• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

magawolaz

How To Find Portals

So yeah, either very dumb luck, or this is being consistently reproduced.
I didn't believe you but I actually found a portal after only one monolith Lol.
tnkxMfxl.jpg

I agree, it's either pure luck or you're onto something. It's strange because following the monoliths seems such an obvious thing... I'm surprised no one tried it before.

I tried twice the reddit method of following the flagpoles but they didn't lead me anywhere. The other two portals I've found so far were completely by chance.

Still, I wanna see them active :(

If I see a ship that I like in a space station is that particular model absolutely guaranteed to be a crashed ship somewhere in the system or is there only a chance of it appearing? I spent way longer than I care to admit searching my previous system for one of two ship models that I saw and loved in the space station but never actually found them crashed anywhere. I actually only saw three or four different ships in all of the crash sites that I investigated, with one particular model showing up 75% of the time at a rough guess. I ended up leaving the system in frustration.

It's RNG based in the sense that every star system has a pool of ships, and crashed ship locations draw randomly from that pool. I'm not sure the chances for each ship are equal though. At least it took forever in my game for my preferred ship to appear while going from crash site to crash site. Meanwhile there were certain ship types that appeared over and over.
So in short, it might take a while, but your ship should appear sooner or later.

How To Find Portals

I've been trying the "follow the flagpoles" method but only managed to find a portal once after a long time. It's not that farfetched that they're seeding portals and monoliths in some configurations and patterns, but it's hard to know without having a map of some kind for the terrain.

Btw, has anyone tried having 6 or 12 Atlas Stones in inventory while having unlocked all of the Atlas language words (with a cheat/hack, for example)? I just thought knowing the right words might light up the 6 pillars as you walk close to them, similar to how objects in the Atlas Stations environments react to your proximity. I spent a lot of time on one Gek planet visiting monoliths and gathered 12 Gek Charms, hoped they might work as an "offering", found a portal but of course nothing happened. Also dug a perimeter around the portal with grenades and found out you can't dig under a portal (and I'm guessing under any POI).

Baalzebup

Rather than trudging through 126 pages in this thread I'd thought I'd ask a few questions in this one post in the hope someone can kindly answer them.

I'm playing on PC and have put in around 12 hours so far, really enjoying it.

I've warped 3 times in total, I've been following the predifened line in the galatic map (I think thats the Atlas path) but I have the option to explore freely or a 3rd option which I can't remember off the top of my head. Should I carry on following the Atlas path?
The long path toward the core is just that. It should be a certain shade of orange in the Star Map. The Atlas Path is a separate thing which should guide you to systems that have the Atlas Interfaces, which are Space Station -size hotspots with their own navigation icons when In-system, so missing them is more or less impossible. The Atlas path is blue in the Star Map.
I haven't come across a single crashed ship yet, I've been using the signal scanners and selecting Transmissions but it always seems to get me to Shelters which house Aliens that give me stuff if I help them out correctly. What am I doing wrong?
You look for transmissions, and it can point you to 3 different places: Beacons, Observatories and Transmission Towers. You want to go to the latter ones. Any location that contains a Transmission Tower can include other buildings as well, but there should always be one there if the navigation says it is leading you to one. You can tell the buildings apart by what is on the roof. The Transmission Towers will always have a fuck-huge antenna-thing on top of them. The building may or may not contain an NPC, but what you need to look for is the round interface that gives you a lite math puzzle. Answer correctly, and you get the location of a crashed ship.

I haven't met any Gek aliens yet, is that because I'm following the Atlas path?
Every system has a randomly determined race. Any given system has a 1/3 chance of being a Gek system.

Is there anyway of avoiding battes in the galaxy? I'm more of a roam around at my own pace without wanting to be hassled. A few times now I'll get a bunch of NPC's shooting at me, I can't be bothered fighting but once they've locked onto me I'm unable to engage my pulse engine so I feel like a sitting duck with my starter ship.
You are attacked when/if you are scanned by the pirates and carry high-value elements like Gold, Emeril etc. Don't carry 'em and you don't get attacked. The pirates are after booty.

Atlas Interfaces, which are Space Station -size hotspots with their own navigation icons when In-system, so missing them is more or less impossible.

Btw, is this not the case for
space anomalies, i.e. the sphere hosting the two friendly aliens
? I've been to a system in which the marker for them only popped up after like playing an hour on a planet. Had I warped out before that I would have missed that it's even there (or can they appear after you enter a system?!).
It's a bit weird because in my experience the game warps you usually directly in front of a station/anomaly etc. when you first enter.
Wormholes
are not marked for me either but they are harder to miss as they are easy to see from far away.

