• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Raist

Banned
I really think they need to overhaul most of the health/shield system to make it a bit more challenging and interesting. As it's stands, there's waaay too many layers that make it near impossible to die.

Example of what would be better IMO:

- Don't regen the personal shield. Or at least not that quickly, and have it drain life support if it has to recharge (essentially your suit automatically redirects some power to the shields, having a negative impact on LS)
Also, only make it useful for physical damage (melee/lasers/fall). As it stands, it protects you from drowning for instance, which doesn't quite make sense. And shield upgrades are basically useless. Finally make it only rechargeable with a specific item (like a power cell).

- Get rid of ship shield manual recharge. Just make it (very) slowly regen over time, with slight increases with upgrades. That will make space combat more challenging also get rid of the "I need to got to the menu while in a dogfight" issue.

I named my Star Systems after soft drink beverages...

If anyone should come across the Lucozade Star System, thats mine

A literal astroturfer :p

I've got no interest in them making the game a tough as balls survival thing but as long as i can still play "Original" mode i don't care what else they do.

curb

Banned
I named a planet Green by accident

I keep hitting the wrong trigger on PS4 and I don't know how many times I've named a planet "New " by accident.

Edit: Also got my suit up to max slots last night. What's the max slots for a multitool and where do I get me one?

Raist

Banned

Yep, I've made very similar points in that omgwtfbbq refund thread:

I think there is enough of a good game (YMMV, it's certainly not for everyone, that was clear from Day 1) here to warrant a good discussion about what it is, what is due for improvements (like a lot of UI stuff), what kind of additions would be cool. But an insane amount of bandwidth is instead spent on just pure hate, often not factually justified (assuming hate is ever justified, at least when it comes to a fucking videogame), and discussions about what the game isn't or doesn't have, that is in several cases based on an absence of evidence fallacy made by people who have a limited experience (first hand or not) of the game, and also influenced by some people's imagination running wild (on both sides of the argument).

As far as I'm concerned, I'm enjoying the game, and it's pretty damn close to what I expected it would be. As it is for, I think, many people. Just read the summaries some made in these "what do you do?!" threads over the years, based on footage and interviews. Yes, some (important or not) details aren't there. Yet or not. For whatever reason, which doesn't have to be "OMG SCAM". It's difficult however to play the game for a decent amount of time, and not think that it is pretty damn close to what these summaries described.

I really appreciate the complete lack of handholding (rare these days, and no, it's not "bad videogames design, it's completely consistent with the premise), the fact that it's different, the freaking huge colour palette (something people have been complaining about for years), how fun it can be to dig your way around (again, something people often say they want), etc.

I strongly diseagree on the "this is accidental" idea though, It's rather obvious it is by design, a few things in the game will tell you that (the Atlas Path for instance).

I keep hitting the wrong trigger on PS4 and I don't know how many times I've named a planet "New " by accident.

Let me guess. R2 to confirm while it used to be to switch betwwem upper/lowercase on PS3? :p

Flipyap

That was a weirdly schizophrenic video. He spends half the episode alternating between not seeing the point to the game or its systems before coming to conclusion that it's a chill game about exploration, then he goes back to not being able to figure out what kind of game the developers wanted to make and decides that they've accidentally made a chill game about exploration.
It ends up sounding like he carefully prepared a script for a recording of some scattered thoughts.

Shaneus

I had an idea to recycle everything I could to try and build up zinc. Found two things, now I have 17 and I need 20.

So I decided to go walking. About as far as 15 mins walk from my ship (stopping at camps/landmarks along the way) until I found a camp with a homing beacon. So even though my ship is still disabled, at least it can fly on its own via a homing beacon thingy.

Yay?

Anyway, the hunt continues. Still looking for a camp that has a shop i can buy zinc from :/

Edit: Also got my suit up to max slots last night. What's the max slots for a multitool and where do I get me one?

Maximum is 24. Easiest way, imo, is to go to a Vy'keen system and look for the buildings with one landing pad attached to them. Those will always have a multitool in them that has one more or less slot than your current. Korvax systems will often have a multitool in those buildings, too, but I'm not sure if they always do. You can also get them from talking to Vy'keen or from Vy'keen monoliths sometimes. (Plus, the Vy'keen have unique multitool models.)

curb

Banned
Maximum is 24. Easiest way, imo, is to go to a Vy'keen system and look for the buildings with one landing pad attached to them. Those will always have a multitool in them that has one more or less slot than your current. Korvax systems will often have a multitool in those buildings, too, but I'm not sure if they always do. You can also get them from talking to Vy'keen or from Vy'keen monoliths sometimes. (Plus, the Vy'keen have unique multitool models.)

