• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Fliesen

had a super busy week, so i just got back to NMS.

Seems, contrary to the 1.07 patch notes saying
Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
i still need to do the "stay on one planet continuously for almost 9 hours without ever taking off in your ship", i guess.

because the counter's not going up - currently at 6.3 Sols

So i suppose this is working as intended? :(

Loudninja

i still need to do the "stay on one planet continuously for almost 9 hours without ever taking off in your ship", i guess.

Hmm its working for me I even bounce around 3 planets.

Fliesen

Hmm its working for me I even bounce around 3 planets.

hmmm, maybe they did some sort of "discard that old number entirely and build up a new cumulative number".

Since my original "on one planet" number was around 2 hours, i guess i'll be giving it an hour or so to maybe catch up :/

TheBear

I delayed my purchase of this until I returned from an overseas trip.

Is there a clear difference in performance between PC and PS4? I know there was some PC issues when it launched, has that all been sorted?

What about framerate? would a 780/i5 achieve a solid 60fps?

Cheers!

hmmm, maybe they did some sort of "discard that old number entirely and build up a new cumulative number".

Since my original "on one planet" number was around 2 hours, i guess i'll be giving it an hour or so to maybe catch up :/

Yes, I tested it and you have reach the time you gathered before the patch before you will see the fix in effect.
Could be though that you don't have to spend that time on the same planet and it's just the number in the menu not going up. Didn't want to try that :p

McLovin

I have a theory that nobody has actually beaten no mans sky.
Like they hint that it's all a simulation within the game right? What if the real point of the game is to escape the simulation. I mean we never actually reach the center, it zooms out before you even get there. Also I think that your playing as a robot built by the atlas that has free will. And that the one that's paying you for uploads is the atlas itself. It would explain why you respawn but lose unuploaded discoveries.

somme

It has probably reset to 0. As soon as you get above 6.3 Sols you'll see it increase, no matter how many extreme planets you jump to.

daxy

I delayed my purchase of this until I returned from an overseas trip.

Is there a clear difference in performance between PC and PS4? I know there was some PC issues when it launched, has that all been sorted?

What about framerate? would a 780/i5 achieve a solid 60fps?

Cheers!

I've been having a good experience on a 970/4690k. Water still eats the frame rate. Stability is good, only crashed twice over 35 hrs of play. Would recommend you post/check the NMS PC performance thread to see what others with a comparable setup are getting. I think you should be fine if you fiddle around with the settings. In any case, you'll most likely get a better frame rate and image quality than on PS4, and you'll be able to add mods to the game which have improved certain parts of the game dramatically, such as the Big Things and Low Flight mods.

mokeyjoe

Like they hint that it's all a simulation within the game right? What if the real point of the game is to escape the simulation. I mean we never actually reach the center, it zooms out before you even get there. Also I think that your playing as a robot built by the atlas that has free will. And that the one that's paying you for uploads is the atlas itself. It would explain why you respawn but lose unuploaded discoveries.

There's a very
Matrix-like plot underpinning NMS. As in you are some sort of 'anomaly' who has to return to the core to keep things ticking over. The text you get during the Atlas path, some things Nada says, and in particular the Abandoned Building text, all suggests that doing the bidding of the Atlas isn't the way to progress. There are also massive hints at time travel, again the person who left the logs in the Abandoned Buildings is you (future you, gone to the past), and data mining shows that using the portals activates 'TIMEWARP', whatever that means. There's also the rather more speculative suggestion that all the players are essentially the same traveller, or iterations of the same entity (like The One).

However, given the state of the game I would also suggest that currently these aspects of the plot are not accessible. For the time travelling to work you need the portals active, for the Abandoned Buildings to make sense you need to be able to build buildings. Both these things exist in the game code but are not completed and active yet.

