• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

belvedere

Junior Butler
Someone on Reddit is researching the free look limits in the various cockpits.

yoNAovX.jpg

magawolaz

Just found a building without doors, is that common?

Also found my first portal! I tried using the reddit method but no dice... left the planet to go on its moon and found one in 30 seconds lol.

Poetaster

Banned
Someone on Reddit is researching the free look limits in the various cockpits.
They probably limited how far you can look because the ship isn't being rendered when inside of it, only the bits of the cockpit are actually there. Being able to look as far as the bubble can with the explorer would break the illusion.

gspec

Just found a building without doors, is that common?

Also found my first portal! I tried using the reddit method but no dice... left the planet to go on its moon and found one in 30 seconds lol.

What happen when you go through? Do you lose your ship?

They probably limited how far you can look because the ship isn't being rendered when inside of it, only the bits of the cockpit are actually there. Being able to look as far as the bubble can with the explorer would break the illusion.

That's a reasonable explanation, yeah. But kind of funny that the explorer ship has a more constricting range of view. You'd think the explorer ships would have a 180º cockpit bubble, if not even close to 270º.

I still would love to have a rear-view option for ships in general though. At least like a HUD screen. Would be really useful when dogfighting.

Seiniyta

I’ve been thinking of what I’d like to see added to No Man’s Sky in the future. And I think there are few things I’ve been thinking about I haven’t seen much anywhere else.I have only time for one today (got like 10 ideas I feel like they could realistically put in) So here we go:

1. Building/plot creator.

So as we know we’ll get base building and freighters in a future update as outlined by Hello Games after they listed the 1.03 patchnotes (the day 1 patch). However I feel like currently the buildings are way too samey. Understandable considering the size of the team. However I feel there is a way to get an almost endless amount of unique discoverable things on a planet and that is through a kind of building editor (think of Spore Building editor)

Imagine you acquire your Freighter after much work (or you stole it, you bastard) and you sit down in your fancy control room. And it has a button that takes you in a some kind of holodeck/editor room where you can construct buildings.

At first, what you can build is limited by the size of the editor space. Which you can upgrade numerous times until it mirrors the size of the flat ground/plateaus that are around buildings in the current game in radius with a 128 meter height limit.

It’s not only buildings you can place on that plot however. You also can put down any tree or creatures you’ve ever scanned and that will wander around. And any trees and rocks as well. You also can put some voxel terrain down and give the area a more natural look if that’s what you’re going for.

Besides being a base for yourself however here is the big thing which would make this extra cool:

You can upload your base like a discovery and then gets redistributed to other players. Replacing one of the regular building spots by a user made area which the player who discovers it can scan all the stuff, knowing who made it, where he found the creatures and planets and so forth!

Encountering those would be fairly rare of course, not every planet would have them. But it would be something pretty awesome or undoubtedly phallic (at times) to come across.

You could even expand the feature more and let people make dungeons and challenges other players have to get through to get some sort of treasure!

Poetaster

Banned
I've never found one without a door. I thought I had a couple of times but I'd just missed the ramp. They aren't always very obvious.
I've come across these buildings without doors a couple of times as well. Every single one of them was either fully or partially submerged in water. I'll record a video next time I find one.

magawolaz

What happen when you go through? Do you lose your ship?
;) You can go back to your ship.

I've never found one without a door. I thought I had a couple of times but I'd just missed the ramp. They aren't always very obvious.
Yeah I used to miss the ramp all the times. But this one was different: https://youtu.be/MRBOXF0RWeM
Maybe because it was abandoned? Yet I did find another submerged structure that you could enter...

Edit: ^ ah, seems to be normal.

theWB27

I'm not a big fan of the nebulas in NMS, and wish they were a rare thing with most systems being just black space, but I wish the nebulas that do exist looked more like Homeworld (Remastered). Homeworld's systems were the first space game I know of that featured these vast colorful nebulas, but theirs were always mixed in with patches of black space, and often were multicolored and more detailed. Even though they are stylized, they feel less so than NMS's nebulas, and honestly just more pleasant to look at.

I'm hoping the new cloud tech he talked about does something significant like this. Sometimes the sky just looks awful and there isn't nearly enough look into the black abyss moments.

Raist

Banned
HXpmKTs.jpg

I've named the galaxy and planet in your honor. It's full of Emeril and Nickle.

