• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

mokeyjoe

The only con men to ever actually continue to work on their project instead of cutting and running as soon as they cashed the checks. Sean Murray is pulling the longest of cons with this one.

I mostly agree with GB's take on the whole situation tbh. Indie dev promised the moon thinking they could do it and fell short. Maybe it'll get there someday, but it didn't make it at launch. No Sean laughing about how he fooled people or sold a lie tons of people. He thinks him and his team can make that original concept a reality, but it's going to take more time and I'm sure HG was running out of funding and Sony was putting on the presure to release.

Add to that the fact that it was pushed as a 'AAA' game from the point Sony picked it up. I was fine with paying $60 for the game (I continue to enjoy it), but I can also agree that a ton of the hate surrounding it can also come back to it being marketed and sold as such. Sorry to keep quoting GB on the subject, but it was very much a perfect storm of single issues of small impact coming to create the situation we have now.

Giantbomb's coverage of the game all the way through has been fair and reasonable. They've definitely earned a lot of respect from me for their coverage. Not that they need it, lol.

Slay

I will be focusing on getting to the centre after the Atlas path and would like to know I can still find them to get the Black Hole coordinates.

You can, but after the atlas path is completed you can spot black holes in the galactic map, so there is no need for nada and polo for that.

Yep. You can do what you want.

Some may say you'll be disappointed. I'd say, like with all great sci-fi: it is was you make it.

You can, but after the atlas path is completed you can spot black holes in the galactic map, so there is no need for nada and polo for that.

Great thanks!

Any word on how the extreme survival milestones work now with the 1.07 update? It's the last trophy I need for the platinum and I want to make sure I do it right.

Loudninja

I actually for some reason find the extreme survival stuff fun,waiting in caves until a storm pass desperately looking for zinc while trying to mine gold.

Poyunch

Fixed my "ship off planet" glitch. Had to explore around a bit but finally stumbled on a landing pad. Had to wait for three different traders to land and take off before I could finally call mine. After that treachery, I immediately set about replacing it. My multitool and exosuit are both maxed out, but my ship was only a 27-slotter. I've been spamming a Gek tower and I'm up to 32. I may bounce around a couple more systems, see if I can't find a good resource farm; bouncing between broken crashed ships gets old fast.

Wait... you can call your ship from a landing pad? I thought it was only from those ship posts.

DjRalford

Haven't had a chance to play the last few days due to work, but can't wait to jump back in for a few hours this evening, i'm sat on a planet littered with sac venom even 3 feet with low security sentinals, it's like christmas, you could steal city hall!

hqdefault.jpg

Has anyone noticed any difference in quality or prices of ships between races and locations? Now that I'm stocking up for a new ship, I'm realizing I never played any attention to that.

Aenima

Im now on the starter planet
of the 3rd Galaxy
And this little guy was waiting for me. It was the tallest i saw so far with 7m, the tallest i saw before was 5m. Still dont saw a tallneck mofo so far. :(

Added 11 and 12 earlier.

No Man's Sky: Observational Transmissions: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A4N9CVqldmvuIZl2eTAAS164wgpYkrk

I was on number 12 the longest of any planet I've been to because I COULD NOT find the last two species. The planet only had a few ponds of red water so I never thought it'd have aquatic life until I saw some neat looking fish which I swam with.

https://youtu.be/_zOl5ubdkrc

But it was the very last one seen at the end that made me wish I'd just given up haha. I've read of a few of you finding similar "sea cows", but seeing it for myself after going mad trying to look for it had me in hysterics.

My biggest challenge with extreme planets is trying to take and/or edit footage around the weather warnings. Unfortunately, I've noticed cross fading the footage extends each segment beyond my initial cut so you can hear the warnings just before it fades into the next clip. Oh well.

Edit: I want to point out that #12 is the most Earth-like planet I've seen beyond wildlife and skybox. Blue skies, green grass, snowy conditions, evergreen forests, golden sunsets... but with green night and red water.

Edit 2: And that giant planet in the sky is planet #7 in my linked video collection. I believe this was one of many moons for that planet.

mulac

Ok I'm done. Was going for the Platinum but the game is super annoying now.

Thats 3 planets i got to nearly 100% species scanned and spent around 2hrs trying to find the single last one to complete that trophy.

No luck - so screw it. I have other games to play; will revist when they make it easier to actually find goddamn animals!

Really enjoy the game, think I'll be travelling between planets for a long time as just wandering around a planet is a joy. But man they really need to improve the economy aspect, quick.