Interesting. I must have bad luck. My last two Vy'keen systems have produced only multitools with one less slot than my current one.

SomTervo

Im now on the starter planet
of the 3rd Galaxy
And this little guy was waiting for me. It was the tallest i saw so far with 7m, the tallest i saw before was 5m. Still dont saw a tallneck mofo so far. :(

Do things get any weirder as we progress through galaxies?

It's ridiculous that's not in the game if not.

daveo42

Banned
Can anyone explain the Extreme Conditions milestones and what the 1.07 changes brought to how it works and has been fixed?

It should be cumulative hours spent on the surface of a planet (not in ship) with extreme conditions across all worlds now, similar to how the other planet-based achievements were counted. An extreme planet is considerd one with at least one field being colored red when you land there, either related to weather or sential presence. Prior to the patch you had to spend a total of 32 Sols on a single planet to get Rank 10 without leaving the atmosphere, otherwise the timer reset.

Multiplayer.

NOsOwIt.gif

It should be cumulative hours spent on the surface of a planet (not in ship) with extreme conditions across all worlds now, similar to how the other planet-based achievements were counted. An extreme planet is considerd one with at least one field being colored red when you land there, either related to weather or sential presence. Prior to the patch you had to spend a total of 32 Sols on a single planet to get Rank 10 without leaving the atmosphere, otherwise the timer reset.

Oh so it's not just if its radioactive or toxic or something?

Is there a way to see those details if you've already landed on the planet? I know the ones you mean where you land and see the planet specifics.

I'm really sad that the spoiler thread for this game is completely dead. Not because I want to be spoiled on things, but because it's a symptom of the game's biggest problem—that there's actually nothing important to spoil.

I fell in love with the world of The Witness and put up with mind-numbing line puzzles just out of hope there was something deeper, but that game's narrative stopped just short of exposing something more. No Man's Sky does the same thing. I just wanted... more.

I'm really sad that the spoiler thread for this game is completely dead. Not because I want to be spoiled on things, but because it's a symptom of the game's biggest problem—that there's actually nothing important to spoil.

I fell in love with the world of The Witness and put up with mind-numbing line puzzles just out of hope there was something deeper, but that game's narrative stopped just short of exposing something more. No Man's Sky does the same thing. I just wanted... more.

There's a live stream going on right now with that Stat guy exploring the game's lore. Maybe that'll scratch the itch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSRuZmPUtA

N° 2048

Everytime I check this thread, I'm kind of hoping someone found something insane or never before seen..

It is starting to look like we have seen everything. I still love the 50+ hours I put into this game and look forward to content updates.

curb

Banned
Everytime I check this thread, I'm kind of hoping someone found something insane or never before seen..

It is starting to look like we have seen everything. I still love the 50+ hours I put into this game and look forward to content updates.

Not to be cynical but I imagine it'll be like people searching for hours (like people do for GTAV secrets) and never find anything because there's nothing to find. I hope I'm wrong though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's very similar to Destiny, and it's rather good. No idea why it wouldn't appeal to you.

It doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't? Not every game is for everybody, and The Division just didn't look interesting to me. I didn't find the setting compelling, and I'm not a fan of online only games. I'm also not into multi-player gaming. I know it's optional in The Division, but I've watched more than a handful of videos on it, and it just doesn't do it for me, personally.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Shit, I was looking at it as a zen game before it came out. would tell people would be nice to just go home after work and just explore. Maybe that's why I don't feel cheated out of anything or much of anything.

I agree that it makes for a good Zen game. Two problems for me though: 1) it's not the zen game I wanted nor expected, and 2) it's not worth the $60 price tag. If it was $20 I'd have bought it just to poke around in and have fun exploring, but $60 is just too steep a price for what it turned out to be. I paid $12 for Minecraft, I paid $20 for Cities Skylines, I paid $15 for Starbound, $10 for Terraria, hell I paid $40 for Elite Dangerous!!!!

No Man's Sky is a zen game, but it just isn't a good value for the zen game that it is.

BouncyFrag

I wish I had read the 'spoiler' thread before buying NMS, but didn't because of this tweet:
tumblr_ob3dvp6s9M1v3nz95o1_500.png

This duped me and I can only blame myself.

