• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Z3M0G

Not a single tweet from Sean Murray since August 18th?

That's some silence

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/09/development-update/

Hello,
Over the last few weeks since No Man’s Sky released we’ve been inundated with feedback and discussion about No Man’s Sky.

No matter what feedback you gave us, you have been heard and we are listening carefully. Thank you.

Here’s what we’ve been busy with over the 2-3 weeks since release:
• A community/support management team has been brought on board.
• Support issues raised are been categorised by that team, and we are fixing them in order of priority.
• We’ve released 4 patches for PC and 4 patches for PS4.
• We’ve written up patch notes for all those patches. You can find them here.

What matters now, as always, is what we do rather than what we say. We’re developers, and our focus is first on resolving any issues people have with the game as it is, then on future free updates which will improve, expand and build on the No Man’s Sky universe.

This is a labour of love for us, and it’s just the beginning.

If you have suggestions please mail feedback@hellogames.co.uk

Thank you,
Hello Games

sandkiller

I've got 3 trophies left before platinum, 3 more planets to scan all species and two warping trophies which will come with getting to the centre.

Jumped to my first theta locked star, every planet so far is an icy forest.

From my experience usually the M star systems have cold planets thar should have chrisonite, you need the hyperdrive upgrade for that.
Or you might get lucky with an F star system.

Hahs

Not a single tweet from Sean Murray since August 18th?

That's some silence
That's typically what I'd do after pissing off a bunch of people - avoid confrontation - avoid head biting - shut up and fix the problem...not a word, just actions

While on the Mining Beam & Grenades discussion has anyone else noticed that shooting the doors with the mining beam will annoy Sentinels at Colonial Outposts but blowing the doors off with a grenade doesn't trigger them at all? If they're not hostile already anyway.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh snap it's gribbs. You digging it?

Yes, second galaxy, fully upgraded, platinumed and still loving it. I have my 'problems' with the game but wouldn't want to express them here. All I will say is I think it needs more variety across the board and a few planets that mix biomes wouldn't hurt either. Now all I'm waiting for is to find out how to get to the damn centre! I'm convinced we need an Omega hyperdrive. I loved the way the first galaxy ended by the way. Very Zennish. I was in a galaxy called 'The galaxy is made of Chocolate' on a planet called 'Carter'.

I'm on a planet called Skyrim at the moment. Look, originality wasn't top priority! I can't seem to get a good picture of it though. I think the lighting is never quite right on this planet, apart from night time.

jG7Ztbz.jpg

JWpxUvn.jpg

k4qUFad.jpg

First thing I noticed (don't know if it was there before) was a notification in the lower-right that said:

Low Atmosphere Planet
Plentiful Resources Likely
Elevated Strain on Life Support Systems

Again, no idea if that notification was common pre 1.08, but this is the first I'm seeing of it.

somme

First thing I noticed (don't know if it was there before) was a notification in the lower-right that said:

Low Atmosphere Planet

Again, no idea if that notification was common pre 1.08, but this is the first I'm seeing of it.

That stuff isn't new. :)

Haven't found a good looking planet for a while now, though I really need to upgrade my engine. Still on a 24 slot ship, 35 hours in...

I just upgraded to only my 3rd ship last night-- up a whopping 1 slot (22 -> 23) simply because it was free and looks like a white Viper (from BSG). Think I'm keeping this for a while.

That stuff isn't new. :)

hah well there ya go. After the constant notifications telling me I had unredeemed bonus content, I trained myself to not look at that corner for a good long while. So everything is new to me lol

Z3M0G

I just found a cave full of vortex cubes... should I just sell these??

Edit: same for gravitino balls? I see they are "trade comoditied"

theWB27

Yes, second galaxy, fully upgraded, platinumed and still loving it. I have my 'problems' with the game but wouldn't want to express them here. All I will say is I think it needs more variety across the board and a few planets that mix biomes wouldn't hurt either. Now all I'm waiting for is to find out how to get to the damn centre! I'm convinced we need an Omega hyperdrive. I loved the way the first galaxy ended by the way. Very Zennish. I was in a galaxy called 'The galaxy is made of Chocolate' on a planet called 'Carter'.

I'm on a planet called Skyrim at the moment. Look, originality wasn't top priority! I can't seem to get a good picture of it though. I think the lighting is never quite right on this planet, apart from night time.

I'm still 162k light years away from the center of my first one. Honestly I'm only playing in bursts at this point. Variety is much needed.

