• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

curb

Banned
i had to dig through my history and find to convince someone that the game isnt everything wed been shown. its a recreation of the original reddit post made by /u/MeetWayneKerr that outlined everything we were shown and told about in the past couple years that simply isnt present in the game we have today. its been removed from reddit for a while now and the authors account deleted, so its hard to find through reddit with a simple google search, but here it is

That reddit poster deleted his account for a reason.

But in less than 24 hours, the thread vanished because the user deleted their reddit account. (It was later revived.) That user, MeetWayneKerr, is Alex, a No Man's Sky superfan who just wanted to help.

"I wanted to take part in an interesting discussion, not put the gavel down on it," said Alex, who asked his last name be kept out of this story to protect his identity. "The torrent of negative attention I was getting was just more than I could handle."

VICE Gaming: Inside the Nasty Backlash Against 'No Man's Sky'

Thanks for looking out for us OT regulars though. It seems like you're really concerned for us.

Loudninja

That definitely could be. Given the architectural similarity it's likely that the regular monolith ruins are connected to the portals regardless. The Sentinels (Sean said) were supposed to have been left by an ancient race, so I assume they left all these ruins behind.

Is it a holiday weekend in Britain as well?

There's plenty of other NMS "Sean lied" threads for you to post your outrage in; this thread is for discussion of the game itself.

Also, I assume you mean "gyped" and not "japed", as I've never heard any racist stereotypes about the Japanese swindling people, so you probably just meant to use a racial epithet about the Romani/gypsy people, right?
Sony releases the patches so its more tricky think.

Its not in their hands anymore.

The Sentinel.

CrfdDYjUIAA83x6.jpg:large

- I've noticed ships with less slots than mine but cost a third more. Was I just lucky and got a good bargain?

- on that note, my current ship has much more health slots than my previous one. Can I check for that before buying or is that part of shield upgrades etc?

- I can now craft Grantine. Great but I don't have any blueprint that would require it. Same with some other materials. What gives?

- on that note, my current ship has much more health slots than my previous one. Can I check for that before buying or is that part of shield upgrades etc?

I believe it's tied to ship type, which is largely meaningless now but does still make a difference here and there. I think the industrial/hauler-style ships have the most health slots and the science-style ships the least, but you'll want to double-check this.

Raist

Banned
- I've noticed ships with less slots than mine but cost a third more. Was I just lucky and got a good bargain?

- I can now craft Grantine. Great but I don't have any blueprint that would require it. Same with some other materials. What gives?

Ship price is not just dependent on number of slots but also installed tech.

Health slots depend on ship type, e.g. fighters have 6, cargo 8, shitty little science ships 4.

Some are just alloys (there's several tiers) that are worth way more than the sum of their parts. Good to have if you want to play as a miner/trader.

I left my game on for longer than expected and my character must have died a couple of times. Now the fucked up part is my whole suit inventory is gone. Rare materials and all my Atlas stones :/. My grave does not give me any inventory back :/

magawolaz

All I see every time they come close to me.
large.jpg
What's this from?

Anyway I found a beautiful crashed ship, but I'm on a planet with sentinels on high alert and they keep spawning when I'm trying to transfer stuff. Fuck this shit.

EDIT: I did it! Dug a hole on the side of a mountain and hid there while dismantling and transfering stuff from the ship to the suit. Take that, sentinels!

Thanks for the kind comments. I've taken hundreds of screenshots in the game but most are ruined by icons on the HUD. Would love an option to hide them. I could spend hours just wandering around taking shots. Love it.

What's this from?

Pretty sure it's from Oblivion.

Raist

Banned
I left my game on for longer than expected and my character must have died a couple of times. Now the fucked up part is my whole suit inventory is gone. Rare materials and all my Atlas stones :/. My grave does not give me any inventory back :/

Works like Dark Souls. Each time you time you spawn a "grave" that replaces the previous one.

Thanks for the kind comments. I've taken hundreds of screenshots in the game but most are ruined by icons on the HUD. Would love an option to hide them. I could spend hours just wandering around taking shots. Love it.

There's a way around this. Go to the options menu or the inventory. Quit either of these (so pressing option or the touchpad again) and immediately press Share. Takes a bit of practice, but once you get the timing down you can take screens with no HUD.

Ship price is not just dependent on number of slots but also installed tech.

Health slots depend on ship type, e.g. fighters have 6, cargo 8, shitty little science ships 4.

Some are just alloys (there's several tiers) that are worth way more than the sum of their parts. Good to have if you want to play as a miner/trader.

