• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Jmille99

Any tips on finding "Extreme" planets? I need to get that trophy, and the last few nights Ive been travelling to different systems strictly to find some planets in the red. Havent found any...

Raist

Banned
Any tips on finding "Extreme" planets? I need to get that trophy, and the last few nights Ive been travelling to different systems strictly to find some planets in the red. Havent found any...

They're more common in systems with blue/green/red stars.

Anything cool on the horizon. Ever since 1.07 fucked up my pop-in, my playtime has dwindled dramatically.

Have you checked if it improved with 1.08?

Z3M0G

I haven't played in a few days due to Uncharted 4 and Star Trek Online, but even with this game's issues and how much I've personally taken part in raising awareness of its short-comings, this game really scratches an itch of mine that is very satisfying!

I loved playing Minecraft. But my favorite thing to do in Minecraft was never to mine, or craft... it was to explore. I loved just picking a direction and going... to see what types of crazy terrain formations I could come across. My favorite was mountain formations, naturally. Eventually they started adding in different biomes, types of trees, etc. So it was nice to see the different forests and such as well. Desserts, etc. That's where I found the most joy.

That's why I truly enjoy NMS. I don't spend very long on each planet unless i find something worth farming, but I love just going down, checking out the land formations, and zipping back out to the next one. I have seen some that truly surprised me. I have also recently gained an appreciation for caves... I feel they are very samey on almost all planets, but on my current planet I am farming items out of them and there are some crazy large ones to explore and get lost in.

The one real shame is that when I find something truly great, I need to allow myself to forget about it and move on... because I will simply not be able to return. It makes sense according to the rules of the game... but it would mean so much if there was a mechanism to return to favorite planets on the fly.

Spyware

Some pics from today that I really liked:

V1su3mR.png

2jeRr8C.png

And my fav:

I go back to this moon between every other planet to look for the missing creature. It's a Vortex moon so I've spent some extra time there, maybe around 5 hours now. I still can't find the thing. Gah.

The one real shame is that when I find something truly great, I need to allow myself to forget about it and move on... because I will simply not be able to return. It makes sense according to the rules of the game... but it would mean so much if there was a mechanism to return to favorite planets on the fly.

I feel like the best "academic" write-ups of NMS that I've read definitely underscore this aspect of the game, and then go on to extrapolate it as a meditation on games, or the things we commit time to for leisure in general, or human existence, etc..

I agree though, love it or loathe it, I think the game forcing you to leave things behind and move on is one of its core bullet points.

I also would like to revisit planet Macallan 18yr in the Single Malt-2 system. That place was fucking gorgeous.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have 3 gigs of screenshots of this fucking game on my PS4. I haven't even uploaded all of them. Insane.

I'll probably play some of it tonight or tomorrow, but I'll try and upload my screens (mainly so I can clear some HDD space). I'm on a new planet that has one elusive species for me to find, so I need to get that one before moving on. I still love this game, but I'm trying not to get burnt out on it, and have been saving my playtime for the weekends only. I want to pace myself for when new updates come out.

magawolaz

Thanks. I'm not keen on the delay though ...

I'll try that! Thank you.
The delay is only for the notification. That's why you need to press Share pretty much at the same time of closing the menu: there's a split second where the HUD hasn't come back yet.
Just try it, it'll come natural in a day or two :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally got the Atlas Pass v3, not that it's particularly useful at this point.

Also hit 1014 words learned, at which point I'd maxed out the three main languages. Who knows how many more Atlas words there are left to learn.

Also hit 1014 words learned, at which point I'd maxed out the three main languages. Who knows how many more Atlas words there are left to learn.

I've heard there's around 1111 words, so if you've maxed out the other 3 that'd leave around 97 Atlas words left. Again, if that 1111 number is accurate.

Some pics from today that I really liked:

The shot of the planet/moon looming large is awesome. I've had a similar experience or two in my NMS travels and it never fails to impress.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The delay is only for the notification. That's why you need to press Share pretty much at the same time of closing the menu: there's a split second where the HUD hasn't come back yet.
Just try it, it'll come natural in a day or two :)

I was wondering if that was the case. Cheers.

Anything cool on the horizon. Ever since 1.07 fucked up my pop-in, my playtime has dwindled dramatically.

I'm gonna wait and see what HG does with performance on PS4 Pro before I jump back in. The game will always "be there". It can't even really be "backlogged" because there's no "finishing" it.

I've got so many games to finish with more than a few on the horizon...NMS can wait a little while longer. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've heard there's around 1111 words, so if you've maxed out the other 3 that'd leave around 97 Atlas words left. Again, if that 1111 number is accurate.
Gotcha. In the future, whenever I pick up the game to do a couple planets or whatever, I'll keep hunting down monoliths.

I'd be curious about
ever reaching the center of the galaxy, restarting in the new one, and then maybe seeing the full translations during the Atlas path.

Gotcha. In the future, whenever I pick up the game to do a couple planets or whatever, I'll keep hunting down monoliths.

I'd be curious about
ever reaching the center of the galaxy, restarting in the new one, and then maybe seeing the full translations during the Atlas path.

When you start in a new galaxy, do you keep all the words learned thus far?

Have they patched this game any more after the day 1 patch? Had it gotten any better then it was at release time?

