• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

belvedere

Junior Butler
About as straight as you can get and I'm glad there's plans for expanding the game.

As far as answering to some people's conspiracy-laden expectations, they'll never be satisfied.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think ill give this another shot once they actually release something more.

im not satisfied yet with the 60 i spent on it, but im not inclined to go through the hassle of begging for a refund either. game still intrigues me enough, and hopefully the "base building" is a good enough hook to keep playing

especially once all of the bugs are worked out...

i think ill give this another shot once they actually release something more.

im not satisfied yet with the 60 i spent on it, but im not inclined to go through the hassle of begging for a refund either. game still intrigues me enough, and hopefully the "base building" is a good enough hook to keep playing

especially once all of the bugs are worked out...

I think that if you aren't actively playing it but still intrigued with the game as well as what it can continue to offer, then yeah, wait it out until more bugs are quashed and some additional content and/or features are rolled out.

Seiniyta

Nah, it'll just turn into another circle jerk if it has its own thread.

Thanks for the update though! Looking forward to them finally locking down enough of the performance issues so that they can get moving on other stuff.

Fair enough, it's been rather exhausting. I get why people are upset but it's tiresome as well. And I can't help myself not looking at those threads >.>

Aenima

Do things get any weirder as we progress through galaxies?

It's ridiculous that's not in the game if not.

I dont think things get weirder, i found some weird stuff in my 1st galaxy (crazy land shapes like giant rock rings with squares on top) that i dont saw anywhere else. But just now i saw the tallest creature in my game so far, also when i was close to the center i landed in a very hostile planet, with frenzy sentinels and half of the creatures there was hostile too, i ented up shooting everthing that moved. :p

I have an impression that where i am now seems to have some sort of effect on creature sizes in some planets.
Just landed in a planet full of 5meter, 6 legged cows, there was alot of them and they was all so big that my controller rumble was shaking all the time near them. Then a few planets after that landed in another planet but this time the creature was real tiny. 30cm t-rex shape dinos.

I dont have spent much times on planets yet in this galaxy as i just want to move close to the center and then explore some stuff there, this stuff i just saw while landing to restock materials.

After all this time, the most planets and creatures already have a familiar look, like they dont change much from what i already seen... but once in a while i land in one special planet that have something new to show me, witch is enough to keep me interested in exploring more planets to see what else is out there.

Fair enough, it's been rather exhausting. I get why people are upset but it's tiresome as well. And I can't help myself not looking at those threads >.>

Agreed, the overall hate the game gets on the name of a somewhat distorted view of consumer rights is pretty damn scary. I've seen people call Sean, a guy they never met and likely won't ever meet, a scumbag repeatedly in those threads. It's ridiculous and the tone is so aggressive that IMO is just beyond justification.

But hey, we're gamers right? We need to be mad as fuck about something!

Holy shit, I finally found a high-value resource planet! It's just full of rich, sweet sac venom and over 25K credits each. A little bit of farming and I'll be able to afford that dream ship in no time.

Flipyap

I wish I had read the 'spoiler' thread before buying NMS, but didn't because of this tweet:
tumblr_ob3dvp6s9M1v3nz95o1_500.png

This duped me and I can only blame myself.
I'm not sure what you think you'd find in it, but the 'spoiler' thread was very positive and so was everyone who played the game before the outrage circus came to town.

There should be an ignore list for threads. Although I'm not sure if that's feasible on vbulletin forums.
Hoo boy, do I have good news for you! Hide Forum Threads - A Tampermonkey script for hiding unwanted GAF threads (it's great).

Listening to the Giant Bomb podcast where they utter completely reasonable comments about the blacklash and refunds (as well as their general opinion on the game. I think Alex from the Beast Cast best described the core of the game and how it can be appealing) makes GAF's carnival of stupid very embarrassing to watch.
Probably the first time I need some sort of echo chamber on here just to be able to discuss the game while I play it.

thats true. but those two things aren't mutually exclusive

I can absolutely understand if you say: guys, people are tearing us apart. let's not concentrate on that discussion and dive into the toxicity but work with every ounce we have to make the game better.

would be lovely though, if there would be a little money left after hiring the customer support team, to hire a pr team, which can deal with that.

I think that's what the community/support team is.

Z3M0G

Just went to see the new Star Trek. Movie makes me want to play. The game came to mind during several points in the movie. I plan to put in a good session tonight!

But it may also be due to a NMS video that I kept seeing in the theater. It looks like it is for a completely different game... so exciting looking with crazy space battles and the like. But it is also a very recent trailer since it shows off the inventory system and shows swapping of ships.

They really take the very best insanely rare perfect shots of gameplay to advertise this. Something you may only see for half a second within 50 hours of playtime. And sell the game on that... :/

I agree that it makes for a good Zen game. Two problems for me though: 1) it's not the zen game I wanted nor expected, and 2) it's not worth the $60 price tag. If it was $20 I'd have bought it just to poke around in and have fun exploring, but $60 is just too steep a price for what it turned out to be. I paid $12 for Minecraft, I paid $20 for Cities Skylines, I paid $15 for Starbound, $10 for Terraria, hell I paid $40 for Elite Dangerous!!!!