Slay

I've entered a black hole system, with 5 planets. They were all very different from what i saw before, somehow i saw greater geological details and wilder creatures. It had 3 extreme planets (toxic/heat/sentinels) a dead one, and a cold one that i haven't explored yet.

I took the chance to learn more Vy'Keen words and lore, while i was getting my platinum for the extreme conditions. I spend many hours on those worlds, the funny thing is that i got there in order to use the hole, but instead i picked up a planet and set course.

On a side note i now have 2 stacks for gravitino balls (not full yet) and one of the following, resonator,vortex cubes, neutrino module, dimension matrix. So the potential to grow super rich if i want it is there. The funny thing is that now that my inventory is full, the last planet i've landed is filled with venom sacs as far as the eye can see.

P.S. Still on the Edge of Hilbert Dimension

Raist

Banned

They're used for some higher tier upgrades. But they're not exactly super hard to find either.

My latest theory is that the game becomes much more unstable when the online servers are down. Today I haven't been connected to the discovery servers at all, and I've been getting tons of crashes (including a hard lock requiring a reboot just now) if I spend a significant amount of time on a planet (where "significant" means enough time to enter atmo and land somewhere).

It's like every week or so, I can just expect the game to shit the bed. I'm very tired of it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've entered a black hole system, with 5 planets. They were all very different from what i saw before, somehow i saw greater geological details and wilder creatures. It had 3 extreme planets (toxic/heat/sentinels) a dead one, and a cold one that i haven't explored yet.

I took the chance to learn more Vy'Keen words and lore, while i was getting my platinum for the extreme conditions. I spend many hours on those worlds, the funny thing is that i got there in order to use the hole, but instead i picked up a planet and set course.

On a side note i now have 2 stacks for gravitino balls (not full yet) and one of the following, resonator,vortex cubes, neutrino module, dimension matrix. So the potential to grow super rich if i want it is there. The funny thing is that now that my inventory is full, the last planet i've landed is filled with venom sacs as far as the eye can see.

P.S. Still on the Edge of Hilbert Dimension

Yeah, people seem to think Black holes are just for warping further but the solar systems they're in are often unique and interesting.

Raist

Banned
Just looked it up, the game crashed 17 times total for me. A handful were "random", and the vast majority were during a HD warp.

I've warped 648 times, so... yeah. This is definitely user-specific. Still convinced it has something to do with the HDD. That's the biggest variable by far.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

I've come across multiple planets with vortex cubes (and gravitino balls). Sell until you have a recipe that needs 'em. You're bound to find more planets where you can stock up on them.

Low Atmosphere Planet

I've seen it before, yeah.

Might have been a glitch, but I was flying around and saw/heard an explosion on a planet. Looked like the same graphic of a ship blowing up.

I circled around and tried to find an impact zone, but didn't see anything.

Would be neat if it was a ship crashing that I could've found.

Can't believe I just now realized if I find a trading post with stuff I need e.g. Dynamic Resonator, Omegon, etc.. I can buy it all up, save, exit out then restart the game and the stock will refresh. This saves me a lot of time now.

I just need a bit more gold and I can build that Warp drive theta and finally get to explore some of the further stars.

Might have been a glitch, but I was flying around and saw/heard an explosion on a planet. Looked like the same graphic of a ship blowing up.

I circled around and tried to find an impact zone, but didn't see anything.

Would be neat if it was a ship crashing that I could've found.

Probably a meteor impact. I remember a few people mentioning seeing them before and I just saw my first one about an hour ago. I saw it streak down and explode in the distance. I didn't find an impact crater or anything though. It'd be cool those events did cause some sort of deformation.

diaspora

I like how I was taking heat damage when it was only 40-45C out on this planet during the day. TIL Toronto summers are hot enough to cause damage in NMS.

edit: I wonder if modders can figure out portals.

I like how I was taking heat damage when it was only 40-45C out on this planet during the day. TIL Toronto summers are hot enough to cause damage in NMS.

If it gets above 26.5 C here in San Francisco, people start shedding their clothes as if they had caught fire. Maybe your NMS explorer is just a soft West Coaster?

Raist

Banned
Can confirm portals are now active, but only in select systems. I've found several so far and have named them 'ACTIVE PORTAL'.

I'm lying, but I do name systems 'ACTIVE PORTAL'

I occasionally rename one with some cryptic shit, like random morse, or the LOST numbers. Just in case someone bumps into it and makes a 3 pages long post on reddit explaining his theory.

mokeyjoe

edit: I wonder if modders can figure out portals.

To be fair being exposed for long periods of time in 45 degree heat would slowly take its toll - dehydration etc. Especially in a space suit. You'd at least want a drink of water.