Also, and this bit is only crazy speculation on my part,
the network features that are currently AWOL, I figure could be part of this mechanic. The 'kinda-sorta' multiplayer, likely follows an asynchronous Souls style, where players (being iterations of the same traveller) can leave messages for each other, (in bases, like the Abandoned Buildings) or perhaps even see 'ghosts' of other players. In typical vague Sean style, the idea of the game community working various things out together was mentioned in multiple contexts, as well as the 'multiplayer' not being true, traditional multiplayer. If these mechanics are essentially plot spoilers (and also, in terms of game mechanics, very limited and Easter eggy) then the vagueness may be a little more understandable.

I don't think any of this is somehow hidden away in the current build of the game, but rather hints at some of the ideas that were thought of during development, that may be introduced, or reintroduced as development of the game continues and as future updates are rolled out.

Seiniyta

It seems like the rank you're on remains 'bugged' until you get the milestone. The milestones afterwards aren't bugged anymore however.

legacyzero

Banned

There's a very
Matrix-like plot underpinning NMS. As in you are some sort of 'anomaly' who has to return to the core to keep things ticking over. The text you get during the Atlas path, some things Nada says, and in particular the Abandoned Building text, all suggests that doing the bidding of the Atlas isn't the way to progress. There are also massive hints at time travel, again the person who left the logs in the Abandoned Buildings is you (future you, gone to the past), and data mining shows that using the portals activates 'TIMEWARP', whatever that means. There's also the rather more speculative suggestion that all the players are essentially the same traveller, or iterations of the same entity (like The One).

However, given the state of the game I would also suggest that currently these aspects of the plot are not accessible. For the time travelling to work you need the portals active, for the Abandoned Buildings to make sense you need to be able to build buildings. Both these things exist in the game code but are not completed and active yet.

Also, and this bit is only crazy speculation on my part,
the network features that are currently AWOL, I figure could be part of this mechanic. The 'kinda-sorta' multiplayer, likely follows an asynchronous Souls style, where players (being iterations of the same traveller) can leave messages for each other, (in bases, like the Abandoned Buildings) or perhaps even see 'ghosts' of other players. In typical vague Sean style, the idea of the game community working various things out together was mentioned in multiple contexts, as well as the 'multiplayer' not being true, traditional multiplayer. If these mechanics are essentially plot spoilers (and also, in terms of game mechanics, very limited and Easter eggy) then the vagueness may be a little more understandable.

I don't think any of this is somehow hidden away in the current build of the game, but rather hints at some of the ideas that were thought of during development, that may be introduced, or reintroduced as development of the game continues and as future updates are rolled out.
Interestingly, I keep getting called this

untitledu5scf.png

mokeyjoe

Interestingly, I keep getting called this

untitledu5scf.png

Well that's what the Vykeen call you. To Gek you are a 'friend'. I'm not really sure if there are plot implications to this. Perhaps given the races' histories respectively fighting or collaborating with the sentinels, you being a 'Traveller of the Atlas ' might affect the way they consider you. Either that or it's just the way they view strangers in general encroaching on their space.

mqdf2.gif

This is how it feels to play No Man's Sky... If only the flag had Hello Games logo instead.

lmao pretty much.

I've gotten to the point I don't even land anymore. I just keep jumping until I need more warp cells then I just buy what resources I need at a space station. The only time I land on a planet is if I'm really hurting for money.

Raist

Banned
Also I think that your playing as a robot built by the atlas that has free will. And that the one that's paying you for uploads is the atlas itself. It would explain why you respawn but lose unuploaded discoveries.

It's pretty obvious, considering they flat out tell you that you're in a sim. Also, note the text when you respawn (Generation 2, 3 etc) and the "Returning user" from the abandoned buildings' control panels. You're not an explorer crashing on a planet in an unknown galaxy, you're a bit of code spawning in the program.

And it's, like, super meta (mentioned this in a previous post), because you (the character) upload data to the Atlas so that it can know itself. Just like you (the player) upload data to HG's servers.