Raist

Banned
How To Find Portals

Huh, I've never seen that type of monolith. And I've seen quite a few.

Anyway, like with the flagpole thing, this is most likely just dumb luck. If things like how many/how much time it requires is insanely variable, Occam's razor says you're just eventually randomly bumping into a portal.

Wandering around the lovely planet Raist, when I stumble onto this...
onZxYOJ.jpg

Is this what Sean meant by surprises?

Scale seems about right.

legacyzero

Banned
I've been trying the "follow the flagpoles" method but only managed to find a portal once after a long time. It's not that farfetched that they're seeding portals and monoliths in some configurations and patterns, but it's hard to know without having a map of some kind for the terrain.

Btw, has anyone tried having 6 or 12 Atlas Stones in inventory while having unlocked all of the Atlas language words (with a cheat/hack, for example)? I just thought knowing the right words might light up the 6 pillars as you walk close to them, similar to how objects in the Atlas Stations environments react to your proximity. I spent a lot of time on one Gek planet visiting monoliths and gathered 12 Gek Charms, hoped they might work as an "offering", found a portal but of course nothing happened. Also dug a perimeter around the portal with grenades and found out you can't dig under a portal (and I'm guessing under any POI).

Huh, I've never seen that type of monolith. And I've seen quite a few.

Anyway, like with the flagpole thing, this is most likely just dumb luck. If things like how many/how much time it requires is insanely variable, Occam's razor says you're just eventually randomly bumping into a portal.

Scale seems about right.

I've got more than 100 hours into this thing. I think I should have accidentally ran into more Portals with as much travelling as I've done. I've only ever seen two (This one I included in the video which is number 2) And the first one was on a small moon just like the second. So your post could be true based on the size of the planets I've seen them on. Smallest ones I've seen yet.

Also:

9a5d06b1-b186-44d9-a5c1-9f830119051c_MEDIA.jpg

Kilau

Okay guys, I feel like my game is messed up.

After warping a few times I found an anomaly on the galaxy map but I didn't go to it. Instead I warped back to my starting planet in a futile attempt to find my original crash site.

The anomaly then vanished from the map to never return. I've warped 7 more times since then on the atlas path and found nothing else that feels like progression. I still do not have a single atlas pass or stone.

Am I screwed?

legacyzero

Banned
Okay guys, I feel like my game is messed up.

After warping a few times I found an anomaly on the galaxy map but I didn't go to it. Instead I warped back to my starting planet in a futile attempt to find my original crash site.

The anomaly then vanished from the map to never return. I've warped 7 more times since then on the atlas path and found nothing else that feels like progression. I still do not have a single atlas pass or stone.

Am I screwed?
I have found that if you keep travelling, you'll either happen upon the Anomaly, or it'll happen upon you. It travels. I've been walking on a planet and then suddenly get a notification from my suit saying "Anomaly Detected". Then it'll just appear in my star system.

That's a very interesting ship he's flying

That's my (temporary) 48 :p

Kilau

I have found that if you keep travelling, you'll either happen upon the Anomaly, or it'll happen upon you. It travels. I've been walking on a planet and then suddenly get a notification from my suit saying "Anomaly Detected". Then it'll just appear in my star system.

Okay I will keep on keeping on and hope for another anomaly. No atlas pass is pretty annoying at this point.

magawolaz

I don't think they can be activated at all, otherwise the community would have figured them out by now.
Maybe Hello Games couldn't find a way to load the assets for another world so quickly as shown in one of the trailers, so they scrapped the idea of portals altogether.
Removing them from the game probably caused trouble to the code, or to the terrain algorithm, so they just left them there inactive.

KDR_11k

How do you repair ship hull damage? Paying an alien to help (20 carbon) only gives the options shields, health and fuel.

Hit up the abandoned building like Command Centers and you'll get blueprints for them. I got my v3 pass that way.

The wiki I've seen claimed that it's only Korvax op centers that can drop them, any truth to that?

gpn

So I had a "fun" experience last night. The newest planet I landed is radioactive with occasional storms. I found one of those really tall towers of gold that go deep in the ground and was mining it for awhile. When I jumped in the hole from where I had been mining to get more of the gold, I noticed the ground polygons on one side of the hole were missing or invisible, although some would show up if I ran the mining beam over them. I hadn't seen that before, but I shrugged it off and when I was done mining I jetpacked out of the hole and went off exploring.