Thanks!

Btw. does anyone know if the color of the planets in your ship display mean anything?
First time it was useful to me because a moon was hiding behind its planet in an atlas system.

Number45

Thanks!

Btw. does anyone know if the color of the planets in your ship display mean anything?
First time it was useful to me because a moon was hiding behind its planet in an atlas system.
I can't even work out what that display shows while in a planets atmosphere.

Raist

Banned
Thanks!

I think it's colour-coded according to how "harsh" they are. Haven't tested it extensively though.

Tumle

Not a single tweet from Sean Murray since August 18th?

That's some silence
Yea well I think I know why..
Because every "hater" will jump down his throat..
But if you check out there website there is a pretty recent update on what they are doing :)

DjRalford

I've got 3 trophies left before platinum, 3 more planets to scan all species and two warping trophies which will come with getting to the centre.

Jumped to my first theta locked star, every planet so far is an icy forest.

curb

Banned
Not a single tweet from Sean Murray since August 18th?

That's some silence

I wouldn't tweet either. The unfiltered vitriol is bad enough here on GAF. The Twitter cesspool would be infinitely worse. It's his personal account and they've been using their official channels to convey status updates and I don't blame him for doing it that way.

Embearded

Fixed more stuff,the devs said they are 80% done with the bug fixing and thats before this patch.

I thought that 1.07 had fixed more than 80% of the problems. I must have misunderstood them.
I am visiting this thread every day to see if they added new content.

My biggest complaint is the lack of periodic table elements. It's great to have 2^64 planets but with only 19 elements and such a poor crafting system there is no fun...
I remember reading somewhere that they had included all of the periodic table, plus they had created some of their own, but i was disappointed...

pompidu

I'm gonna shelf this game till we get a content patch. I wanted to platinum this game but I don't want to spend 40hours trying to scan animals and standing in extreme weather.

Both are insanely obnoxious to attempt. Especially the zoology one, cause that last animal can be fucking anywhere.

Number45

I'm gonna shelf this game till we get a content patch. I wanted to platinum this game but I don't want to spend 40hours trying to scan animals and standing in extreme weather.

Both are insanely obnoxious to attempt. Especially the zoology one, cause that last animal can be fucking anywhere.
You can at least find the direction of far off undiscovered species with the analysis visor. They'll be small white circles that pulse - since I realised this I've had no trouble getting them all.

pompidu

You can at least find the direction of far off undiscovered species with the analysis visor. They'll be small white circles that pulse - since I realised this I've had no trouble getting them all.

I'm pretty sure it points to discovered creatures too. Could be wrong

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thank God I missed all of the nonsense. Here's my favourite planet so far. Sorry about the quality ... and I deleted them from my PS4 once I'd uploaded them. Yep, I'm stupid:

CCP4mIo.jpg

6yOfhA2.jpg

4fyf3oU.jpg

Severance

It took me long enough.. but I finally discovered the wonder of the railshot adaptor for the multitool. Sentinels were trivial enough already, but a fully upgraded multitool with railshot adaptor is ridiculous. You don't need a boltcaster or plasma grenade ever again. I was wondering why there were combat upgrades for your mining beam, haha. The description on the railshot adaptor was unclear to me so I overlooked it for so long.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It took me long enough.. but I finally discovered the wonder of the railshot adaptor for the multitool. Sentinels were trivial enough already, but a fully upgraded multitool with railshot adaptor is ridiculous. You don't need a boltcaster or plasma grenade ever again. I was wondering why there were combat upgrades for your mining beam, haha. The description on the railshot adaptor was unclear to me so I overlooked it for so long.

Can you dig with the railshot adaptor?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Thanks for the nudge, I was starting to wonder about that one as well.

Severance

Can you dig with the railshot adaptor?

Actually no, you might want to keep plasma grenades for that. There are upgrades for terrain destruction, but I guess that doesn't apply. It will destroy doors to operation centers, however. The only detrimental effect of the adaptor is it makes your omni tool overheat slightly faster.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can but I think it reduces it's effectiveness for mining. Not 100% sure on that though.

Thanks, I might give it a shot once I've found my perfect ship.

edit:

Actually no, you might want to keep plasma grenades for that. There are upgrades for terrain destruction, but I guess that doesn't apply. It will destroy doors to operation centers, however. The only detrimental effect of the adaptor is it makes your omni tool overheat slightly faster.

Well now I'm disappointed!

Top Bottom