I don't think anyone's suggesting there's anything else in the base game.
I was talking about the "nobody has actually beaten NMS yet"

Which would suggest to me that there is more to "beating the game" than reaching the center and doing the atlas path. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Well yes nobody has beaten it as there is no end. It's all relative
To me, saying nobody has beaten this game is like saying you have not beat Bloodborne after Gehrmin because there is a NG+.

Anyway. Not trying to rain on anyones parade. I hope they add some content that extends the lore because the stuff thats there is fascinating and they can go places with it.

Raist

Banned
I mean, there may be an easter egg kind of ending thing. Maybe not. Who knows.

If people want to believe, as long as they're aware of, and able to accept that, there is likely nothing else, I don't see the problem if that's part of their fun.

I mean, there may be an easter egg kind of ending thing. Maybe not. Who knows.

If people want to believe, as long as they're aware of, and able to accept that, there is likely nothing else, I don't see the problem if that's part of their fun.
I agree with you there. I wasnt trying to be a negative nancy. I guess after spending hours upon hours towards trying to figure out how to activate a portal I just accepted that its just not possible at this point. The peeps over at DM21 gaming have some interesting theories goin on. I think its cool to speculate about the games mysteries that need to be figured out. I guess I just wasnt ready to have seen all the game has to offer already. I swear that big monolith ball has a purpose. It just hasnt been integrated into the game yet.

I would think that after all the kerfuffle about the games ending has been going on so much that at least someone at HG would have pipped up about hinting at something that players had not figured out yet or something.

I just want more and I feel like my time is being wasted trying to figure things out that isnt even possible at this point.

Landford

Banned
Something that strikes me odd is the whole "Gold Master" and Day One Patch thing. Im starting to believe that the game was nowhere near ready for launch, and some things had to be disabled and some of them are just lying there inactive because they were buggy and didnt work. Since I couldnt get a refund, what I can do now is hope that Hello keep their promise (I dont think they wont) and add at least some of the things we saw working on trailers.

Raist

Banned
Something that strikes me odd is the whole "Gold Master" and Day One Patch thing. Im starting to believe that the game was nowhere near ready for launch, and some things had to be disabled and some of them are just lying there inactive because they were buggy and didnt work. Since I couldnt get a refund, what I can do now is hope that Hello keep their promise (I dont think they wont) and add at least some of the things we saw working on trailers.

Where have you been the past, like, 5 years? :p

I agree with you there. I wasnt trying to be a negative nancy. I guess after spending hours upon hours towards trying to figure out how to activate a portal I just accepted that its just not possible at this point. The peeps over at DM21 gaming have some interesting theories goin on. I think its cool to speculate about the games mysteries that need to be figured out. I guess I just wasnt ready to have seen all the game has to offer already. I swear that big monolith ball has a purpose. It just hasnt been integrated into the game yet.

I was looking at the screenshots on the official NMS site last night I thought it was curious that they list this portal as a Monolith.

I also went back and watched the Portals trailer from 2014. It's interesting to see how things have changed and haven't from back then. One thing I never noticed before on the portals is, the actual entrance is not the tall monolith, but a shorter one in front of it. I don't know if these shorter entrances still exist...I don't remember seeing that when I found a portal.

Hm, also notice that when they lift off, it says "Beacon". When they warp to the next system, there's a blue dot which leads them straight to the portal. I do wonder if the transmission towers were originally supposed to point to other planets/systems, as some of the text still references finding a signal on another world.

I had my first crash last night since 1.04. I noticed something was strange when I was walking up a mountain and kept getting pushed off of it by some invisible force. Some time later I lifted off from an outpost and it just froze. I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that I accidentally left the game running the night before for a few hours. Maybe there's a memory leak in there.

magawolaz

I was looking at the screenshots on the official NMS site last night I thought it was curious that they list this portal as a Monolith.
Interesting, today I came across a plaque talking about a Great Monolith, and how it didn't respond to the calls of some Vy'keen guy.
Maybe he was talking about a portal?

With a game whose mechanics are incredibly simple and design fairly straight-forward, I love how maddening things are that don't act as I expect them to; the gold and silver balls, the portals. It'll be nice if it turns out that there's just something we're all missing, and that they had a function right from launch, not something that was put there to tease us until a feature is added in, but we'll see.

