• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Maybe it IS "highscore" based, i.e. resets every time you leave the extreme condition?

I was recently in a system that had 3 extreme planets and it was most definitely cumulative for me. Could be that I was going from an extreme planet straight to another extreme planet though.

Mm, sounds risky considering the how buggy the game is. I'm just going to upgrade my warp drive and grind through this path and be done with it. It's a shame because I was actually enjoying doing the Atlas stuff, leisurely playing at my own pace, but apparently to get the best Atlas experience you had to rush through the game (these people's discoveries are all 3 weeks old).

It's really not. I encounter someone else's Atlas path, warped a few times, asked Nada to set me back on it and I was fine. Whole thing took less then an hour.

Maybe it IS "highscore" based, i.e. resets every time you leave the extreme condition?

I hadn't had any extreme planets until the patch so my count was 0.0 Sols, it looks like the counter continues whenever you land on an extreme planet regardless where you have landed before. I've found three now and my time is cumulative rather than restarting on each one.

I know it stops if you're sat in your ship though, you have to be, well, anywhere but your ship really :)

Raist

Banned
Well, went down to 42k ly from the center. And now warping away from it. That system better be worth it, Cochese.

It's really not. I encounter someone else's Atlas path, warped a few times, asked Nada to set me back on it and I was fine. Whole thing took less then an hour.

Hm ok thanks, I'll consider it. Definitely will take me more than an hour though, I'm still on my pre-order ship with no warp upgrades. ��

p.s. I find the upgrade path for crashed ships a rather odd design decision. Unless you use an exploit, I don't see how grabbing a crashed ship, fixing all its broken parts, and re-crafting your previous upgrades takes less time and money than just buying a ship from a trader, since you're only going up one slot at a time.

Hm ok thanks, I'll consider it. Definitely will take me more than an hour though, I'm still on my pre-order ship with no warp upgrades. ��

p.s. I find the upgrade path for crashed ships a rather odd design decision. Unless you use an exploit, I don't see how grabbing a crashed ship, fixing all its broken parts, and re-crafting your previous upgrades takes less time and money than just buying a ship from a trader, since you're only going up one slot at a time.

You only need to fix the pulse drive and launchers, then you just find another crashed ship, salvage the old one and keep moving up.

You only need to fix the pulse drive and launchers, then you just find another crashed ship, salvage the old one and keep moving up.

Yeah I know that's the trick people are using, but I don't really think that was Hello's intent. Regardless that trick doesn't feel right to me from a narrative POV, unless I was roleplaying as a tech scavenger or something.

Yeah I know that's the trick people are using, but I don't really think that was Hello's intent. Regardless that trick doesn't feel right to me from a narrative POV, unless I was roleplaying as a tech scavenger or something.

When ships get into the 151 million units range it becomes a necessity, which is horribly broken economy wise. That's if you want a 48 slot ship because you definitely don't need one. 30 slots is plenty for your ship, if your suit is fully expanded, the way the game is designed.

If I have a fully upgraded 48 slot ship, and see one with a different design I like more, it shouldn't cost me 9 figures in units.

KiraXD

im so pissed... i didnt realize i had to claim the crashed ships each time i found one +1 to my current ship, in order to exploit it to get a 48 capacity ship before the patch. i spent one day going to about 30 different crash sites thinking... theyre all only 1 more slot than my current one. i didnt know it was one more extra to EACH current one... gradually building more slots as you find more.

And now Korvax ruins my life with their stupid Gek transmission takeover.... fuckers.

r1chard

There seems to be something non-euclidean about the Euclid Galaxy... I've been warping away from the centre (for larks) and I've noticed that my 1,650ly jumps seem to only get me about 400ly further from the centre. Anyone know what's going on there?

Seiniyta

Anyone like not focusing at all reaching the center? I'm solely focused trying to discover every solar system and planet in the region I'm in now.

I've been searching merchants for days and nobody seems to sell Omegon. Creatures only poop out a little bit on a super rare frequency so that's not a good answer either. Where can I get some Omegon?

Best place is to find crashed ships and break down the installed equipment. That will get you some much faster than waiting for animals to poop it. Some vendors also do sell it, but it's pretty uncommon.

There seems to be something non-euclidean about the Euclid Galaxy... I've been warping away from the centre (for larks) and I've noticed that my 1,650ly jumps seem to only get me about 400ly further from the centre. Anyone know what's going on there?