I feel as though the pricing of items are affected by the local availability, where rare resources are sold at a high price, but there's no way of knowing this until you literally log in to the galactic trading network in a particular system. Trading shouldn't be so heavily weighed on pure luck, they need to provide options to deliver trade to a specific location, or even if you find somewhere asking for a resource at a high price you're given an amount of time to go gather it and send it to them over the galactic network. At the moment being a galactic trader is like being one of those guys who drives around in a white van trying to sell a set of hifi speakers to random people on the street.

OuterLimits

Something is wrong in my game. I left it in sleep mode and when I started again, many of my discoveries appeared red again.(not all though)

Plus my Atlas Path, and a Black Hole Path I got from Nada is gone. Only can do center and free exploration path.

Has this happened to others? I shut th r game down and reloaded a save, but same issue.

Wozman23

Ok I'm done. Was going for the Platinum but the game is super annoying now.

Thats 3 planets i got to nearly 100% species scanned and spent around 2hrs trying to find the single last one to complete that trophy.

No luck - so screw it. I have other games to play; will revist when they make it easier to actually find goddamn animals!

I had the same trouble. I think I only managed to get 3-4 planets completed. So I resorted to the "cheating" way. (If you have the disc, you can delete everything, disconnect, and play the pre-patch version where you just have to discover any 60 creatures.)

Everything other than the creature cataloging trophies and the extreme condition trophies were pure joy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Maybe I'm playing this game wrong, but after enjoying the first system for hours and jumping several systems and planets, hundred of light years away from the start... And everything the same. Planets, tasks, structures, creatures, space stations. Small variations of flora and fauna, but everything for the most part feels like a color swap.

Should I stop "exploring" and planet hop, which is ironically what the devs recommended against when the release date was broken?

Maybe I'm playing this game wrong, but after enjoying the first system for hours and jumping several systems and planets, hundred of light years away from the start... And everything the same. Planets, tasks, structures, creatures, space stations. Small variations of flora and fauna, but everything for the most part feels like a color swap.

Should I stop "exploring" and planet hop, which is ironically what the devs recommended against when the release date was broken?
For me its like I get 20 samey planets and then one really cool one. But then I dont need anything on it so I take some screenshots and leave. Ever since I got the Theta hyperdrive and started exclusively visiting the blue O and B star systems, the planets and life have been far more interesting.

mulac

I had the same trouble. I think I only managed to get 3-4 planets completed. So I resorted to the "cheating" way. (If you have the disc, you can delete everything, disconnect, and play the pre-patch version where you just have to discover any 60 creatures.)

Everything other than the creature cataloging trophies and the extreme condition trophies were pure joy.

Gotta agree - i love this game and its all i've been playing since launch. But this has soured it for me.

All they need to do is update the scanner or make it clearer WHERE to find animals you havent discovered yet instead of that annoying little white dot.

Anyway, grumpy right now after so much time on this one trophy - i know i'll come back to it later tonight anyway ha!

What's fun to you? For me it's documenting the planets that I spend my time on (as linked a few posts above).

I'm role-playing as a galactic zoologist interested in not just the differences between each planet and star system, but the similarities as well.

OuterLimits

After warping a couple times I found another anomaly so I asked them to put me back on Atlas path.

So odd that many things I uploaded turned red again. I'm even having to upload a 100% zoology planet again.

DjRalford

I've had 3 planets where i am missing 1 animal, i get a blip showing on the visor, it turns red when i get close, but when i get to where it is it is just a red dot floating in the air.

So either a) my final creature is a microbe, or 2) it's fucked.

OuterLimits

PS4 nettwork wad own that could have cause issues.

Right but these were done between 12-36 hours ago before the network issues I think. Plus the unique names I gave them were still there, and the buttons were not highlighted, yet I could still upload them again. Plus the Atlas and Black Hole Path disappearing was odd.

Your Probe would almost be like the feeding animals mechanic, in that they're autonomous, and can discover things for you. It wouldn't be a mechanic that you were forced to use (like Listen Mode in The Last of Us. You don't have to use it, but it's there for the folks that may enjoy it). I think it'd be cool to have your own little R2-D2/BB-8 as your companion through the cosmos. They could treat them like ships and multi-tools, where you can talk to traders and make an offer on their Probe if it has better slots than your previous one, and can come in all sorts of different designs. It's just a little extra gameplay system to tool around with, in a game that doesn't have that many gameplay systems.

[...]

And difficulty is subjective. I haven't died much, but pirates were a pain in larger numbers, and I was on a planet that would delete my shields in about 25 seconds, and had extreme storms that would cut that time in half ever 3 or 4 minutes, so I constantly had to recharge. There's resources everywhere, of course, but it definitely got too close for comfort if I strolled too far away from my settlement or ship, and couldn't find a cave to hunker down in until the storm passed (the storms lasted about 5 minutes or so; nothing too crazy).

