will have a battery charge like your shields. You can build those sheets to recharge it, but it has to be within range for you to use it. After its battery dies, it will return to you. Not sure if it should be an automatic return, or if it will depend on how far out it was from you when the battery died. Even so, the probes movement speed will be much faster than yours, so it shouldn't take forever for it to return to you.

I'd love a gameplay mechanic like that. Maybe the probe can also have a "Defend" option. Where it will orbit you as you roam around, and attack any hostiles. It can have a tab in the menu next to your Exosuit, Ship, and Multitool, and it will have it's own slots. You can upgrade your probe to have more slots, so it can store more tools and upgrades to make it more effective in defense, or gathering.

But I'm rambling now. The game has so much potential, though!

Curufinwe

I ended up not getting the game after watching videos and reading impressions, but my niece who just got a PS4 did and she seems to really like it. I don't think she's the type who reads videogame forums, so she may well be oblivious to all the issues with its development and release.

I ended up not getting the game after watching videos and reading impressions, but my niece who just got a PS4 did and she seems to really like it. I don't think she's the type who reads videogame forums, so she may well be oblivious to all the issues with its development and release.

I think your niece's enjoyment with something "any informed person is supposed to hate" speaks volumes about how toxic hype culture-- on both the consumer and developer/publisher side-- is. I'm glad she's enjoying it. It's a good game.

Wait, wait, wait...I can stack those things now that I've broken them down?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Played 30 minutes of the BF1 beta before I quit and started up NMS again. The appeal of a new ship and exploring a new system was too much to resist.

I can't put my finger on it - I'm not sure if it's the sense of the unknown/exploration, or just feeling like you're part of something so big, but I haven't felt this feeling in a game since GTA 3.

Wait, wait, wait...I can stack those things now that I've broken them down?

ae5dcl0.gif

It's a bug that allows you to stack valuables like Vortex Cubes and Neutrino Modules. The stackable version comes from breaking down ship tech. Serious space saver.

I'm on a weird planet right now.

Weather is marked as desolate in red text and it drains life support fast. But it's not a planet with low atmosphere (can't see the stars during the day etc). Instead the temperature switches between -80 and +110 depending on night and storm activity.

Also it is the first time I saw a non-fish creature under water. 4 legs and all, multiple ones paddling around like weird little hippos.

On top of that it has basically ewoks.

mishakoz

Still not one fucking word from Sean concerning the games omitted features and horrible press it's getting right now. So frustrating.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/ps4-patch-notes-1-07/

This, above all the cut features, above all the lies, bothers me the most. You have to address this kind of thing, especially if you are as candid as Sean Murray portrayed himself to be. The fact that he isnt saying anything says a lot about his true character, or maybe he is being silenced by PR, either way dude needs to talk.

But yeah, I dont think we are actually getting base building and freighters. I just dont think it will happen, or if it does, it will be paid. I hate to sound so negative but nothing tells me they have any desire to rectify this situation.

Bottom line, just talk, dont lie, deal with the aftermath. Take some personal responsibility.

daveo42

Banned
ae5dcl0.gif

It's a bug that allows you to stack valuables like Vortex Cubes and Neutrino Modules. The stackable version comes from breaking down ship tech. Serious space saver.

Massive savior. Made farming a vortex cube planet so much easier when I could hold 100 at a time instead of at most 20. I wish I could find a component that broke down into grav balls as well. I'd be set for life.

Massive savior. Made farming a vortex cube planet so much easier when I could hold 100 at a time instead of at most 20. I wish I could find a component that broke down into grav balls as well. I'd be set for life.

There is. I'll have to figure out which one, because I don't pay attention to what gives it.

Yeah it'd be nonsensical to find, but I wish a component broke down into Albumen Pearls. I consistently come across Pearl Planets and would love to be able to just clear out an entire cave network in one go.

This, above all the cut features, above all the lies, bothers me the most. You have to address this kind of thing, especially if you are as candid as Sean Murray portrayed himself to be. The fact that he isnt saying anything says a lot about his true character, or maybe he is being silenced by PR, either way dude needs to talk.

Nah he's a programmer-- of only a handful-- on this game. He and his team ought to spend time working on it. Patching bugs, adding features and new content. And for all his genuine down-to-earth nature while being interviewed, there was clearly an undercurrent of discomfort in being in front of the camera and large crowds--I believe he's commented on as much in the past-- and that was amongst people who were cheering him on. Of course he's not going to voluntarily take time away from working on the game to assuage the egos and emotional fragility of people who continue to act so completely unhinged and absurdly vile towards his staff, which as Managing Director he is responsible for, and him personally.

