• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Spyware

For me it's always:

LAND
AIR
SEA

Although once, and only once I got a vicious land crab last on the list, after some sea life, which was odd.
It's because it's
Land
Air
Sea
Underground

And the "underground" ones spawn both inside and around the entrances to caves, so it's easy to see them as land creatures. :)

Sumasshu

For me it's always:

LAND
AIR
SEA

Although once, and only once I got a vicious land crab last on the list, after some sea life, which was odd.
Yeah, it seems like it's usually in that order, but there are exceptions, making it unreliable for knowing where that last creature is. I have noticed that the first, top-left creature in the list is quite often the last one that I find (probably like 70% of the time). I don't know if that's just by chance, or if there's something special about that first one's odds of appearance.

Edit: @Spyware's post above. That's good to know about the underground ones.

Does something else ever appear on the screen? I could have sworn the image popped up once I scanned.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe it shows you the locations of local ships if you scan? Not sure, it's been a while since I've done it. But all the planets/moons are registered on the radar without having to scan. Which doesn't amount to much, given how poorly designed the radar is...

daveo42

Banned
I hate when I scan while in space to see where the planets are and get landmarks plastered on my screen until I leave the system. Let me remove them please.

Are you talking about the icons that show on planets you already or have yet to visit. I'm okay with them as long as they lead somewhere, even if it is off planet. The ones I hate are the underwater ruins that actually don't exist, even if there is a marker there. I've had one out of maybe 15 actually appear and now just do fly-bys to see instead of landing only to be disappointed.

I finished the Atlas Path and am now making my way to the centre using the free look mode on the map. Finding the furthest Black Hole I can reach and warping to it and then taking the Black Hole.

Will I see Nada and Polo again? Or do I have to follow one of the linear paths?

I only have Atlas Pass V1 and would like to get V2 and V3 from them.

I finished the Atlas Path and am now making my way to the centre using the free look mode on the map. Finding the furthest Black Hole I can reach and warping to it and then taking the Black Hole.

Will I see Nada and Polo again? Or do I have to follow one of the linear paths?

I only have Atlas Pass V1 and would like to get V2 and V3 from them.

If you've done the milestones that
Polo requires you'll eventually get both v2 and v3 Atlas Passes from him.
Yes you'll see them again.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I JUST FOUND A PORTAL! BY ACTUALLY TRYING!

Monoliths show you the way!

Yep, blue side, red side. They actually spiral in until you get to the portal and some think that if you turn them all on (Well ... that's me) it will possibly activate the portal. But how do you find where it begins?! Perhaps the number of pillars either side of the portal indicates the number of monoliths you need to activate it? Try working backwards from the portal to see if it works! Just follow the red instead of the blue.

There's that spiral theme again though. Fractals are mathematics and they spiral too ...

I JUST FOUND A PORTAL! BY ACTUALLY TRYING!

Monoliths show you the way!

Explain, please. Raist tried the "look through the monolith triangle" theory and that didn't work.

p.s. I found a monolith last night I hadn't seen before, it had a spinning circle on top.

They are really all over the place, just fly around. There's no cryptic path hidden anywhere.

That's not really true. I spent a good 30 minutes on a very small moon last night flying around trying to find one. Found two ruin sites in that time, no portals.

legacyzero

Banned
They are really all over the place, just fly around. There's no cryptic path hidden anywhere.

Sure, but this is the only one I've found deliberately. And I've heard through multiple players about this method. I thought it was dumb luck too until I ran into Monolith after Monolith.

I hit 3 before I found the portal.

vix

Does anyone think they'll eventually increase the inventory slot size/ship size or do you think the freighters will ease the hoarding aspect?

The fifth pillar of the game needs to be hoarding.

---

I'm at one of those deluxe landing pads where there's a Wheatley market bot and I keep seeing some amazing ships landing that I want to buy. 11 million for a 34 slot ship at the moment.

Hung Wei Lo

Generally speaking: first on the list, birds, middle, deer/buffalo with a variety of heads, last, fish.

hmm..that's what I was thinking..but that means it's something land based (according to my list.) It also means I have a LOT of searching to do, since this world consists of many small islands..

A few tips. Mind you I've still only cleared eight planets so far.

A other people have pointed out, there seems to be a pattern on how the list is ordered when you hit the "Options" button. Looks like it's Predators, Grazers, Fliers, (not sure of the order of the last two, either Cave Dwellers then Aquatic or the other way around).

