• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

So I decide to share a weird occurence with discoveries I had on reddit:
Discoveries are acting strangely for me

Within minutes I am getting downvoted to oblivion for a post that isn't even trying to be negative outside of posting the obvious and I'm like, "seriously?" That sub is a place of two extremes, my goodness.

But to actually ask here as well, did any of you have something similar happen?

Don't sell Atlas stones tho.

If you're in a pickle and want to buy them up can't you exploit the fact the game resets a merchant and a planet's stock when you save -> exit game -> reload? I'm not on the Atlas Path, but I was on a planet where a trading terminal was selling them for around 2.4 mil a piece-- which is a lot but at some point you stop really needing large amount of cash-- but just outside the building with the GTT was a whole cavern network full of pearls.

I wasn't buying Atlas Stones then, but I was buying up a number of other things I needed for upgrades and so I'd do a pearl run, sell the pearls and buy up what I needed, saved, closed the game, loaded it back up again and all the pearls had "reset" and the seller's stock that I had purchased had refilled as well. So I could do it all over again. I haven't tried it with the stones yet but I'd imagine they could be exploited in the same way if you've sold a few and need to buy some back, no?

I would really appreciate it if the game won't regularly delete your set waypoints...

Yeah the waypoint system-- both naming and tagging-- really needed a lot more time in the oven with this game. I feel trapped if I've found a great spot, either for farming or just because it's gorgeous and I may want to come back and show it off some day, because I know if I wander too far I'm likely never going to find it again not to mention if I tag something else that one is going bye bye, so I end up sticking around probably longer than I would like.

curb

Banned
I tried a few Black Hole jumps and didn't seem to make much progress at all and I hate having ship components break. I'm starting to think I'm never going to bother getting to the center.

I had two things left I wanted to do: reach the center once and find a portal monolith. I did the latter last night but I think that might be it for me now. I may have said that here before but I do think I've reached the end of my time with NMS until they add new content.

I must say though, I've really enjoyed it. I just would have liked a little more finality at the end especially since I messed up my Atlas Path.

Raist

Banned
Yeah the waypoint system-- both naming and tagging-- really needed a lot more time in the oven with this game. I feel trapped if I've found a great spot, either for farming or just because it's gorgeous and I may want to come back and show it off some day, because I know if I wander too far I'm likely never going to find it again not to mention if I tag something else that one is going bye bye, so I end up sticking around probably longer than I would like.

Write down the system's name and coordinates.

It feels like this game is actively pushing against me. I keep getting crashes (it feels like with each patch release the game crashes more often) and the other night I noticed the text when communicating with an alien or monolith is cut off. I've noticed it 3 times during that session before it crashed.

Putting this game on the backburner for some time until it's properly patched and fixed.

So I decide to share a weird occurence with discoveries I had on reddit:
Discoveries are acting strangely for me

So am I understanding correctly that the issue is it let both of you name things and both of those names were showing up? Or was it that it was clearly credited to someone else and was allowing you to overwrite it? Both are lame, tbh. Though the former sounds definitely more like a bug than careless or shoddy design. I've haven't encountered those particular issues though.

The only weirdness with named things I've encountered is the occasions when I've flown into a system that was noted as undiscovered and yet when I arrive it was claimed by somebody else; some planets in the system were claimed by them and others by me when I discovered and uploaded them; still some planets that I named already had some flora and fauna named by the other person when I got there, etc .. stuff like that. My guess is that Their connection to the NMS server was in and out whilst they were in-system naming some things, and some things got through while others didn't.

Write down the system's name and coordinates.

A system, sure, I can do that now thanks to what you showed me. But what about specific points on a planet? I just think there ought to have been a less opaque, and more functional, way to thread your way back to some of your favorite spots. But I understand if that's wishful thinking.

Qwark

Does anybody know if you can find undiscovered species using the signal scanner? I swear I got it to say "Undiscovered lifeform nearby" using the transmission option. But that was when I first started playing and I didn't know what I was doing, and I haven't been able to reproduce it since.

daveo42

Banned
I tried a few Black Hole jumps and didn't seem to make much progress at all and I hate having ship components break. I'm starting to think I'm never going to bother getting to the center.

I had two things left I wanted to do: reach the center once and find a portal monolith. I did the latter last night but I think that might be it for me now. I may have said that here before but I do think I've reached the end of my time with NMS until they add new content.

I must say though, I've really enjoyed it. I just would have liked a little more finality at the end especially since I messed up my Atlas Path.