They stretched the galaxy out in the 1.03 patch but only changed some of the numbers. I'm playing v1.00 after reaching the center, getting the platinum etc. with patches and I started 35,000 ly from the center.

Slay

Yeah I know that's the trick people are using, but I don't really think that was Hello's intent.

I've watched some streams before the 1.03 update, and i'm pretty sure that the game pre-patch didn't let you do that. When you accepted a crashed ship, the old ship just vanished, never to be recovered again. So the ability to not loose your ship it was a deliberate decision from their part.

daxy

You are taking a 'road' to the center along different systems that isn't the same distance as the straight line between your current place and the center.

r1chard

You are taking a 'road' to the center along different systems that isn't the same distance as the straight line between your current place and the center.
My travel away from the centre is a straight line, going out to the furthest a single jump will take me.

daxy

My travel away from the centre is a straight line, going out to the furthest a single jump will take me.

I dunno, but this is what I believe the progression looks like (obviously in the game there is also a Z axis though) and why there's that difference you described.

WAUM4Kb.png

With the grey line being the distance to/from the center, whereas the red line indicates your distance traveled between systems.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Random question I should have asked a long time ago: is the plasma grenade just as effective as the mining beam for mining material? I've been using both in tandem to save time, but I'm starting to wonder if they're actually destroying more material without yielding the same amount 1:1.

r1chard

I dunno, but this is what I believe the progression looks like (obviously in the game there is also a Z axis though) and why there's that difference you described.

WAUM4Kb.png

With the grey line being the distance to/from the center, whereas the red line indicates your distance traveled between systems.

Oh. Ugh. (thanks for the explanation)

Shaneus

I love the little stories that have popped up for me in this game. My most recent one:

* Find a cool looking abandoned ship. Obviously has damage.
* Scrape up enough resources to fix launch thrusters.
* Turns out, you can't launch without a working pulse drive.
* Walk across all the lands (turns out, only about 20 mins from my ship) to look for elements to fix pulse drive (only 5 zinc needed ffs).
* Find trade bot thing, buy zinc! Also, by luck, has a homing beacon to call my ship over.
* Now need to find other element that starts with C, rare as hell, to fix warp drive.
* While on my trip (at least I don't have to walk), find a Gek trader that can repair my ship for one Gek souvenir thing. So I go hunt for one of those. Eventually find one, but lost the fucking trader who said he could fix my ship.
* Defeated, I just fly around, find a port with several landing pads. Notice a Gek guy standing there, but also notice a ship exactly the same as mine that has docked. Decide to buy it, because it's fully working and only 500,000.
* Decide to go have a chat to the forlorn-looking Gek guy at the port, HE GIVES ME THE FUCKING OPTION TO REPAIR MY FUCKING SHIP.

I really, really, really fucking love this game. I think the only thing that could make it better is a Jean-Michel Jarre Spotify playlist playing in the background, but I enjoy the original score too much.

im so pissed... i didnt realize i had to claim the crashed ships each time i found one +1 to my current ship, in order to exploit it to get a 48 capacity ship before the patch. i spent one day going to about 30 different crash sites thinking... theyre all only 1 more slot than my current one. i didnt know it was one more extra to EACH current one... gradually building more slots as you find more.
Fuck, this is a thing? Or was it only a thing before a certain patch?

I've just been cruising around in my crappy 14-slotter (or whatever it is). Have I missed the boat on getting a high slot ship?

Random question I should have asked a long time ago: is the plasma grenade just as effective as the mining beam for mining material? I've been using both in tandem to save time, but I'm starting to wonder if they're actually destroying more material without yielding the same amount 1:1.

Yeah, I think the grenade gives you less. I really only use grenades for combat and digging my way out of caves when I get lost.

Meliora

So today was an exciting day in space! First I found a dragon or something close to a dragon at least.

Getting a picture of his head was hard already but the sentinels was determined to make it even harder. It's their job to be annoying after all.

Then I finally got Atlas pass v2 and v3. Wow that was underwhelming,
only checked out the rooms at a space station but all I got was some plants and plutonium. That felt so pointless. There has to be something else planned for the whole atlas pass deal.