The Scanner is your best friend. Holding L2 will give you a pulsing white dot (for distant out, of range creatures) which can be used as an impromptu radar. Obviously red dot shows you what still needs to be scanned.

Also, some creatures only appear at night.

thanks - I've tried hanging around during the day and at night, trying different areas, etc.. gave up and moved onto the next planet in this B class system..didn't look like anything special until I fell into a cave (oops) didn't notice at first, but it turns out it's a vortex cube planet, but the funny thing is these little fuckers won't register as a green exclamation mark unless I'm looking at the damn thing...guess I'll spend some time here. Only 50 some odd million more so I have bank in the case the ship of my dream comes up again lol

fake edit: damn. game crashed after backtracking through the cave so cubes I've already picked up start "disappearing" on me...ugh

real edit: bah. this 2nd planet was easier to find everything..too bad I have everything checked off, but only at 93%. This is more annoying when I'm actually trying to 100% a planet instead of naturally doing it while getting the trophy..

Sure, but this is the only one I've found deliberately. And I've heard through multiple players about this method. I thought it was dumb luck too until I ran into Monolith after Monolith.

So are you going to tell us this magic portal trick of yours?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
hmm..that's what I was thinking..but that means it's something land based (according to my list.) It also means I have a LOT of searching to do, since this world consists of many small islands..

Perhaps it's a nocturnal predator, they are sometimes pretty sparse and only appear sporadically.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I got a video rendering now with the footage I captured. But essentially, following the direction the Monoliths are pointing as you engage them.

Oh, I thought you was talking about the small monolith like things you learn languages from. Once activated, one side is blue and one side is red. If you look from the blue side and follow it it will lead you to another one. Activate that and continue until you reach a portal.

And that following the line of the texture was my frigin' idea. I kept suggesting it to a well known NMS Youtuber and eventually he tried it. Damn, where's my credit?

I got a video rendering now with the footage I captured. But essentially, following the direction the Monoliths are pointing as you engage them.

Oh, I thought you was talking about the small monolith like things you learn languages from. Once activated, one side is blue and one side is red. If you look from the blue side and follow it it will lead you to another one. Activate that and continue until you reach a portal.

And that following the line of the texture was my frigin' idea. I kept suggesting it to a well known NMS Youtuber and eventually he tried it. Damn, where's my credit?

I see, thanks. Gribble, yeah I've had the same thought about activating all the monoliths on the planet in order to turn on the portal. Likely a wild goose chase. I didn't know about the spiral thing though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I see, thanks. Gribble, yeah I've had the same thought about activating all the monoliths on the planet in order to turn on the portal. Likely a wild goose chase. I didn't know about the spiral thing though.

Not all of them (that would be insane), just enough to lead you to a portal. They also appear to lead you to ruins.

Aenima

Yup. Other day i tryed to follow the direction the player faces when is standing in front of a monolith. I was doing straight lines and was bumping into monolith after monolith, untill i saw a portal too.

So thers might be some truth about that. It can take alot of time as there are not many portals in a planet (if more than 1) so if u far from one, it will take alot to reach it.

sandkiller

so...is there any "science" to finding all lifeforms on a planet? like is the list in a particular order or something?

I've been walking, swimming(ugh) for a few hours now looking for the last lifeform, but have come up with nothing. I'm thinking it's a flying creature as from experience there may be two types of those (and 3 types that are water spawns)

..oh, and for the love of god,I don't care that my jetpack is depleted, or that there's a space anomaly, or to hold r2 to take off. please get rid of those tips..it's bad enough there's no photo mode in the ps4 edition and we have to deal with the landmarks on the screenshots..

I'm facing the same issue, the first on the list is hiding somewhere and I've already spent more than 2 hours on the planet - argh...

Portal theories.....

tumblr_mlp72jf4Ev1rvcvbio1_500.jpg

How To Find Portals

So yeah, either very dumb luck, or this is being consistently reproduced.

Interesting, I've never noticed the base spin before. I've also never seen that pyramid-shaped ruin type in your video, though I've come across ruin types I've only seen once, like a spherical one a few nights ago.

There are twelve pillars at the portals, six either side. Perhaps you have to activate twelve monoliths that point to it.

Yeah, perhaps the ruins radiate outward in 12 directions from the portal...

Jblanks

Do I have to actually be outside with the weather on an extreme planet to get the trophy or can I just build a cave and go AFK ?

vix

found this monolith tonight, never seen one of these before. the inside bit was spinning, the rings and the center part. i've seen spinning ones before though, just never this combination of features. they've always been the large, tall, rectangle ones before. or the triangles or diamonds. never round. not that it likely means anything though. who knows.