And even if he did, even if he thought "Ok. I'm doing it." and downed a fifth of a bottle of Powers before plunging into a Reddit AMA, what's supposed to be the intended outcome? Saving face for your company for future projects? Possibly. But be honest, with how upset you are right now with NMS, if HG came out and apologized or accepted culpability for "leading people on" or whatever, if he did that, how likely would you be to purchase their next game? Would you buy it at launch or wait for some kind of massive sale? Not at all?

But yeah, I dont think we are actually getting base building and freighters. I just dont think it will happen, or if it does, it will be paid. I hate to sound so negative but nothing tells me they have any desire to rectify this situation.

Multiple performance patches in two weeks, with another one inbound. Clearly you are not happy with your purchase, and $60 is nothing to sneeze at so I can relate when it comes to buyer's remorse, but they are literally "rectifying the situation" with how the game runs while we banter back'n'forth here on GAF, which is what they ought to be doing. If 'rectifying the situation' however means standing in front of an angry mob so they can continue to scream at them and beat their chests, then I think HG's time is better spent elsewhere.

Bottom line, just talk, dont lie, deal with the aftermath. Take some personal responsibility.

I think spending one's time sorting out the technical issues that people have been having with the game since launch is taking personal responsibility for the performance of one's product.

lol I've never seen that gif before. Awesome.

theWB27

Wow. Turn on the game before work and for some reason my ship was 13 minutes away. Hhhmmm....I didn't do that....maybe my nephew played? Nah....im at the same station. So, the planet can get over 600 degrees, I start walking and I see that the icon actually says off planet. What?! So I think no biggie, reload an earlier save. Nope. I have two consecutive saves 2 minutes apart. Lololololol -_-....

I noticed my jet pack is making the same sound as my plasma launcher. Hhmm.

I restart and think....it's a game and glitches happen. Yay! Ship is only 2 minutes away on planet. Sweet? Nah...it's actually flying away without you.

Zxha0ds.jpg

Video- https://youtu.be/orTArN7sFwc

Is there a known way to fix this?

Backlogger

I think they are still focusing on getting the game to run better/smoothly for everyone before jumping on new content.

Backlogger

I think he was "caught in the moment" with a lot of things he was saying and now that reality is kicking in he's realizing the mess he put his team in. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if he's been told not to speak anymore.

The Hello Games twitter account has been slightly more active but nothing since the 27th

https://twitter.com/hellogames

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

It's just a good game. My wife doesn't give a hoot about gaming forums either, and she's in love with the game. She only knows about the backlash because I talk to her about it. It baffles her, and is just one of the reasons why she avoids gaming forums. There are things about the game she hates (like ship combat and pirates), but she has no interest in getting involved in such a toxic community.

I think it's great that your niece is enjoying the game. It's flawed, but it's a good time. I cringe every time I hear the words "Dumpster Fire" in conjunction with even a marginally disliked product. There are legit awful, horrible, dumpster fire games (I can rattle off a list, but I'll just drop Superman 64, The Lost World Jurassic Park PS1, and Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2), but games like No Man's Sky just aren't in that category. This game will go down as one of the poster children for "I don't like thing, so thing must be garbage." It's sad, because there's a good game here. It's not for everybody, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. Bug fixes will iron out the kinks, and content updates will flesh out the experience.

I remember when Minecraft was pretty much just dropping grass colored blocks everywhere. Games like this evolve. Fortunately for Hello Games, their team is small enough that the commercial success of this game has given them a lot of cushion to ride out this negativity, and work on improving the product. A larger company that maybe invested millions and millions of dollars on a title like this probably would close up shop on future revisions and updates, and just move on to their next "sure fire hit." Hello Games doesn't have the luxury of just hoping their next project will be well received. Well, if they care about their brand. They'll continue to expand and polish this one, and No Man's Sky will probably end up on one of those Youtube lists of "Games that turned their image around," after some updates and expansions.

Raist

Banned
Wow. Turn on the game before work and for some reason my ship was 13 minutes away. Hhhmmm....I didn't do that....maybe my nephew played? Nah....im at the same station. So, the planet can get over 600 degrees, I start walking and I see that the icon actually says off planet. What?! So I think no biggie, reload an earlier save. Nope. I have two consecutive saves 2 minutes apart. Lololololol -_-....

I restart and think....it's a game and glitches happen. Yay! Ship is only 2 minutes away on planet. Sweet? Nah...it's actually flying away without you.

Zxha0ds.jpg

"Sorry, my planet needs me". Sorry dude, have to admit that made me laugh.

Have you tried loading a previous save? Not sure how long they're kept for and how many stack though.