Hung Wei Lo

so...is there any "science" to finding all lifeforms on a planet? like is the list in a particular order or something?

I've been walking, swimming(ugh) for a few hours now looking for the last lifeform, but have come up with nothing. I'm thinking it's a flying creature as from experience there may be two types of those (and 3 types that are water spawns)

..oh, and for the love of god,I don't care that my jetpack is depleted, or that there's a space anomaly, or to hold r2 to take off. please get rid of those tips..it's bad enough there's no photo mode in the ps4 edition and we have to deal with the landmarks on the screenshots..

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
so...is there any "science" to finding all lifeforms on a planet? like is the list in a particular order or something?

I've been walking, swimming(ugh) for a few hours now looking for the last lifeform, but have come up with nothing. I'm thinking it's a flying creature as from experience there may be two types of those (and 3 types that are water spawns)

..oh, and for the love of god,I don't care that my jetpack is depleted, or that there's a space anomaly, or to hold r2 to take off. please get rid of those tips..it's bad enough there's no photo mode in the ps4 edition and we have to deal with the landmarks on the screenshots..

Generally speaking: first on the list, birds, middle, deer/buffalo with a variety of heads, last, fish.

Slay

Yeah, people seem to think Black holes are just for warping further but the solar systems they're in are often unique and interesting.

The last planet is the richest i've ever encountered. I named him Hirk's Treasury, you stumble upon venom sacs on the surface, yes it has THAT much, but i didn't take not even one, because i had stacked vortex cubes, and the caves are filled with the things. On top of that the caves have tons of plutonium, and crystal gold.

On the surface of course there is Chrysonite crystal, and plenty of platinum and zinc flowers, there is gold in piles, and i found nickel deposits too (the flat ones with much depth under the surface).

I plan to stay for a while because, i can make 2.4M per trip.

P.S. I also "bought" a new 48-slot ship from the junkyard, now i'ts fully equipped , with optimal configuration, and the cargo hold is full of resources.

I was on a snowy moon last night and my cold hazard protection was kicking in at a 12ºC "storm". The game seems to have no normal operating range for the player's suit and what is cold/hot seems to be defined by the temperature range of a particular planet.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The last planet is the richest i've ever encountered. I named him Hirk's Treasury, you stumble upon venom sacs on the surface, yes it has THAT much, but i didn't take not even one, because i had stacked vortex cubes, and the caves are filled with the things. On top of that the caves have tons of plutonium, and crystal gold.

On the surface of course there is Chrysonite crystal, and plenty of platinum and zinc flowers, there is gold in piles, and i found nickel deposits too (the flat ones with much depth under the surface).

I plan to stay for a while because, i can make 2.4M per trip.

P.S. I also "bought" a new 48-slot ship from the junkyard, now i'ts fully equipped , with optimal configuration, and the cargo hold is full of resources.

I'm in search of 'my' final ship and I'm now looking for planets to get some great shots. I've got to be honest and say those are my only objectives now and I feel as if I've experienced and discovered everything this game has to offer, regardless of the slight aesthetic changes here are there. I'm in desperate need of new content: New flowers, new trees, new rock formations, new building, new room layouts, new biomes, deserts, marshes, meadows etc. I no longer land on planets but simply window shop before blasting off to another solar system. I really hope Hello Games tie the base building into game's mechanics and add new experiences because of it.

A few tips. Mind you I've still only cleared eight planets so far.

A other people have pointed out, there seems to be a pattern on how the list is ordered when you hit the "Options" button. Looks like it's Predators, Grazers, Fliers, (not sure of the order of the last two, either Cave Dwellers then Aquatic or the other way around).

The Scanner is your best friend. Holding L2 will give you a pulsing white dot (for distant out, of range creatures) which can be used as an impromptu radar. Obviously red dot shows you what still needs to be scanned.

Also, some creatures only appear at night.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong

I've followed the atlas path, collected 10 atlas stones and birthed a new star. Now my options are from the space map, is either free exploration or route to the galactic core. I assume i'm supposed to head to the galactic core, but there are still so many spots on the path. I thought that after I birthed a new star the game would be "over."

I hate when I scan while in space to see where the planets are and get landmarks plastered on my screen until I leave the system. Let me remove them please.

Zomba13

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong

I've followed the atlas path, collected 10 atlas stones and birthed a new star. Now my options are from the space map, is either free exploration or route to the galactic core. I assume i'm supposed to head to the galactic core, but there are still so many spots on the path. I thought that after I birthed a new star the game would be "over."

You aren't doing anything wrong.

Top Bottom