I wish I had read the 'spoiler' thread before buying NMS, but didn't because of this tweet:
tumblr_ob3dvp6s9M1v3nz95o1_500.png

This duped me and I can only blame myself.

Forgot about that tweet. After spending dozens of hours and getting to the center, the game is not exactly "filled with surprises." Unless you count what was talked about and shown before release but missing from the game. That was a surprise.

Hoodbury

I had an idea to recycle everything I could to try and build up zinc. Found two things, now I have 17 and I need 20.

So I decided to go walking. About as far as 15 mins walk from my ship (stopping at camps/landmarks along the way) until I found a camp with a homing beacon. So even though my ship is still disabled, at least it can fly on its own via a homing beacon thingy.

Yay?

Anyway, the hunt continues. Still looking for a camp that has a shop i can buy zinc from :/

Are you running your scanner frequently? Zinc has it's own icon if I recall correctly. Just keep scanning and looking for that icon.

Are you running your scanner frequently? Zinc has it's own icon if I recall correctly. Just keep scanning and looking for that icon.

Indeed. It's the yellow Oxide icon. It correlates to Iron, Zinc, and Titanium. When you use your scanner though, Iron will not show up (because it's so common). Zinc shows up. I think Titanium might also show up, but I'm not 100% sure. Zinc is more common than Titanium so by default when you use your scan function and see the yellow icon pop up, that ought to be the flower you're looking for.

Indeed. It's the yellow Oxide icon. It correlates to Iron, Zinc, and Titanium. When you use your scanner though, Iron will not show up (because it's so common). Zinc shows up. I think Titanium might also show up, but I'm not 100% sure. Zinc is more common than Titanium so by default when you use your scan function and see the yellow icon pop up, that ought to be the flower you're looking for.

The icons are only for elements in crystal and plant form.
Iron is never available as one of those (just in rocks etc.) so it doesn't show.

You can have duplicate stacks of the items you break down from your ship.

Get yourself maxed out on cubes for example in one stack, 100. Break down the Beam Impact Theta to generate a dismantled cube, transfer from suit to ship at least two cubes, then transfer that stack back to the suit. Then rebuild your Beam Impact Theta.

Repeat for as many slots as you have empty in your suit. No need to keep finding crashed ships.

The icons are only for elements in crystal and plant form.
Iron is never available as one of those (just in rocks etc.) so it doesn't show.

Gotcha. That must ne why Neutrals and Silicates that are in rock form e.g. Heridium, Iridium, Gold (non-crystal), Copper, etc.. don't show up either.

You can have duplicate stacks of the items you break down from your ship.

Get yourself maxed out on cubes for example in one stack, 100. Break down the Beam Impact Theta to generate a dismantled cube, transfer from suit to ship at least two cubes, then transfer that stack back to the suit. Then rebuild your Beam Impact Theta.

Repeat for as many slots as you have empty in your suit. No need to keep finding crashed ships.

Great advice. Haven't got on the cube-stacking train yet (haven't come across a planet with them), but I'll definitely try this out when I do.

Seiniyta

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/09/development-update/

Not sure if it deserves it's own thread:

Hello,
Over the last few weeks since No Man’s Sky released we’ve been inundated with feedback and discussion about No Man’s Sky.

No matter what feedback you gave us, you have been heard and we are listening carefully. Thank you.

Here’s what we’ve been busy with over the 2-3 weeks since release:
• A community/support management team has been brought on board.
• Support issues raised are been categorised by that team, and we are fixing them in order of priority.
• We’ve released 4 patches for PC and 4 patches for PS4.
• We’ve written up patch notes for all those patches. You can find them here.

What matters now, as always, is what we do rather than what we say. We’re developers, and our focus is first on resolving any issues people have with the game as it is, then on future free updates which will improve, expand and build on the No Man’s Sky universe.

This is a labour of love for us, and it’s just the beginning.

If you have suggestions please mail feedback@hellogames.co.uk

Gotcha. That must ne why Neutrals and Silicates that are in rock form e.g. Heridium, Iridium, Gold (non-crystal), Copper, etc.. don't show up either.

yup, though for those you get at least some transparent coloring of the shape that you can mine. Only Carbon and Iron doesn't as they are not in that form either. But I think your reasoning that they are too common is the practical reason behind their absence in the scanner haha

Top Bottom