Not sure what kind of name I'd find... :p

Not that I'd find out anytime soon. They weren't kidding when they said they were spreading people all over the place. If I get how this thing works, imagine a top down view of the galaxy is the Mercedes logo, Cochese, you and I started at each end of the 3 branches >.>

Raist

Banned
Heh. Just realized you can fly at an "intermediate" speed in space (~700u) by holding O and L2 together. Very handy for mining thamium

besada

Banned
Not sure what kind of name I'd find... :p

Not that I'd find out anytime soon. They weren't kidding when they said they were spreading people all over the place. If I get how this thing works, imagine a top down view of the galaxy is the Mercedes logo, Cochese, you and I started at each end of the 3 branches >.>
I named it Raist, after you. The galaxy is NMSOT. Also, it has Vortex Cubes.

Just a quick question.. When shooting at the Pirates.. Do you ever hit the star ships?
I made that mistake a couple of times and they start attacking me even if it wasn't on purpose and in the heat of the fight :)

i make a point to never fire when a trade ship is in the vicinity/direction i'll always way untill they move along to minimise any risk

Wozman23

I've had 3 planets where i am missing 1 animal, i get a blip showing on the visor, it turns red when i get close, but when i get to where it is it is just a red dot floating in the air.

So either a) my final creature is a microbe, or 2) it's fucked.

I had one like that.
A tiny little fly that I'd never have even noticed if not for the red dot.

Severance

It pays to planet hop in this game. I make it a point to at least land for a bit on every planet in each system I visit. Some really great places hidden away.. Although yes, a lot of planets look the same. You really have to explore. Some musings on various places:

I always go to systems with moons. After 32 hours... I finally found a planet with two moons. Of course, they are on opposing sides so you can never see both at the same time while on the planet. That's too bad. Is it possible to find a planet with more than two?

I found a planet full of life, 14 different species. That's the most I've seen on one anyway. I finally saw some predator/prey relationships going. A T-Rex type Dino with two horns and a spiked tail was rampaging around. Some pretty basic animations so it was anticlimactic. Oh, and also found some butterfly type flying insects. There were 8 in one spot flying around, that was pretty awesome.

Just found a planet with drop pods everywhere. Why can't it be crashed ships? Seriously 8 in extremely close proximity, and I could keep going. Kinda neat I guess.

Poyunch

Well, looks like I hadn't seen the Gravitino Ball's true form till now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSl8lpeLklA

First time I saw them was on a peaceful Sentinel moon that was dead. I thought they were neat and realized what they were when I couldn't scan them.

Having dealt with a lot of aggro sentinels planets before landing on this moon I was like, "Man this place is so nice and quiet, now I'm gonna have to cause some shit. :("

Omadahl

Banned
So I found a moon with gravitino balls everywhere, but the sentinels are ultra-hostile (shoot me just for checking a monolith) and it's -100 C at it's high peak. Is it worth staying here to reap gravitino balls or are they more common than I think?

Current coordinates:

YUDH:01B5:0081:01B5:0047

Just downing trade ships towards that trophy since I'm not kitted out for sentinel ships or pirates yet.

The Bernal Heights System
Planet "Dirty Bird"

See ya in the World!

Is this normal:

While farming pearls I accidently reached level 4 alarm sentinel status and figured I could see my first Walker. It was docile as the alarm went already off. Destroying it gave me level 5 instantly (which was no joke) and that persisted even after killing seemingly all Sentinels.
Even after entering buildings etc.
No other sentinels spawned though, not even the standard drones.
When I left the planet I was greeted by a Sentinel ship warping in (also my first). Destroying it set the alarm to level one and I got 3-4 more waves of ships with increasing numbers.
Then the alarm phase was finally gone.

Aenima

Well, looks like I hadn't seen the Gravitino Ball's true form till now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSl8lpeLklA

That was the 1st gravitino balls i saw in the game, just recently i found ones that was a bright light sphere.

Thers also 2 forms of Vortex Cubes. Some floaty red ones that atract sentinels, and other ones u pick from inside caves and have the exact shape of the vortex cube icon, those ones dont atract sentinels.