I'd like it if the game had difficulty settings like Minecraft. Have a "Casual" "Normal," and "Extreme" difficulty settings for people. I wouldn't mind playing on Extreme, but I know my wife would prefer Casual, because she just likes exploring and finding planets and animals, and not dealing with combat or survival stuff. I don't get it, especially since she plays shit like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but hey, different strokes, I guess.

I agree that it'd be cool to have a droid companion. I think in general this game could use more personal attachments to your character with other NPCs.

Difficulty being subjective could probably be a thread on its own. Like is surviving extreme planets in NMS really difficult? I mean it requires finding shelter, but is that difficult when a few grenade blasts make an impromptu shelter for yourself? Pirates are difficult at first, but after some shield and photon cannon upgrades is it actually a challenge? I feel like NMS doesn't scale in difficulty as you climb the upgrade tree. For instance the Sentinel 5-star rating is just one walker? In GTA if you get a 5-star, you're pretty much fucked.

But I agree that there should be different difficulty levels in this game. I remember actually advocating for an exploration mode before release, but now it's like...c'mon, where's the hard stuff?

Shaneus

So, found the coolest looking abandoned ship, swapped to it thinking I just need to repair the launch drive and I'm golden.

Wrong. Need to fix pulse drive too.

But I can't find any fucking zinc on the fucking planet I'm on. ARGH. And I have minimal zinc I'd get from the slots in my multitool :/

Razgreez

So, found the coolest looking abandoned ship, swapped to it thinking I just need to repair the launch drive and I'm golden.

Wrong. Need to fix pulse drive too.

But I can't find any fucking zinc on the fucking planet I'm on. ARGH. And I have minimal zinc I'd get from the slots in my multitool :/

the-struggle-is-real.jpg

OuterLimits

The ones on planets? Not talking asteroids. In 100 hours the only thing floating deposits on planets have been is copper.

Yeah I think those are always copper. Nickel can be found in pillars like Heredium is. I sometimes start mining one thinking it's heredium and get nickel when I'm not paying attention. Nickel is more brownish I think.

Number45

I don't think I've come across a planet where the zinc flowers aren't fairly common. Don't think I've ever actually found a deposit though.

Another late night playing this. I just get drawn in by it's beauty, atmosphere and freedom. I think it's one of the most special games I have ever played, and I think I love it even more now the mainstream has completely rejected it. It's going to get tiring defending it for the rest of my life, but I'm willing.

Just found my first planet with green grass and my first "butterflies" (they look like itty-bitty squid). The sentinels here are supposedly hostile, but I was outside for a full day-night cycle, and didn't see any.

(and I'm getting ads for polo events because of this thread lol [might go to it, tho])

Razgreez

Another late night playing this. I just get drawn in by it's beauty, atmosphere and freedom. I think it's one of the most special games I have ever played, and I think I love it even more now the mainstream has completely rejected it. It's going to get tiring defending it for the rest of my life, but I'm willing.

Why feel the need to defend it though. Just simply enjoy what you enjoy as long as it's not harming anything nor anyone. That's my perspective at least.

32 ship (not including the large star ships) battle before heading to work this morning. Largest I've seen. Also noticed that often when i hit enemies with the phase beam I can take their ship shields down to a sliver and they appear to have their engines disabled but can still attack me

Raist

Banned
I don't think I've come across a planet where the zinc flowers aren't fairly common. Don't think I've ever actually found a deposit though.

Flowers are the only source of zinc (apart from buying it directly).
I've been on planets where you have to walk for quite a while to find even one. It's not very common though.

OuterLimits

Flowers are the only source of zinc (apart from buying it directly).
I've been on planets where you have to walk for quite a while to find even one. It's not very common though.

Yeah, I'm assuming every planet has at least the basic resources you need to at least get your starship off the ground. Iron, Carbon, Heredium, plutonium and Zinc. Even barren planets have those clam looking carbon things and the iron rocks usually near alien structures.(often plutonium as well)

The zinc flowers can be sparse at times though.

JoeNut

So is it fair to assume you don't think highly of this game? I swear you posted this almost verbatim earlier.
No, i own it, and have enjoyed it so far, so you are mistaken.

I swear, some people have an extremely difficult time dealing with the silent treatment.

Not getting a response doesn't mean the End-All-Be-All...speaking from experience - and everyone should be able to relate to this on some level;

Trying to rationalize/explain a fuckup to angry/rabid individuals falls on deaf ears - in other words - just let actions speak for themselves. After they calm they calm the fuck down then it's time to talk.

I guess you're right actually, anything they say will be scrutinized so highly it may be better to say nothing at all

Top Bottom