Nah...it's actually flying away without you.

That's hilarious and fucked up. First time I've seen anything like that. When you looked up and saw the tail end of your ship disappearing into the sky I laughed out loud. Seems pretty unique so I'd definitely pop off an email to HG support.

Also, a workaround could be getting to shelter or outpost with a beacon to call your ship back with a bypass chip.

mishakoz

I think he was "caught in the moment" with a lot of things he was saying and now that reality is kicking in he's realizing the mess he put his team in. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if he's been told not to speak anymore.

The Hello Games twitter account has been slightly more active but nothing since the 27th

https://twitter.com/hellogames

Literally all he had to say was "Clarification: No man's sky is a single player only game. Multiplayer was mentioned but we ran out of time/didnt implement it". He said a variation of this before launch, but he did not say definitively "no". His tweet implied "you probably wont ever see anyone so dont go looking for that experience" not "you cant see anyone, period." He kept it vague on purpose, which is scummy.

Likewise, they should say "We are launching the game but unfortunately some game elements did not make the cut" Take personal responsibility for more than just tech issues, take responsibilty for what you promised. He is interviewed multiple times saying the multiplayer thing and claiming features that arent there, just say apologetically "We screwed up. We hope you are enjoying no mans sky but if you feel like we mislead you we are sincerely sorry.

I can't get over how there has been no response to any of this. I love the game, enjoyed my time with it, but this wreaks of scum.

Loudninja

That's hilarious and fucked up. First time I've seen anything like that. When you looked up and saw the tail end of your ship disappearing into the sky I laughed out loud. Seems pretty unique so I'd definitely pop off an email to HG support.

Also, a workaround could be getting to shelter or outpost with a beacon to call your ship back with a bypass chip.
Yeah I this happen to another person lol.

Fixed my "ship off planet" glitch. Had to explore around a bit but finally stumbled on a landing pad. Had to wait for three different traders to land and take off before I could finally call mine. After that treachery, I immediately set about replacing it. My multitool and exosuit are both maxed out, but my ship was only a 27-slotter. I've been spamming a Gek tower and I'm up to 32. I may bounce around a couple more systems, see if I can't find a good resource farm; bouncing between broken crashed ships gets old fast.
Yeah so just call it back.

Zxha0ds.jpg

This is a whole lot of fuck

edit - watched the video. lmao. sorry for your loss but . . . lmao

I saw a Youtube video the other day of someone's ship taking off without them. I don't know if they ever got it fixed or what the resolution is. I'd say to certainly send an email to HG support about it though and you may want to try reloading your save, and if that still doesn't fix it then try recalling your ship back from a terminal just to see what happens.

do all of this

I saw a Youtube video the other day of someone's ship taking off without them. I don't know if they ever got it fixed or what the resolution is. I'd say to certainly send an email to HG support about it though and you may want to try reloading your save, and if that still doesn't fix it then try recalling your ship back from a terminal just to see what happens.

I kind of wish there was a gameplay mechanic where you could earn units every few minutes or so. Like, you build a probe that you can send out on a planet with a specific goal: like "Explore," "Gather," "Trade." With "Explore", the probe would scout out points of interest, and mark them on your HUD. This would be nice for things that are too far away for your scanner to find. "Gather," would have the probe collecting resources (you could set which type of resource the probe is looking for, ie, Exotic, Isotope, Neutral, Oxide, and Slicate). The probe would do nothing but collect that specific type of resource, and bring it back to you when you summon it. "Trade" is an expansion of that. You select the type of resource you want the probe to collect, and then it will automatically sell it.

So basically your own DDog? I don't know, I think it might make an easy game even easier. It would definitely take some of the sting out of survival.

But then again, I don't understand why people exploit bugs in the game like the stacking bug, when it's basically like using a money cheat code in SimCity. You can do it, but you're breaking the game and the built-in obstacles.

Weather is marked as desolate in red text and it drains life support fast. But it's not a planet with low atmosphere (can't see the stars during the day etc). Instead the temperature switches between -80 and +110 depending on night and storm activity.

There does seem to be a problem with the weather system matching up with what the planet is supposed to be. I was on a Humid planet last night whose weather dipped below 0ºC quite often, and had frequent freezing rain storms. I've also seen multiple storms (Heat and Ice) occur at the same time.

Handy Fake

There does seem to be a problem with the weather system matching up with what the planet is supposed to be. I was on a Humid planet last night whose weather dipped below 0ºC quite often, and had frequent freezing rain storms. I've also seen multiple storms (Heat and Ice) occur at the same time.

Never been to Scotland then. ;)

Top Bottom