Components failing really does suck. I've stuck to jumping between blue star systems at about 1500 light years a jump. It'll only take me about 110 more jumps to make it to the center.

bnI7huA.jpg

mokeyjoe

The only weirdness with named things I've encountered is the occasions when I've flown into a system that was noted as undiscovered and yet when I arrive it was claimed by somebody else; some planets in the system were claimed by them and others by me when I discovered and uploaded them; still some planets that I named already had some flora and fauna named by the other person when I got there, etc .. stuff like that. My guess is that Their connection to the NMS server was in and out whilst they were in-system naming some things, and some things got through while others didn't.

Well if they only choose to upload certain things (such as things they choose to name) then these are the only discoveries that will show up for you. If they didnt bother uploading stuff they didn't name then it won't show as being discovered. Including systems. I often forget to upload them.

The weird and annoying problem I have is that I go back to upload previous discoveries and they don't show up. Everything is blank apart from the planet I'm on.

TyrantII

Does anybody know if you can find undiscovered species using the signal scanner? I swear I got it to say "Undiscovered lifeform nearby" using the transmission option. But that was when I first started playing and I didn't know what I was doing, and I haven't been able to reproduce it since.

Advanced Life Form. Its telling you there's an outpost with one of the 3 sentient species in it.

Z3M0G

I'm sure that duplicate NPCs have been more frequent since the patch for me. I don't mind if they have what i need but i swear one of them was following me around the planet in my last session! I know i tipped well by buying Gold at 3% over market but come on, it's a bit needy and annoying after a while :D

They all look so identical to me, I don't know how anyone could pick out duplicates...

curb

Banned
Components failing really does suck. I've stuck to jumping between blue star systems at about 1500 light years a jump. It'll only take me about 110 more jumps to make it to the center.

bnI7huA.jpg

I hear ya. I was all aboard the train the center until I did the maths on how many jumps vs black hole repairs. I'd probably still play around with the game more if I wasn't on such a long streak of barren planets.

They all look so identical to me, I don't know how anyone could pick out duplicates...

It's the names that tip me. I see it happen a lot at outposts with traders frequently flying in and out. You're going to see a lot of same four or so ships, and more than likely they'll have the same NPC flying them.

So am I understanding correctly that the issue is it let both of you name things and both of those names were showing up? Or was it that it was clearly credited to someone else and was allowing you to overwrite it? Both are lame, tbh. Though the former sounds definitely more like a bug than careless or shoddy design. I've haven't encountered those particular issues though.

My discovery screen shows 8 planets which means three of mine are duplicate entries of the three that were there when I first entered the system. Even more, some discoveries of Flora and Fauna show up two times in the same list of discoveries. The same clam was in row two (his) and row one (mine). Felt a tad lame, yeah. Mostly because I am unsure how his stuff is affected (I've sent him a message, no reply yet) and what it means for mine. The fact that it remained as is (mostly) when I rebooted the game and console is what made me go "that's kinda bleh".

Qwark

Advanced Life Form. Its telling you there's an outpost with one of the 3 sentient species in it.

No, I've gotten that, and I don't think that was it. That doesn't come from transmission, does it?

Hmm, maybe it was, idk, I just want to find these last 2 species.

Any groundbreaking features updated in PS4 since launch?

Wondering if it's time to return to this game yet.

Not really. It's been mostly bugfixes until now. Supposedly this (1.08) is the last "stability" patch before moving on to adding new stuff. We don't know if it's going to be the fabled base building or not yet but something new should probably come out soon. Maybe. Probably. Hello Games isn't exactly clear.

IronRinn

Found a planet covered in Vortex Cubes yesterday (one day after finding one with Gravitino Balls). Don't even bother fighting the Sentinels anymore. Just jetpack dash around collecting as many as I can hold and running back to my ship to sell. Don't even know what I'm going to use the units for at this point, I just can't leave all those cubes laying around.

carlos

Found a planet covered in Vortex Cubes yesterday (one day after finding one with Gravitino Balls). Don't even bother fighting the Sentinels anymore. Just jetpack dash around collecting as many as I can hold and running back to my ship to sell. Don't even know what I'm going to use the units for at this point, I just can't leave all those cubes laying around.

haha, I know what that feeling is like, spent a long while doing extreme survival while farming gravitino balls the way that you mention.

renzollo

Banned
I must have ticked off one of the No Man's Sky gods, because EVERY nice, lush planet with a good climate I land on has ultra hostile Sentinels :-(

All of the planets I land on are barren wastelands with the lowest level of sentinels. I wish there were more sentinels, I enjoy esploding them.