After I was done exploring the area, I headed back to my ship and passed by the remains of the gold tower. Too close it seems, as when I got to the part with the messed up polygons I fell through the ground and ended up partially stuck in the surface. I could move around, but I couldn't get above a certain point. I ended up in the water and I could get above the surface a little bit, but I couldn't get out completely. As I moved around I was always seeing like the "edge" of the world.

I was stuck in the water and while I could sometimes get out enough so I didn't drown, I was getting constant radiation warnings. I was getting to the point where I was thinking it might be best to just let my character die, but in the weird state I was in, I didn't know if I'd be able to recover my goods, and, dammit, I had mined a lot of gold. I kept recharging my ant-radiation system and soldiered on when I finally came to a part where I saw a bunch of stalactites below me. The tops of the stalactites were flat so I was able to walk on top of them and get out of the friggin water.

I then thought I'd try shooting some plasma grenades. They hadn't helped when I was stuck in the water, but here I could see they were having some effect in the distance. I carefully walked along the top of the stalactites occasionally firing plasma grenades and finally I created some kind of hole and fell into the cavern I'd been walking on top of. Whew! What a relief. Now I was wondering where my ship was since I'd moved around quite a bit trying to get out of my predicament. It turned out I was right below my ship! A storm warning came through, so I waited it out, but after I started firing grenades at the ceiling. After about ten grenades I finally saw the sky and was able to jetpack out, and there was my ship!

Finally out of my predicament I chalk it up to encountering an anomaly on the planet and just another strange part of my journey, and a lesson to stay away from strange polygons.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
How do you repair ship hull damage? Paying an alien to help (20 carbon) only gives the options shields, health and fuel.

The wiki I've seen claimed that it's only Korvax op centers that can drop them, any truth to that?
I've only seen it work on Korvax operations centers. That's also how I got my V3.

Spyware

I admit I haven't played this since Nioh Beta arrived, but the last I checked on this I made this post:

I wonder why we have the water and subterranean lifeforms in different spots. Every planet I've visited has adhered to the order I listed.

Very strange, My order is 100 % true for me as of three save files on different patch versions. I'm on PC, are you on PS4? That might explain it? (...but why would they change it if so?)

N° 2048

Yea I am convinced Portals are cut content.

I really hope I'm proven wrong though...

I would laugh if they just start working after a random "bug fix" patch.

legacyzero

Banned
Yea I am convinced Portals are cut content.

I really hope I'm proven wrong though...

I would laugh if they just start working after a random "bug fix" patch.
LOL I was thinking this too

Question 1: Warping is usually the quickest for me

Question 2: nope

KDR_11k

How long is a SOL? I'm trying to get extreeeeme level 3 since Polo wants to see that but it feels like I've been sitting on this planet for ages and the counter hasn't moved a bit so I still haven't reached the 3.5 SOLs I had before.

Question 1: Warping is usually the quickest for me

Huh? Warping doesn't recover any hull integrity for me. I'm still at four ship icons (have been for several jumps) and I know this ship goes up to 6.

Raist

Banned

They don't systematically offer it. You'll need to trade it for an item in most cases too (like Vy'keen dagger).

How long is a SOL? I'm trying to get extreeeeme level 3 since Polo wants to see that but it feels like I've been sitting on this planet for ages and the counter hasn't moved a bit so I still haven't reached the 3.5 SOLs I had before.

It's variable. But should take hours. It's a full day/night cycle basically. You likely had to start from scratch after the patch, so it'll eventually start increasing again.

Finally discovered all the creatures on a single planet for the first time today. Spent three hours without leaving but now I know it's totally possible!

It's much, much easier since the latest patch i've found. I have 7 scanned fully and the last two were much easier than before as the scanning is faster and has a longer range it seems so flying creatures are no problem at all. On PC at least.

I like how you slowly back away.
Wuss.
I'll watch the video in a minute but reversing when the pirates warp in is the best strategy. Look for the little warp-rings that appear and start reversing then when they appear i just move my aim a little and let rip. It helps that i have Acc Fire, Damage and Coolant upgrades on my Phase Cannon :) Aim for the Triangular "Lead" Reticule and go to town *boom*...*boom**boom**boom**boom* ( because so far they've always attacked in groups of five ).

KDR_11k

It's variable. But should take hours. It's a full day/night cycle basically. You likely had to start from scratch after the patch, so it'll eventually start increasing again.