Number45

Has anyone put together a list of all of the recipes in the game? Getting tired of checking every multi-tool kiosk and damaged ship machinery just in case. I'm pretty sure I have all of the blueprints (perhaps not all of the formulae) but it would be nice to be able to check!

At least my suit is at 48 slots and I have a decent 24 slot multi-tool now. Ships I have shitty luck with - I've not found a single crashed ship that increases my number of slots and I also have the problem that my current ship has warp theta so it'll be a bit of effort to replace it and still be able to jump as far as I can.

Wandering around the lovely planet Raist, when I stumble onto this...

Is this what Sean meant by surprises?
Maybe this is the secret to finding a working portal.

magawolaz

Thought this was my coolest shot in a while.

Currently chugging along, hoping to find some chrysonite somewhere. It was abundant on my first planet, almost 40 hours ago. Barely seen a lick since.
Pretty! I cleaned it up a bit for you:

Do I have to actually be outside with the weather on an extreme planet to get the trophy or can I just build a cave and go AFK ?
You can stay in a cave or even in a shelter, just not in your ship.
Remember to recharge the life support system from time to time and you're good.

If I see a ship that I like in a space station is that particular model absolutely guaranteed to be a crashed ship somewhere in the system or is there only a chance of it appearing? I spent way longer than I care to admit searching my previous system for one of two ship models that I saw and loved in the space station but never actually found them crashed anywhere. I actually only saw three or four different ships in all of the crash sites that I investigated, with one particular model showing up 75% of the time at a rough guess. I ended up leaving the system in frustration.

Baalzebup

It's because it's
Land
Air
Sea
Underground

And the "underground" ones spawn both inside and around the entrances to caves, so it's easy to see them as land creatures. :)

I admit I haven't played this since Nioh Beta arrived, but the last I checked on this I made this post:
Based on this post, I did a 100% on two more planets with various fauna and checked all the ones that I've cleared before, and refined this a bit further. The list appears to always adhere to this order of creatures, with the caveat that if that type of creature is not on planet, its place is naturally taken by the next group of critters:
  1. Normal, land based carnivores or scavengers
  2. Normal, land based grazers etc
  3. Birds and other winged flyers
  4. Cave-dwellers (may appear on surface, but only near caves)
  5. Flying fish types ?
  6. Water based life-forms

The only really weird part on this set are the flying eel-looking critters, which inhabit the space between subterranean and aquatic creatures for some reason. I expected them to be with the birds, but that was not the case. Also of note is that creatures that just float on about 0.5- 1.0m above the surface are still considered land-based on this listing.

If anyone has noticed something that goes against this, please drop a word. There definitely is a pattern to establish, even if this is somehow inaccurate.

I wonder why we have the water and subterranean lifeforms in different spots. Every planet I've visited has adhered to the order I listed.

Apparently I've been funneled into an Atlas path where every system has already been explored. Have to admit I'm not real happy about that. 18 quintillion planets and Hello crams us all together? Worst part is having to read all the dumb names people come up with and having to just skip to the next system because there's nothing for me to discover.

I did spend a bit of time on one planet that two others had been to, trying to get the 100% payout for the last few creatures. Got it down to one but gave up after a while. So if you ever see the "Nah fam" system (ugh), find that last creature and you'll get an easy 350,000.

Anarki

Rather than trudging through 126 pages in this thread I'd thought I'd ask a few questions in this one post in the hope someone can kindly answer them.

I'm playing on PC and have put in around 12 hours so far, really enjoying it.

I've warped 3 times in total, I've been following the predifened line in the galatic map (I think thats the Atlas path) but I have the option to explore freely or a 3rd option which I can't remember off the top of my head. Should I carry on following the Atlas path?

I haven't come across a single crashed ship yet, I've been using the signal scanners and selecting Transmissions but it always seems to get me to Shelters which house Aliens that give me stuff if I help them out correctly. What am I doing wrong?

I haven't met any Gek aliens yet, is that because I'm following the Atlas path?

If I do continue along the path will I eventually get an Atlaspass V1, V2 or V3?

Is there anyway of avoiding battes in the galaxy? I'm more of a roam around at my own pace without wanting to be hassled. A few times now I'll get a bunch of NPC's shooting at me, I can't be bothered fighting but once they've locked onto me I'm unable to engage my pulse engine so I feel like a sitting duck with my starter ship.

Thanks.

Top Bottom