What about PSVR support? With PS4Pro coming out, do they have any plans for adding VR to it? This would a perfect game for VR.

r1chard

Currently scouring a moon for crashed ships in the hope that I can find that sweeeet model I saw up in the space station (asking price well over $100M) but ~15 ships in (probably more - I'm just going by the number of vortex cubes I've scavenged) and I'm still not there... I'm getting reasonably good at spotting crash sites from the air now :)

Have they patched this game any more after the day 1 patch? Had it gotten any better then it was at release time?

What about PSVR support? With PS4Pro coming out, do they have any plans for adding VR to it? This would a perfect game for VR.

we're on version 1.08 (vs. 1.03 which was the Day 1 patch) so yes, lots of stability and bug fixes. No new content as of yet, however the game has only been out a month and they said they'd get to work on feature/content updates once the bug smashing was finished.

As for VR, since PS4 Pro can't have exclusive content, I don't see NMS getting a VR mode for PS4P only users; only if it would also be available to OG PS4 users and I don't see that as a possibility. Would love to be wrong though.

I have 3 gigs of screenshots of this fucking game on my PS4. I haven't even uploaded all of them. Insane.

I'll probably play some of it tonight or tomorrow, but I'll try and upload my screens (mainly so I can clear some HDD space). I'm on a new planet that has one elusive species for me to find, so I need to get that one before moving on. I still love this game, but I'm trying not to get burnt out on it, and have been saving my playtime for the weekends only. I want to pace myself for when new updates come out.

Damn, I only have about 500mb of screenshots, but you're not alone man; I'm only 4 stones into the Atlas path and still have my pre-order ship. Taking it slow so that I actually want to still play when new content and features drop.

I'm getting reasonably good at spotting crash sites from the air now :)

I'm currently going through the same process without much luck. Got any tips for spotting them from the air? I've spotted a couple from the air randomly after seeing smoke rising from the crashed pods while I'm boosting past but generally I have to rely on finding a transmission tower first which is rather time consuming.

Spyware

Beautiful. Well done mate.
Thanks!
The shot of the planet/moon looming large is awesome. I've had a similar experience or two in my NMS travels and it never fails to impress.
Thanks, yeah I love that moon because of the big planet and the colors. It's blue/purple/red at night and then really bright yellow/pink during the day (last pic)

DeadEndThrills started taking screenshots. Fuck.....

Freakin unbelievable.....
Those parked ships in the air look extremely silly. Otherwise some cool compositions.

I'm currently going through the same process without much luck. Got any tips for spotting them from the air? I've spotted a couple from the air randomly after seeing smoke rising from the crashed pods while I'm boosting past but generally I have to rely on finding a transmission tower first which is rather time consuming.

Fly at a medium speed and watch out for smoke, stay low but not too low, I have only done it on barren moon type worlds and you soon get used to spotting them. Much quicker than going to transmission towers, I always get ruins or bases when doing it that way.

Loudninja

Yep they patched the game several times fixed lot of issues some still exist though.

c0Zm1c

Yeah that, but the biggest thing is that they have their landing gear out. It looks like they've parked on top of a tree then removed the tree. The ships are just standing in mid air. It completely ruins the whole picture because it looks super silly.

Ah, I didn't notice that.

Shaneus

I'm still mining on this amazing planet that's loaded with trading post droids (handy), vortex cubes, gravitational orbs AND arseloads of gold. Only downside is "extreme" sentinels, but they're easily dispatched.

Up to about 6m in credits right now, without any glitching thus far. I don't think I ever want to leave.

Raist

Banned
Yeah that, but the biggest thing is that they have their landing gear out. It looks like they've parked on top of a tree then removed the tree. The ships are just standing in mid air. It completely ruins the whole picture because it looks super silly.

These are ships about to land. They drop the contrails and the landing gear is out.
Or maybe I don't get what you mean exactly :p

I've been stuck on a 1 planet star system because Pirates broke my warp thingy and I can't find enough Copper to fix it - the astroids only have Nickle here

why did they have to fix the duplication trick?

since 1.08 it seems that planets with trees just kill the frame rate. Has anyone else noticed this? Apologies if I missed it, thread moves fast when you stop paying attention.
Trying to figure out if it's isolated to me or not.

Raist

Banned
since 1.08 it seems that planets with trees just kill the frame rate. Has anyone else noticed this? Apologies if I missed it, thread moves fast when you stop paying attention.
Trying to figure out if it's isolated to me or not.

It's weird, it's very "random" in a way. Mostly happens on snowy planets, for whatever reason. Pretty sure it already happened before 1.08 too.

daxy

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but every time I encounter a Gek monolith and it says crazy shit about how the Gek will DOMINATE ALL INFERIOR SPECIES, I can't help but think the Vy'keen and Gek models and dialogue were switched around. The Vy'keen are always all interloper this and that, whereas the Gek are super stoked to see me. Can't wrap my head around it each time it happens. Maybe it's because the Gek have a turtle thing going on and look pretty chill.

Are there any trading points/spaceships you can buy Copper from?

they are not selling Copper at all these guys

the only ones selling copper has been these little isolated trading pods in the middle of nowhere but they sell like 30 at a time once I buy I cannot buy again so it has been really slow

at 133 Copper so far I need to get to 200 lol

Number45

What ship part do you need to fix? I see a lot of copper asteroids in space, even when it's not the dominant metal type but obviously that's no good if you can't get off of the planet.

Top Bottom