Shamelessly using the first post to show you a trailer I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBv_EHQoacs

All PS4 footage edited with ShareFactory.

EDIT: okay, second post.

Nice video. The part around 1:23 with the ship battles reminded me of my session last night. I've been playing super-pacifist mode, avoiding dogfighting whenever I can (outside of the forced "hostiles on route" pirate sections). But now I've got a fully kitted-out fighter and I figure, "huh, could be fun." As luck would have it, I warped into a new system right into a fracas between pirates and freighters. Previously, I would have let it be. But curiosity got the better of me (as did a righteous sense of vengeance when a pirate winged me despite me not joining sides yet), and it was on.

I've heard people complain that the ship combat is too simple, that it doesn't hold up to a more hardcore experience like Elite: Dangerous. That may be true. But what I experienced over the next 10 minutes was a visceral thrill that provided more excitement than I was honestly prepared for. I was rolling between ships, flying right along the surface of massive freighters, slamming on the brakes and spinning to catch my pursuers unaware, all while being very cautious not to let any errant shots strike my newfound allies. My upgraded cannons sliced through nimble fighters like a hot knife through butter. 24 pirates later, I had liberated the freighters from the scourge of interstellar piracy. My reward? Pretty much just whatever the pirates had dropped. But I could fly off into that red-tinged nebula with a sense of pride. The pirates will return. And I will be ready.

Raist

Banned
A system, sure, I can do that now thanks to what you showed me. But what about specific points on a planet? I just think there ought to have been a less opaque, and more functional, way to thread your way back to some of your favorite spots. But I understand if that's wishful thinking.

Ha... yeah. Why would you want to go back to a specific point though?

Ha... yeah. Why would you want to go back to a specific point though?

Well, you had mentioned not selling Atlas stones a few posts back and it reminded me of a building with a trade terminal I found a few systems back... selling an Atlas Stone relatively cheap... and surrounded by caves filled with pearls. A perfect place to exploit the resetting merchant stocks and forbidden item spawns if I ever was in need of loading up on those stones.

Just thinking about how it'd be impossible to get back to given the current way waypoints on planets work, let alone how cumbersome it is to thread back to a particular system. That's all. Just daydreaming ;)

Raist

Banned
Nice video. The part around 1:23 with the ship battles reminded me of my session last night. I've been playing super-pacifist mode, avoiding dogfighting whenever I can (outside of the forced "hostiles on route" pirate sections). But now I've got a fully kitted-out fighter and I figure, "huh, could be fun." As luck would have it, I warped into a new system right into a fracas between pirates and freighters. Previously, I would have let it be. But curiosity got the better of me (as did a righteous sense of vengeance when a pirate winged me despite me not joining sides yet), and it was on.

I've heard people complain that the ship combat is too simple, that it doesn't hold up to a more hardcore experience like Elite: Dangerous. That may be true. But what I experienced over the next 10 minutes was a visceral thrill that provided more excitement than I was honestly prepared for. I was rolling between ships, flying right along the surface of massive freighters, slamming on the brakes and spinning to catch my pursuers unaware, all while being very cautious not to let any errant shots strike my newfound allies. My upgraded cannons sliced through nimble fighters like a hot knife through butter. 24 pirates later, I had liberated the freighters from the scourge of interstellar piracy. My reward? Pretty much just whatever the pirates had dropped. But I could fly off into that red-tinged nebula with a sense of pride. The pirates will return. And I will be ready.

I dunno, I'm having an absolute blast with space combat. Join these battles every time I see one. Sure, it's not like a sim, but I don't care for memorizing 30 shortcuts and needing 4 button presses to fire or something. Although, I with there was an option to completely get rid of auto aim, because whenever it glitches out it's a lot more challenging and fun.

Actually just cleared one minutes ago, and one of these massive battlecruisers clearly had enough of this shit eventually and went absolutely ham on the pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQSNGTgRrs

Handy Fake

I dunno, I'm having an absolute blast with space combat. Join these battles every time I see one. Sure, it's not like a sim, but I don't care for memorizing 30 shortcuts and needing 4 button presses to fire or something. Although, I with there was an option to completely get rid of auto aim, because whenever it glitches out it's a lot more challenging and fun.

Actually just cleared one minutes ago, and one of these massive battlecruisers clearly had enough of this shit eventually and went absolutely ham on the pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQSNGTgRrs

A) That video is bloody amazing.
B) Just nearly drowned in a cup of tea laughing at the bolded bit.

Slay

bnI7huA.jpg

So you're about 44000LY away from the center, you've got pretty close, but black holes is still the best option to reach the center, despite the damages.