Wait, I thought it's just consecutive time spent, without seeing shelter in between... Well, exploring buildings would've been far more interesting than standing around, sniping sentinels...

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think something screwed up when I completed the Atlas path. Any ideas? Tried Google but to no avail, and I don't want to read the Spoiler thread.
After I opted to do the thing, I was given a description of the thing and then nothing happened. I thought I was supposed to start again in the new thing. There's a black hole on my map now, I'm there, but I don't want to go through without knowing what went wrong. Im now just sitting on the space station.

I think something screwed up when I completed the Atlas path. Any ideas? Tried Google but to no avail, and I don't want to read the Spoiler thread.
After I opted to do the thing, I was given a description of the thing and then nothing happened. I thought I was supposed to start again in the new thing. There's a black hole on my map now, I'm there, but I don't want to go through without knowing what went wrong. Im now just sitting on the space station.

No, that's pretty much it. The thing you thought you were supposed to do doesn't happen. You got everything you're going to get.

Raist

Banned
There were like 25 ships.
I took out about 10 before decided I was done with space combat.

I took down 35 a couple of times. It's actually easy, especially when you realize pirates in these space battles are like balls or jehova's witnesses.

OuterLimits

Apparently I've been funneled into an Atlas path where every system has already been explored. Have to admit I'm not real happy about that. 18 quintillion planets and Hello crams us all together? Worst part is having to read all the dumb names people come up with and having to just skip to the next system because there's nothing for me to discover.

I did spend a bit of time on one planet that two others had been to, trying to get the 100% payout for the last few creatures. Got it down to one but gave up after a while. So if you ever see the "Nah fam" system (ugh), find that last creature and you'll get an easy 350,000.

Just get off the Atlas path for a bit or even use a Black Hole to warp you elsewhere. Eventually you will find a system with Nada and Polo in it and can ask them to reconnect you to the Atlas Path. It does seem the game puts people on the same Atlas Path. Happened to me as well. Which might have been cool if multiplayer had indeed been in the game and I had a slight chance of actually seeing the other player.

uhm... extreme survival is still broken for me... (PS4, 1.08).

After getting it to work properly post 1.07 by waiting till it reached the amount of Sols for the current milestone, I visited now another extreme planet in another system and again it doesn't go up.

Come on...

magawolaz

They really need to tone down the Game Hints. After 60hrs I think I know how to land my ship or engage boost thrusters, thank you.

A bounty hunter objective spawned near the space station. I went after the poor guy but accidentally also shot the space station...

Well, first time I died in space combat.

somme

They really need to tone down the Game Hints. After 60hrs I think I know how to land my ship or engage boost thrusters, thank you.

Yeah there should be an option to disable them or just have them disable after 10 hours pf playing or something.

And I've been extremely unlucky when finding portals. I haven't tried any methods yet but after 100 hours of playing I haven't even randomly bumped into one.

Raist

Banned
Yeah there should be an option to disable them or just have them disable after 10 hours pf playing or something.

And I've been extremely unlucky when finding portals. I haven't tried any methods yet but after 100 hours of playing I haven't even randomly bumped into one.

Have you spun these chairs in the shelters 17 times tho? Otherwise it won't work.

:p

Happened to me last night, except someone immediately started firing at me. What I don't like is that those Distress Signals stay on your HUD the whole time you're in the system if you don't respond to them. Are those capital ships really that bad at defending themselves?

They need to start over with the Faction system and really do it right, or just scrap it and do something else with those ships. We don't know who we're fighting for/against in those battles and there's no real incentive to care.

Just get off the Atlas path for a bit or even use a Black Hole to warp you elsewhere. Eventually you will find a system with Nada and Polo in it and can ask them to reconnect you to the Atlas Path. It does seem the game puts people on the same Atlas Path. Happened to me as well. Which might have been cool if multiplayer had indeed been in the game and I had a slight chance of actually seeing the other player.

Mm, sounds risky considering the how buggy the game is. I'm just going to upgrade my warp drive and grind through this path and be done with it. It's a shame because I was actually enjoying doing the Atlas stuff, leisurely playing at my own pace, but apparently to get the best Atlas experience you had to rush through the game (these people's discoveries are all 3 weeks old).

KDR_11k

uhm... extreme survival is still broken for me... (PS4, 1.08).

After getting it to work properly post 1.07 by waiting till it reached the amount of Sols for the current milestone, I visited now another extreme planet in another system and again it doesn't go up.

Come on...

Maybe it IS "highscore" based, i.e. resets every time you leave the extreme condition?

Top Bottom