No Man's Sky is a zen game, but it just isn't a good value for the zen game that it is.
So. Much. This. I paid for it mostly with trade in credit, but the $80cdn price tag is BRUTAL...

BouncyFrag

I'm not sure what you think you'd find in it, but the 'spoiler' thread was very positive and so was everyone who played the game before the outrage circus came to town.
Finding out that when
you get to the center of the Galaxy, you just get flung out to the outer reaches of another galaxy with the same three dull alien races, generic buildings and star bases
would have tempered my desire to find out all of these 'surprises' that Sean tweeted about. I don't think I'm being unfair or outrageous with my critique. With this page from Hello Games touting all of the science fiction books/stories that had inspired them, I didn't think this game would eventually devolve to hunting down space ships with more inventory slots since the inventory management is such a pain.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2014/10/your-favourite-classic-sci-fi-books/
When I reached the galaxie's center I do think I heard Isaac Asimov roll over in his grave.

Do I sell all but a few Gravtino balls?

They are needed to craft the strongest environmental protection upgrades.

Before that I would just craft whatever is needed on the planet (the lower upgrades only require common materials), but you can get 48 slots for the suit so fast that I just keep them all installed now. So in principle you only need 4 of the balls.

Loudninja

They are needed to craft the strongest environmental protection upgrades.

Before that I would just craft whatever is needed on the planet (the lower upgrades only require common materials), but you can get 48 slots for the suit so fast that I just keep them all installed now. So in principle you only need 4 of the balls.
Yeah that is what I thought, thanks :)

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Found 1st portal after 10 mins on closest planet after going through black hole, it's a cool idea - Stargate fan. Hoping it gets implemented when they do add content giving a little variety besides jumping in a ship to go.

warlock7

Neo Member
My Atlas Path appears to have disappeared after the last patch?!?! Anybody else see this happen? I went back to my first system and my first planet but can't find the crash site anymore... Wouldn't you think that you'd mark it on the map as a space explorer?

My Atlas Path appears to have disappeared after the last patch?!?! Anybody else see this happen? I went back to my first system and my first planet but can't find the crash site anymore... Wouldn't you think that you'd mark it on the map as a space explorer?

Same thing happened to me. I'm not sure what it's about, but I've been told that you just have to make a few jumps and eventually you'll get another anomaly which will get you back on the path. I haven't tested this as yet because I found a nifty group of planets that have kept me busy, but hopefully they are right.

Holy shit, I finally found a high-value resource planet! It's just full of rich, sweet sac venom and over 25K credits each. A little bit of farming and I'll be able to afford that dream ship in no time.

So jealous! I've finally found a decently resource rich planet with a couple of resources labeled as "exotic", but they are strangely worth next to nothing. I would love to find one of the high value planets and get a new ride. I don't hate the crashed ship grind, but I would really love to move on from that loop.

warlock7

Neo Member
Same thing happened to me. I'm not sure what it's about, but I've been told that you just have to make a few jumps and eventually you'll get another anomaly which will get you back on the path. I haven't tested this as yet because I found a nifty group of planets that have kept me busy, but hopefully they are right.

Maybe it only works with jumps to new systems? I made seven jumps to find my way back to my original system... No anomalies.

Eventually an anomaly will turn up, and you can get an atlas marker from that.
Until you finish the path, then you just get black holes and useful items

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
That 48 capacity ship thing doesnt work for me.

Every crashed ship I go to usually has less or the same as what I have now.

Every. One.

Raist

Banned
All right. After a couple days brek, time to go back to finding Cochese's system.
Hyperdrive check. fuel check. Stocks of Zinc check. Let's do this.

I know I've been playing too much NMS when I'm driving and see a plant and think to myself, "I bet that has some zinc."

simpsonsneeeeeeeeeeerd.jpg

Huh can't remember. Didn't write it down. I've got the coordinates though.

Oh neat. I haven't been following methods people are using for finding things other people have discovered. What are the coordinates and how do you go about checking them against your position in the galaxy you're in?

Raist

Banned
Oh neat. I haven't been following methods people are using for finding things other people have discovered. What are the coordinates and how do you go about checking them against your position in the galaxy you're in?

It's one of the big "secrets" of the game I'd say. It's "hidden", but in your face the whole time.
It's the character string you see when you look at one of these orange beacon things.

At some point I started wondering if it was some random stuff, or if there was any use, so I did some testing and I figured it out. So I asked here for people to give me there coordinates so I could test my idea. Only TheCochese gave me his. Only issue is that if I'm right in how that stuff works, he's pretty much on the other side of the galaxy xD

It's one of the big "secrets" of the game I'd say. It's "hidden", but in your face the whole time.
It's the character string you see when you look at one of these orange beacon things.

At some point I started wondering if it was some random stuff, or if there was any use, so I did some testing and I figured it out. So I asked here for people to give me there coordinates so I could test my idea. Only TheCochese gave me his. Only issue is that if I'm right in how that stuff works, he's pretty much on the other side of the galaxy xD

That's a great theory and worth checking out! I'll definitely take a peek at mine this evening after I get off work... and have some beer... and post it later.