I spent more time than I'd care to admit trying to divine some sense of meaning from the scrawlings on the raised "pedestal" (for lack of a better term) portion of the portals. They are the points furthest from the portal itself and had markings that I thought correlated to the position of the other planets as occluded by the portal itself, etc... blah blah blah I spent forever banging my head up against that. Don't regret it one bit. I love that kind of mystery.

mokeyjoe

I was talking about the "nobody has actually beaten NMS yet"

Which would suggest to me that there is more to "beating the game" than reaching the center and doing the atlas path. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Ok, well maybe there are some players holding our for something in the current build. Personally I don't think either the Atlas path or the centre is really an end though. Partly because I don't think the game has a traditional end, and partly because the game at the moment feels incomplete. On the other hand I think their intention is to complete it and therefore I think lore speculation (as well as data mining) is one way to anticipate future updates as I think the game mechanics talked about, but missing, probably fit into the larger mythos in some way rather than being tacked on extras. So I don't think anyone's reached the end, because there isn't one, it's just the Atlas 'loop' - there is a lot of stuff in the text and in the code suggesting more was intended/is planned. And I think it's interesting to try and work out what that is from the 'clues' that are there.

I certainly think, for instance, that observatories are intended to pick up things further away, such as portals. I also think the abandoned buildings may consist, in the future, of other players' abandoned bases.

Interesting, today I came across a plaque talking about a Great Monolith, and how it didn't respond to the calls of some Vy'keen guy.
Maybe he was talking about a portal?

That seems like a good guess. I wonder what was the 'call' was supposed to be.

With a game whose mechanics are incredibly simple and design fairly straight-forward, I love how maddening things are that don't act as I expect them to; the gold and silver balls, the portals. It'll be nice if it turns out that there's just something we're all missing, and that they had a function right from launch, not something that was put there to tease us until a feature is added in, but we'll see.

I spent more time than I'd care to admit trying to divine some sense of meaning from the scrawlings on the raised "pedestal" (for lack of a better term) portion of the portals. They are the points furthest from the portal itself and had markings that I thought correlated to the position of the other planets as occluded by the portal itself, etc... blah blah blah I spent forever banging my head up against that. Don't regret it one bit. I love that kind of mystery.

Yeah, it's strange that the portal shot is still up on their site, as an official marketing representation of the game. You'd think their lawyer would've told them to take that down posthaste, if the portals in fact don't work anymore.

I looked at the engravings, thinking math lover Sean Murray must've encoded secrets in them. But they just seem like pseudo-scientific scribbles.

But after I finish the Atlas path I think I'm going to settle at the next portal I find and study it like some crazed scientist. The local aliens will start rolling their eyes at me every time I come in to sell supplies.

Meliora

One of the texts at those abandoned buildings says something about the Sentinels being connected to the Monoliths. Or the text asks if they could be connected. By monoliths, maybe they are refering to the portals? The same text also asks if there was an old race that lived long before the current ones or something like that.

diaspora

Christ on a stick, the size and variability mods are really putting in work. The planets I'm landing on now are venturing into weird extremes.

Took me a long time to realize this but storms can be very different on different planets. On some the wind barely picks up while on others it's like standing in a hurricane (also rain volume and environment hazard increase can vary).

Christ on a stick, the size and variability mods are really putting in work. The planets I'm landing on now are venturing into weird extremes.

Don't such mods go against the philosophy of the game though? Exploring places that look exactly like to that to other players? As in, the same universe for everyone.

diaspora

Don't such mods go against the philosophy of the game though? Exploring places that look exactly like to that to other players? As in, the same universe for everyone.
I could do that, or I could have fun with a mouse interesting universe to explore. :p

I've been playing this disconnected from the server's half the time anyway.

Ok folks, I uploaded my thirteenth transmission video and I'm pretty sure I walked in on two dinos fucking.