Is this normal:

While farming pearls I accidently reached level 4 alarm sentinel status and figured I could see my first Walker. It was docile as the alarm went already off. Destroying it gave me level 5 instantly (which was no joke) and that persisted even after killing seemingly all Sentinels.
Even after entering buildings etc.
No other sentinels spawned though, not even the standard drones.
When I left the planet I was greeted by a Sentinel ship warping in (also my first). Destroying it set the alarm to level one and I got 3-4 more waves of ships with increasing numbers.
Then the alarm phase was finally gone.

When i got the level 5 wanted thing it also dont got away, i exited the planet and when the sentinel ships appeared i entered the planet again and thats when the wanted level started to fade away untill it was gone.

Razgreez

That seems to be a glitch. I've encountered it when escaping from walkers and into a building. Sometimes your wanted level instantly drops. The walker might be walking away or simply patrolling outside. If you attack it you gain an instant 5 star level and it persists till you quit or exit the system even if sentinels don't show up

When i got the level 5 wanted thing it also dont got away, i exited the planet and when the sentinel ships appeared i entered the planet again and thats when the wanted level started to fade away untill it was gone.

That seems to be a glitch. I've encountered it when escaping from walkers and into a building. Sometimes your wanted level instantly drops. The walker might be walking away or simply patrolling outside. If you attack it you gain an instant 5 star level and it persists till you quit or exit the system even if sentinels don't show up

I see. The game seems to get very wonky when you don't fight the Sentinels immediately.

Warped (on purpose) into my first system discovered by someone else. No planets visited/uploaded :( Went to one of the moons and it's such a nice planet, too. Couldn't even bring myself to troll with the naming.

OuterLimits

I'm not a big fan of the nebulas in NMS, and wish they were a rare thing with most systems being just black space, but I wish the nebulas that do exist looked more like Homeworld (Remastered). Homeworld's systems were the first space game I know of that featured these vast colorful nebulas, but theirs were always mixed in with patches of black space, and often were multicolored and more detailed. Even though they are stylized, they feel less so than NMS's nebulas, and honestly just more pleasant to look at.

Some of the systems bright neon colors kind of hurt my eyes a bit. Bright green or orange especially makes me cringe. I do enjoy when I get a more dark space system.

Excited about the updates in the future. I actually kind of like some of the lore in the game. The Monolith stories are somewhat interesting. However, much like everything else in the game, it's very shallow and really needs to be expanded upon.

barit

Found my first creature on two feets. A little funny guy (that's excatly how I named it haha) with arms and beak like some sort of Pokémon wandering around in the woods. His movement looked super funny because he was so fast. Had a good laugh chasing him

Some of the systems bright neon colors kind of hurt my eyes a bit. Bright green or orange especially makes me cringe. I do enjoy when I get a more dark space system.

Speaking of bright neon colors, I warped into a system tonight that basically looks like a nebula of Mountain Dew. So of course I had to name the system Keighley in tribute to early NMS advocate Geoff Keighley. So far the planets are Dew Prime, Tostito V, and V'ga. Dew Prime is actually the first blue-skied planet I've been to, but it's quite desolate, except for appropriately green lakes.

It's strange that the daytime skies in this game are one color, but then it turns night and suddenly the sky has completely changed to whatever the nebula color is. In the case of Dew Prime it's blue during the day and Mountain Dew at night.

On another note, have any of you found oceans or lakes that are teeming with life? Every time I see an ocean or lake I get excited and dive in, only to find it's often devoid of any fauna. If I'm lucky there will be one little group of something floating around. I guess it's impractical to expect hundreds of fish swimming around.

Number45

I've visited a planet that was pretty lush (and almost entirely hostile) that had decent sized lakes with decent life. Not hundreds, but definitely schools of maybe 40 or more fish.

Everything wanted to eat me.

Raist

Banned
Wait, how would someone get there if they had your coordinates? You can't enter coordinates, can you?

They're coordinates in 3D space. x,y,z essentially. If you know yours, and your destination, you can get there. Assuming I didn't fuck up my analysis of it.

But yeah, you can find your way through the galaxy with this. Also if you really like a planet and you HAVE TO GO BACK KATE, or want to share it, you can use that too.

I was on a planet last night that was considered a hot planet, but it also had tolerable temps. I think this had an affect on the terrain because it was mostly rock with a tie dye effect. Kind of like that rainbowy effect when certain metals are heated and then cooled.

Like this:

Named the planet "Rainbow Metal"

I have a few other planetary transmissions to get to before getting to that one, but I'll point it out again when I do share it. I love this game!

Top Bottom