Raist

Banned
Finding out that when *spoiler* would have tempered my desire to find out all of these 'surprises' that Sean tweeted about. I don't think I'm being unfair or outrageous with my critique. With this page from Hello Games touting all of the science fiction books/stories that had inspired them, I didn't think this game would eventually devolve to hunting down space ships with more inventory slots since the inventory management is such a pain.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2014/10/your-favourite-classic-sci-fi-books/
When I reached the galaxie's center I do think I heard Isaac Asimov roll over in his grave.

I agree even after putting in probably 80 hours to do it. Sean Murray was so hush hush about not wanting to give too much of the game away, but in the end there was less in the game than what had already been shown. That's why people are interpreting it as a cover-up to incite sales. A simple "The game won't have everything we've shown/talked about at launch." would've gone a long ways but also would've impacted sales. Don't go on The Colbert Show and say someone will have to tell you what you look like if there's no multiplayer whatsoever. Those questions are gone over beforehand, so it's not as if he was put on the spot on live TV.

All that being said, I did enjoy the game but would've enjoyed it magnitudes more if the features shown/talked about were in. Here's hoping they make their way back into the game after they get it stable.

After the hate dies down for NMS and if we have another OT then maybe it could be named:

No Man's Sky |OT4| Temperature Stabilizing

lol or |OT3| Weather Update: Storm Clearing

I've made a post a few days ago explaining how it might work. But by now I'm pretty sure it's correct.

There's an "endgame" spoiler in there though, so don't untag the last 4 paragraphs if you don't (wanna) know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215338593&postcount=5078

Great work here, btw. I'll definitely give it a poke when I get home.

putermcgee

Regarding Atlas Stones, I mistakenly saw that
you should have 10 on hand to get the *real* ending. I have one, but I sometimes see other characters selling them. I'm also nowhere near the center (based off what I've heard elsewhere). Should I hang onto this one, or will I be able to scrounge up enough later on, when needed?

My first planet is named "p" because I hit the wrong button on the controller.
Did the same thing last night because I wanted to shift to capital letters, but hit the submit button instead.

Tumle

Why feel the need to defend it though. Just simply enjoy what you enjoy as long as it's not harming anything nor anyone. That's my perspective at least.

32 ship (not including the large star ships) battle before heading to work this morning. Largest I've seen. Also noticed that often when i hit enemies with the phase beam I can take their ship shields down to a sliver and they appear to have their engines disabled but can still attack me
Just a quick question.. When shooting at the Pirates.. Do you ever hit the star ships?
I made that mistake a couple of times and they start attacking me even if it wasn't on purpose and in the heat of the fight :)

Raist

Banned
Regarding Atlas Stones, I mistakenly saw that
you should have 10 on hand to get the *real* ending. I have one, but I sometimes see other characters selling them. I'm also nowhere near the center (based off what I've heard elsewhere). Should I hang onto this one, or will I be able to scrounge up enough later on, when needed?

It doesn't have anything to do with a "real" ending. It's just to finish the Atlas Path, nothing more. You can buy them at any time (although it will be insanely expensive) and find more. There will potentially be a point of no return if you sell one or more though.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just a quick question.. When shooting at the Pirates.. Do you ever hit the star ships?
I made that mistake a couple of times and they start attacking me even if it wasn't on purpose and in the heat of the fight :)

I've done this twice. One time I had destroyed 29 pirates and accidentally blasted a star ship. It didn't end well.

mokeyjoe

It doesn't have anything to do with a "real" ending. It's just to finish the Atlas Path, nothing more. You can buy them at any time (although it will be insanely expensive) and find more. There will potentially be a point of no return if you sell one or more though.

I don't think the Atlas Path is any sort of ending. Certainly not if the lore is to be believed. Although how far they're going to go down that Atlas/Abandoned building/portal route I don't know.

HeeHo

I have pretty much stopped playing after getting the platinum trophy but one odd thing I noticed when I was short 1 Atlas stone for the Atlas path was that after I had bought an Atlas stone from a merchant, I had a hard time finding the last Atlas interface I had been to. I thought maybe I could turn them into any Atlas interface, not just the last one you visit to turn them in. I visited one I had previously been to( at least I am pretty sure, I named the system and went to all the planets) and it gave me another stone even though I had already visited it and I had just bought my last stone from a merchant.

This was with the latest patch too. The only thing I did different was that I had warped quite a few times to other systems and then I came back. I dunno if it'll work for anyone else short on an Atlas stone.

I'm not a big fan of the nebulas in NMS, and wish they were a rare thing with most systems being just black space, but I wish the nebulas that do exist looked more like Homeworld (Remastered). Homeworld's systems were the first space game I know of that featured these vast colorful nebulas, but theirs were always mixed in with patches of black space, and often were multicolored and more detailed. Even though they are stylized, they feel less so than NMS's nebulas, and honestly just more pleasant to look at.

I did a scan on the free exploration warp map. The system it found had an anomaly. This could has just been a fluke, though.

Edit: apparently a fluke

Top Bottom