I've seen ships being taken advantage of in the past but this was two animals caught in the act... I assume anyway.

https://youtu.be/1eFVX69Yh-w

Found at 4:50 through to the end if you don't want to watch the whole thing. I tried interacting and hilarity ensues. If someone could gif it, I'd be grateful.

One of my favorite planets for sure though. I loved the Diablos (FFVIII) esque predators that were hunting me. And Stitch makes an appearance too.

And I think this planet housed some of the tallest species I've seen.

vix

As I'm working my way towards a max slot ship and multitool, I can't help but wish for a larger inventory. I'm becoming a broken record about it. But when you swap ships and have to repair, you can only carry so many resources. Same with the weapon. If I find a new one I like but it doesn't have all the features, I have to add them in myself, there goes more resources. I know having a stupidly huge inventory could take the fun away...but at times, this isn't too much fun either.

Anyways, the point is is that I hope this freighter update means I can have a huge storage locker of goodies with all items stackable. It would make getting a max ship easier and then getting a max ship you actually like the look of easier as well. :)

Ritzboof

i had to dig through my history and find to convince someone that the game isnt everything wed been shown. its a recreation of the original reddit post made by /u/MeetWayneKerr that outlined everything we were shown and told about in the past couple years that simply isnt present in the game we have today. its been removed from reddit for a while now and the authors account deleted, so its hard to find through reddit with a simple google search, but here it is

http://www.onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/

this particular topic is still kinda shitty and im sure a lot of you peeps are sick of hearing about it. a lot of you peeps seem to still be into it, and thats cool, but its important to know how badly we got japed, and this is a good resource for that that needs to stay afloat (and yknow, just in case someone hasnt seen it yet)

honestly, looking at this really makes me question how they can develop base building or freighter piloting on any notable level, or if were even going to get that stuff ever with how much the game is tanking

Raist

Banned
i had to dig through my history and find to convince someone that the game isnt everything wed been shown. its a recreation of the original reddit post made by /u/MeetWayneKerr that outlined everything we were shown and told about in the past couple years that simply isnt present in the game we have today. its been removed from reddit for a while now and the authors account deleted, so its hard to find through reddit with a simple google search, but here it is

http://www.onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/

this particular topic is still kinda shitty and im sure a lot of you peeps are sick of hearing about it. a lot of you peeps seem to still be into it, and thats cool, but its important to know how badly we got japed, and this is a good resource for that that needs to stay afloat (and yknow, just in case someone hasnt seen it yet)

honestly, looking at this really makes me question how they can develop base building or freighter piloting on any notable level, or if were even going to get that stuff ever with how much the game is tanking

Half that list is BS.

But if you think it's important, you should make a new thread.

Oh.

One of the texts at those abandoned buildings says something about the Sentinels being connected to the Monoliths. Or the text asks if they could be connected. By monoliths, maybe they are refering to the portals? The same text also asks if there was an old race that lived long before the current ones or something like that.

That definitely could be. Given the architectural similarity it's likely that the regular monolith ruins are connected to the portals regardless. The Sentinels (Sean said) were supposed to have been left by an ancient race, so I assume they left all these ruins behind.

I am guessing we get the patch next week since its a holiday weekend.

Is it a holiday weekend in Britain as well?

There's plenty of other NMS "Sean lied" threads for you to post your outrage in; this thread is for discussion of the game itself.

Also, I assume you mean "gyped" and not "japed", as I've never heard any racist stereotypes about the Japanese swindling people, so you probably just meant to use a racial epithet about the Romani/gypsy people, right?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Also, I assume you mean "gyped" and not "japed", as I've never heard any racist stereotypes about the Japanese swindling people, so you probably just meant to use a racial epithet about the Romani/gypsy people, right?

in his defense "jape" is an actual word, I had to look it up. and it is based off a French word

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/japed

real life knowledge stone. essentially it just means "fooled". it is an odd word to use though.

the racist version is with 2 ps usually, but means something different.

Top Bottom