And then I got the the centre of the galaxy and since I had managed to spoil it for me, I was prepared for what would happen and wasn't really disappointed.
Allthough, I admit it will get boring fast if the next galaxy is very similar to the first, and it does seem to follow the same formula so far. Only different thing I have noticed is that the centre is now purple. Hopefully they will add some more content soonish.

I'm still enjoying the game though and I'm currently pretending I'm a space photographer hunting interesting wildlife and nice landscapes which is pretty fun.

Meliora

I wish even a quarter of the things I usually find looked that cool.

Well I see a lot of 'boring' creatures too, lots of almost repeats with small variations. I'm very tired of mean tentacle monsters in caves who seem to be on every other planet for example. But I travel a lot. There is no way I can explore everything anyway so if I feel a planet is boring I leave straight away, sometimes just landing and taking off again. Even the planets I really like I try to not stay on for too long. So I guess I go through a lot of creatures!

pathos11

The "distance to the center" number is displayed wrong. The correct distance is four times that number.

Shaneus

That's the feeling I got too. Oh well, I guess I'll just stop using them.
Yup, same. One grenade blew up more in a single hit than a laser, but gave the same amount of resources.

I think the most optimal way to mine is using whatever the red laser upgrade thing is. A light tap on the trigger will pick up most large plutonium shards and makes mincemeat out of mining gold. You get more until you overheat/multitool energy too.

And drones don't stand a chance with it 8)

Shaneus

Double post, but I think this is worth it:
An excellent beginners guide to NMS, spoiler-free, and great to know what you should and shouldn't pay attention to early on (and pretty much throughout) the game. I think I actually learned a thing or two, too.

I'd almost say it's worth putting in the OT if it isn't there already, it's that worthwhile.

... why didn't you just "dig" straight above your ship?
Mostly because I wanted to see if I could get out the "right" way, and I was kinda curious how much lateral movement was possible when I wasn't getting stuck on stalactites. I'd briefly considered going further into the cave, but didn't want to have to hike to a base when I inevitably got truly stuck.

vix

Oh thank god, finally finished the extreme survival trophy on a planet with pissy sentinels. What a pain that was.

Zoology will be the next pain in the ass.

Unicorn

Is there a no pirates mod yet? Fucking sick of dealing with pirates. Unlike Elite there is no way to escape. Eventually they leave, but better hope you have enough zinc to refill your shields several times.

I don't give a shit about space combat and just want to play peacefully. I can't find a No Pirates mod on the mod website though.

Is there a no pirates mod yet? Fucking sick of dealing with pirates. Unlike Elite there is no way to escape. Eventually they leave, but better hope you have enough zinc to refill your shields several times.

I don't give a shit about space combat and just want to play peacefully. I can't find a No Pirates mod on the mod website though.

Just land on a planet.

OuterLimits

Iron, and Titanium also refills your shields and obviously much easier to accumulate. It is annoying how you can't outrun them.

They're annoying early on, but once you upgrade your ship with enough weapons, they become pretty trivial.

renzollo

Banned
They're annoying early on, but once you upgrade your ship with enough weapons, they become pretty trivial.

Let's list all the ways in which they're annoying

• They constantly interrupt you during whatever fun you're fighting to achieve in No Man's Sky
  • You can't run away from them if you don't feel like fighting
  • The reason you can't run away is that the same pulse engine you just used to escape the gravitational force of a planet is now incapable of operating near a few ships
  • They fly around you at what seems to be 2-3x the speed and maneuverability you're capable of while spamming hitscan lasers on you
  • "Fighting" them consists of holding the left mouse button for damage and constantly opening up your inventory to click the same several buttons to refill your shields
  • You can't defend yourself if you don't happen to have large stockpiles of the materials required to refill your shields
  • When you kill more than one of them either (a) nobody drops items other than the last guy or (b) all of the items dropped by the non-last guy disappear before you can pick them up
  • The loss penalty is completely trivial aside from the fact that it forces you to re-fly the 60 seconds out to your ship and then go farm more materials to repair the same gear you just farmed materials to build originally
  • Apparently the pirates have no interest in the cargo of the ship they just destroyed, which is so nonsensical you get an annoying headache from thinking about it
The pirate implementation is a great example of how badly and oddly they screwed up a lot of the game design in the released version. It's a completely neutered experience that has no real risk/reward, and all you're left with is another annoying repetitive interruption to deal with.

Top Bottom