OuterLimits

This game is driving me crazy. So many broken aspects. I'm still getting crashes, and for some reason the blueprints seem to be screwed up in my game as well.

I restarted after patch 1.7 and now can't seem to find warp upgrades beyond sigma. Now everywhere I go I just get blueprints for everything I already know. I'm beginning to think the tau and theta are bugged and don't exist. Obviously without those, the game becomes pretty damn impossible and you can't visit green/blue stars.

Guess I'm pretty much done with the game. Shame.

mokeyjoe

This game is driving me crazy. So many broken aspects. I'm still getting crashes, and for some reason the blueprints seem to be screwed up in my game as well.

I restarted after patch 1.7 and now can't seem to find warp upgrades beyond sigma. Now everywhere I go I just get blueprints for everything I already know. I'm beginning to think the tau and theta are bugged and don't exist. Obviously without those, the game becomes pretty damn impossible and you can't visit green/blue stars.

Guess I'm pretty much done with the game. Shame.

I think I got tau from N&P. Can't remember. I don't remember getting Theta because I just bought a ship with one installed.

OuterLimits

I think I got tau from N&P. Can't remember. I don't remember getting Theta because I just bought a ship with one installed.

Unfortunately every ship I see in space stations only have a basic hyperdrive, or just a sigma upgrade. Same with crashed ships. I even tried buying blueprints off Polo but no luck.

I have warped 40+ times and pretty much have every blueprint except a couple exosuit ones.

I'm wondering if anyone else who started the game after the recent patches is perhaps having a similar issue. Granted, most started well before then.

daveo42

Banned
So you're about 44000LY away from the center, you've got pretty close, but black holes is still the best option to reach the center, despite the damages.

I'm north of 165k which should be 1.5k * 110, unless i'm not counting light years right or the scale is different in game.

Slay

I'm north of 165k which should be 1.5k * 110, unless i'm not counting light years right or the scale is different in game.

Ohhh boy, sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but Sigma+Tau+Theta in alignment gives you about 1600LY per jump, BUT this jump reduces the distance to center only by 400LY at MAX, so you'll need more than 400 jumps for that distance.

On the other hand, black holes gets you faster to the center, you can have 3-5 times more distance traveled using one.

Meliora

Ohhh boy, sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but Sigma+Tau+Theta in alignment gives you about 1600LY per jump, BUT this jump reduces the distance to center only by 400LY at MAX, so you'll need more than 400 jumps for that distance.

On the other hand, black holes gets you faster to the center, you can have 3-5 times more distance traveled using one.

This. I was doing normal warps and thought I jumped like 1600YL everytime but eventually (luckily lol) noticed that I never got that much closer. Changed to doing blackholes only and it went pretty fast. Didn't bother to repair my hyperdrives until 2 broke, then I would land and repair everything and go again. Even with those repair and fuel stops the countdown toawards the center went down a lot faster.

Last night was the second time I've gotten a message from an observatory saying something like, "A signal has been detected from a point light years away", and then after inputting the right code it will say, "You have detected a new world!", and then points to a ruin five minutes away.

It's obvious these observatories used to point to something in other planets or systems, and have been repurposed to point to local POIs. That's well and good, but if they're going to do that, don't just leave the old text in there! It's narratively nonsensical and just teases players about things that no longer exist.

If you 'one-shot' venom sacs you won't get any unwanted attention from the sentinels at all.

Huh, I guess my mining laser is still trash-tier then. Good to know though, thanks.

This isn't a bug, as such. There are multiple genders of each creature which can sometimes look quite different. If you don't name them the same thing, the one you name last replaces the first name.

From my experience whatever version you simply upload last replaces the previous version of the creature. I had named a creature and then uploaded a different gender using the default name, and the default name overwrote my named version. :/

Well, I'm glad some of you are having fun with the space combat. I don't compare it to sims; even compared to games like Wing Commander or X-Wing Alliance the combat is pokey and awkward and just doesn't feel good to me.

Agree about the auto-aim though; it's very heavy-handed.

mokeyjoe

Last night was the second time I've gotten a message from an observatory saying something like, "A signal has been detected from a point light years away", and then after inputting the right code it will say, "You have detected a new world!", and then points to a ruin five minutes away.

It's obvious these observatories used to point to something in other planets or systems, and have been repurposed to point to local POIs. That's well and good, but if they're going to do that, don't just leave the old text in there! It's narratively nonsensical and just teases players about things that no longer exist.

Personally I'd rather they add back in whatever was meant to be there rather than change the text.

Portals maybe...

Top Bottom